Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

I went ahead and bought the cheap cleaver posted earlier in this thread.

Not as heavy as I'd imagined, but heavy enough. Need to put a bevel on it, I suppose. Don't really know how to do that. :confuoot:

:toot: that's a my knife

Take any sharpening thing you want; the knife cheap enough to not worry about loving up if you do it bad. It's also my favorite drat tool for any vegetable or nut or really anything that isn't a protein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for one of those cheap chinese cleavers on amazon? i want to get one, and would prefer not to deal with waiting weeks from one of the chinese freight sites.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got this one. It’s a complete beater but it magically flies through onions with the least resistance of any of my knives, maybe because the sides are rough and bumpy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00018U1J6/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

I'd go with one of these (carbon steel). I like the # 3 size. Shipping is hella fast - I think I got mine in three or four days. Lot of other great stuff there too

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/vegetable-cleaver/

ross the boss fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 6, 2018

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Both of those look pretty much identical to the one from Ali for slightly cheaper depending on coupons and without the wait.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I got this one. It’s a complete beater but it magically flies through onions with the least resistance of any of my knives, maybe because the sides are rough and bumpy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00018U1J6/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ross the boss posted:

I'd go with one of these (carbon steel). I like the # 3 size. Shipping is hella fast - I think I got mine in three or four days. Lot of other great stuff there too

https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/vegetable-cleaver/
lol at the 2x price markup on amazon for the #4.

Keep in mind that even the #1 sold by Wok Shop is a small-rear end Chinese cleaver/sangdao. I don't still have mine, but I think it was around 210mm (vs around 230 for a CCK KF1301). The #4 is more like 190mm.

They're...okay. The CCK cleavers are all workmanlike, no frills but well-made and solid for an inexpensive blade. I think the fit and finish on the SBZs is slightly better, although I think this is only really noticeable on the higher-end stainless `pro' models (that is, the ones that are around US$30 instead of around US$20). The fit and finish on the Wok Shop cleavers is pretty cheap. I don't recognise the brand markings etched on the blade---I still have a #4 and it says it's a #4 sangdao at the bottom, and above that says (I think---it's pretty faint, hard to make out, and my Chinese is basically non-existent) 利顶锋. Li Ding Feng?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I decided to part out my turkey before cooking it this year. Sharpened my masamoto gyuto before doing it and accidentally sliced clean through a thigh bone while going for the joint. No pressure, just sliced through in one stroke :eyepop:

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Anyone able to tell if these knives are any good?
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/60482290

From a brief google Sabatier isn't guaranteed to mean a lot, and I can't find the specific identifier they list, Sabatier Gastronome.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
That's a cool knife set, old school i think with those bolsters. The price is getting pretty high though. What's shocking is how much the cutco knifes are reselling for. They're the Kirby vacuums of knives.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Did some research out of curiosity and found this link with some info: https://www.chowhound.com/post/identifying-sabatier-835070

Went and looked at eBay after and I guess if I saw this set on the shelf of a Goodwill for $50 I'd grab it. But with a steel blade braised to an aluminum bolster and tang it would get pieced out in eBay and the money used for something better. :shrug:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I'd like to get my wife a nice knife or two for Christmas. She primarily uses a Chinese cleaver, but she tends to use it for both soft things (veggies) and hard (ribs, frozen meat), and the websites for the nice cleavers (Hencklels, Wusthof, Zhen) recommend against cutting anything hard. Any advice on whether I should go with a good cleaver that could be used for both, a cheaper cleaver (Winco?) for the harder stuff and a nice Santoku for routine cutting, or something else?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Are D shaped handles handed? I cut with my left hand, and wonder if a D handled gyuto would be ill advised?

I’m looking for something 250-270mm on CKTG in the $300 range and a set of stones to keep it sharp.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm a little bit confused as to why people would prefer a cleaver to a laser when cutting veggies but who am i to judge?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Taima posted:

I'm a little bit confused as to why people would prefer a cleaver to a laser when cutting veggies but who am i to judge?

yeah you suck

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are D shaped handles handed? I cut with my left hand, and wonder if a D handled gyuto would be ill advised?

I’m looking for something 250-270mm on CKTG in the $300 range and a set of stones to keep it sharp.

They are. Get an octogon, oval, or lefty.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

CKTG does tons of custom handles for their knives, particularily a lot of the nicer ones that come to them without handles, so if there's one you absolutely have your heart set on with a D handle there's a chance if you message them that they'll put a different handle on it. I don't know if they've ever done this before, but it can't hurt to ask.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I picked up one of those $10 carbon steel cleavers and right off the bat it's become my favorite over the $20 stainless cleaver from amazon because it takes a great edge without a lot of work and keeps it better

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Taima posted:

Cleavers are used exclusively in China. Not sure why but if you know what you're doing you can do pretty fine work with one.

I always got the cheapest cleaver I could and it was just for smashing through bones and whatnot. When it's totally hosed up get a new one. The $4 ones I'd pick up in China would snap in half occasionally but, it's $4 and Chinese so what do you expect.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

The $4 ones I'd pick up in China would snap in half occasionally but, it's $4 and Chinese so what do you expect.

