Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chmods please posted:

what would a KoЯn shell be like

only good on replica nodes since you have to follow the leader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i would go with a VM or that docker image

for an SGI sure, but NetBSD has a suite of net boot services for all the weird old pre-TFTP hardware it supports, with easy config (for installing NetBSD at least)

so I can put NetBSD on a RPi, put the files for NetBSD-hp30p in the right place, enable the RMP server, and plug it directly in to the twisted pair MAU on the Apollo

then it’s just a matter of boot to the monitor and tell it to boot “HP-UX” over the network and it’ll come right up

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

chmods please posted:

what would a KoЯn shell be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHUEuIf3aCg

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

graph posted:

dropbox told all rhel6 users to get hosed

and apparently 7 as well, since they will require glibc 2.19

they are also dropping support for non-ext4 filesystems. good thing rhel doesn't default to xfs or anything like that...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

did they ever explain why or is it just assumed to be laziness and incompetency?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The_Franz posted:

and apparently 7 as well, since they will require glibc 2.19

they are also dropping support for non-ext4 filesystems. good thing rhel doesn't default to xfs or anything like that...

That seems an odd decision...wait, are they assuming atime on ext4? Because xfs uses relatime which is effectively the same as noatime. If so, that's pretty dang dumb of dropbox, first thing i do on a home filesystem is noatime.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not horrifying

the things you have to do to a unix host to make it an irix install server are ... terrible.

Yeah, its a good use case for docker, when you need something that's a bit more specific than a chroot jailed host. Athough I don't use nfs with any kind of security on a home lan, it is nfsv4 which is way over the head of Irix and older linux/unix hosts.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ewe2 posted:

That seems an odd decision...wait, are they assuming atime on ext4? Because xfs uses relatime which is effectively the same as noatime. If so, that's pretty dang dumb of dropbox, first thing i do on a home filesystem is noatime.

Yeah, its a good use case for docker, when you need something that's a bit more specific than a chroot jailed host. Athough I don't use nfs with any kind of security on a home lan, it is nfsv4 which is way over the head of Irix and older linux/unix hosts.

it is easy to turn on authentication on nfs v4

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

for an SGI sure, but NetBSD has a suite of net boot services for all the weird old pre-TFTP hardware it supports, with easy config (for installing NetBSD at least)

so I can put NetBSD on a RPi, put the files for NetBSD-hp30p in the right place, enable the RMP server, and plug it directly in to the twisted pair MAU on the Apollo

then it’s just a matter of boot to the monitor and tell it to boot “HP-UX” over the network and it’ll come right up

i confused two posts

netbsd is fine for booting hp300 and sun3 and poo poo

sun/hp install server requirements are not half as stupid as irix

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ewe2 posted:

You know it's because they're reading the underlying device directly instead of using the glibc APIs. Not supporting RHEL 6 is fine as even RHEL 7 is pretty old in compiler support, and that most developers are not even aware of the Red Hat Developer Toolset to update it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is easy to turn on authentication on nfs v4

I know, but kerberos on a home lan is overkill. Please just assume I'm talking about SOHO use unless I say otherwise. TBH it's overkill for a small office unless they're also serving shares over the internet. I like having these technologies around and learning about them, but I rarely have the need to directly deploy them myself.

MrMoo posted:

You know it's because they're reading the underlying device directly instead of using the glibc APIs.

Who cares about RH, I'm trying to understand why a network drive application needs the specifics of an ext4 filesystem. Google Drive doesn't need that, AFAIK.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

hifi posted:

i'll always laugh at korn shell

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
this video came up in my youtube reccomendations that's a funny and imo pretty fair summary of where linux is in 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVHcdgrqbHE

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

http://www.mcaulaywallace.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=1756310

quote:

Arthur Charles Korn

Arthur was born on June 13, 1935 in Anaheim, California and entered into rest on March 2, 2016 in Placentia, California. He was 80 years old.

Having earned an engineering degree at USC, Arthur’s career as a civil engineer spanned over 30 years at the Irvine and Yorba Linda Water Districts. Winning several city elections, he served as a member of the Yorba Linda Water District Board of Directors, including being named Vice President in 1989.

Arthur served his country through military service, working with the U. S. Coast and Geodetic Survey division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Arthur believed strongly in civic participation and served as a member of the Yorba Linda Rotary Club. He was also a volunteer firefighter for the Yorba Linda Fire Department for 28 years (1963-1991).

He was an avid backyard farmer and gardener and a stock market guru, offering his insightful advice on anything from growing onions to selecting a great stock to anyone who asked.

