Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Hey guys I found the Orange Wave that the NDP misplaced back in 2015

https://twitter.com/PhillySnark/sta...ber%3D28%23pti1

Poor Mulcair and Singh. It's always in the last place ya look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I thought ours was the Orange Crush

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

I thought ours was the Orange Crush

Orange Kush.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They must have been smoking something

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Good point. Whats the exchange rate between waves and crushes I wonder. For that matter, how many times does Doug Ford have to "rip" Trudeau before it's equivalent to a "slam"? How many "hits" does it take to equal one "blast"? These are important questions about political terminology that need to be answered by our feckless media.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the metrification of Canadian political terminology is sorely lacking

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Good point. Whats the exchange rate between waves and crushes I wonder. For that matter, how many times does Doug Ford have to "rip" Trudeau before it's equivalent to a "slam"? How many "hits" does it take to equal one "blast"? These are important questions about political terminology that need to be answered by our feckless media.

i think a rip is more than a hit and a hit is more than a toke

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

i think a rip is more than a hit and a hit is more than a toke

Expert here, can confirm

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Helsing posted:

JJ Abrams Star Wars did us a great service in developing the most vacuous and empty story possible where 'the Resistance' is literally just a floating signifier with no content whatsoever beyond 'the good guys'.

they had to re-shoot Rogue One cause the original was seen as too radical for having the main character be an insurgent fighter against the empire

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's a simple point but it really does explain why I found those movies so hollow.

auteur movies, even bad ones like the prequels, at least generally try to present an idea or a critique of something. and sometimes you end up with something really good like fury road

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the irony is if mad max bernier is elected, fury road is our future

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

he won't even win his seat. calling it right now

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

the irony is if mad max bernier is elected, fury road is our future

Hope is a mistake. If you can’t fix what is broken, you will go insane.

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1060534192424079364

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dreylad posted:

it's a simple point but it really does explain why I found those movies so hollow.

auteur movies, even bad ones like the prequels, at least generally try to present an idea or a critique of something. and sometimes you end up with something really good like fury road

Lucas wasn't a very competent writer, especially when it came to naturalistic dialogue, but the vacuity of the new films is remarkable, especially the extent to which both the Resistance and First Order have this Potemkin village feel to them. This one scene has a more grounded sense of history and politics than both new films combined.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Woah, man, but like, isn't Kylo Ren like a school shooter Trump supporter alt-right cishet? It's so topical, the First Order is vacuous because neonazis have no ideology, they're just bad! Isn't he, like, toxically masculine in the way he kills his dad because, uh, he doesn't wanna be good!? And kills his boss to destroy...the past?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the only loving media that has any relation to reality is heart of darkness and apolaypes now and perhaps some of david lynch's work

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
anal ogies

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Baloogan posted:

the only loving media that has any relation to reality is heart of darkness and apolaypes now and perhaps some of david lynch's work

Twin Peaks is a pretty good expose of small towns being seedy as gently caress

Also that there are other worldly forces of darkness living in the hearts of men

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I thought purple hair naomi klein was excellent in that

put some respect on laura derns name mother Fucker

Helsing posted:

Hey guys I found the Orange Wave that the NDP misplaced back in 2015

https://twitter.com/PhillySnark/sta...ber%3D28%23pti1

Poor Mulcair and Singh. It's always in the last place ya look.

i'm slogging through Brad Lavigne's book Building The Orange Wave and i'd recommend giving it a read if you want to see just how apparent it is that the people in positions of any influence and power within the NDP party structure are some of the most feckless dullards alive, just antiseptic tank-bred weirdos, and the entirety of the orange wave was basically a huge accident. it's so cool! can't wait for the next election cycle!

