Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Section Z posted:

Not when in your campfire crafting menu you don't :v:

They're not going to shoot at the horse if you aren't near the horse in this situation. You're just going to get dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
How do you stick up stores without getting instantly made?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Section Z posted:

While 30 premium cigarettes at once makes me wish I could just smoke em two at a time if it will still make me take one puff then throw it away.

There should definitely be a way to hold X to chainsmoke

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Section Z posted:

My single greatest disappointment in this game is that the cook prompt when holding an animal is just a shortcut to regular campsite crafting.

Is it so wrong that I wanted to cook and eat an entire deer whole, rather than a few slivers at a time? Clearly the game should agree, if I'm so often 10% underweight despite my love of casual hunting.

My horses have been at peak fitness nonstop since the stable tutorial though :buddy:

Yeah, I wanna see an entire deer on a spit roasting, monster hunter style

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Where the hell did my war horse go? I loaded up old saves, because I know she didn't die, and I'm stuck with some stanky stallion.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've picked up some hatchets and a civil war knife, but can't find them anywhere anymore. Is there a way to switch to them or not?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If I replay a mission do I have to do all of the objectives to get gold? Or just the ones I missed the first time?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Where can I get a bath in chapter 3 that isn’t a half hour horse ride away?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pirate Jet posted:

The saloon in Rhodes

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, the cougar challenge is pretty difficult because they only spawn in 2 places in the parts of the map north of Blackwater.

Also, I believe that the cougars in those random events (and most animals in random events) will give you perfect pelts, so you if you get into a random event where a cougar or wolves are trying to kill someone, chances are the pelts will be perfect (at least 1 of the wolves in a 3 pack) if you use the right weapon.

Here's my hot tip from earlier again for hunting specific animals:

1. Go to where the animal is generally at
2. Save your game
3. Run into the area where the animal should be
4. If you don't see it, run out of the area and back in (animals spawn as you enter an area, they aren't "in" the world the whole time)
5. If you do see it and it's not a 3 star animal, load your save
6. Rinse and repeat until you get your perfect pelt

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Pirate Jet posted:

Any river.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This game is loaded with weird poo poo. Suffice it to say, make sure you explore every manmade structure you can find.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This game is loaded with weird poo poo. Suffice it to say, make sure you explore every manmade structure you can find.

Has anybody found what the big mystery in this game is going to be? I know there is one like the UFO/Bigfoot thing or whatever it was in GTA. I feel like the numbers/letters on the loading screen have to be something. They aren't dates and I can't think of what they would mean.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Deified Data posted:

As far as I can tell it's VERY difficult to pull off without getting witnesses and mostly comes down to luck. No matter how seemingly perfect the opportunity, someone outside will notice what's going on and run to the cops. The trick to avoiding getting a bounty is to have your mask on and bail out of the store before a cop gets you in their line of sight. Most stores have a back door so I park my horse out back and bail out that way with pretty good success. The entire disguise system seems to boil down to "wear mask, don't be seen by cops." Train robberies are a whole 'nother world of wacky mechanics, though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Huh accidentally found the best wild horse in the game. Holy balls this thing is fast.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

Just kill the shop keeper with a tomahawk.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I just paid 8.50 to some guy to drive me to rhodes and he just got in the carriage and made Arthur drive....uber is hosed up in 1899

e: to make sense

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 7, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Reign Of Pain posted:

I just paid 8.50 so pay some guy to drive me to rhodes and he just got in the carriage and made Arthur drive....uber is hosed up in 1899

Just set a waypoint and then go to cinematic mode and it'll autopilot for you, even on a horse.

The train is instant, but otherwise just use cinematic mode.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Just set a waypoint and then go to cinematic mode and it'll autopilot for you, even on a horse.

The train is instant, but otherwise just use cinematic mode.