To be simultaneously electrocuted and given cancer.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

They are. Get an octogon, oval, or lefty.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

CKTG does tons of custom handles for their knives, particularily a lot of the nicer ones that come to them without handles, so if there's one you absolutely have your heart set on with a D handle there's a chance if you message them that they'll put a different handle on it. I don't know if they've ever done this before, but it can't hurt to ask.

Yeah, I probably don’t need anyone to change handles or anything. I’ve been using the same whustoff or henckles or whatever set we got nearly 20 years ago, so anything will be a big improvement.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Cleavers are used exclusively in China. Not sure why but if you know what you're doing you can do pretty fine work with one.

I always got the cheapest cleaver I could and it was just for smashing through bones and whatnot. When it's totally hosed up get a new one. The $4 ones I'd pick up in China would snap in half occasionally but, it's $4 and Chinese so what do you expect.

I just had a cheap chinese knife snap in half while cutting butter last week. lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fart simpson posted:

I just had a cheap chinese knife snap in half while cutting butter last week. lol.

Nice. Mine at least snapped on bones.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sharp cheddar

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
While cutting frozen meat I chipped my friend’s Chinese cleaver. It was a huge chip, but kind of like a mouse hole and just big enough to fit my thumb, so after I told him about it and promised to buy him a new one I put ketchup all over it and pretended I cut my thumb off to his girlfriend

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I've been thinking of upgrading from my trusted victorinox chef's knife and my SO told me she would get me one for christmas. After listening to my knife ramblings for a year or so she had the forethought of letting me pick the knife, and I've been eying the chef's knife from this series: https://www.macknife.com/products/chef-series-set-3-pcs-chef-31

I prefer rocking to straight up and down chopping however, and I'm a bit unsure if that knife is suited for that stuff - it resembles a santoku more than a french chef's knife. Any thoughts?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mac is just a japanese brand so they have that profile look. Seems like a rocker to me.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Mac is just a japanese brand so they have that profile look. Seems like a rocker to me.

Good to know. I'm gonna go fiddle with it next week, here's hoping they have some chopping board I can try it out on.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Catpain Slack posted:

Good to know. I'm gonna go fiddle with it next week, here's hoping they have some chopping board I can try it out on.

The tip is pretty low so it might be more of a push-cut type knife, but as long as you handle it you'll get a pretty good idea if it has enough belly to rock the way you want it to.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sharp cheddar

Apparently sharper than your knife

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sharp cheddar

Not made for battoning.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Catpain Slack posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading from my trusted victorinox chef's knife and my SO told me she would get me one for christmas. After listening to my knife ramblings for a year or so she had the forethought of letting me pick the knife, and I've been eying the chef's knife from this series: https://www.macknife.com/products/chef-series-set-3-pcs-chef-31

I prefer rocking to straight up and down chopping however, and I'm a bit unsure if that knife is suited for that stuff - it resembles a santoku more than a french chef's knife. Any thoughts?

Upgrade from the chef line to the pro line, get just the paring and 8' chef for the same price as that set. They're definitely push/pull knives though, rocking is doable but not really natural feeling.

Speaking of what's the suggested solution to "I want my knife factory sharp and to stay that way". I've been using the trizor xv on cheap victorinox/tojiros and I'm wondering if it'd be a fools errand to use on nicer blades.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

So, I received a Shun Premier Nakiri - it’s a gorgeous knife and if it’ll hold up I’d love to keep it, but, from a long term performance vs cost standpoint should I consider swapping it out for something else? I know a common statement with Shun is they’re only worth it if you buy them less than MSRP, which was the case here — Just a little concerned after reading some of the reviews with chipping, etc. (I have a Victorinox right now for heavier duty / beater knife type work)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shuns are good. any Japanese knife will have tales of chipping due to being harder. someone here chipped one on a chip.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I love my Shun, I just don’t cut anything with it that has bones because there’s a 100% chance it’ll chip. However it’s easy enough to sharpen chips away, and otherwise it holds an incredible edge. I’ve never chipped it chopping anything else.

I would gladly replace my Wusthofs for Shuns if I had the money.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

emotive posted:

So, I received a Shun Premier Nakiri - it’s a gorgeous knife and if it’ll hold up I’d love to keep it, but, from a long term performance vs cost standpoint should I consider swapping it out for something else? I know a common statement with Shun is they’re only worth it if you buy them less than MSRP, which was the case here — Just a little concerned after reading some of the reviews with chipping, etc. (I have a Victorinox right now for heavier duty / beater knife type work)

Shuns are great knives and you have misinterpreted the ideal advice.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Awesome! I will start using it right away, then. I only prep vegetables so I'm not worried about hitting bones or anything like that, and like I said I have a Victorinox for hard stuff like squashes, etc...and if anything does happen it seems like they have a pretty good support system.

Now to pick up a knife block... Thanks all!

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 26, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Important knife advice: Use a knife you like using.

Whatever it is. Cheap, expensive, forged by a samurai master out of rare metals or stamped in a Chinese factory. Doesn't matter. If it cuts and you like it, use it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Shuns are a little overpriced but I’ve had one for over a decade and I still use it daily.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I sleep in a big bed with my knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've worked with some folks who had Shuns in restaurant kitchens that they weren't gentle with and they held up fine. Maybe you can't quite abuse the poo poo out of them like a Victorinox but I think it's exaggeration to say you need to baby them.