Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

socialsecurity posted:

I would if you were actually interested intead of just a group of you from the "real literature" thread coming in here to poo poo on people for daring to read a different genre .

you mean the thread where I am currently having the exact same conversation with a different group of people about the same thing because I am genuinely curious about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why are people arguing with BotL? He's TBB's supermechagodzilla, that is his entire gimmick, I thought everyone knew that by now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
SuperMechaGodzilla is a bad poster, though.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
the main difference between sanderson and high literature is that sanderson is actually enjoyable to read

wow its fun being contrarian and negative i see why all yall do it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Lamps is just mecha but a lot more aggressive

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cicero posted:

It's subversive compared to the standard trope. It doesn't have to be totally unique or innovative to be subversive.

There's nothing inherently rebellious in "subverting tropes," which is a nonsense phrase cooked up by a wiki with an index of Rape Tropes and a list of homoerotic relationships in webcomics.

A subversive work would be something that undermines authority instead of inspiring weary resignation about how bad everything is like Abercrombie does.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 12, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Can you go back to the Abercrombie thread to debate the subversive nature, or lack thereof?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Getting back on Sanderson, I remember someone pointing out something along the lines of how the few instances of sex in his books are rape. Is that still true or did he stop being a weirdo?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Getting back on Sanderson, I remember someone pointing out something along the lines of how the few instances of sex in his books are rape. Is that still true or did he stop being a weirdo?

It's never been true.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yes, that's correct.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've ever encountered rape in a Sanderson book, which is part of what makes him fun to read.
Maybe Tuon and Mat but I think that was still Jordan's writing, pretty sure it's his thing for them anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The closest you get to rape is the implication that Vin has to be very careful being a girl in a mostly male thieving crew. You never got a scene more elaborate than that thank god.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Odd how people forget the genocidal rape in Mistborn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I just finished mistborn and that doesn’t happen no. Literally the only sex even implied is between the married couple, and it’s implied.

Hell characters hardly even kiss in those books.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just finished mistborn and that doesn’t happen no. Literally the only sex even implied is between the married couple, and it’s implied.

Hell characters hardly even kiss in those books.

What exactly do you think a "breeding program" entails?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BOTL: "So, has Sanderson stopped beating his wife?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What exactly do you think a "breeding program" entails?

Oh I thought you meant in a positive light, why didn’t you bring up the fact slaves were raped and was a pretty big plot point. Especially in the first book. That’s actually stated. The breeding programs are more eugenics.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh I thought you meant in a positive light, why didn’t you bring up the fact slaves were raped and was a pretty big plot point. Especially in the first book. That’s actually stated. The breeding programs are more eugenics.

So sex in Sanderson's work is either rape or married chastity.

A rather bizarre dichotomy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So sex in Sanderson's work is either rape or married chastity.

A rather bizarre dichotomy.

It’s there mostly to serve the plot or world building. Sanderson doesn’t want to indulge in it which makes sense considering he’s Mormon. That’s why I doubt you will ever see a sex or rape scene described.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s there mostly to serve the plot or world building. Sanderson doesn’t want to indulge in it which makes sense considering he’s Mormon. That’s why I doubt you will ever see a sex or rape scene described.

He's not arguing in good faith, pull up! Pull up!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i know this is just botl thinking he's doing a good own, but sex in sanderson's work is mostly offscreen as a general rule - Mistborn era 1 is an exception because it's about overthrowing a society that's spent hundreds of years as a fascist hellscape.

by era 2 wayne is definitely having sex with a kandra out of wedlock. dude's come a long way given his religious background. iirc he's mentioned that while he knows normal readers think he's a prude, members of his large mormon fanbase regularly complain about him being too open and having too much sex lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

[Sex] is there mostly to serve the plot or world building.

I don't think you realize exactly what a depressing thing this is to say.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't think you realize exactly what a depressing thing this is to say.

Yeah the world sucks, especially slavery which tended to be fairly brutal. Particularly the chattel slavery used here.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

eke out posted:

i know this is just botl thinking he's doing a good own, but sex in sanderson's work is mostly offscreen as a general rule - Mistborn era 1 is an exception because it's about overthrowing a society that's spent hundreds of years as a fascist hellscape.

by era 2 wayne is definitely having sex with a kandra out of wedlock. dude's come a long way given his religious background. iirc he's mentioned that while he knows normal readers think he's a prude, members of his large mormon fanbase regularly complain about him being too open and having too much sex lol

You're considering things like 'context' and 'story' not just trying to derail a thread with wild accusations of rape fetishizment against the staunchly Mormon author who barely even mentions sex.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

As an aside Sanderson does a pretty good job of describing slavery, especially it’s more mundane cruelty, which a lot of fiction kind of doesn’t. Usually being lazy and just making the slavers just comically evil.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the world sucks, especially slavery which tended to be fairly brutal. Particularly the chattel slavery used here.
Forgive me, I laughed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

You're considering things like 'context' and 'story' not just trying to derail a thread with wild accusations of rape fetishizment against the staunchly Mormon author who barely even mentions sex.