It still did the quick travel but it showed arthur driving away

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I just wanted to add this to the thread

https://i.imgur.com/GWXDCwe.mp4

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Anyone have a legendary pelt bug out? I skinned the moose, the white pelt is still on my horse, but the trapper only recognizes the antlers in my inventory. I tried carrying it to him and reloading the game, but nothing worked. How long does it take the trapper to recognize a pelt you dropped or lost?

Yes, I got exactly the same thing but with the Elk pelt. You are hosed my friend, unfortunately I found no way of getting the pelt back and since the legendary animal is dead you can't get another one. Hopefully they will fix this in a patch but probably not.

Since dropped legendary pelts get added to the trapper inventory automatically I would suggest just skinning the animal and then dropping the pelt on the ground and let the game add it to the trapper inventory. This way you don't have to ride back to the trapper with it and there is no chance of this bug happening (the bug seems to transform the pelt on the back of your horse from "Legendary *animal* Pelt" to just "Pelt").

Regarding premium cigarettes, you don't have to smoke all of them to pick up new ones, you can just go into your satchel (right d-pad) and discard all of them at once.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Has anybody found what the big mystery in this game is going to be? I know there is one like the UFO/Bigfoot thing or whatever it was in GTA. I feel like the numbers/letters on the loading screen have to be something. They aren't dates and I can't think of what they would mean.

GTA had the Jetpack and UFO sure but keep in mind it didn't go anywhere (except for some multiplayer content much later.)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There seems to be a decent amount of mystery with payoff this time, especially if the blackwater hieroglyphic cipher is found to deliver in a decent way. I'd assume there's not anything deeper to the UFOs this time either besides them being around but who knows at this point

edit: If you're curious check out this subreddit, there's a bunch of smaller random things solved, a gently caress ton of random one-off easter eggs, but also plenty of weird leads that seem to have more to them which people are investigating

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 7, 2018

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

GTA had the Jetpack and UFO sure but keep in mind it didn't go anywhere (except for some multiplayer content much later.)

I just saw a youtube video of easter eggs and there is an actual UFO you can see in the game by doing something specific I won't spoil.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

TjyvTompa posted:

Regarding premium cigarettes, you don't have to smoke all of them to pick up new ones, you can just go into your satchel (right d-pad) and discard all of them at once.

or you can just smoke 1 and it will pick up a new pack so you can get the card

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

D-Pad posted:

I just saw a youtube video of easter eggs and there is an actual UFO you can see in the game by doing something specific I won't spoil.

Everyone knows about the UFO, it was one of the first things discovered. You can see it at night over that weird cabin and also at mount shann.

I discovered something yesterday that I haven't seen anyone mention yet. I was riding towards Rhodes on the railway when suddenly a ghost train appeared right in front of me, it went towards me and continued on but seemed to disappear around a bend. I recorded a clip of it but forgot to upload it last night.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Ainsley McTree posted:

Gavin is the new odrin

Or the new Mankrik's Wife.

Man I love this game but I feel so clunky handling it. The times I've accidentally shot or stabbed a person I was brawling with is insane.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how waypoints work. It should make some kind of GPS navigation on your mini-map possible right? I've never seen any kind of trail to follow. My workaround is to just put one of those red markers and go into that general direction. I've never gold-starred a mission though because I never "bring X back to Y in time", probably because of it.

And hunting, I hear a lot about 3-star animals. I just did the mission where you had to get a perfect rabbit and squirrel pelt, but I can't figure out which animal is 3-star? I though you just had to get one shot with the right weapon in the right part (head or heart?). Those small animals are annoying enough, because they spook only by the time I get to them and I can't snipe them from 20 or 30 meters. I never see them sitting or walking. How do you make getting perfect pelts on animals easier for yourself?

Last night I robbed the back room of the Valentine doctor. I tried reloading a couple of times because I kept getting the 'law is investigating' and 'we know you're in there' and eventually a lawman kept coming in and I got into way more trouble. I couldn't properly loot the room this way, still got the Schofield though. How are you supposed to do that heist?

oh adding my pro-tip: when at a general store, sell all the 3/3 or 10/10 consumables you have, if you have 3/3 moonshine or gun oil or anal lubricant: whatever just sell one or two. You will gain a pretty penny instead of standing at some bandit camp unable to loot the ones that are there.

