Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

VJeff posted:

How do wrestlers deal with the language barrier when calling a match on the fly?
In Japan they just hit each other really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It seems to depend. A lot of times the vet calls, but there are variants. Like if the vet is a guy who knows he's in there with a younger but superior worker and the vet is really limited, he may let the younger guy call it (an example of this would be that Hulk Hogan not only let Jericho call their matches, but according to Chris, would ask what they were doing that night since Hogan knew Chris could make him look good, which is pretty plausible).

I know Ricky Steamboat has said that when he was in the NWA, the heel called it because the heel spends most of the match on control; he actually used that dynamic to explain why he felt Lex Luger was underrated, because he and Luger had a pretty well regarded match that Luger called because he was the heel.

Apparently, some guys are real assholes about insisting on calling, I've heard this about HHH more than once.

With Dean and Seth I'd think Dean would defer to Seth, since Seth seems extremely well regarded by his peers as a worker.

If anyone has any articles or interviews or podcasts or whatever about this kind of stuff, please share them, I find it absolutely fascinating

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Beeboo Crawshanks

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Beeboo Crawshanks

Still love that Jericho heard this and had enough faith in Shelton to pull off whatever he wanted that he just blank slate threw himself at him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Kimoa Kid posted:

If anyone has any articles or interviews or podcasts or whatever about this kind of stuff, please share them, I find it absolutely fascinating

Shoot interviews are good sources for stuff like this, its where the Steamboat thing comes from

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I seem to recall some situation at an indie show where Hacksaw and his opponent (both likely very drunk) got in a heated argument during the match over who was supposed to be calling it and one of them just stormed off.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

I seem to recall some situation at an indie show where Hacksaw and his opponent (both likely very drunk) got in a heated argument during the match over who was supposed to be calling it and one of them just stormed off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htKY4q6rjzw

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Aesop Poprock posted:

Still love that Jericho heard this and had enough faith in Shelton to pull off whatever he wanted that he just blank slate threw himself at him

I always laugh at that Beeboo Crawshanks name.

Did this take place at a house show or during a tv taping?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

freeranger posted:

I always laugh at that Beeboo Crawshanks name.

Did this take place at a house show or during a tv taping?

During Taboo Tuesday (or Cyber Sunday). Because the vote was legit, they didn’t have a chance to talk things over which is why he didn’t know his finisher.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What were the plans (if any) for Finn Balor as Universal Champion? I’m assuming he was just gonna trade with Rollins for a bit.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Minidust posted:

What were the plans (if any) for Finn Balor as Universal Champion? I’m assuming he was just gonna trade with Rollins for a bit.

He was going to feud with KO

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Minidust posted:

All we know is that a feud with KO and Jericho was in the cards. Dave also says there was plans for a program with Roman.

It's absolutely impossible to guess beyond that because you dunno how Goldberg is gonna factor into things. But presumably, at some point, one way or another that belt winds up on Brock.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no plans only entropy

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stone Cold has the best Hall of Fame video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5n1IoqWFw

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So I recently was watching one of those 'Finishers used in X Year' Youtube compilations, and they had Ric Flair on it with the Figure Four. And it popped a question into my head.

How often did Flair, at least during the first half of his career as King Heel, actually WIN a match with the Figure Four? I suspect it was more of a "put the babyface in peril" move rather than something that tended to finish matches: I'm guessing he tended to actually win the match either through trickery (roll ups and whatnot) or treachery (cheap shots, eye pokes, foreign object strikes, etc), because as far as I know, Flair never had any sort of 'impact' style finisher.

I know he beat Terry Funk in that I Quit match with it, but by then Flair was starting to transition to 'so respected that it was hard for him to work as a heel'. I was thinking more the period between his back injury and the cusp of the 90's.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure Ric would cheat to beat jobbers on the mothership.

Ric knew what the fans wanted to see.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda posted:

I wish Roman would just go away at this point.

Since that's not likely, he needs a heel turn. (also not likely)

This looks harsh in hindsight. :smithcloud:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Randaconda posted:

This looks harsh in hindsight. :smithcloud:

In fairness, your comment sounded more "I don't enjoy watching this character" and less "I hope this man gets a horrible disease so I never have to see him ever again", so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cornwind Evil posted:

So I recently was watching one of those 'Finishers used in X Year' Youtube compilations, and they had Ric Flair on it with the Figure Four. And it popped a question into my head.

How often did Flair, at least during the first half of his career as King Heel, actually WIN a match with the Figure Four? I suspect it was more of a "put the babyface in peril" move rather than something that tended to finish matches: I'm guessing he tended to actually win the match either through trickery (roll ups and whatnot) or treachery (cheap shots, eye pokes, foreign object strikes, etc), because as far as I know, Flair never had any sort of 'impact' style finisher.

I know he beat Terry Funk in that I Quit match with it, but by then Flair was starting to transition to 'so respected that it was hard for him to work as a heel'. I was thinking more the period between his back injury and the cusp of the 90's.

Flair would occasionally win in big matches with the Figure 4, usually with the "face passes out due to pain". It's how he regained the belt from Dusty in '86.

