Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Rhyno posted:

Ethel is the worst.

They took Midge from us and allowed Ethel to remain. Life is not fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a huge fan campaign to get Ethel into the Squirrel Girl role and I hope all of those people get audited by the IRS.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wasn't there already a fake D&D? Snakes and Serpents or something?

Also half a school getting into D&D is pretty lolworthy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shoehead posted:

Serpents is a gang/ethnic group that Jughead is a part of.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Skwirl posted:

Serpents is a gang/ethnic group that Jughead is a part of.

What, really!?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Calico Heart posted:

Also I know this is some stupid nerd complaint but like

It's "Dungeons and Dragons". The rip-offs include "Tunnels and Trolls" and "Mazes and Monsters".

It's location then creature not creature and another creature think about it for one more second before you write it you loving hacks

"Graveyards and Gargoyles"

It's so obvious, so easy, they really dropped the ball on that one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shoehead posted:

What, really!?

I'm reaching a bit with "ethnic group" but they have a rich cultural history and have been discriminated against by the rest of Riverdale, do you even watch the show?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Swords and Serpents!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

“What? You TOLD me to ‘get rid’ of the Jingle Jangle!”

lol when he was opening those boxes and freaking out I was thinking "Jesus, Riverdale's taking the straw ban super seriously" until I realized it was Jingle Jangle.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

this rendition of anything goes made me so angry i muted it wow

however this episode owns bones but drat I was not expecting to have such a visceral reaction I guess I expected them to go w begin the beguine or smth

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

MorgaineDax posted:

Swords and Serpents!

That's it! Well drat that didn't follow Locations and Monsters either

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I started watching this show last week, and I loving in love it. It's just... balls to the walls crazy, and I guess I'm into that.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
God drat it! Why was there a gap this week!?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey sports fans, if one likes Riverdale a lot and finds horror boring, would they enjoy Sabrina?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

Hey sports fans, if one likes Riverdale a lot and finds horror boring, would they enjoy Sabrina?

Maybe? It's more of a horror show than Riverdale, but it's not really a horror show.

I'm going to say Yes, you'll like it, just treat the first two episodes as an extended pilot.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

I found it a bit on-the-nose in regards to characterization, but it's not bad. Try the first ep and see if you're into it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

It's barely horror and hardly comparable to Riverdale; it's Buffy if Buffy's gimmick was hailing Satan instead of martial arts. Also someone mentioned this earlier but it's also a Chick tract but with a find-replace of God -> Satan.

Which is to say, it's good.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
God drat, that title card. I love that this show does comedy in a completely un-modern way: It commits to the bit. Never stops to go "this is so wacky!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

meh tbh

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jesus christ Archie looked exactly like young Luke Perry

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

God Bless this wonderful show.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Penelope Blossom redemption arc incoming

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Whalley posted:

Jesus christ Archie looked exactly like young Luke Perry

I think he tries too hard with the furrowed brow, and as much as his normal hair on the show bothers me (I know he's a natural redhead, but they have to also be dyeing it or abusing the gently caress out of lighting) him with dark was even weirder.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
New theories; the Gargoyle King is Claudius, who would have already been nurturing 8 years of jealousy that his own twin got a sisterwife and he didn't. The new game was started to kill Cheryl (and get Clifford's money in the process), and next week we'll learn how Jughead was duped into starting a game with the Serpents to get her.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shneak posted:

Penelope Blossom redemption arc incoming

I hope so, because that backstory was messed up.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone in this show is acting like this Griffins and Gargoyles game is super evil. They all were perfectly fine and happy playing the game and LARP-ing like typical teenage dorks, until they got high one time and someone tried to murder somebody. Like, the game had nothing to do with the drugs and the murder? They were just coincidentally playing it while all that murder poo poo went down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They're just embarrassed about the LARPing and are using the murders as an excuse to completely disavow it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Skwirl posted:

They're just embarrassed about the LARPing and are using the murders as an excuse to completely disavow it.

Can you fuckin blame them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's an idea that one of the reasons monks in the middle-ages would have so many weird rear end visions is that a naturally occuring mold in old books had psychoactive chemicals. And back before the printing press old books were valuable as gently caress and these were the were the only people who would handle them on the regular.

There's a drug in the ink of the Griffins and Gargoyles book (some version of whatever the made up drug they've used as a plot point a dozen times before, I can't remember the name).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It's dangerous, Betty. We looked like dorks. Promise me you'll never ever play

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I enjoyed the episode a lot, but it felt weird to me. Like the show was leaning hard into it, but the actors kinda weren't. I wanted to see some hammy impressions of Madchen Amick, Skeet Ulrich and Luke Perry basically lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

esperterra posted:

I enjoyed the episode a lot, but it felt weird to me. Like the show was leaning hard into it, but the actors kinda weren't. I wanted to see some hammy impressions of Madchen Amick, Skeet Ulrich and Luke Perry basically lmao

Yeah, they were all playing characters very different from what their parents became, which works okay as character development for the parental characters, but is a piss poor idea for a gimmick episode with all your young main cast members playing their parents.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This was so incredibly campy. I loved it.

It's interesting that FP and Alice where never in the gang at the same time and then basically switched roles. Was that the first time the legacy name of the Jones was spoken out loud?
There were so many little references in there. Forsythe II wore a silver crown and the teacher was called Krabappel.

Also, the guy who I assume to be Dilton's dad is curiously absent from the present day story line. You'd think he'd show up to the conspiracy meeting regarding the death of his own son... He didn't even appear in that "What happened to"-segment.
Or that might just be an unrelated person, who later started a cult in the woods, to murder more people.

Remember when the serpents made up their board game group as a cover for hanging out together? I love how the Sex Archie podcast speculated that they should actually play a Pen n Paper, since they might be really into it. So congrats, you guys. I know you're reading this.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, the guy who I assume to be Dilton's dad is curiously absent from the present day story line...Or that might just be an unrelated person, who later started a cult in the woods, to murder more people.

Yeah Dilton's Dad is the Gargoyle King, or maybe Reggie's. It would be kinda lame if it was someone we haven't seen yet but with the gaping plothole that is Hal's murder spree i guess anything goes.

So wait, Betty now knows her and Jughead once shared a long lost older brother?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bring in Byron Mann as Marty Mantle and make him a car dealer (and Gargoyle King) and we're golden

Also yeah I guess we're just going to roll past Betty finding out her boyfriend and her share a brother, because Riverdale is about sexy teens in a series of horror pastiches, not character. And many of the people who post about it online forget that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I can’t imagine what this episode cost in licensing for all the excellent music choices. I loved every second of it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sgt. Politeness posted:

So wait, Betty now knows her and Jughead once shared a long lost older brother?

Well yes. Before she just technically didn't know it was FPs son. And according to Chick that guy's dead.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Cute little reference to IT with FP’s cast, there.

Also, even after all these years, I was still able to pin down “Dream Warriors” after only, like, three notes.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

drat, took me till the chorus.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

e: nm

Strange Charm fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Cute little reference to IT with FP’s cast, there.

Also, even after all these years, I was still able to pin down “Dream Warriors” after only, like, three notes.

I didn't recognize it at first, so when they first started playing the song, I turned to my roommate and said "this song would fit perfectly in something like Nightmare on Elm St. Pt. 3", and then the chorus kicked in.