Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lulu is one of those rare cases where both are valid, cuz again, Japan just flat out doesn't make or acknowledge the distinction between "l" and "r". It's like how Haru on Digimon Universe is simultaneously a reference to Hal 9000 and the real Japanese name of Haru.

I personally favor the idea that she goes by Lulu with her friends and that the Dark Tomorrow people refer to as Ruru insomuch they see her as a "thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Allarion posted:

RUR could also be a reference to the play R.U.R. which originated the word robot.

I actually read an interview with the Huggto director recently where someone brought this up and he was like "whoa, really? neat." So happy accident I suppose.

Anyway at least this is all better than some of the unfortunate "Flesh Precure" transliterations I've seen around

(e: which absolutely isn't meant to discount how hard English is for Japanese speakers, it's just uh, jarring to see)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 5, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:whitewater:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Allarion posted:

It's supposed to be Ruru cause her model number is RUR-9500. RUR could also be a reference to the play R.U.R. which originated the word robot.

But consider for a moment LUL-9500.

I’m just being difficult today, thanks for enduring.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Lulu is one of those rare cases where both are valid, cuz again, Japan just flat out doesn't make or acknowledge the distinction between "l" and "r". It's like how Haru on Digimon Universe is simultaneously a reference to Hal 9000 and the real Japanese name of Haru.

I personally favor the idea that she goes by Lulu with her friends and that the Dark Tomorrow people refer to as Ruru insomuch they see her as a "thing."

I believe one of the groups subbing it actually did just that (that is, Dark Tomorrow referred to her as Ruru while the Cures themselves called her Lulu), which was kind of a nice touch I felt.

Getting off that subject, what All Stars movies are worth watching? So far I've only seen DX3 and it honestly seemed like a bit of a clusterfuck (way too many characters and the plot barely had any time to breathe). I hear the more recent ones have slimmed things down to just 3 teams per movie which is far more manageable honestly (though it might be even better if they followed the Sentai route and just had the current team crossing over with the previous team).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The All Stars never get beyond being a fun time just seeing all the cures together, but of the movies the first and third is the best of the first three while the second suffers a bit due to trying to get the Heartcatches to mesh with the rest of the cures.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The All Stars never get beyond being a fun time just seeing all the cures together, but of the movies the first and third is the best of the first three while the second suffers a bit due to trying to get the Heartcatches to mesh with the rest of the cures.

How's Dream Stars (or Super Stars for that matter if it's available subbed anywhere)? There's only 3 teams in that one so I imagine it would probably be a little better as far as actually developing characters/story goes. Though it probably won't be available for a while I also hear that the most recent one is mainly just centered around the Hugtto and Futari Wa crews.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

How's Dream Stars (or Super Stars for that matter if it's available subbed anywhere)? There's only 3 teams in that one so I imagine it would probably be a little better as far as actually developing characters/story goes. Though it probably won't be available for a while I also hear that the most recent one is mainly just centered around the Hugtto and Futari Wa crews.

Haven't seen this years but the first Dream Stars are fun. Last years was also a good example of how good Toei and Gatayapens 3DCG is

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

All Stars Spring Carnival and New Stage 2 are my favorites, but I’d say they’re all worth watching.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My main issue with some of the early films is that they feel way too cluttered. It would have been a bit more interesting to slim it down and explore the past teams a bit more (that is, see what they've been up to post-series, how they mesh with the current group, etc), in other words I'd like to see something more akin to a Sentai Vs. movie. Speaking of which, I did enjoy the Futari Wa crossover earlier in Hugtto and look forward to seeing them interact a bit more in the new movie.

Reducing things down to 3 teams or less like they've been doing with the current movies is definitely a step in the right direction in that regard.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 5, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's why the first All Stars works cause you just have 4 teams not every team all at once

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's why the first All Stars works cause you just have 4 teams not every team all at once

Yeah, having watched a few more of them now the first All Stars movie and Dream Stars are much better in that regard as you actually get some interaction between the teams, whereas with the others you more often than not just get the initial setup and then spend a majority of the rest of the film getting bumped from action scene to action scene. It's a nice spectacle but don't expect a coherent plot or much character development for the massive cast.

