Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

poo poo, I might have to watch Lockout again. I loved it a few years back, but with all this chatter I feel like I might enjoy it a second time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It cracks me the gently caress up that one of JCVD's first credited roles was "Gay Karate Man."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

To go back to Hard Target: you don’t watch Hard Target for JCVD, you watch Hard Target for Lance Henrikson chainsawing his way through scenery and the delight of Wilford Brimley’s Cajun accent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think JCVD is unfairly maligned. He did a bunch of movies with a small budget that made big profits. Now people wants to act like he's a corny relic that was never really popular.

Basebf555 posted:

I have not but definitely I've heard good things about them. I rewatched Universal Soldier recently and thought it was ok.
Nothing against Roland Emmerich, but the original is pretty cheesy and all over the place. Doesn't have much bearing on 3 and 4 which were made many years later and by a different director with a very different style.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I saw Dean Devlin's last movie and I have plenty against that motherfucker.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Punisher Warzone digital code: CWJFHW6LC3FPTU59

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Punisher War Zone isn't a good movie. But it is an awesome movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Punisher War Zone isn't a good movie. But it is an awesome movie.

The UHD is really something too, it's a very colorful movie so it's a nice showcase for HDR/Dolby Vision. It's kinda like a proto-John Wick.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Sudden Death is a legit good JCVD action movie. It's Die-Hard-in-a-hockey-arena and they get a lot of mileage out of the setting, going from the stands to the boiler room to the kitchen to the roof to the luxury box to the locker room and even onto the ice during the game and Powers Booth is the bad guy.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I rewatched Police Story again and it's still my favourite Chan movie. Such a shame no one is doing anything similar now.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Fart City posted:

To go back to Hard Target: you don’t watch Hard Target for JCVD, you watch Hard Target for Lance Henrikson chainsawing his way through scenery and the delight of Wilford Brimley’s Cajun accent.

And Arnold Vosloo grinning it up. Those two are so great together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's that movie everyone was praising, where in the trailer a guy disarms another dude's pistol and then stabs him in the neck with the slide? Or like with a pen?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chas McGill posted:

I rewatched Police Story again and it's still my favourite Chan movie. Such a shame no one is doing anything similar now.

You can make a big fight as good as the mall ending in Police Story. I don't know if you can make one that's better.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Police Story was flat-out, openly designed as a Jackie-based stunt showcase. Much like John Wick was designed as a Keanu-based stunt showcase.

Similarly Ong-bak and a lot of other thread faves.

I wish filmmakers could be more honest about this.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

What's that movie everyone was praising, where in the trailer a guy disarms another dude's pistol and then stabs him in the neck with the slide? Or like with a pen?

Was that Upgrade? It came out earlier this year -- really low-budget, but a lot of fun, and it ends up being a lot more than you think it's going to be from the trailer. It would be a really interesting double-feature with Venom, too.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Upgrade has some flaws, but it's a fun ride. Some gnarly, gnarly gore too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

That sounds like something from Shoot 'Em Up but I can't remember everything from that movie.

I remember Clive Owen getting the line, "gently caress you, you loving fuckers!" but who wouldn't?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jet Li took apart Riggs' gun in Lethal Weapon 4 but I don't remember if he did anything cool with the slide.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

McSpanky posted:

Jet Li took apart Riggs' gun in Lethal Weapon 4 but I don't remember if he did anything cool with the slide.

Speaking of Jet Li, this loving rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1CqVrGXdo

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Fart City posted:

Henriksen is legendary, at some point he is set on fire and it just makes him really, really angry.

Anyone seen Hard Target 2 ? It's got an interesting cast but Roel Reine is a terrible director.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact about Lance Henriksen: he received very little formal education and didn't learn to read until he was nearly 30; when he was appearing theatre, he would get a friend to make a recording to the script and then he would memorise the entire thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Was that Upgrade? It came out earlier this year -- really low-budget, but a lot of fun, and it ends up being a lot more than you think it's going to be from the trailer. It would be a really interesting double-feature with Venom, too.
No, it was definitely an Asian movie. It's like, a guy approaches another guy in the middle of the street in broad daylight with a gun, and he disables the gun and stabs him in the neck. Someone posted the trailer here and it was discussed in the same vein as films like The Raid 2 and SPL 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

No, it was definitely an Asian movie. It's like, a guy approaches another guy in the middle of the street in broad daylight with a gun, and he disables the gun and stabs him in the neck. Someone posted the trailer here and it was discussed in the same vein as films like The Raid 2 and SPL 2.

Maybe something like that happens in The Night Comes for Us? So much violence in that movie it would be easy to forget a little bit like that.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe something like that happens in The Night Comes for Us? So much violence in that movie it would be easy to forget a little bit like that.

I saw that two days ago and don´t remember it. Then again, just like you said, there is so much happening small moments don't stand out.

Maybe Headshot, the movie before The Night Comes for Us? Same choreography team if I remember correctly.

The trailer has someone wielding a gun getting his arm grabbed and then stabbed in the neck with a chopstick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhoytk0Hfw&t=117s

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I figured it out. I was thinking of Re:Born where he, like...shoots a guy in the neck...with a pistol magazine...and a pen...but no pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxM6vsMNwXs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wheat Loaf posted:

That sounds like something from Shoot 'Em Up but I can't remember everything from that movie.

I remember Clive Owen getting the line, "gently caress you, you loving fuckers!" but who wouldn't?

