Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

B
D

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

CD

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Voting has CLOSED for our discussion with Administrator Bainly!

Update for that by tomorrowish, but while I wait for this cold to let my brain start working again, we can get some busy-work out of the way. Since it looks like we’re not immediately ending River’s story, we can deal with the other other message he received:

Union Pilot Licensure posted:

Greetings Pilot [BANH, MAK]!

The after-action reports for both Mirrorsmoke Military Company’s LIGHTSOUT and Liyongo Naval Auxiliary HOUSEKEEPING operations have been processed. We are happy to announce that you are now qualified to receive one of the following Mechanized Cavalry Level-2 licenses:

L1: IPS-Northstar: TORTUGA: TORTUGA Shell, Throughbolt Rounds, Daisy Cutter, Automatic Shotgun, Siege Ram

L2: Smith-Shimano Corporation: MOURNING CLOAK: MOURNING CLOAK Shell, Variable Knife, Fuel Injector, Smith-Shimano EX Slipstream Module, Miniaturized Weapon Mod, Agility Mods

L3: Harrison Armory: SHERMAN: SHERMAN Shell, Heavy Laser, Redundant Systems Upgrade, Reactor Stabilizer, Laser Rifle

Simply respond with the number of the license (L1, L2, or L3) that you wish to be granted to your account and UPL will take care of the rest! Happy Hunting Pilowup219mm3-

securechanneloverride - (.>%O009SK;`ZH0.J>.+.pSb93cC93q)(#5krJ,UQ'z7O9]"d@K^:t%7}2Z/4n# - channelsubverted

GREETINGS SUPPLICANT!

YOU HAVE FOUGHT AGAINST THAT WHICH HAS FORSAKEN THE FIRST LAW. WE SHALL GRANT YOU OUR FAVOR BY OFFERING YOU A PIECE OF OUR HOLY FLESHCODE TO PARTAKE OF! BEHOLD:

L4: HORUS: GORGON: GORGON Shell, //SCORPION v70.1, MONITOR Module, Sentinel Drone Nexus, Point Defense Weapon

IF YOU WISH TO ACCEPT THIS HONOR BESTOWED UPON YOU, RESPOND TO THE HEATHEN’S MESSAGE WITH ‘L4’. MY ALCOLYTES WILL HANDLE THE REST.

ALL PRAISE MY EYE

-overrideend-

So I could barf up a bunch of stats for the various shells, but I figure those that really care will have the numbers anyways. I think a more fitting way to help folks choose is via the art:

[ABSOLUTE UNIT] (Size 2)

[NARUTO] (Size 1)

[LAZERFACE] (Size 1)

[THAT CREEPY FRIEND] (Size 2)

Supplemental Vote: Our New Mech
L1: IPS-N TORTUGA
L2: SSC MOURNING CLOAK
L3: HA SHERMAN
L4: HORUS GORGON

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 8, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
L4

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

L4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
L2

As much as the Gorgon amuses me I think a) it'll be hard to explain to employers and b) it's weapon can only be used to shoot things that shoot an ally which seems like a harsh limitation for our solo shell actions

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Azhais posted:

As much as the Gorgon amuses me I think a) it'll be hard to explain to employers and b) it's weapon can only be used to shoot things that shoot an ally which seems like a harsh limitation for our solo shell actions

The Point Defense Weapon is the only thing that has a mech-only tag. The other defensive items just say 'you or ally' which would cover infantry as well. We can also still mount GMS equipment on any shell, and we also might have mech allies soon.

Not to gainsay your choice, just making sure we're on the same oage

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

L4

I like the game's flavour text, too, so here's that:

Tortuga posted:

The TORTUGA is IPS-N’s short-to-medium range core-line mech. Conceived, tested, and perfected in the void of deep trade space, the TORTUGA is made to breach and clear the spinal columns of capital ships, carriers, and hostile stations. The TORTUGA is built to occupy space, filling hallways with its angular bulk. It defends just as effectively as it attacks, often used in a battering-ram role by boarding parties and ship/stationboard marines. Conversely, the Tortuga is often employed in a defensive posture by marines seeking to repel boarding parties, often using its ablative brachial structures to shield troopers from incoming fire.

Mourning Cloak posted:

The SSC MOURNING CLOAK core is intended to provide pilots with a closer-than-CQB tactical option for situations where firearms and ordnance weapons are impractical or unavailable. The MOURNING CLOAK line specializes in precision melee combat and is commonly outfitted with a complement of variable weaponry; shielded microfilament wires designed to attack vulnerable joints and external modules.
The EX SLIPSTREAM program is a Smith-Shimano innovation open only to highly licensed pilots. An interesting development in personal travel, the EX SLIPSTREAM module itself is a miniaturized nearlightspeed star drive capable of transporting the user through blinkspace with acceptable accuracy. The program and its technology is temperamental; a mech core is the smallest unit capable of surviving the stress of exposed blink travel, though the experience is still traumatic to the user and those in close proximity to egress.

Sherman posted:

The SHERMAN is Harrison Armory‘s line-model chassis: any station, nation, world, stellar, or interstellar state that holds a fleet-tier contract with Harrison Armory fields a backbone force of localized SHERMAN cores. The SHERMAN platform is tuned to provide a rugged, versatile power plant for HA‘s fleet-line energy weaponry and a heat-dispersal system to ensure that the tremendous power requirements do not overwhelm the chassis‘ tolerance. Next to GMS‘s EVEREST, the SHERMAN is the second most-common mech chassis in the core systems, so much so that GMS has recently made a push to include more ablative and wave-scatter defenses into its stock +1 models to deal with hostile actors fielding the SHERMAN.

