Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
WJH getting wet again for comedy. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Doltos posted:

I've driven through Jacksonville and it's just a big sprawling city. Half of it seems empty or like another city was tacked on to it. Main cities in Florida all seem to follow the same pattern as Beach ---> Waterfront ----> Ghettos ----> Suburbs just like other port cities.

Jacksonville becoming this white trash stereotype full of idiots is great though. It's not just the Good Place doing it either since Ash vs the Evil Dead was obsessed with glorious Jacksonville too.

The city so nice, the named it Jacksonville

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Strom Cuzewon posted:

For those who aren't podcast fans, my favourite detail is how Doug Forcett is just the yearbook photo of Michael Schur's...brother-in-law I think.

He's a friend of Joe Mande and not Regis Philbin's son

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Arist posted:

Please don't tell me there's a hiatus after this

Harrow posted:

One more episode before the hiatus.

Also hell YES Vicki is back
I looked it up, and not quite yet.

11.15 new episode, Don’t Let the Good Life Pass You By
11.22 thanksgiving night footbawl
11.29 some weird lego jurassic world specials
12.06 new episode, Janet(s)

THEN there’s a month or so with no new episodes - December 13th and 27th are reruns, 20th is a series finale of Timeless ( :woop: ), and January 3rd is a two-hour premier of that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson competition show, The Titan Games. The Good Place returns January 10 at 9:30/8:30c, after the season premiere of Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Titan Games runs in the 8/7c slot.)

01.10 The Book of Dougs
01.17 Chidi Sees the Time-Knife
01.24 Pandemonium

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Goddamn I am still having laughing fits every time I think about Chidi being trapped in that bubble.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Grillfiend posted:

what if she's actually ashamed to like barenaked ladies

I feel Eleanor is pretty comfortable with her bisexuality. Maybe not as comfortable being attracted to Tahani in specific, but otherwise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel Eleanor is pretty comfortable with her bisexuality. Maybe not as comfortable being attracted to Tahani in specific, but otherwise.

She licked Rihanna’s calf after all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

pwn posted:

THEN there’s a month or so with no new episodes - December 13th and 27th are reruns, 20th is a series finale of Timeless ( :woop: ), and January 3rd is a two-hour premier of that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson competition show, The Titan Games. The Good Place returns January 10 at 9:30/8:30c, after the season premiere of Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Titan Games runs in the 8/7c slot.)

01.10 The Book of Dougs
01.24 Pandemonium

:siren: NINE NINE! :siren:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

pwn posted:

01.24 Pandemonium

For those who are unaware, this episode title is likely an obscure reference: it's the capital city of Hell in Paradise Lost.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That reference is not at all obscure.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

it's also got a demon in it (just like the show!!)

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

emgeejay posted:

it's also got a demon in it (just like the show!!)

All the demons!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Phenotype posted:

non Floridan spotted

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm not from America but yesterday I saw a punching bag that had been thrown off the balcony of a high rise and demolished a coupe while driving down the coastal highway and I felt a real deep connection to Floridans all of a sudden

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know why, but I am so excited for Chidi Sees The Time-Knife

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Do you know how few people read that source these days? If the episode title was the same as the title, I'd agree with you, but that's a tidbit of trivia only weird nerds know about these days.

Admittedly, that does describe 80% of goons...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

pwn posted:

I looked it up, and not quite yet.

11.15 new episode, Don’t Let the Good Life Pass You By
11.22 thanksgiving night footbawl
11.29 some weird lego jurassic world specials
12.06 new episode, Janet(s)

01.10 The Book of Dougs
01.24 Pandemonium

Ugh the calendar I use lied to me! It told me there was a new ep next week, double ep the following week, and then one ep each of the two weeks after that! :mad:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Btw if the Bad Place only managed to make a portal now, how did Trevor get down there earlier? I don't remember if he mentions how he ended up on Earth and that episode isn't on Hulu anymore

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zeeman posted:

Btw if the Bad Place only managed to make a portal now, how did Trevor get down there earlier? I don't remember if he mentions how he ended up on Earth and that episode isn't on Hulu anymore

He went through the door like Michael did

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zeeman posted:

The Doorman was still in charge of the door at that point, so he talked his way through. But Michael has the key now so that door is unusable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

The Doorman was still in charge of the door at that point, so he talked his way through. But Michael has the key now so that door is unusable.

I assume he left the key with the doorman, as well, and expected to hitch a ride back with Michael? Whatever, it's kind of a plot hole, I won't think too hard about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I assume he left the key with the doorman, as well, and expected to hitch a ride back with Michael? Whatever, it's kind of a plot hole, I won't think too hard about it.