Speaking of which, did Precure Super Stars (the crossover between Mahou, KiraKira, and Hugtto) ever get subbed? It's the only one I haven't managed to track down so far.

Incidentally, there actually was an All Stars-esque short as well that debuted a year before the first proper movie.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 5, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We usually dont get movie subs till the BluRay is out and this years All Stars isn't out yet I think

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

We usually dont get movie subs till the BluRay is out and this years All Stars isn't out yet I think

The Hugtto/Futari Wa movie is the one that was just released in theaters last month. What I'm talking about is a film from earlier this year that was apparently released on DVD/BluRay back in July.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 6, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I thought the All Stars/Super Stars wasn't out yet but turns out I was wrong whoops

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having seen all 4 on screen together I will say that Nagisa/Honoka and Saki/Mai don't look quite as similar as I initially remembered (their designs are still pretty close though, especially in the case of Honoka and Mai).

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Agreed, they’re unique and good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, has Precure ever done a suitless roll call (that is they do their pose and say their catch phrase/designation in their civilian form) the way Sentai generally does during its finales?

Also I find it interesting that the transformation seems to come with some level of spiritual possession (some of the girls are confused for a moment after doing their roll call for the first time and Cure Peach from Fresh seems to become almost a completely different person the first time she transforms).

I kind of hope they continue to experiment with more non-human Cures in the future (we've already got a fairy, an enchanted stuffed animal, a robot and possibly more I'm forgetting), a male Cure might be interesting too but probably not that likely (though I seem to recall at least one season that had something pretty close to that at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 6, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm gonna be that One Debbie Downer who doesn't want to see a male Cure, I am down for magical dudes in other series where it was planned from the start but Precure has always been about the power of (and love between - both platonically and romantically) girls to me. I would love to see more experimentation though... things like... a Chinese or Korean Cure who has to navigate being a minority in Japan, or a trans girl Cure.

Larryb posted:

(though I seem to recall at least one season that had something pretty close to that at least).

You're probably thinking of Rio (Ciel's sister) from Kira Kira. His whole plot arc with Ciel was that they wanted to grow up to be Precure together, (the "together" bit was emphasized) and although this never officially happened he was given the fan name Cure Waffle which one of the Kira Kira directors later used to refer to him in a tweet, so I guess he's about as close to an official male Cure as you're going to get.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm not sure if you could classify him as trans or just a guy who likes wearing women's clothing and doesn't let himself be shackled by traditional gender roles but we do already have Henri from the current series and he generally seems to be treated with respect by the writers.

Also, technically Rio did transform and fight alongside the team even if he wasn't officially classified as a Cure. You wouldn't even necessarily have to have a hypothetical male Cure even be a main character, just make him a one-shot that appears in a movie or something.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 6, 2018

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

(though I seem to recall at least one season that had something pretty close to that at least).

Cure Sebastian.

edit: DokiDoki is a joy.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 6, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I... wouldn't call a trans character a "happy medium" at all, just another type of girl to explore, the same way we have neurodivergent Cures in the form of say, Himari, who reads as autistic.

I guess there was a trans girl in... I think Mahou Shoujo Site? But like, can we have one in a series that doesn't exist to be edgy torture material.

(obligatory disclaimer that I'm not trans so if I'm out of line, whack me)

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 6, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sorry, de-lurking in this thread for a bit for a drive-by mention: in magical girl themed webcomic Sleepless Domain there's a trans magical girl character. The author said in the commentary to that strip that sometimes she was asked "can be trans girls be magical girls?" and her answer was "of course, all girls can be magical girls."

The author also mentioned that she wouldn't write any non-binary magical girl in the webcomic, because "the gender spectrum is awfully complicated and if I wrote a NB magical girl I'm afraid I would give the wrong impression, i.e. 'this is how it works for all NB people all the time' which would be erasing diversity."