He beat jobbers with it all the time, though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also how he beat Savage for the WWF title.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DeathChicken posted:

Also how he beat Savage for the WWF title.
Young me was shocked when this happened, because as others have said, it felt so rare to see Flair win a big match with it (especially in WWF).

It was also one of several title changes I found out about via a Regis & Kathie Lee TV appearance that my parents told me about (this was a thing due to house shows and the weird early-'90s taping schedules).

fatherofmustard posted:

He was going to feud with KO

VJeff posted:

All we know is that a feud with KO and Jericho was in the cards. Dave also says there was plans for a program with Roman.

It's absolutely impossible to guess beyond that because you dunno how Goldberg is gonna factor into things. But presumably, at some point, one way or another that belt winds up on Brock.
Ah, makes sense. Yeah I doubt the following Wrestlemania would have looked any different regardless.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 6, 2018

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope this is the right thread for this. My young nephew is a fan and has asked for wrestling figures and a ring for Christmas and his birthday and as the resident smark of the family, I have been tasked with obtaining them. I have been out of that game for like 18 years, so I am looking around. There is the WWE Crash Cage ring that seems to be the state of the art, but there are also a ton of seemingly unofficial/third-party rings. Is the official WWE Trash Talkers ring considered the best one to get or is there like a better ring out there? Also, has anyone bought any of those third party accessory packs they have on Amazon and stuff? He wants tables and stuff. Is there a better thread to ask?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Isn't it pretty rare in general for big matches to be won with a submission finisher? It's like the most definitive clean win you can get.

I believe that when Flair started using the Figure-Four, it was still considered this super-dangerous catch wrestling move.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope this is the right thread for this. My young nephew is a fan and has asked for wrestling figures and a ring for Christmas and his birthday and as the resident smark of the family, I have been tasked with obtaining them. I have been out of that game for like 18 years, so I am looking around. There is the WWE Crash Cage ring that seems to be the state of the art, but there are also a ton of seemingly unofficial/third-party rings. Is the official WWE Trash Talkers ring considered the best one to get or is there like a better ring out there? Also, has anyone bought any of those third party accessory packs they have on Amazon and stuff? He wants tables and stuff. Is there a better thread to ask?
"Best" is kind of subjective. Looking at what Amazon has, I would consider this to be the best, but it's certainly lacking in more fun features like a shark cage that the more kid-oriented rings have. On the other hand it's huge and has Ryback on the box so it can't be too bad.

The accessory packs are probably fine. I'm pretty there's official WWE ones, but I doubt he'd care as long as they're cool and good and in roughly the right scale.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Ringside Collectibles sells rings that are proper scale and everything with swappable turnbuckle pads, aprons, mats etc. for like $50.

Edit: When they have sales that is, which is pretty often. Keep an eye on those.

There's also an official scale ring that came with Goldberg and has some LEDs to mimic the new setup. TRU was clearing them out a while back but I doubt you can find them cheap anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Flair was a babyface more than you'd think during his peak years and would win with it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Aphrodite posted:

Ringside Collectibles sells rings that are proper scale and everything with swappable turnbuckle pads, aprons, mats etc. for like $50.

Edit: When they have sales that is, which is pretty often. Keep an eye on those.

There's also an official scale ring that came with Goldberg and has some LEDs to mimic the new setup. TRU was clearing them out a while back but I doubt you can find them cheap anymore.

Endless Mike posted:

"Best" is kind of subjective. Looking at what Amazon has, I would consider this to be the best, but it's certainly lacking in more fun features like a shark cage that the more kid-oriented rings have. On the other hand it's huge and has Ryback on the box so it can't be too bad.

The accessory packs are probably fine. I'm pretty there's official WWE ones, but I doubt he'd care as long as they're cool and good and in roughly the right scale.

Thanks for the info!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Flair was a babyface more than you'd think during his peak years and would win with it.

Honestly, even during his heel runs, Flair was still drat near a tweener, especially in the south.

Southeasterners love Nature Boy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

one of the best wrasslin' gifs

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Randaconda posted:

one of the best wrasslin' gifs

If anyone can top it that’s a topic I’d be extremely interested in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Daniel Bryan won all of wrestling at 30 with the Yes Lock. I think that whole show is my favorite wrestling event, discounting 14 year old me as a supermark in the late 90s

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And some guy made Triple H tap clean at Wrestlemania XX

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Daniel Bryan won all of wrestling at 30 with the Yes Lock. I think that whole show is my favorite wrestling event, discounting 14 year old me as a supermark in the late 90s

Top to bottom, either GAB 89 or WM17 is my favorite.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And some guy made Triple H tap clean at Wrestlemania XX

What are you talking about? HHH didn't have a match at Wrestlemania XX, the show ended after Undertaker v Kane

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sandman McMahon posted:

The huge guy in the Sandman jersey shaking his head in disgust and dramatically turning his back on Triple H pinning Ric Flair is right up there, but we've also brought it up several times and been unable to find it again so the internet may have lost the gif.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Cage Kicker posted:

What are you talking about? HHH didn't have a match at Wrestlemania XX, the show ended after Undertaker v Kane
surely you're forgetting his epic match against hbk

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chris benoit killed his wife and child and then himself

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandman McMahon posted:

Angry Miz girl is great, but still not as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sandman McMahon posted: