Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The japanese interview from not too long ago with both Toby and ZUN where they both talk about enjoying each other's games and music etc makes the implementation of a grazing system in this game make a lot of sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/tobyfox/status/1059856695525101568

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I think dogs should vote!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Deltarune Go to the polls

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
You try to vote, but the only choice is Annoying Dog

your choice doesn’t matter

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nyaa posted:

You try to vote, but the only choice is Annoying Dog

your choice doesn’t matter

The good news is that’s what I was going to pick anyway

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
*insert lukewarm take about how a dog would be a better public servant than anyone running for Congress right now*

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Aisu posted:

So, I have a theory on the fluffy good boy that I don't think has shown up yet in the thread, so I figured I'd drop it in.

In the endgame sequence, Toriel notes that Kris, when younger, had a pair of red horns on a headband that have since gone missing. The specific note of the color is striking, since none of the boss monsters have red horns - but Ralsei sure does!

It's possible that a younger Kris still struggling to fit in wore the horns to school and got bullied/teased about them, eventually throwing them in the back of a supply closet in a fit of anger and then leaving them there to get buried under various school supply detritus. That gives Ralsei a physical "base" like the various children's toy Darkeners have, a childhood item that has been discarded and left in the dark.

If so, Ralsei is less Asriel AU and more Little Kris' Ideal Self - a boss monster instead of a human, polite and sweet and smart instead of weird and offputting and doing all the wrong things, etc. The sibling they wish they could have been to Asriel, the kid they wish they could have been to Toriel and Asgore. Add to that the loneliness of being left behind for years and the instinctive connection to and love for Kris, and you get a lonely fluffy prince.

This makes the Kris meta theories potentially even sadder. It's possible this whole thing is meant to be some Labyrinth-ish journey through Kris and Susie's childhoods to teach them about friendship and growing up and so on, and probably Kris should have some feelings about and react to Ralsei turning out to be their childhood OC, but of course Kris just stands there, staring, waiting for your input. You're hijacking their story.

I was going to post this but decided against it.

I think it's a easy confirm too given the intro has you build your ideal body, getting rid of it and then saying you can't choose who you are.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Supersonic Shine posted:

*insert lukewarm take about how a dog would be a better public servant than anyone running for Congress right now*

quote:

somehow, at the end of the day... a small, white dog became president of the underground. it sleeps on the throne and does absolutely nothing. strangely, it seems this is the best life for everyone.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I won’t mind if toby go back to black and white color to finish the next game in few months instead. :(

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

something something, your choices dont matter in this world

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Do you feel like the final game is going to be called deltarune? I feel like deltarune as a name is supposed to be part of the weird fakeout where this was supposed to be presented as a survey for players then "surprise! it's a game!" that is super super half hearted and seems to only exist in the file name and not followed through.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you feel like the final game is going to be called deltarune? I feel like deltarune as a name is supposed to be part of the weird fakeout where this was supposed to be presented as a survey for players then "surprise! it's a game!" that is super super half hearted and seems to only exist in the file name and not followed through.

It's gonna be called Undertale Hard Mode.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Undertale 2: Twin Sans

edit: Sans of Liberty

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's gonna be called Undertale Hard Mode.

Undertale: Big Oof edition

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/KenjuTE/status/1059879643157852161

My friend did a art so I'm sharing it now

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Undertale 2: Twin Sans

edit: Sans of Liberty

Guns of the Papyrus

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It will be call Nude Alert: Anagram Edition

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tell your friend they did good.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Gun's of the Papyrus

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kinda think it's unavoidable that the last scene is supposed to invoke the Undertale genocide ending. Like, Kris's eye glows red. Evil red eyes have nothing to do with Pie Theory and self harm. Not saying this means Kris is Chara or anything, just that the connection thematically for the presumed audience of Undertale players is unavoidable and probably intended.

Also do we still really need spoiler tags.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Aisu posted:

So, I have a theory on the fluffy good boy that I don't think has shown up yet in the thread, so I figured I'd drop it in.

In the endgame sequence, Toriel notes that Kris, when younger, had a pair of red horns on a headband that have since gone missing. The specific note of the color is striking, since none of the boss monsters have red horns - but Ralsei sure does!

It's possible that a younger Kris still struggling to fit in wore the horns to school and got bullied/teased about them, eventually throwing them in the back of a supply closet in a fit of anger and then leaving them there to get buried under various school supply detritus. That gives Ralsei a physical "base" like the various children's toy Darkeners have, a childhood item that has been discarded and left in the dark.

If so, Ralsei is less Asriel AU and more Little Kris' Ideal Self - a boss monster instead of a human, polite and sweet and smart instead of weird and offputting and doing all the wrong things, etc. The sibling they wish they could have been to Asriel, the kid they wish they could have been to Toriel and Asgore. Add to that the loneliness of being left behind for years and the instinctive connection to and love for Kris, and you get a lonely fluffy prince.

This makes the Kris meta theories potentially even sadder. It's possible this whole thing is meant to be some Labyrinth-ish journey through Kris and Susie's childhoods to teach them about friendship and growing up and so on, and probably Kris should have some feelings about and react to Ralsei turning out to be their childhood OC, but of course Kris just stands there, staring, waiting for your input. You're hijacking their story.