Sioux fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 7, 2018

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I got killed by the goddamned literal vampire in St. Denis because I thought you could fight him with your bare fists. Was that my only chance to kill him?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sioux posted:

Or the new Mankrik's Wife.

Man I love this game but I feel so clunky handling it. The times I've accidentally shot or stabbed a person I was brawling with is insane.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how waypoints work. It should make some kind of GPS navigation on your mini-map possible right? I've never seen any kind of trail to follow. My workaround is to just put one of those red markers and go into that general direction. I've never gold-starred a mission though because I never "bring X back to Y in time", probably because of it.

And hunting, I hear a lot about 3-star animals. I just did the mission where you had to get a perfect rabbit and squirrel pelt, but I can't figure out which animal is 3-star? I though you just had to get one shot with the right weapon in the right part (head or heart?). Those small animals are annoying enough, because they spook only by the time I get to them and I can't snipe them from 20 or 30 meters. I never see them sitting or walking. How do you make getting perfect pelts on animals easier for yourself?

It's a bit clunky but if you are sneaky enough, you can get away with pointing your weapon at the cluster of "loving ALL of them are flashing and all the trails blend now" of animals until you see the three stars. Or, just hope they are all by themselves so it's clear you're intended target is what you are going for. It's how I've been picking out 3 star deer so far at least from a crowd. But it's a bit hosed when they layer up. "I'll use my scope or binoculars to confirm!... Oh I'm not allowed to 'view' the 2nd and 3rd ones back."

My hurdle with tiny stuff is that shooting them with small game arrows still seems to gently caress up their pelts for me? Given how few I ever get around to making, watching my tiny ammo count means I'm drat sure my small game arrows are set. Like chasing snakes for revenge after they bite me, and watching 3 stars from my trail become 1 star once I reach them. Is Morgan stomping them when triangle makes me approach then dance around them until I picked them up from a specific angle?

Maybe the real trick is "Go get the loving pelt quality boosting trinket already"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 7, 2018

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Section Z posted:

My hurdle with tiny stuff is that shooting them with small game arrows still seems to gently caress up their pelts for me? Given how few I ever get around to making, watching my tiny ammo count means I'm drat sure my small game arrows are set. Like chasing snakes for revenge after they bite me, and watching 3 stars from my trail become 1 star once I reach them. Is Morgan stomping them when triangle makes me approach then dance around them until I picked them up from a specific angle?
I've found you still need to hit them in their critical spots to get the perfect pelt.

I've also seen a 3 star raccoon drown itself and become 1 star... dunno how that happened as I hadn't even fired a shot yet and it made a noise and died

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ugh the "rob four cash registers" challenge is loving miserable. You can't do it without getting law on you no matter what and there are so few loving registers in the game. Game is a good wilderness and exploration game but holy gently caress does anything to do with crime in this game about outlaws loving blow chunks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I must have been lucky with the wanted/crime system. I never get bounties for bumping into people which this thread seems pretty keen on. I also shot the gunsmith in Rhodes right in the face (I didn't know how to get to the basement at first so just killed him) and the cops came in to investigate. I was wearing the cloth mask, and managed to take cover in the back of the shop by the door. I was peeking out when the law came into the shop, searching around for me but they didn't see me because they didn't bother to check the back. I waited a couple of minutes for them to leave the shop and search elsewhere, snuck out and got on my horse and escaped without a bounty. This was at nighttime while it was raining too so it was a really cool unscripted moment.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Just was wondering if there's a patch coming out for this game?

Red Dead Redemption 2 players find cursed road that always sets horses on fire

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ugh the "rob four cash registers" challenge is loving miserable. You can't do it without getting law on you no matter what and there are so few loving registers in the game. Game is a good wilderness and exploration game but holy gently caress does anything to do with crime in this game about outlaws loving blow chunks.