Arthur is survived by his wife, Nancy Korn; daughter, Sherrlynn Korn; daughter and son-in-law, Kerrlynn & Randal Fisher; son and daughter-in-law, Rodney & Elizabeth Korn; daughter and son-in-law, Angela & Ryan Young; brother, Gary Korn; sister, Kathleen McGraw, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Who cares about RH, I'm trying to understand why a network drive application needs the specifics of an ext4 filesystem. Google Drive doesn't need that, AFAIK.

feature support beyond open/read/write/close is real patchy for linux filesystems so it would make sense if they only supported ext4 and xfs, the two widely-used filesystems. ext4 only is really weird to the point that i wonder if they're trying to get rid of people using it to back up their digitalocean droplet or some poo poo

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Gun Metal Cray posted:

soo are system 76 stuff anything worth buying?

here’s a vid about what they’re doing to disable the intel IME and sell systems like that if that’s a thing you care enough about to care to drop $1-2k on

and I suppose it’s fine if you’re looking for wanting to show your colors in the nerd-cred hanky code
https://youtu.be/MujjuTWpQJk

Guy has been giving the same Linux Sucks talk for years - the latest one entitled
Linux Sucks. Forever.
https://youtu.be/TVHcdgrqbHE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the main problem with irix isn’t finding the discs, it’s installation

you need thirteen discs to do a reasonable install of 6.5.22m. and you will use most of the discs more than once.

it’s extraordinarily unpleasant without an install server to do it via NFS

I actually did this with an Indy about fifteen years ago. I remember the installer asking you to insert a number of those disks just to build a catalog of their contents before installation.
The 2x scsi drive I had on hand didn’t help matters.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 8, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i didn't even know dropbox had a linux client until y'all started talking about it

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not horrifying

the things you have to do to a unix host to make it an irix install server are ... terrible.

ksh93 as /bin/sh
enable rsh and rcp access
allow tftp to the entire network share
enable nfs v2 w/ no authentication

it's just gross
i had to look into that because my sister had an indigo 2 and used it as her main computer in the early 00's. i couldn't make heads or tails of it back then at all, let alone understand why that was indeed terrible.

she got the computer from our next door neighbor and luckily my parents kept in touch with him after he moved. he burnt her update disks and mailed them to her from england.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

i had to look into that because my sister had an indigo 2 and used it as her main computer in the early 00's. i couldn't make heads or tails of it back then at all, let alone understand why that was indeed terrible.

she got the computer from our next door neighbor and luckily my parents kept in touch with him after he moved. he burnt her update disks and mailed them to her from england.

irix was not intended to be customer installable

updates were relatively easy

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Mr.Radar posted:

this video came up in my youtube reccomendations that's a funny and imo pretty fair summary of where linux is in 2018:

The linux sucks this guy did in 2017 is what finally got me interested in Fedora, somehow.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

TimWinter posted:

The linux sucks this guy did in 2017 is what finally got me interested in Fedora, somehow.

please keep your fetishes out of yospos ty

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

irix was not intended to be customer installable

updates were relatively easy
reading into it a bit, it was certainly was on 6.5 to start. it was practically obsolete by then.

in either case, i must've been trying to do it without burning cd's or i just plain didn't know how to burn the images correctly. so the chances of me getting it to work over nfs were practically zero.

also when looking into it, i'm flummoxed because i distinctly remember her being able to use some sort of aim client on that thing, but i'm not finding any evidence that such software existed.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mr.Radar posted:

i tried to watch this video and it was bad and not funny and obsessed with old microsoft grudges and promoted a delusional belief system in which linux is good, actually, except for things like systemd :argh:

(i don't mean to imply he went full devuan, this was mild stuff, but he seems... devuan-adjacent)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I had the talk running in the background and I kept shaking my head... it was kind of crazy

but I’m an embedded linux guy so I guess I’m part of the problem

frankly, the whole point of people cheering on the ubiquity of Linux is that it now has a solid proven reputation of being the ideal choice for IoT (for complex processors), mainframes, consumer facing devices (like smartphones), and everything in between. And you get access to the same foundation that everyone else uses.

Yes, people try to close source their own improvements. But unless they want to janitor it for all time, it is in their best interest to give it back to the community anyway.

And what kind of company would want to encourage nerds ssh’ing into low end consumer facing equipment? Imagine Grandma talking to customer support. The first question will be to find out if someone used ssh... in which case, they’ll insist on a factory reset. Even if the real error is just a loose network cable.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

did they ever explain why or is it just assumed to be laziness and incompetency?

gonna guess their client team never heard of the inotify apis

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Laslow posted:

reading into it a bit, it was certainly was on 6.5 to start. it was practically obsolete by then.

in either case, i must've been trying to do it without burning cd's or i just plain didn't know how to burn the images correctly. so the chances of me getting it to work over nfs were practically zero.

also when looking into it, i'm flummoxed because i distinctly remember her being able to use some sort of aim client on that thing, but i'm not finding any evidence that such software existed.

