Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's only controversial because it kills a valuable member of their shrinking population, not because of the cannibalism. Zelda thought it appropriate to serve Satan a roasted warlock child in her dream, and Satan admonished her for lowering the population.

That's my take anyway.

I don't think the biblical allegory dream should be taken too literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay but why did they eat her raw? Cannibalism aside they're all just like gnawing on raw flesh and that can't taste good.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
It's called transubstantiation

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think the biblical allegory dream should be taken too literally.

Right, but it shows how Zelda thinks in regards to cannibalism, and she is not one to rock the boat when it comes to church tenets.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just watched the first 2 episodes yesterday and I'm working through the thread so I don't know if this has been said before but the show kinda reminds me of Santa Clarita Diet in how they weave dark and lighthearted moments together, although this one is obviously less comedic. It also makes me think of a more whimsical and charming True Blood.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Paracaidas posted:

:aaaaa:

How did I not notice this?

I had to look the actor up on imdb because it was bugging me so much where I recognised him from. Dude's got some range.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Right, but it shows how Zelda thinks in regards to cannibalism, and she is not one to rock the boat when it comes to church tenets.

Zelda's definitely the more old fashioned of the family, but given her reaction to the feast it's implied she preaches a lot more than she'll practice, and her dream came off as basically a caricature of witch society in dreamlike fashion.

It seems implied that the current high priest of the dark church is a heavy traditionalist, but Sabrina's father was a reformer and not necessarily unpopular. A small religious community, especially one with living memories of active persecution, is likely to go with whoever's in charge simply because there's no one else with the clout to make changes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Speaking of Blackwood, in the Feast of Feasts they mention that the reason Lady Blackwood wanted Prudence dead was because she wanted to ensure that her children will inherit the High Priest position. So what about Sabrina? Her father was the previous High Priest, couldn't she make a claim if she wanted? Or does her being a half mortal prevent that?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I didn't get "controversial" from the cannibalism in the slightest, are you guys kidding? It actually seemed a little ridiculous and took me out of the story when fifty elegantly-dressed witches stampeded out of their pews to mob around a dying woman, cutting off any bits they could reach and cramming it into their mouths. I thought they'd maybe cook her? Or at least have a classy sorta dinner together? Not just a literal zombie mob ripping a woman apart and mashing raw human flesh into their mouths.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Speaking of Blackwood, in the Feast of Feasts they mention that the reason Lady Blackwood wanted Prudence dead was because she wanted to ensure that her children will inherit the High Priest position. So what about Sabrina? Her father was the previous High Priest, couldn't she make a claim if she wanted? Or does her being a half mortal prevent that?

There's other inheritance poo poo probably, Blackwood clearly has more money than Sabrina's family, and also War of The Roses is a different level of politics than "Bastard child usurping my child."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
On that note, wtf do witches use for money? Just like, dollars? That's lame.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What are they supposed to use? Eyes of newt?

There aren't really that many of them, it makes sense that they'd just default to the currency of their country. Did you really want them to use Galleons and Knuts? That was more trouble than it was worth, trying to reconcile giant gold coins floating around everywhere.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

What are they supposed to use? Eyes of newt?

There aren't really that many of them, it makes sense that they'd just default to the currency of their country. Did you really want them to use Galleons and Knuts? That was more trouble than it was worth, trying to reconcile giant gold coins floating around everywhere.

How do traditional, non mortal interacting witches get mortal money? Who do they buy poo poo from? Etc

It was a joke question, I dont know why you're being so hostile about it.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Do witches poo?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

How do traditional, non mortal interacting witches get mortal money? Who do they buy poo poo from? Etc

They work at a funeral service.

Hardawn posted:

Do witches poo?

Yes but it doesn't sink.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It was a joke question, I dont know why you're being so hostile about it.

I assume most of the parents of the witches at Satanic Hogwarts have day jobs, pay for their students tuition, and the more insular witches are teachers or adjunct staff.

They're like the Satanic Amish. They do interact with the outside world, just keep it minimal. Most of them have a cellphone, they just never use it except to call the vet if an oxen is sick. And it's a flip phone.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

They work at a funeral service.

Yes but it doesn't sink.

A funeral service that serves mortals. My post was about witches that dont interact with mortals.

Skwirl posted:

And it's a flip phone.