Shoot 'em Up was incredibly dumb. I loved every loving minute of it. I love how the first 2 minutes of the movie are a good test for how you're going to take it and whether or not you should carry on. More movies should do that. See also; Rubber which explains that there's no point to the movie right to your loving face... :v:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CeeJee posted:

Henriksen is legendary, at some point he is set on fire and it just makes him really, really angry.

Anyone seen Hard Target 2 ? It's got an interesting cast but Roel Reine is a terrible director.

Hard Target 2 is fine, I guess. Not great, but it's not unwatchable garbage. Not the worst Scott Adkins dtv movie, and definitely not the worst John Woo sequel/ripoff/remake of recent years either. The main villain does a pretty fun Lance Henriksen imitation and there's a fantastic fight between two women that's better than anything Adkins gets to do in the movie.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Halloween Jack posted:

I figured it out. I was thinking of Re:Born where he, like...shoots a guy in the neck...with a pistol magazine...and a pen...but no pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxM6vsMNwXs

This was a fun movie, but the plot takes the hero and his small squad off into a forest about 3/4 of the way through and the scene goes on too long by about double, I think they shot a bunch of ‘cool’ stuff and then didn’t have the heart to cut any of it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This was a fun movie, but the plot takes the hero and his small squad off into a forest about 3/4 of the way through and the scene goes on too long by about double, I think they shot a bunch of ‘cool’ stuff and then didn’t have the heart to cut any of it.

I would agree with you if I didn't feel like the sequence was constantly trying to one up itself by the minute. He's dodging sniper shots, he gets into a fight with a suicide bomber teenager (fun fact; that's Tak Sakaguchi's daughter!), he pulls out two kamas, he's using sticks, then a collapsible SHOVEL? And THEN he pulls out his super karambit looking death blade?? I enjoyed myself.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Shoot 'em Up was incredibly dumb. I loved every loving minute of it. I love how the first 2 minutes of the movie are a good test for how you're going to take it and whether or not you should carry on. More movies should do that. See also; Rubber which explains that there's no point to the movie right to your loving face... :v:

loving Rubber man. I loving watched the whole movie, and it's probably the only movie that I actively wished I hadn't watched. Was it made to piss people off?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

loving Rubber man. I loving watched the whole movie, and it's probably the only movie that I actively wished I hadn't watched. Was it made to piss people off?

The cop narrates to the audience; you, played in the movie by the people with binoculars directly that it has no point and they made it because they could. They even kill off the audience and try to end the movie but can’t because there’s still someone alive (you, still watching) so they have to carry on the charade until the end... it’s absurd, very French surrealist and I enjoy forcing people to watch it because the reaction is always annoyance. So as above, yes it was made to piss most people off because it plays the viewer for a fool. What other movie dares to do that? :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The cop narrates to the audience; you, played in the movie by the people with binoculars directly that it has no point and they made it because they could. They even kill off the audience and try to end the movie but can’t because there’s still someone alive (you, still watching) so they have to carry on the charade until the end... it’s absurd, very French surrealist and I enjoy forcing people to watch it because the reaction is always annoyance. So as above, yes it was made to piss most people off because it plays the viewer for a fool. What other movie dares to do that? :v:

Funny Games, which is poo poo

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So as above, yes it was made to piss most people off because it plays the viewer for a fool. What other movie dares to do that? :v:

Even Adam Sandler movies are only on streaming now

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You didn't lie, my man.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CeeJee posted:

Yeah Hard Target 2 is a perfectly serviceable Adkins dtv actioner you pretty much know what you're gonna get. Some fun in the jungle. Rhona Mitra is always fun to watch too. Reine's done some not bad stuff as these things go as well he did one of the good Marine sequels and a couple of fun Death Races

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

You didn't lie, my man.

Also remember, for a lot of people(like myself), that was their first real introduction to Jet Li. For me he was a name I vaguely knew of, and it was treated as a big deal that here he was going to play the villain in a big Lethal Weapon movie. So that really is one of the more dramatic, effective character/actor intros ever.

The final showdown is also really really good, especially considering you're talking about Mel Gibson and Danny Glover as two of the three participants. Gibson and Glover do a great job in that scene of acting completely too old for this poo poo but gently caress it I guess we gotta fight this guy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Remulak posted:

Police Story was flat-out, openly designed as a Jackie-based stunt showcase. Much like John Wick was designed as a Keanu-based stunt showcase.

Similarly Ong-bak and a lot of other thread faves.

I wish filmmakers could be more honest about this.

I'm not sure that this is true, since it's actually a really good cop movie outside of all the stunts. Very few cop films put as much effort into the evil guy's lawyer as Police Story does, for instance.

CeeJee posted:

It's barely a film. It's just a collection of action scenes built around Scott Adkins grimacing. It also has b-movie Kate Beckinsale (Rhona Mitra) on a motorcycle that shoots rockets and the tiny lady version of Tony Jaa (Jeeja Yanin, who's awesome) and Temura Morrison doing gun-fu. It's got a really good cast, come to think of it. It's dumb as poo poo, but a good time.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

b-movie Kate Beckinsale (Rhona Mitra). . .
tiny lady version of Tony Jaa (Jeeja Yanin, who's awesome)

wut.

Both of those chicks rule on their own, without any needed comparison qualifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Funny Games, which is poo poo

I just read the plot of that, man that's insulting. At least Rubber outright tells you what to expect rather than pulling a bullshit twist.