I think it's cool that he's become notably more progressive over time - it's one area where his big team of alpha readers giving feedback has made him markedly better, and I think you can see a lot of that influence in Oathbringer. Especially given the long shadow that regressive, basically pro-fascist mormon scifi people like Orson Scott Card have cast.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Monkey posted:

No one is accusing the author of rape fetishism.

What's being criticized is what Charlesthehammer inadvertently observed: Sanderson's fiction is ideally sexless, and rape and consensual sex are equally unspeakable things in it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I find it really weird Lamps seems to be arguing he wants described sex scenes in his fiction but I guess a thirsty goon isn’t to shocking.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I find it really weird Lamps seems to be arguing he wants described sex scenes in his fiction but I guess a thirsty goon isn’t to shocking.

in that scene where wayne is too busy loving a weird monster wearing a human body to be involved in a big train shootout, i need more details

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not requesting anything. I'm observing that in Sanderson's fiction, rape and consensual sex are equally shameful things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I'm not requesting anything. I'm observing that in Sanderson's fiction, rape and consensual sex are equally shameful things.

No your being critical because he isn’t giving you the details you need. Luckily if you go on Amazon.com their are ton of books to feel your need. Some I think are fantasy. Not my bag but you do you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

No your being critical because he isn’t giving you the details you need. Luckily if you go on Amazon.com their are ton of books to feel your need.

I'm not critical because of a lack of details. I've observed, as others have, that Sanderson treats rape the same as consensual sex.

The reason why he's so popular is the same as for other de-eroticized fantasies, like those of Tolkien and Steven Brust: the sexlessness is the show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I'm not critical because of a lack of details. I've observed, as others have, that Sanderson treats rape the same as consensual sex.

The reason why he's so popular is the same as for other de-eroticized fantasies, like those of Tolkien and Steven Brust: the sexlessness is the show.

It’s okay man you don’t need to pretend, I’m not judging you. There is a reason your focusing on the sex part so much and not the fact that a lot of details that aren’t focused on and that’s okay. No one is judging you. I hope you find what you need.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BOTL can you share which Brandon Sanderson character you'd enjoy see bone down the most?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

eke out posted:

I think it's cool that he's become notably more progressive over time - it's one area where his big team of alpha readers giving feedback has made him markedly better, and I think you can see a lot of that influence in Oathbringer. Especially given the long shadow that regressive, basically pro-fascist mormon scifi people like Orson Scott Card have cast.

I agree! You can tell early on he avoided it due to his discomfort with the topic (ignoring BotL's weird, page spanning desire for Sanderson erotica) and responded to feedback ny improving. He'll always be a little stiff about stuff like drinking and other things that go against his real life values, but he's come a long way, and he writes fun books.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

eke out posted:

BOTL can you share which Brandon Sanderson character you'd enjoy see bone down the most?
I hear greatshells have greatsex, C/D?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

bitprophet posted:

I hear greatshells have greatsex, C/D?

I bet they summon a lot of fuckspren when they do, maybe that will whet BotL's whistle

eke out posted:

Captain Monkey posted:

I agree! You can tell early on he avoided it due to his discomfort with the topic (ignoring BotL's weird, page spanning desire for Sanderson erotica) and responded to feedback ny improving. He'll always be a little stiff about stuff like drinking and other things that go against his real life values, but he's come a long way, and he writes fun books.

Yeah, you still see echoes of his wariness but his characters and willingness to explore things have markedly improved. In TSA you have good, admirable POV characters who go drinking, who curse frequently, who not only think a guy marrying a guy is ok they make fun of a guy for thinking it's scandalous. Some of them are murderers and drug addicts, and even the villains are shown in a compassionate light. There's even a bit of poking fun at indecency mores with how the main culture of the books has a weird obsession with covering up a hand and a fingerless glove is considered racy.

Also whoever suggested Defending Elysium after reading Skyward, that was choice.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 13, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not depicting something does not make it shameful. Just not relevant to the story to describe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's never once presented as shameful, and at many points it's heavily implied. Think a movie showing two characters in a relationship making out, then panning the camera away. The implication is obvious but the act doesn't need to be shown, because I'm watching for characters and a story, not erotica. Like if you're into that, go nuts, but that's not what these books are about.

He just doesn't feel the need to actually describe the act of sex, which is good cause tons of scifi and fantasy books feel the need to do that and it's universally cringy and pointless to the characters and the larger story.

The point about a breeding program you disengenuously brought up was implemented by a fascist dictator who is the primary villain of the story as a eugenics program, and is very plainly and obviously presented as terrible.

Sex is used to further the story in the same way all aspects of humanity are used to further the story. Gender, mental illness, politics, and so forth. I'm not sure why that's a bad concept to you.

Equally shameful lol, why am I bothering to reply to a lazy troll