Hey quit stealing my thunder :mad:

McFrugal posted:

If there's some twist with Ralsei it could be that he's not even a real person.
What if the Dark World is a world created from the make-believe wishes of children? Playing pretend with a deck of cards and chess/checkers, or... a headband with red horns on it. Ralsei is who Kris wishes they could be(but you can't choose who you are), while the Card Kingdom is one created by the imagination of all the other kids. Ralsei's kingdom is empty because Kris didn't make up any friends to go along with him. Or maybe it's empty because Kris doesn't have any friends.

Kris discarded the headband. The games got locked up in the unused classroom. The Dark World is sealed away.

I guess I'll spoiler tag it this time.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

somepartsareme posted:

something something, your choices dont matter in this world

I hope these lovely takes doesn't mean you aren't voting (if you're American)

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

@FoxNews retweeted: PROOF of voter fraud! Bleeding heart millennial is allowed to bring DOG to vote! We need stronger voter ID laws!!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

I found Scarlet Forest to be pretty wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LT30cG29Bs

There's just something about it that's... cozy and inviting, while also invoking a sense of adventure

This really reminded me of Oxenfree.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Kinda think it's unavoidable that the last scene is supposed to invoke the Undertale genocide ending. Like, Kris's eye glows red. Evil red eyes have nothing to do with Pie Theory and self harm. Not saying this means Kris is Chara or anything, just that the connection thematically for the presumed audience of Undertale players is unavoidable and probably intended.

Also do we still really need spoiler tags.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

That look like poop.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Nyaa posted:

That look like poop.

Apparently nobody's uploaded a pic of the deltarune pie yet so I had to make do

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Terper posted:

I hope these lovely takes doesn't mean you aren't voting (if you're American)
Excuse you, my takes are mediocre, not lovely. Also, I’ve already voted.

Going back on topic, if that theory about Raslei being young Kris’s ideal self comes true (and it’s a drat solid theory, despite what I’m about to say), I expect an absolute deluge of jokes about Raslei being Kris’s fursona.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Supersonic Shine posted:

Going back on topic, if that theory about Raslei being young Kris’s ideal self comes true (and it’s a drat solid theory, despite what I’m about to say), I expect an absolute deluge of jokes about Raslei being Kris’s fursona.

I was already thinking that, I just didn't want to be the first to say it out loud.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I like how half of the twitter art I see for Ralsei can't seem to decide if he has just paws or walks around with little booties on. I mean I just naturally assumed he had boots to go with the Paddington look of 'big coat, big hat.'

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Supersonic Shine posted:

I mean you can do worse in life than wanting to be smart and diligent and nice to everyone and ask for nothing in return other than maybe some reciprocated affection, and also a goddamn adorable fluffy goat like the rest of your family rather than a weird human made out of blood

This whole angle puts Ralsei's personality in a fairly depressing light, he's so goddamn needy (in a sweet way) that it's difficult to imagine how sad and lonely Kris must have been

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Well at the start of the game, Kris still seems sad and lonely. I don't think the idealized self is from too far in the past.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thompsons posted:

I like how half of the twitter art I see for Ralsei can't seem to decide if he has just paws or walks around with little booties on. I mean I just naturally assumed he had boots to go with the Paddington look of 'big coat, big hat.'

The sprite implies it’s a pair of pointy toe boots, however the reveal at the end of Chapter 1 throws that into question. Is he a white goat in black boots? Or would his feet be white too if he stood fully in the light? The world my never know

Also the boots complete the whole wizard look he’s got going on...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

RabidWeasel posted:

This whole angle puts Ralsei's personality in a fairly depressing light, he's so goddamn needy (in a sweet way) that it's difficult to imagine how sad and lonely Kris must have been

The only flaw I see in the theory, as the oldest of two sons, is that "desperation for acknowledgement and approval from a cool older brother" tends to involve more being an annoying poo poo to get a rise out of your older brother than groveling deference.

Edit: Or maybe it's just that I wasn't cool??? :pwn:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I think it’s call inferiority complex instead of depression.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Sans Undertale nude

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How to delete posts

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The lack of interest and withdrawal from their family and classmates indicates depression because Kris doesn't take pleasure or have opinions about things. We can see that from the lack of objects in the room, awards or otherwise. Inability to play piano like they once could may be a sign. No hobbies because nothing makes them happy. The only trait we're aware of throughout the game outside of the make belief world is that Kris likes pie and is shy, but doesn't even take a slice before collapsing into bed exhausted.

An inferiority complex would typically be hinted at via 2nd place trophies in decor, Kris sharing the same interests in Asriel, wanting to be just like him, etc. I think that Kris's issues are deeper then that, and if Kris really had an inferiority complex it would be mostly resolved by their brother leaving or shown by a competitive aspect of their personality at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GunnerJ posted:

The only flaw I see in the theory, as the oldest of two sons, is that "desperation for acknowledgement and approval from a cool older brother" tends to involve more being an annoying poo poo to get a rise out of your older brother than groveling deference.

Edit: Or maybe it's just that I wasn't cool??? :pwn:

Different people handle the quest for sibling love and support in different ways. From what we've seen though yeah, in real life Kris often was more creepy and annoying than cute. He pulled mean pranks, he had trouble talking to people, he always wanted to hang out with the older kids because it was hard for him to connect to anyone other than his brother, among many other red flags for social maladjustment. Ralsei is less "What Kris was actually like as a kid" and more "what Kris wishes he was like as a child" which is: Sweet, social, eager to help, and just the cutest most lovable little monster ever :3: (and not a gross human full of blood).

Nyaa posted:

I think it’s call inferiority complex instead of depression.

If I had money to bet, I would put a thousand down on Kris having both of those things.