Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vasudus posted:

I was being hyperbolic people dang, about the same level of hyperbole as people that scream from the rooftops that Obama was a pussy.

nice goalpost shifting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fdr was the bloodiest prez by far of the 20th century and i lust for more fdr's

lincoln was by far the bloodiest of the 19th and i would take another lincoln anytime

washington was the same of the 18th and hell i would take a washington, slaves and all

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 9, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
US foreign policy has moved away from directly killing people to letting the after effects do it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
OBAMA USED DIJON MUSTARD ON HIS HAMBURGER!

OBAMA PUT HIS FEET UP ON HIS DESK!

OBAMA USED A UMBRELLA WHEN IT RAINED!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have lost track, but if the AZ senate race actually comes out democrat, what will be the senate numbers?

47-53 if AZ or FL.

48-52 if both. Which would basically keep the numbers the same as they are now, except the map is a little different.

The MS special election is going to runoff but it most assuredly will not be going to a democrat. There were three candidates for that - 2 republican and 1 democrat, the lead republican got ~40%, the second republican got ~20%, and the democrat got the remaining ~40%. It'll probably be 60-40 or 55-45 in favor of that lead republican when they hold the runoff.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My hot take: America is a garbage imperialist country with delusions of grandeur and the sooner it is in the dustbin of history the better.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My hot take: America is a garbage imperialist country with delusions of grandeur and the sooner it is in the dustbin of history the better.

:same:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/gijoeyjoejoe/status/1060593147279896576?s=21

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq98n2j75XA

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

US foreign policy has moved away from directly killing people to letting the after effects do it.

GIP superstar General William Tecumseh Sherman knew this was the way of the future.

quote:

In a letter to Sheridan, dated May 10, 1868, Sherman wrote that as long as buffalo roamed those parts of Nebraska, “Indians will go there. I think it would be wise to invite all the sportsmen of England and America there this fall for a Grand Buffalo hunt, and make one grand sweep of them all.”

By now the buffalo that once covered all the Great Plains were hewn into two giant herds––one in the north, and one in the south. Still, the brown herds could overwhelm, and when Sheridan asked a trader how many buffalo he thought lived in the southern herd, the man said 10 billion. Obviously, that was absurd. But if the Army planned to slaughter all buffalo and starve the tribes into submission, it’d take more time and men than Sheridan had. Still, there’s evidence he thought it the best option: In October 1868, Sheridan wrote to Sherman that their best hope to control the Native Americans, was to “make them poor by the destruction of their stock, and then settle them on the lands allotted to them.”

Soon Sherman would have help. But along with the Fort Laramie Treaty, the U.S. had also signed the Medicine Lodge Treaty in 1867 with tribes in the south. So for the moment, The Indians Wars had paused.

In the lull, enlisted men like Cody found other ways to stay busy, and to make money. Cody had joined the Cavalry at 17, and he earned the name “Buffalo Bill” because in one 18-month stretch he claimed to have killed 4,280 buffalo. In 1870, a bull hide sold for $3.50. One frontiersman, Frank Mayer, figured if he spent 25 cents on each round of ammo, then “every time I fired one I got my investment back twelve times over.”

During a hard drought, with no buffalo left, settlers and Native Americans hunted their bones, selling them for fertilizer. In Isenberg’s book, he tells about a reporter who asks a railroad worker, “‘Do the Indians make a living gathering these bones?’ Yes, replied a railroad inspector, “but it is a mercy that they can’t eat bones. We were never able to control the savages until their supply of meat was cut off.’”

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
someone in cspam pointed out that we're witnessing the collapse of an empire and we just don't see it because we're inside the bubble

i have to agree with them

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Vasudus posted:

someone in cspam pointed out that we're witnessing the collapse of an empire and we just don't see it because we're inside the bubble

i have to agree with them

This is going to be the chinese century not because they're stepping up, but because we're falling on our face.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Rome smoldered for a few decades.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have lost track, but if the AZ senate race actually comes out democrat, what will be the senate numbers?

So the Senate, at best, is still 51-49 in favour of the GOP if we win Florida (unlikely but possible), Arizona (looking increasingly likely), and the Mississippi runoff senate election (very unlikely).

So the count can range anywhere from 51-49 to 54-46. My money's on a win in Arizona and a loss in Mississippi, and we might actually get lucky in Florida if the GOP doesn't steal it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Rome smoldered for a few decades.

Centuries, or millenia depending on how you count.

Hell, you could consider the holy see the last remnant of the roman empire.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The Iron Rose posted:

So the Senate, at best, is still 51-49 in favour of the GOP if we win Florida (unlikely but possible), Arizona (looking increasingly likely), and the Mississippi runoff senate election (very unlikely).

So the count can range anywhere from 51-49 to 54-46. My money's on a win in Arizona and a loss in Mississippi, and we might actually get lucky in Florida if the GOP doesn't steal it.

