Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

trapped mouse posted:

Africa colonized the hell out of Portugal though.
I love seeing this. I still cant believe that the AI is better than I am at beating Spain and Portugal...I've never been able to get a Morocco game off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I almost missed the a so for a second I thought there was a big patch of jam all over the middle east.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

I almost missed the a so for a second I thought there was a big patch of jam all over the middle east.
Can you jam the whole middle east? Maybe if you use Raspberry jam?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Well then :stare:

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
I'm playing a Timurids -> Mughals game, and finally got around to fighting the Ottomans, who rivaled me fairly early on. Built up a good sized army and was proceeding to wreck the Ottos when their allies, the French, showed up. They didn't turn the tide, but did manage to win a battle or two and unsiege some provinces before I could counter-counterattack, whereupon the French armies started heading west--to regroup, I thought. However, they didn't come back. When I reached Istanbul, the Frenchies were nowhere to be seen. Far as I can tell, they just packed up and left.

The question is: why? They weren't at war with anyone else, and they still had 100k+ soldiers. They were low on manpower, but that's never stopped the AI before. They were also having some revolts back home due to the wars of religion disaster (I think that's what it's called, it's France-specific), but nothing that looked particularly dangerous from what little I could see under the fog of war. Anyone seen AI behavior like this, or have any idea what happened? I'm certainly not complaining, but eventually I'm going to have to fight them again, and I'd like to know what to expect.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I love league wars, always chaos. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

jwalrus posted:

I'm playing a Timurids -> Mughals game, and finally got around to fighting the Ottomans, who rivaled me fairly early on. Built up a good sized army and was proceeding to wreck the Ottos when their allies, the French, showed up. They didn't turn the tide, but did manage to win a battle or two and unsiege some provinces before I could counter-counterattack, whereupon the French armies started heading west--to regroup, I thought. However, they didn't come back. When I reached Istanbul, the Frenchies were nowhere to be seen. Far as I can tell, they just packed up and left.

The question is: why? They weren't at war with anyone else, and they still had 100k+ soldiers. They were low on manpower, but that's never stopped the AI before. They were also having some revolts back home due to the wars of religion disaster (I think that's what it's called, it's France-specific), but nothing that looked particularly dangerous from what little I could see under the fog of war. Anyone seen AI behavior like this, or have any idea what happened? I'm certainly not complaining, but eventually I'm going to have to fight them again, and I'd like to know what to expect.

The AI has a really weird way of prioritising what its troops do, as far as I can tell the logic basically breaks down like this:

1. Locate the most vulnerable enemy army in the entire world compared to my own army size.

2. Mash my armies into that army even if it means completely ignoring enemy forts and larger enemy armies and going thousands of miles away from my own territory which is now undefended because I sent all my armies into the rear end end of nowhere.

3. If there aren't any armies I can actually reach and defeat, then seige some random fort with an 80k stack. Under no circumstances fight the troops seiging you or your ally's provinces.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

jwalrus posted:

It was probably the rebels. The AI dropping everything to run off and fight some minor rebellion is not surprising at all.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Help, I need the empire malice to keep my vassal addiction under control.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dirk the Average posted:

Spain didn't seem to colonize Africa. That's at least a bit odd.

Also Denmark has inherited Norway but not Sweden.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

The AI has a really weird way of prioritising what its troops do, as far as I can tell the logic basically breaks down like this:

1. Locate the most vulnerable enemy army in the entire world compared to my own army size.

2. Mash my armies into that army even if it means completely ignoring enemy forts and larger enemy armies and going thousands of miles away from my own territory which is now undefended because I sent all my armies into the rear end end of nowhere.

3. If there aren't any armies I can actually reach and defeat, then seige some random fort with an 80k stack. Under no circumstances fight the troops seiging you or your ally's provinces.

Don't forget the all-important "sign a million access treaties and then play peekaboo on my enemy's border".

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PittTheElder posted:

this is like every 1 out of 3 games i feel

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm having a revolt from a tag that doesn't exist according to the wiki, Atjehan :psyduck:

I'm tempted to let them win, just to find out what they are, though they'll probably just be some generic east indies thang

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oddium posted:

At least. It's very common. Sweden frequently has the power to break free from the PU but Norway does not, and Sweden and Norway only rarely ally and try to declare independence together.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

At least. It's very common. Sweden frequently has the power to break free from the PU but Norway does not, and Sweden and Norway only rarely ally and try to declare independence together.
It's not just that; that "Historical Friends" modifier is absurd; Denmark can be left as a single province and Norway will still not go over into disloyalty. It's rather irritating too, because there's a buncha Norwegian events that never really happen because they happen way, way too late.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It's not just that; that "Historical Friends" modifier is absurd; Denmark can be left as a single province and Norway will still not go over into disloyalty. It's rather irritating too, because there's a buncha Norwegian events that never really happen because they happen way, way too late.

Historical!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Historical!
Btw, I gotta say that just like with CK2, my dream DLC for this game would be ahistorical, borderline fantasy stuff.

Why not add a real custom new world option? Add Atlantis in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean? Mu? Colonizable Antarctic? Alt-History Start dates? Better and more mission trees, maybe even dynamic ones tied to ideas?

maybe even bring back the ole 1399 lol

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Add Atlantis in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean? Mu?

