Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah I think it looks great on a 4K OLED, then I saw people talking about it online and saw that the menu actually suggested turning the HDR brightness in game to 300 but I did it and it looked worse. Might just be because I'm so used to how it looked before, but I've never thought it looked too dark or muddy or anything. Colors always look really true and shadow detail seems really high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah if it looks good to you then definitely leave it alone. I thought I was going crazy because BLOPS, Titanfall 2, Tomb Raider, all my 4k HDR games look awesome but RDR looks washed out our extremely dark.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Beastie posted:

I think it kind of depends on your TV. I turned off HDR10 on Xbox and it looked blown out. It's one of my biggest gripes about HDR that every game seemingly needs to be tweaked.

I got drunk on saturday and spent like an hour loving with settings on my tv and Xbox and ultimately walked away unhappy.

It's a mess because with SDR, it was generally agreed upon that content would be mastered for a brightness level of 100 nits because that's roughly what a CRT could display. But the brightness levels of HDR TVs vary wildly and there's no consensus on where the baseline should be.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

So I got home and booted up RDR2, set my tv to Auto and it looks pretty good, actually.

I could have sworn that’s what I had it on before. Maybe I was just really messed up the other night.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Glad PUBG is free for now because at least I didn't have to waste money to run around for 10 minutes not finding anybody and then 1-shotted out of nowhere.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Glad PUBG is free for now because at least I didn't have to waste money to run around for 10 minutes not finding anybody and then 1-shotted out of nowhere.

:agreed: Squads can be fun sometimes but the game feels like a huge waste of time for the most part and I only play it if my buddy on Steam nags me enough to.

Also the Internet cafe Chinese hackers that infest just about every server are insufferable but I assume that's not an issue on Xbox.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://twitter.com/trueachievement/status/1060516160947535873?s=21

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is it win10 store only?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Was anybody asking for that?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I was but not on windows store but whatever

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I got Sunset Overdrive for free over a year ago and still haven't played it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I tried it and it was awful, not just "this game looks like it was drawn by an Offspring fan" bad but the actual gameplay is also bad too. It's like someone had a Crackdown ripoff they needed a gimmick for so they stapled a copy of jet set radio to it.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Sunset Overdrive and Ryse are both games I played this year. I just got an Xbox and wanted to get some games I might have missed out on (lol), and they were both less than $10. I got all the way through Sunset Overdrive but not Ryse. So it has that going for it, but thinking back on it now I don’t understand why I put myself through that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I tried it and it was awful, not just "this game looks like it was drawn by an Offspring fan" bad but the actual gameplay is also bad too. It's like someone had a Crackdown ripoff they needed a gimmick for so they stapled a copy of jet set radio to it.

The gameplay was like grinding in circles and hip firing at hundreds of auto targeted zombies that mostly cant hurt you unless you fall.
I only got about an hour in and decided to move on

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I tried playing Sunset Overdrive for a bit last week and apparently there's no way to disable the game auto capturing clips without disabling DVR entirely, so that was a quick uninstall. I guess older Madden games also record every touchdown (including those scored by AI in single player) so it must just be a thing with older Xbox One titles. My girlfriend played some Zoo Tycoon and I had to delete ~10 clips off the HDD that were automatically recorded. I can't tell if it's as dumb or dumber than the PS4 taking screenshots when you get achievements, forcing you to go delete a bunch of screenshots of menus.

Thanks whoever posted the tip about disabling auto playing videos in the store. Is there even a fullscreen button or are you forced to scroll down and select videos underneath screenshots? Slow UI aside, I have yet to find a design decision worse than "let's automatically play videos but then cut off half of the screen, leaving you only with a pause button." Could be even more dumb than websites that autoplay videos and shrink it (and the close button) to 1/52 scale when you scroll anywhere on the page.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunset Overdrive is extremely undercooked and its core mechanic is frankly awful and the fact you dont start with the airdash is insane

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sunset Overdrive owns and it's one of the best games released this generation. Bring the noise, nerds.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I had fun with it. I bought it used from a Family Video for like $25. Wasn't the most in-depth game, but it was fairly fun. It sort of scratched that THPS itch.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Battlefield 4 launched with an automatic recording of ever level up. This resulted in some really, really boring videos constantly being saved to your drive

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
im tired of open world city games

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Someday I will clear out my Madden videos and realize I have room for like 2 Red Deads.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

Battlefield 4 launched with an automatic recording of ever level up. This resulted in some really, really boring videos constantly being saved to your drive

Sniper Elite 3 saved every single long range headshot you did iirc.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Open world anything instantly makes my eyes roll

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

RBX posted:

Open world Ubisoft instantly makes my eyes roll

Fixed that for you?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GUI posted:

Sniper Elite 3 saved every single long range headshot you did iirc.

At least these might be cool.

You get lots of xp in battlefield for objectives conpleteing even if youre staring at the ground or hundreds of meters away while your squad does the work.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

This was one of those features that launch titles had just because the new console could do it and they got told they had to include it to show off the consoles new features. Like the bf4 companion app mini map/commander and the forza5 head tracking via kinect.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Barudak posted:

GTA5 recorded every time you shot down a helicopter, did a stunt jump... etc

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

GUI posted:

Sunset Overdrive owns and it's one of the best games released this generation. Bring the noise, nerds.

I got it for free and really liked it too, enough to 100% it and its DLC's. But it is tough to play properly until you get good at the parkour and unlock more guns and abilities, and I can see people giving up because of this.

The only nitpick I have with the game is the online is dead most of the time but it is pretty drat old now so not surprising.

Bloodplay it again posted:

I tried playing Sunset Overdrive for a bit last week and apparently there's no way to disable the game auto capturing clips without disabling DVR entirely, so that was a quick uninstall.

Really? I don't remember the game every auto capturing during my time playing it. Or maybe I never noticed :shrug:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Crackdown is currently free on the Microsoft store. This is awesome since it's one of the 360 exclusives I was looking forward to trying out. I hear the second game is better though, which is still somehow not backwards compatabile yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Crackdown is currently free on the Microsoft store. This is awesome since it's one of the 360 exclusives I was looking forward to trying out. I hear the second game is better though, which is still somehow not backwards compatabile yet.

Whoever told you that is a cruel liar because literally no one ever has said the second game is better at anything.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

you hear wrong, crackdown 2 is loving awful

like real, real real fuckin bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The second game was basically made in 12 months and its bad even for that

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Crackdown 2 is a reskin of the first game with zombies and a brown filter and back when it came out there was a developer here trying to justify the 60 price tag because "development costs are rising and people should expect less for that."

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Oh man, I coulda sworn I always heard the second was better. Good to know the free one is the better one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The second is the first game but with all activities replaced with horde mode point defense

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

EA access allowing me to play their next bf game early (this Friday) is pretty neat. Probably saves me from buying it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Never thought I'd be even thinking about BF at this point but RDR was a 7.5 at best.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its so painful. Even for a r* game theres just so many stupid ways to fail some of these missions that im in awe

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Its so painful. Even for a r* game theres just so many stupid ways to fail some of these missions that im in awe

So I was doing a mission where you have to lead swimming horses to shore. If you are a cool dude who plays only with a compass and no minimap like me, you hear someone say "mount one of the three horses," and so I went to the nearest horse and mounted it. Thirty seconds later I get a Fission Mailed message saying "you let the horses drown."

Turns out that there's specific horses you need to lead and the game doesn't give you that info unless you're using the mini map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the controls in RDR2 are legit garbage and are the reason why I havent bothered to play it after completing the tutorial missions. it is painful to play.