I'm OK with losing Arizona, just for the love of Christ keep Rick Scott out of Washington.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fdr was the bloodiest prez by far of the 20th century and i lust for more fdr's

lincoln was by far the bloodiest of the 19th and i would take another lincoln anytime

washington was the same of the 18th and hell i would take a washington, slaves and all

I'd dispute FDR, replace with Truman. He was just very cool about it.

When Oppenheimer came to visit the White House after the war, Oppenheimer told Truman "I feel as if I have blood on my hands". Truman threw a handkerchief at him and told him to see if that helps.
After he left, Truman told his chief of staff "I never want to see that son of a bitch ever again. I have more blood on my hands than he does, but you can't go belly-aching about it."

Truman was also an artillery officer in WW1, and remained a reservist all the way up until WW2, and volunteered for service in WW2. FDR wanted sitting congressmen/senators who were in the military to serve by staying in congress.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 9, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

I'd dispute FDR, replace with Truman. He was just very cool about it.

When Oppenheimer came to visit the White House after the war, Oppenheimer told Truman "I feel as if I have blood on my hands". Truman threw a handkerchief at him and told him to see if that helps.
After he left, Truman told his chief of staff "I never want to see that son of a bitch ever again. I have more blood on my hands than he does, but you can't go belly-aching about it."

Truman was also an artillery officer in WW1, and remained a reservist all the way up until WW2, and volunteered for service in WW2. FDR wanted sitting congressmen/senators who were in the military to serve by staying in congress.

i would take 5 trumans, 5 eisenhowers, or 5 fdr's over any orange dipshit

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

how many lbjs would you take

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Need another War on Poverty imo

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

i would take 5 trumans, 5 eisenhowers, or 5 fdr's over any orange dipshit

Who the gently caress wouldn't?

That's a rhetorical question N4I, you don't need to answer that.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

how many lbjs would you take

Apparently he had a huge schlong so this number might be smaller

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Who the gently caress wouldn't?

That's a rhetorical question N4I, you don't need to answer that.

:allears:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The US is undoubtedly the worst hegemonic power the world has ever known.*

*except for every other hegemonic power the world has ever known.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I think Benjamin Ghazi would have made a great president if Hillary hadn't killed him to clear the roster for 2016.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BadOptics posted:

I think Benjamin Ghazi would have made a great president if Hillary hadn't killed him to clear the roster for 2016.

corpse of vilerat for prez 2032

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

corpse of vilerat for prez 2032

Someone has to power the Warp.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

joat mon posted:

The US is undoubtedly the worst hegemonic power the world has ever known.*

*except for every other hegemonic power the world has ever known.

Yeah when it comes to hegemonic powers y'all are pretty tame. There was some bad poo poo (re; genocide) that went down in the Philippines and with the Native Americans but those were exceptions instead of the genocide that was a SOP for other great empires (Caesar with Gaul, Mongols with everyone who hosed with them, Imperial Russia with the Jews, Turkey with the Kurds, Soviet Russia with the Holodomor, Germany with the Jews/Roma)

I think it was Dan Carlin who once said that a country is a rare exception if it HASN'T committed an act of genocide in it's history somewhere. Almost everyone somewhere in their family history has either been an executor of genocide or a victim of it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/CG_ArmyROTC/status/1060681885117046785?s=20

Mystery solved

Or not.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
:thunk:

that's...odd

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CommieGIR posted:

Someone has to power the Warp.

I feel the warp overtaking me.... it is a good pain

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Sorry to keep posting trump tweets but he's mad that every vote has to be counted in those close races

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah Lindsey Graham is also whining about the FL and Arizona vote counts. I mean they haven't even finished the initial vote count, let alone start a recount, so it's pretty :lol: that they want to ignore votes so they can call it a day while they are ahead.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Really digging the look of complaining about all the votes being counted. Probably won't matter in hellworld 2018 because I fully expect Republicans to steal the elections and give no fucks once they have power but it at least looks bad what's going on in Florida and Georgia. Good on their opponents for forcing the issue and not crumbling into a pile of decorum.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Would a federal election agency to standardize and run all elections be doable or just another pipe dream by my inner Federalist?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Scrolled through the first 50 or so replys.

Its a bunch of people calling him on this obvious bullshit. The kids are alright.

e; Just in case anybody has an email list that they'd be willing to help, MG Evans boss is General Stephen J. Townsend of TRADOC.

I can think of a lot of @.edu's who would love to write to him rather than just the PAO.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 9, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Nystral posted:

Would a federal election agency to standardize and run all elections be doable or just another pipe dream by my inner Federalist?

it would promulgate these few rules:

1. no voting by black peeps
2. no voting by gay peeps
3. no voting by women
4. no voting by anyone with a college degree

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nystral posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Hey so here's something:

Donald Trump Played Central Role in Hush Payoffs to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal
Federal prosecutors have gathered evidence of president’s participation in transactions that violated campaign-finance laws
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-played-central-role-in-hush-payoffs-to-stormy-daniels-and-karen-mcdougal-1541786601

And this is the Wall Street Journal, hardly the liberal attack fake news media.