Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Doccykins posted:

Is it worth picking up Rise and Fall as a daily deal for 35% off? Mostly played V and have now drifted into VI through sheer laziness of not wanting to unlearn districting but I'm cheap and would never pick up an expansion for full price

It puts more things in Civ 6, but doesn't really fix anything. If you want more of the same, go for it. If you felt that the base game was busted and needed fixing, the expansion doesn't fix it.

I'd have Steam refunded my expansion if it wasn't gifted to me.

Gort fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Or like the Japanese fishing boats UA, that's what they start with and it's supremely useful in the beginning of the game but by the classical era nobody gives a poo poo about an extra culture or two. In the modern era they get Anime.

The people of Constantinople demand Anime!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Gort posted:

I'd have Steam refunded my expansion if it wasn't gifted to me.

Steam doesn't let you refund DLC if you have playtime in the base game. Not at all on topic, but yeah that is part of their fine print I found out when I accidentally purchased a second copy of the PoE2 expansion pass. (Hooray, forgetting what you pledged for years earlier)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Victory Position posted:

The people of Constantinople demand Anime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Civ 5 worked better on my unnecessarily high resolution laptop monitor.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Thanks all, I'll give it a go :)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How much do you like the base game? Rise and Fall is just more of the same, good ideas that are half-assed in some weird ways. Loyalty is real neat and lets you flip cities neighboring cities with some effort and punish forward settlers with extreme prejudice, governors can be made to do some fun things if you plan for it, and golden ages are cool but weirdly limiting. Emergencies and advanced alliances are real cool when they do work, but that happens very rarely because diplomacy is wonky and buggy and unlikely to see a patch anytime soon.

Oh, and 8 new civs and Chandragupta. They're pretty cool. Georgia has a real sweet chanting monks theme.

The rest is give or take but the Loyalty mechanic is legit the best loving thing in the expansion and actually done 100% right as you're no longer utterly infuriated by the AI forward settling you. You just shrug, move your own settler somewhere else and know you'll pick up another free city soon enough.

Everything else was/is hit or miss (though generally a net positive if you're just casually empire building) but Loyalty was done right.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah, the loyalty system is by far the strongest original system in Civ VI. I'm not sure how my post came off, but my only beef with it is how opaque it is, and that's really more of a UI issue.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alkydere posted:

The rest is give or take but the Loyalty mechanic is legit the best loving thing in the expansion and actually done 100% right as you're no longer utterly infuriated by the AI forward settling you. You just shrug, move your own settler somewhere else and know you'll pick up another free city soon enough.

Everything else was/is hit or miss (though generally a net positive if you're just casually empire building) but Loyalty was done right.

because the AI doesn't observe loyalty penalty and is still happy to settle next to your capital, it sounds like this is more of a "feature" than a planned and well-executed mechanic

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's not like forward settling is impossible, you just need to stay out of the -20 zone and have a governor and some spare amenities ready to fire. The AI is taking calculated risks; it just does some really bad calculations. Same as anything else the AI does in this game.

E: Oh yeah, free cities is the other thing I hate about the loyalty mechanic. It is stupid as hell that they turn into barbarian cities that will attack anyone nearby, regardless of how few turns they are from flipping, and that there are zero diplomatic options for dealing with them other than waiting for them to flip to a civilization or making war against them.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 9, 2018

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I found I couldn't even send a spy to them, and convincing a neighbor to join my civ is like the #1 thing I would want a spy to do. Bug or feature?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The loyalty mechanic is terrible when making offensive wars. Most of the time the city you took (unless it's right on your border) is going to flip to barbarians and magically spawn free units before flipping back to the civ you took it from with no way of preventing it. -20 is impossible to deal with so you have to take the next city to ease the pressure, except that one is also at -20. So now you have to take city after city while constantly dealing with magic barbarians and unstoppable city flipping until you've taken all or almost all of them. Best way is to just raze cities since then they can't spawn barbarians on you and after you've genocided enough you can resettle the area yourself. Who the gently caress thought a mechanic which actively punishes you for not going full LEBENSRAUM!!!!! :byodood::hf::hitler: was a good idea?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Did anyone dig up that Beyond Earth stream with the guy gleefully breaking the game?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

General Battuta posted:

Did anyone dig up that Beyond Earth stream with the guy gleefully breaking the game?

Looks to be gone. I found one video on Youtube with Maddjinn, but it isn't the one I'm thinking of at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feqxaxwCRq0

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Poil posted:

The loyalty mechanic is terrible when making offensive wars. Most of the time the city you took (unless it's right on your border) is going to flip to barbarians and magically spawn free units before flipping back to the civ you took it from with no way of preventing it. -20 is impossible to deal with so you have to take the next city to ease the pressure, except that one is also at -20. So now you have to take city after city while constantly dealing with magic barbarians and unstoppable city flipping until you've taken all or almost all of them. Best way is to just raze cities since then they can't spawn barbarians on you and after you've genocided enough you can resettle the area yourself. Who the gently caress thought a mechanic which actively punishes you for not going full LEBENSRAUM!!!!! :byodood::hf::hitler: was a good idea?

I guess that happens if you’re a bad player who doesn’t manage governors policies and garrisons to increase loyalty.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh yeah, the loyalty system is by far the strongest original system in Civ VI. I'm not sure how my post came off, but my only beef with it is how opaque it is, and that's really more of a UI issue.