MONSTERS

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think there ARE witches that don't interact with mortals. They're not a very big community, not even as big as the Harry Potter wizards, and I don't think they can just magic up all the things they need. There's probably no spell that can create indoor plumbing, for example, and I don't think any of the witches are moonlighting as a plumber.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To be clear, I was talking about the Amish, and they have flip phones to stop pocket dialing and they don't want the internet. All the young witches and warlocks on Sabrina have smartphones.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Phenotype posted:

I don't think there ARE witches that don't interact with mortals. They're not a very big community, not even as big as the Harry Potter wizards, and I don't think they can just magic up all the things they need. There's probably no spell that can create indoor plumbing, for example, and I don't think any of the witches are moonlighting as a plumber.

You're probably right. I also don't think it really matters, because pulp tv show.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

You're probably right. I also don't think it really matters, because pulp tv show.

How loving dare you

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Skwirl posted:

To be clear, I was talking about the Amish, and they have flip phones to stop pocket dialing and they don't want the internet. All the young witches and warlocks on Sabrina have smartphones.

We've never seen any of the witches with smartphones though? When Sabrina was calling Harvey, she used a landline while he had a smartphone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

We've never seen any of the witches with smartphones though? When Sabrina was calling Harvey, she used a landline while he had a smartphone.

I must have been thinking of that. Witches don't even have flip phones apparently. The also don't raise livestock, so it fits.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

In general they don't seem to keep up with the latest technology, if the black and white tv is anything to go by.

Woden
May 6, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

In general they don't seem to keep up with the latest technology, if the black and white tv is anything to go by.

Emergency services at the mine were all using 60's cars. There's a lot in the show that's weirdly anachronistic, it's not just witch stuff.

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, they keep going on about not interfering with mortals but they're always loving up their poo poo. Hopefully that's something they deal with if they do another season, like the traditional ways are dumb, unworkable and they're all being grifted.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Woden posted:

Emergency services at the mine were all using 60's cars. There's a lot in the show that's weirdly anachronistic, it's not just witch stuff.

Yeah but this is intentional to make it feel a certain way. Harvey straight up has an iphone, and they reference modern pop culture, but everything looks like the 60s. They did the same thing in It Follows to great effect.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Phenotype posted:

Having a good laugh right now imaging Blackwood trying to do normal people poo poo like buy groceries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LongDarkNight posted:

Having a good laugh right now imaging Blackwood trying to do normal people poo poo like buy groceries.

He's rich, he probably has a personal shopper.

They definitely aren't Harry Potter witches, indications from the with hunts actually catching real ones seems to be that they can't do much without prep time.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I thought I was just real dumb for not being able to figure out what time this was set in. Ambrose using a relatively modern laptop is the main thing that threw me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Y'know, I was gonna make jokes about the Dark Church being basically bizarro Catholics, but on further thought, they seem to be a lot more heavily based on American Protestants, not just because their coven is self-sufficient and doesn't seem to be directly connected to any higher heirarchy than the High Priest and of course their Dark Lord. Especially with their strongly insular nature and narrative of persecution and martyrdom.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

plus Satan is real, just like protestant god!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Not that it will matter, but isn’t Sabrina baptized Catholic by her mother?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A lot of the more objectionable stuff the Church of Night does may or may not be just traditions of their particular coven. I'd be interested to see a different, perhaps less traditionalist coven in season 2.

Of course the way the show talks about the church of night kinda conflates its tenets and power structure with that of witch society as a whole, so maybe that stuff will remain un-fleshed out. Sometimes they talk about Blackwood like he's THE hell pope, other times they just treat him like the local pastor, it's a bit unclear.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LOL

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/08/the-satanic-temple-sues-netflix-warner-bros-for-150-million.html

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Sometimes they talk about Blackwood like he's THE hell pope, other times they just treat him like the local pastor, it's a bit unclear.

Yeah this confused me. Other covens are acknowledged as existing, and they're not all subservient to the Church Of Night. But everyone we meet is either part of the coven, or lying, so I guess it could just be them being parochial.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I just had something pop up on Facebook about Lord of the Rings and realized Aunt Zelda is the woman that kills the Witch King. The classic “I am no man”.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

latinotwink1997 posted:

I just had something pop up on Facebook about Lord of the Rings and realized Aunt Zelda is the woman that kills the Witch King. The classic “I am no man”.

I knew she looked familiar but I couldn't place her.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
:aaaaa:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

Holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah Miranda Otto is amazing, what of it?