gtk 1.x worked fine on irix. she probably had gaim.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

everything that guy says is wrong, just negating the entire video makes it accurate. his take in summary: linux is *good* in 2018 because it is great for playing games, easy to use on the desktop, has good hardware support; but linux is *bad* 2018 because: microsoft now works with and supports its use; neckbeards with arcane knowledge has been replaced by documented workflows and knowledgeable corporate support; people are getting paid for their work; it is big and bloated (kloc numbers being thrown around); systemd; somehow all package managers (?)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

everything that guy says is wrong, just negating the entire video makes it accurate. his take in summary: linux is *good* in 2018 because it is great for playing games, easy to use on the desktop, has good hardware support; but linux is *bad* 2018 because: microsoft now works with and supports its use; neckbeards with arcane knowledge has been replaced by documented workflows and knowledgeable corporate support; people are getting paid for their work; it is big and bloated (kloc numbers being thrown around); systemd; somehow all package managers (?)

eh, the main takeaway I got from the video is that linux (both the kernel and the platform) has gone corporate since the 90s, which is undeniably true (especially now with the acquisition of redhat by ibm), and going corporate has significantly degraded the openness of the platform and the ability of the community to steer the direction of it. i don't agree with all of his specific points, and i also agree with you that linux is at its technological best right now (since those corporate sponsors can pay people to work on it full time), but at the same time the culture definitely has changed since the 90s when i first tried linux.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i didn't even know dropbox had a linux client

same

pram
Jun 10, 2001

classic

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

dropbox on linux to sync your password dbs/dotfiles/notes written in markdown with vim/etc. is awesome though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use a git repo for that sort of thing

simble
May 11, 2004

hosted where? genuinely curious

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Used it for nearly 10 years until a couple of years ago when it started getting too stupid.

Mr.Radar posted:

eh, the main takeaway I got from the video is that linux (both the kernel and the platform) has gone corporate since the 90s, which is undeniably true (especially now with the acquisition of redhat by ibm), and going corporate has significantly degraded the openness of the platform and the ability of the community to steer the direction of it. i don't agree with all of his specific points, and i also agree with you that linux is at its technological best right now (since those corporate sponsors can pay people to work on it full time), but at the same time the culture definitely has changed since the 90s when i first tried linux.

Yeah, it's worth remembering that Lunduke was an exec at SUSE, there's some interesting corporate insight there. Everything else is designed to get attention for his soapbox and as some responses here indicate, he lives rent-free in many nerds heads. You have to make up your own mind if you want your linux to become some corps idea of a brave new world because that's the reality today. At least right now it can still be your linux if you want it to be, but increasingly only at home.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

simble posted:

hosted where? genuinely curious

github.com for public stuff, gitlab.com for private stuff

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Progressive JPEG posted:

i use a git repo for that sort of thing

how do you handle frequent updates, or do you not? the nice thing with dropbox is as soon as I save the opinions_on_build_systems.md file on my phone, its available on my work and home laptops

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Helicity posted:

how do you handle frequent updates, or do you not? the nice thing with dropbox is as soon as I save the opinions_on_build_systems.md file on my phone, its available on my work and home laptops

could view the files directly via the github/lab website?

i mostly use it for configs so they aren't changing all that often, and in that scenario its useful to have an easy view into change history

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i put my whole home dir in a git repo and it's on a linode and i access it over ssh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I ported NetBSD-current’s RMP server rbootd to macOS and got it serving NetBSD 8.0’s SYS_INST and SYS_UBOOT to my Apollo, but it turns out they can only install or boot from BSD disklabel partitions and NFS, and the NetBSD hp300 CD is an ISO-9660 filesystem and the miniroot is only a filesystem image rather than a full disk image

so a few minutes later I had NetBSD 8.0 for amd64 installed in VMware and running rbootd instead

my next step will be to set up NFS to serve the miniroot, which should let me boot enough to do the rest of the installation off of the ISO-9660 CD (which I suspect will be faster than NFS over 10Base-T)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

eschaton posted:

I ported NetBSD-current’s RMP server rbootd to macOS and got it serving NetBSD 8.0’s SYS_INST and SYS_UBOOT to my Apollo, but it turns out they can only install or boot from BSD disklabel partitions and NFS, and the NetBSD hp300 CD is an ISO-9660 filesystem and the miniroot is only a filesystem image rather than a full disk image

so a few minutes later I had NetBSD 8.0 for amd64 installed in VMware and running rbootd instead

my next step will be to set up NFS to serve the miniroot, which should let me boot enough to do the rest of the installation off of the ISO-9660 CD (which I suspect will be faster than NFS over 10Base-T)

october is over, chump

save your spooky horror tales until next halloween!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you think that was scary?