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
a book that's supposed to make layton come off as a visionary leader capable of rallying the national left behind a resurgent electoral force also features this incredible anecdote from the 2004 campaign

quote:

There was another dynamic at play during the debate that didn't help. Unbeknownst to any of us, Donne Flanagan and Jack had cooked up a signal system. Jack would leave his BlackBerry on so that it would vibrate on his hip every time Flanagan sent a message to remind him to smile. Jack's smiling persona was in contrast to that of Harper and Martin, so he wanted to use that to his advantage. The problem, of course, was that many people across Canada had Jack's PIN, which makes your device vibrate when someone sends you a note. Messages kept coming in from all over the country, and Jack's BlackBerry buzzed throughout the debate. Jack thought it was Flanagan telling him to smile more. He followed the directive and smiled way too much. According to a Compass poll released June 16 on public perception of the leaders' performances, Jack had come in third in the English debate and dead last in the French-language debate.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JohnnyC posted:

a book that's supposed to make layton come off as a visionary leader capable of rallying the national left behind a resurgent electoral force also features this incredible anecdote from the 2004 campaign

lmao

JohnnyC posted:

i'm slogging through Brad Lavigne's book Building The Orange Wave and i'd recommend giving it a read if you want to see just how apparent it is that the people in positions of any influence and power within the NDP party structure are some of the most feckless dullards alive, just antiseptic tank-bred weirdos, and the entirety of the orange wave was basically a huge accident. it's so cool! can't wait for the next election cycle!

over the last decade every orange wave (federal, alberta, ontario) has been a huge accident caused by other parties imploding and the ndp being the awkward person in the corner who part of the electorate points at and says 'yeah them because i hate everyone else' and it couldn't be any other way because the ndp are terrible

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I wanna watch that debate now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stickarts posted:

I wanna watch that debate now.

youre in luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC7svVM2d9U

im flipping through it and its incredible, there's jack grinning while talking about liberals' hidden agendas and stuff, its actually really off-putting

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
we need a proper left wing party

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

That party needs a constituency first.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Hope is a mistake. If you can’t fix what is broken, you will go insane.

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1060534192424079364

ignoring that the countries are specifically being crushed by free-market policies and "rule of law"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

JohnnyC posted:

the saddest thing of all is that the ndp are still the best choice despite how insanely poo poo they are

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

That party needs a constituency first.

It's there but nobody speaks to us, I say straight up commie poo poo to the people at work now and they're like gently caress yeah because they've literally never heard that poo poo before in their lives

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tighclops posted:

It's there but nobody speaks to us, I say straight up commie poo poo to the people at work now and they're like gently caress yeah because they've literally never heard that poo poo before in their lives

we need our own DSA-type movement, but unfortunately one can't really get going until the nazis take power because we're loving idiots

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
At least we got Quebec Solidaire in Quebec

And the weirdoes of the Revolutionary Communist Party.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/abaldwin31/status/1061309264088592384

step 1 in introducing fascism: convince white people they are oppressed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if you dont want to be labeled racist and white supremacist, maybe try not being racist and white supremacist

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the ~PEOPLE'S PARTY~ is weird in that it seems to be trying to hide how insanely racist it is, and is completely unaware of how loving terrible it is at that

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
the rebel going a pretty innovative direction on the pro-life issue by dressing a fetus in a suit and glasses and giving it an extremely fake name like "Keean Bexte"

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Yinlock posted:

we need our own DSA-type movement, but unfortunately one can't really get going until the nazis take power because we're loving idiots

there's Courage, which scored some wins at the NDP convention this year iirc, and which i've heard Brad Lavigne types are apparently wigging out about because they're scared of a Momentum-style party takeover

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Yinlock posted:

Ehhhh I kinda disagree with this. Fascism arises in reaction to popular leftist movements, not the other way around. Either that or to prop up a failing capitalist sta... oh gently caress

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

JohnnyC posted:

there's Courage, which scored some wins at the NDP convention this year iirc, and which i've heard Brad Lavigne types are apparently wigging out about because they're scared of a Momentum-style party takeover

It’s not even named after a breakfast food.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

let’s check in with Jordan Peterson’s left wing protégée, who is left wing by the way

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1061540178886561793?s=21
https://twitter.com/billyarmagh/status/1061750536221818880?s=21

:thunkher:

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Nov 12, 2018

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

THC posted:

let’s check in with Jordan Peterson’s left wing protégée, who is left wing by the way

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/1061540178886561793?s=21
https://twitter.com/billyarmagh/status/1061750536221818880?s=21

:thunkher:

I hope it's reported to the defense lawyers in the lawsuit she launched against WLU, the profs, and manager of diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
right so whats supposed to be wrong with white people being a minority again?