That's not a plot hole. The doorman uses the key to open the door and gives you a button to press when you're ready to come back. Until he gave Michael the key for his escape, no one but the doorman was allowed to touch it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

That's not a plot hole. The doorman uses the key to open the door and gives you a button to press when you're ready to come back. Until he gave Michael the key for his escape, no one but the doorman was allowed to touch it.

Oh, I thought you needed the key to resummon the door.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i couldve sworn that theres a shot of micheal giving the key back to doorman after returning

e: guess it was just the button and they got conflated in my mind

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 11, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This was established in the very first scene of this season. They made a whole big deal out of it. I even made a quote from that scene the original thread title!

Here refresh ya memories https://ew.com/tv/2018/09/11/the-good-place-season-3-premiere-first-scene/

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Random Stranger posted:

Do you know how few people read that source these days? If the episode title was the same as the title, I'd agree with you, but that's a tidbit of trivia only weird nerds know about these days.

Admittedly, that does describe 80% of goons...

There's a thousand other ways people would get that reference apart from having literally sat down to read Paradise Lost. It is in no way obscure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excuse me, I think you guys mean the final dungeon in FF2 :colbert:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I´d watch a TGP Jacksonville spinoff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

Excuse me, I think you guys mean the final dungeon in FF2 :colbert:

This would require anyone to have played Final Fantasy 2, which is clearly untrue. Stop lying Rarity. Lying is minus 317 points.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ulex minor posted:

There's a thousand other ways people would get that reference apart from having literally sat down to read Paradise Lost. It is in no way obscure.

Rarity posted:

Excuse me, I think you guys mean the final dungeon in FF2 best Guardian Force in FF8 :colbert:

For real I'd love to hear all the obvious references to Pandamonium bc I'm an English lit major and I got it but I wouldn't expect most people to get it bc yes it is obscure to normal people

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

For real I'd love to hear all the obvious references to Pandamonium bc I'm an English lit major and I got it but I wouldn't expect most people to get it bc yes it is obscure to normal people

You're right, the really obscure reference would be Pandamonium.

Pandemonium may be something that people might not know directly as "a word coined by John Milton for the capitol city of Hell" but as Wiki shows it's used a lot in pop culture. I first heard it as a kid because there was an Avengers villain named Master Pandemonium. It's the name of a section of the original Doom video game where you're in Hell. I feel like it's used a lot, often in reference to Hell/demons. It's in like a million song lyrics. Unless the issue is "do people realize that Pandemonium is John Milton's coinage for a specific part of Hell" then sure, maybe that is kind of obscure.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

well yeah, I wouldn't argue its not commonly known as a synonym for "chaos" but the reference to it being literally hell is p uniquely a Milton reference. The Doom reference is a nice common reference to it but I didn't even pick that up when I played it as a kid so :shrug:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

well yeah, I wouldn't argue its not commonly known as a synonym for "chaos" but the reference to it being literally hell is p uniquely a Milton reference. The Doom reference is a nice common reference to it but I didn't even pick that up when I played it as a kid so :shrug:

Granted, D&D isn't exactly hugely popular but it is one of the layers of Hell in Dungeons and Dragons, specifically the chaotic one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember Pandemonium getting namechecked in the Sandman/Lucifer comics.

Edit: and Good Omens.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

And the final act of Diablo II you act out of the Pandemonium Fortress, and Diablo II was probably as mainstream as games got in the late nineties.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The bit where Eleanor talks about how this could all be a test for Michael is either meta commentary or a jab at all those people who come up with the same theory, right?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ApplesandOranges posted:

The bit where Eleanor talks about how this could all be a test for Michael is either meta commentary or a jab at all those people who come up with the same theory, right?
Jen Statsky was asked that on the podcast this week, and it took her by surprise. It wasn’t the aim of the scene

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
her freaking out read to me like someone overthinking some philosophical theories. like, if you're a brain in a jar, and you realize this, how do you not know that you're just being tricked into being a brain in a jar and etc. etc.

getting sucked into inception style loops about thought experiments is panicky behavior and a good remedy is to have someone toss water at you

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ovenboy posted:

And the final act of Diablo II you act out of the Pandemonium Fortress, and Diablo II was probably as mainstream as games got in the late nineties.

diablo 2 was released in 2000, but no, an M-rated game with "devil" imagery would not have been the most mainstream game in the 90s, an era when the satanic panic hoax was still believed by every parent in america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The word pandemonium, while Milton coined it, has been in common use in English for centuries.