Original system? Civ4's culture system was basically the same, but more interactive.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

General Battuta posted:

I've watched some Civ 6 streams where the player will use an exploit to sell their great works for bankruptcy-inducing amounts to the AI (hundreds of GPT a turn, but only the turn it's created), the comments get pretty heated sometimes :)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Beamed posted:

Original system? Civ4's culture system was basically the same, but more interactive.

it also didn't produce the utter absurdity where a pressured city goes barbarian and attacks you for five turns before flipping for real

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Does CQUI work again with the expansion? I thought I saw a newer Quill18 video up where he was running it and it was working.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

I guess that happens if you’re a bad player who doesn’t manage governors policies and garrisons to increase loyalty.
Please list everything that brings the total up to compensate for the maximum penalty.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Please list everything that brings the total up to compensate for the maximum penalty.

Having a governor is +8 loyalty.
The policies Limitanei + Praetorium + Colonial Offices get you +7 loyalty (there are upgrades to some of these but they come super super late.)
Amenities can get you up to +3 loyalty.
The diplomat governor has an ability that gives +2 loyalty to all your cities in a wide radius.

That lets you conceivably get a -20 loyalty/turn city up to neutral. Or, more importantly, close enough to neutral to buy you some time to knock out other nearby cities so you can build a real foothold.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Usually all it takes is keeping a unit garrisoned with the +2 policy to survive long enough for the governor to install. Repair/buy monument in extreme situations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
hey so Montezuma declared war on me very early on and I took two cities from him including his capital and made peace and since then no one will be friends with me and a defensive war I fought in like 2000 BC is the one defining characteristic of my civilization to *literally every other one three thousand years later* so my question is: what the gently caress

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Pattonesque posted:

hey so Montezuma declared war on me very early on and I took two cities from him including his capital and made peace and since then no one will be friends with me and a defensive war I fought in like 2000 BC is the one defining characteristic of my civilization to *literally every other one three thousand years later* so my question is: what the gently caress

Oh god, here we go again with the war crimes debate.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Shoulda eliminated Monty entirely then conquered the world

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Pattonesque posted:

Civ 6 is a broken game suitable only for puzzles with city production.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

it stops being a defensive war when you take cities

that being said yeah the way AI opinion works in civ 6 is wack. every game it feels like it's just a matter of time before every AI will forever hate you for one reason or another

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Prav posted:

it also didn't produce the utter absurdity where a pressured city goes barbarian and attacks you for five turns before flipping for real

I always imagine it being like the Paris Commune or Green Mountain Boys

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

it stops being a defensive war when you take cities

that being said yeah the way AI opinion works in civ 6 is wack. every game it feels like it's just a matter of time before every AI will forever hate you for one reason or another

yeah I'm really getting the sense here that this is like that one Medieval II game I played where Egypt decided it was going to be at war with me forever and threw its entire male population at one city to be slaughtered wholesale for hundreds of years in a row

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've always been able to get away with a bit of light warmongering without perma-tanking my reputation. One city usually doesn't hurt, two cities will usually trigger a round of denunciations but most of the world will get over it 30 turns later (assuming you don't just say gently caress it and start steamrolling everybody.)

It helps if you try to get a friend or two ASAP, since then they'll tend to side with you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lmao I just failed three 70% spy mission chances in a row, this game is stupid yo

(I realize this is within the realm of possibility but combined with the Forever War and the fact that you apparently can only build one archaeologist per city it seems like a lot of bad decisions were made when making it!)

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Pattonesque posted:

lmao I just failed three 70% spy mission chances in a row, this game is stupid yo

(I realize this is within the realm of possibility but combined with the Forever War and the fact that you apparently can only build one archaeologist per city it seems like a lot of bad decisions were made when making it!)

It's more than being "within the realm of possibility", the odds of it happening are roughly 1 in 3, so fairly common.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Don Pigeon posted:

It's more than being "within the realm of possibility", the odds of it happening are roughly 1 in 3, so fairly common.

three, not one

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
March into their cities with your army and when they ask you for peace, ask for a city (es) for it. Now you have new stuff and no warmonger penalty.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Pattonesque posted:

three, not one

o yeah sorry.

E: 2.7%. sucks!

Don Pigeon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 11, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Don Pigeon posted:

o yeah sorry.

E: 2.7%. sucks!

Yeah even 2.7% is not very rare but like, on top of everything else it was just rude

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:xcom:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Every Civ 4 (and previous) player knows the pain of losing multiple highly promoted units at ~97% odds each.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Every Civ 4 (and previous) player knows the pain of losing multiple highly promoted units at ~97% odds each.

rip leonidas. medic iii withdraw iii leadership march logistics. baby boy died 2 soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

Having a governor is +8 loyalty.
The policies Limitanei + Praetorium + Colonial Offices get you +7 loyalty (there are upgrades to some of these but they come super super late.)
Amenities can get you up to +3 loyalty.
The diplomat governor has an ability that gives +2 loyalty to all your cities in a wide radius.

That lets you conceivably get a -20 loyalty/turn city up to neutral. Or, more importantly, close enough to neutral to buy you some time to knock out other nearby cities so you can build a real foothold.
Thanks. I didn't realize you could get +7 from policies, thought it was more like +4.

It still doesn't solve the issue of having to conquer more than one city but it's a lot better than I thought.