Unfortunately, it seems like this mod is dead.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm trying to do the holy trinity achievement - what can be done to counteract the liberty desire while being a small country? Not counting Knights, Teutons and Livonians, the plan is to no-cb vassalize Byz and get their cores back from the OE, as well as transferring Naples with the age ability as that's just too tempting. That's 5 vassals, 3 of which must be marches, and the Pope has 5 provinces; can't wait to vassalize TO and LO cause they eventually get eaten and are a bitch and a half to recreate (especially LO). So it is likely I will have at least 3 vassals at a time, most of which are bigger than me.

Any tricks?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

use your mana to develop their provinces

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Prav posted:

use your mana to develop their provinces

Yeah, but won't that make it worse in the long run? Doesn't total development count (negatively) as well, or is it just military strength?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Tbh I think you're going about it wrong - especially since the Livonians are far away, I can't see how you would vassalize them early regardless.

I would guarantee/ally them early, expand as much as possible in Italy, France, etc. Create a situation where anyone BUT you is less likely to see them as easy money, until you're strong enough to keep them in check.

It doesn't look like there's a time limit to the achievement, so as long as you're lucky and don't screw around, you should probably be fine. You also might want to join (stay in?) the HRE to make northward expansion easier.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TO and LO are both inclined to get conquered early and since they aren’t primary nations of any culture (iirc) they can potentially lose all their cores and become unreleasable

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

skasion posted:

TO and LO are both inclined to get conquered early and since they aren’t primary nations of any culture (iirc) they can potentially lose all their cores and become unreleasable

Indeed. LO is even worse as they are prussian culture with no prussian culture provinces so to revive them in case they are conquered you have just 50 years and have to culture convert one of the provinces to Prussia. It's a pain in the rear end!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wouldn't no-CBing them when they've lost their first war work?

The Teutons lose half their provinces to an unavoidable event now, which is all kinds of stupid, but probably makes this easier to time?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Declare war on Genoa to take their Crimean provinces, this gets you a border with Lithuania, get allies, wreck Lithuania to get a path to the LO so you can guarantee them. Austria/Bohemia are good allies for this, with the Crimean provinces you might be close enough to get Muscowy on board too.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Inheritance is a single roll under the junior partner's size +/- a few modifiers, and it's one roll for all partners, so yeah it's simply way more possible to inherit Norway than Sweden (and you'll never see inheriting Sweden without inheriting Norway as well.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

oddium posted:

Weird, I almost always see one of two outcomes; either Sweden frees itself and promptly devours Norway (with Norway either free or a PU Junior, it seems to make little difference), or it doesn't and Denmark eventually inherits or integrates both.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 9, 2018

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

I'm having a revolt from a tag that doesn't exist according to the wiki, Atjehan :psyduck:

I'm tempted to let them win, just to find out what they are, though they'll probably just be some generic east indies thang

Is it in Northern Sumatra? If so, it is probably Aceh. The wiki lists them as a formable nation from revolts.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Yeah, but won't that make it worse in the long run? Doesn't total development count (negatively) as well, or is it just military strength?

it's a short-term solution to a short-term problem. use your vassals to grow yourself.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So I know this a corner case type thing but I don't think that native colonies that convert to Catholicism should be affected by the Treaty of Tordesillas or at least there should be the option to petition to the Pope to repeal it in a given region.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Getting the annual itch to play some EU4, is Dharma worth picking up? Steam reviews are all negative saying it broke all kinds of poo poo, is that true and is it just the expansion stuff broken or does it break stuff outside India if you have it?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Getting the annual itch to play some EU4, is Dharma worth picking up? Steam reviews are all negative saying it broke all kinds of poo poo, is that true and is it just the expansion stuff broken or does it break stuff outside India if you have it?

It's just bads being bad. Playing around in India is A++ and the reform system is deece. The revolt management is sweet too. The only issue I have with it is the selling of asian provinces to europeans, which is the most unfun mechanic ever. Having to sail over to Europe to finish wars for single provinces is okay if you need to do it once, but my current Bharat game I'm now on my 13th war to liberate an asian coastal province from the perfidious europeans. I ended up conquering land in Europe just so I could station poo poo over there between wars.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

It's great, and the thing people disliked most about it, not being able to convert territories, has been mostly alleviated with the religious ideas change.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Buying land in trade company regions needs to have much more stringent requirements. Like make it the finisher for expansion ideas or something. Near the end of the game you end up with literally every shithole OPM in Europe has their own trade company just because tech gives them colonial range around the entire world. Alternative solution: drastically reduce the colonial range you get from late game tech so that the Papal State can't reach Indonesia just from that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did they change the territory corruption stuff at all

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Cynic Jester posted:

It's just bads being bad. Playing around in India is A++ and the reform system is deece. The revolt management is sweet too. The only issue I have with it is the selling of asian provinces to europeans, which is the most unfun mechanic ever. Having to sail over to Europe to finish wars for single provinces is okay if you need to do it once, but my current Bharat game I'm now on my 13th war to liberate an asian coastal province from the perfidious europeans. I ended up conquering land in Europe just so I could station poo poo over there between wars.

The problem here is that the warscore and AI peace logic systems are rancid lovely balls rather than anything else.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I havent bought Dharma because of the "Euros buying land in Asia for no good reason" issue. I'm trying really hard to speak with my wallet but on the other hand I want the expansion anyway.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"Euros buying land in Asia for no good reason" tho is amazing when they buy land right next to Ming :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also Ming buying land all up and down Indonesia.