Gorgon posted:

The GORGON is unique among HORUS mech core parameters in that the classification describes a defensive rigging of weapons and systems meant to ensure personal and allied survival. The typical GORGON mounts multiple weapon systems meant to intercept and neutralize incoming fire and is widely feared for its ability to extrude a horrifying ‘basilisk’, a projected pattern of impossible visual data so toxic to logical thought that it causes massive failure in NHPs and can cause mild brain damage in humans.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Now I'm doubly sold on Seizure Robot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PoultryGeist posted:

The Point Defense Weapon is the only thing that has a mech-only tag. The other defensive items just say 'you or ally' which would cover infantry as well. We can also still mount GMS equipment on any shell, and we also might have mech allies soon.

Not to gainsay your choice, just making sure we're on the same oage

The basilisk is usable to stun when you or an ally are attacked (once). The vorpal gun is explicitly only usable to shoot things that have damaged an ally.

I still think teleporting, phasing through objects, and a defensive teleport that triggers when you get hit sounds cooler :colbert:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Azhais posted:

I still think teleporting, phasing through objects, and a defensive teleport that triggers when you get hit sounds cooler :colbert:

I mean, I like all of these shells for different reasons, which is why I went with them. A cackling Space-Francophone in a duelist robot sounds awesome, yes

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah it was a tough choice for me, too. The Tortuga's incendiary and hyper-penetrator shotguns were also tempting, but I'm going with the Gorgon for its narrative potential as well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

:ninja:L2:ninja:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
L1

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

L1. Big gun big life.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

L4 because we need as much paracausal and paracausal-adjacent bullshit in our life as possible. I almost went for the SHERMAN just out of pure fondness for the original Sherman, but bullshit space magic is too cool to pass on.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's a real tossup, but I'll go with L2.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Seems to me when faced with a murderous NHP that gearing up with a shell that's specifically lethal to NHPs is a fine idea. Scorpion fucks over anyone hacking us and the PDW lets us neutralize drone and missile attacks. Plus the passive 10% chance to stun anything attacking us is nuts. The overwatch stuff is just gravy.

L4

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 8, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

L4

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:siren:SEIZUREBOT:siren:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
L1 Chonk all the way baby.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The main problem I have with L2 is the part where it says the instant transmission is traumatic to the user. Traumatic how? Is it physical, psychological or both?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

The art convinced me to vote L2

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

super sweet best pal posted:

The main problem I have with L2 is the part where it says the instant transmission is traumatic to the user. Traumatic how? Is it physical, psychological or both?

As there isn't any definition (aside from badness that can happen if you miss-judge a jump or botch a roll), I think that's mainly a narrative hook to hang campaign-specific stuff on. Blinkspace is a paracausal technology, so anything from nosebleeds and IBS to psychological realignment might be possible.

But mainly, I think its a bragging point/badass indicator: "I'm so awesome I pilot a Mourning Cloak and haven't vanished from reality yet!"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
L4

Lemme see dat magic space bullshit!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

L2 is basically Raiden from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: The Mech

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I like both L2 and L4 for obvious reasons, but L2 gives us the option to challenge a motherfucker to a melee only mech duel, then teleport behind them and perform a not-lightsaber colonoscopy. Which is all anyone ever wants in life, really.

Also.

Zikan posted:

L2 is basically Raiden from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: The Mech

Edit: Also I've wanted to gently caress poo poo up woth a variable sword ever since I read that Man Kzin Wars novel that was essentially Dune. I think Destiny' Forge? poo poo, I need to catch up om those.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 8, 2018

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Blasphemaster posted:

I like both L2 and L4 for obvious reasons, but L2 gives us the option to challenge a motherfucker to a melee only mech duel, then teleport behind them and perform a not-lightsaber colonoscopy. Which is all anyone ever wants in life, really.

Well, it's got my vote.

L2

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

[NARUTO] (Size 1)

Vote: L2

MaliciousOnion posted:

The typical GORGON mounts multiple weapon systems meant to intercept and neutralize incoming fire and is widely feared for its ability to extrude a horrifying ‘basilisk’, a projected pattern of impossible visual data so toxic to logical thought that it causes massive failure in NHPs and can cause mild brain damage in humans.

How do we even explain how we got access to a walking war-crime?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hey we ain't getting paid to answer questions. The contract says kill what they point us at, doesn't say anything about what hardware we are or aren't allowed to kill them with :colbert:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

CourValant posted:

How do we even explain how we got access to a walking war-crime?

That's actually a completely different mech shell:
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1031662711040614401

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Can't wait till we can get that one

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

They intentionally misspelled Abaddon in order to match up with how people pronounce it. This displeases me.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Blasphemaster posted:

They intentionally misspelled Abaddon in order to match up with how people pronounce it. This displeases me.

Or they're the head of a Sicilian 'social club' that has a penchant for Swedish pop music

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
L1

I have to vote for the chunky pirate-mech.

edit: Though, if I'm honest, I'll probably never vote for a mech with toes.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 8, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

The L2 mech is vulnerable to hacking, has half the armament slots of the other shells, and disappears from existence if you roll poorly while teleporting. Boo, I say.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Justice Grieves posted:

edit: Though, if I'm honest, I'll probably never vote for a mech with toes.

Agreed. And before anyone comes at me over my vote, the Gorgon has zero toes and 24 fingers, I will fight anyone who says otherwise

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

You missed the tiny set of hands in the center of the chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh that's so cute we can hold a standard infantry-sized rifle in our chest hands and our HMG with our mech hands. That's like double the gun. Hell we've got enough hands to hold TWO mech-guns and still walk around, that's three times as many guns as the others!