Mention over, sorry for the drive-by. Re-lurking now.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Wait, come back, you’re cool.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Oh nice, I never read very far along in that comic because I got distracted by something or other but I might pick it up again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I... wouldn't call a trans character a "happy medium" at all, just another type of girl to explore, the same way we have neurodivergent Cures in the form of say, Himari, who reads as autistic.

I guess there was a trans girl in... I think Mahou Shoujo Site? But like, can we have one in a series that doesn't exist to be edgy torture material.

(obligatory disclaimer that I'm not trans so if I'm out of line, whack me)

Regardless I'd like to see them keep playing with the formula a bit and diversifying the cast (assuming next years season is indeed space themed that sounds like the perfect excuse to do something like that).

I'd also kind of like to see a Blue Cure that was a bit more outgoing (a lot of them generally tend to be varying degrees of Ami Mizuno). That's not a bad thing per se but you don't really need to tie a specific personality trait to a particular color every time either. Because of that, the Blues tend to be a little less memorable to me compared to the rest of the team.

That said, there isn't really anyone in the current show that I actively dislike (though Hana and Emiru are probably my favorites), it also feels like every member of the team gets equal billing and it's not explicitly Pink focused.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well, I don't think most of us trans girls would consider ourselves 'in lieu' of a dude, we consider ourselves women, whole and complete, just with some different experiences. But that's as may be, more importantly: Yes please trans magical girls! It could be a very interesting way to explore trans issues surrounding who you want to be (but it'd probably be too depressing to have the inevitable dysphoria when she detransforms if she's not far along transitioning, for example). Super validating and cute though!

(PS Sailor Jupiter = trans)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Well, I don't think most of us trans girls would consider ourselves 'in lieu' of a dude, we consider ourselves women, whole and complete, just with some different experiences. But that's as may be, more importantly: Yes please trans magical girls! It could be a very interesting way to explore trans issues surrounding who you want to be (but it'd probably be too depressing to have the inevitable dysphoria when she detransforms if she's not far along transitioning, for example). Super validating and cute though!

(PS Sailor Jupiter = trans)

My apologies, it was a stupid argument in retrospect and has since been edited out of my posts. I agree It still would be nice to see regardless (and we already have characters like Henri in the series so I'm sure the writers would be able to pull it off respectfully). Out of curiosity though, why do you say Jupiter is trans?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 6, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Larryb posted:

I'd also kind of like to see a Blue Cure that was a bit more outgoing (a lot of them generally tend to be varying degrees of Ami Mizuno). That's not a bad thing per se but you don't really need to tie a specific personality trait to a particular color every time either. Because of that, the Blues tend to be a little less memorable to me compared to the rest of the team.

Watch Heartcatch!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Allarion posted:

Watch Heartcatch!

Ah right, forgot about Erika. She's good too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's also Hime (eh) and Miki from Fresh.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Don't forget Cure Gelato! She might actually be my favorite blue.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Allarion posted:

Watch Heartcatch!

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Allarion posted:

Watch Heartcatch!

The theme song is still stuck in my head.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair enough, I think the only thing that's remained constant throughout the series is the leads being huge dorks who make friends easily and generally have some kind of personality quirk and/or catchphrase.

Other common tropes include Blue being the "smart one" of the group, Yellow being a tomboy and Purple being stoic and serious, but this isn't always the case.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 6, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's kind of annoying when everyone assumes all the Pinks are dumb, though. Tsubomi, Mana, Megumi, Haruka, and Mirai at least are supposed to be good students.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, which Precure was it who took her entire moveset from Mazinger Z?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

They do a good job of picking different archetypes for each color, we just don’t remember because color is a stronger component in memory than personality. Sentai theming can be a double edged sword.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah. There's not really any consistent personality type across the Yellows at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah. There's not really any consistent personality type across the Yellows at all.

Pinks and Blues seem to be a bit more consistent in that regard but as others mentioned even that has a bit of variation here and there. And yeah, like you said not all Pinks are idiots but in general they do seem a bit quirkier than some of their other team members.

Which I don't mind exactly as a good number of my favorite Cures are generally Pink (or Pink-equivalent as Nagisa is technically a Black, of which I believe there has only been one other member in the series' history) or Yellow.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 6, 2018