Does coming in the back door, throwing a knife and then cleaning out the register before cheesing it count?

Nolgthorn posted:

Just was wondering if there's a patch coming out for this game?

Red Dead Redemption 2 players find cursed road that always sets horses on fire

Lol bank on no.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Pirate Jet posted:

Swimming cleans you up too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh I found the Aberdeen pig farm.

How did this work out for everyone? I found the bones and was like this is bad, then I sat down to dinner while looking hilariously uncomfortable. I confronted them and they were like "more fun for us" to which Arthur said screw it and sat down to drink, then wake up in a pit.This game really shines in a sudden burst of violence. I burst back in the door and shot her while she came at me with a knife then I riddled the fat man as he raced down the stairs and he loving stumbled down and out the door with the impact like a loving movie. It was awesome.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

PancakeTransmission posted:

I've found you still need to hit them in their critical spots to get the perfect pelt.

I've also seen a 3 star raccoon drown itself and become 1 star... dunno how that happened as I hadn't even fired a shot yet and it made a noise and died

Maaaan, a frog is like 90% face. So "Aim for the critical point on a squirrel with a small game arrow bigger than it's head" sounds incredibly silly.

Though yes I've seen the off phenomenon of animals dying by the water seeming to have vastly accelerated decay or some bizarre poo poo. I shot a 3 star fox in the face with a varmine rifle as they were by some water, and by the time I waded over to them the game declared they were rotten. So that's pretty cut and dry that I didn't simply botch my shot and ruin the star rating.

I took out my frustrations by shooting some fish with a handgun for dinner. It was more personal than dynamite.

Aphex- posted:

I must have been lucky with the wanted/crime system. I never get bounties for bumping into people which this thread seems pretty keen on. I also shot the gunsmith in Rhodes right in the face (I didn't know how to get to the basement at first so just killed him) and the cops came in to investigate. I was wearing the cloth mask, and managed to take cover in the back of the shop by the door. I was peeking out when the law came into the shop, searching around for me but they didn't see me because they didn't bother to check the back. I waited a couple of minutes for them to leave the shop and search elsewhere, snuck out and got on my horse and escaped without a bounty. This was at nighttime while it was raining too so it was a really cool unscripted moment.
Leaving your bounty thinking "No big deal, I'll just not commit crime! Easy!" seems to be for if you decide you will want to either be a wanted man living on the edge, or rely on turning yourself later. Just by virtue of how every individual incident resulting in the infinity cops gunning for you stacks up again, and again, and again.

Like a purely hypothetical example of having a 1,000+ bounty, because oh look at that you are once again on the run from the St Dennis police force. For the horrid crime of walking on the wrong lawn for a trespassing charge.

But that is a far more interesting lifestyle than being a boring sack of poo poo like me, with ill gotten gains being sent to the post office just to spite dutch (Get the fast travel I never use. Get leatherworking. Get horse station. And... ah here it is, get hosed). My reputation squeaky clean even as I fence another wagon, and NPCs acting like I'm their best friend at Valentine. (Hey sheriff, yes, it IS good to see me)

Standing by and watching the law die, then stealing wagons from criminals isn't a crime! The bounty system and karma systems seem to think it deserves a free pass at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 7, 2018

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

What are the chances we're gonna get some cross-platform play between PS4 and xbone when online comes out? I used to play the original RDR with a bunch of guys on the 360 but since then we've dispersed between the two consoles and It's gonna be deeply upsetting if we can't relive th'olden days. :ohdear:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My war horse turned into a Tennessee walker. No idea how. Same name. Different horse. Kinda pissed about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nymix posted:

What are the chances we're gonna get some cross-platform play between PS4 and xbone when online comes out? I used to play the original RDR with a bunch of guys on the 360 but since then we've dispersed between the two consoles and It's gonna be deeply upsetting if we can't relive th'olden days. :ohdear:

Absolutely 0.