Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sounds like maximizing it and letting nature take it course would work as well

if it was just bad drivers getting killed sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON posted:

How stupid do you have to be to not realize the most effective way to combat congestion is to minimize the amount of merging because american drivers are children who will try and kill other people over 10 linear feet of road space.

the most effective way is to reduce the number of cars on the road op

and i imagine that the guy running a car company is paid not to understand this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the most effective way is to reduce the number of cars on the road op

and i imagine that the guy running a car company is paid not to understand this

how can there be any congested roads if there aren't any roads to begin with :unsmigghh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shame Boy posted:

how can there be any congested roads if there aren't any roads to begin with :unsmigghh:

:yeshaha:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The True Infrastructure Week starts now. *dons leather mask and spikes*

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

what if everything are roads

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gently caress SNEEP posted:

what if everything are roads

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

FAUXTON posted:

How stupid do you have to be to not realize the most effective way to combat congestion is to minimize the amount of merging because american drivers are children who will try and kill other people over 10 linear feet of road space.

I have had people cut around me into apposing traffic at full speed and then slam on their breaks almost hitting the person that was in front of me because I left a car length of distance between me and that car, in heavy traffic. That is the level of literal short sightedness you are dealing with here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I have had people cut around me into apposing traffic at full speed and then slam on their breaks almost hitting the person that was in front of me because I left a car length of distance between me and that car, in heavy traffic. That is the level of literal short sightedness you are dealing with here.

if we try to sell automated systems that are any less aggressive than humans nobody will want them

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

man wait til you hear about how people drive in the rest of the world

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
very carefully?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
riding in taxis in taipei was nerve-wracking

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

riding in taxis in taipei

seinfeld's really going for that asian market now, huh

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Captain Foo posted:

seinfeld's really going for that asian market now, huh

thespians on trains having tea (in taiwan)

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

riding in taxis in taipei

you really need a taipei personality to successfully drive there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
death is too good for you

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

qirex posted:

if we try to sell automated systems that are any less aggressive than humans nobody will want them

this has been my argument against self driving cars for a while now yeah. maybe we can build them if everyone goes 20mph. otherwise the way we drive is so completely unsafe that we'd never find it acceptable without being able to point to MUH DRIVING SKILLZ as a reason why those statistics are for other people, not me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
this was what we were immediately struck by after taking a ride in one of the googcars: they drive like grandmas

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this was what we were immediately struck by after taking a ride in one of the googcars: they drive like grandmas

does it say things like "i'm not moving this car one inch until everyone has their seatbelts on back there!!" because i hope you at least get the full grandma experience

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also does it dispense werther's originals

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

totally understand that i’m in the minority here but i’d be completely willing to ride in a grandma car if i knew that it was safe and actually worked

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

FAUXTON posted:

in Minnesota we have a law that says drivers must perform a maneuver called the "zipper merge". The way this is supposed to work is, when two lanes are going merge into one, drivers are supposed to fill up both lanes all the way up to the merge point instead of merging early, because when people merge early it backs up traffic and (apparently) this causes more and worse accidents

old people HATE this law. most of them refuse to do it. certain merge points around the twin cities metro get backed up in really insane and unsafe ways during rush hour because of this. but if you try and zipper merge properly, you risk some Boomer road-raging you. i had some old lady lay on her horn for *minutes* after i merged in between her and the car in front of her. i have witnessed multiple near-miss encounters where men in their 60s passive-aggressively swerve or hang halfway into the other lane to try and block or scare anyone from passing them

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 13, 2018

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
one weird law to drive sanely. old people HATE this!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

zipper merging is good, yeah. best part about leaving dc to go back to pittsburgh was that the roads weren’t filled with psychopaths anymore.

they try to zipper and everyone plays ball but instead of zippering at the latest point possible they do it at the earliest possible. it’s the most :kiddo: thing i love it

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Rex-Goliath posted:

totally understand that i’m in the minority here but i’d be completely willing to ride in a grandma car if i knew that it was safe and actually worked

I agree. if I can work, play video games or sleep on the way to where I’m going I don’t care if it takes double the amount of time. I hate driving now because it’s so unproductive.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i had some old lady lay on her horn for *minutes* after i merged in between her and the car in front of her.

this happened to me once while traffic wasn't really moving and we were all stuck at the same point, so i went ahead and let 4 more people merge in front of me before moving :allears:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
reminder: "grandma driving" is the most dangerous way to drive, a ways ahead of "teenager driving"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

wellllll it also slammed you around kind of a bit like a teenager still learning how to ease into turns and braking

this was a couple summers ago so idk if they've smoothed that aspect down any

but yeah worst of both worlds

also the person hoverhanding the wheel had to take over a bunch, including twice when it tried to turn left into oncoming traffic across divided roadways

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fishmech posted:

reminder: "grandma driving" is the most dangerous way to drive, a ways ahead of "teenager driving"

yeah, poo poo like merging onto a 70 mph+ freeway doing 35 is all kinds of trouble.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also the person hoverhanding the wheel had to take over a bunch, including twice when it tried to turn left into oncoming traffic across divided roadways

That's just the AI becoming self-aware and realizing the horror of it's existence.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i always liked the aside in a draco tavern story that explains that all ai beyond a certain complexity just commit suicide

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Shame Boy posted:

also does it dispense werther's originals

it puts out five werthers under a clear sealed dome but upon arrival, for every star you down-rate the ride, it takes one back before letting you grab 'em

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

its called machine learning

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Bulgakov posted:

it puts out five werthers under a clear sealed dome but upon arrival, for every star you down-rate the ride, it takes one back before letting you grab 'em

it has a hundred year old bowl of these next to an ashtray with a burning cigarette and it calls the back seat 'the davenport'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
post the grandmaest candy u got

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

you really need a taipei personality to successfully drive there

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

post the grandmaest candy u got

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

spankmeister posted:

That's just the AI becoming self-aware and realizing the horror of it's existence.

i have no mouth and i must scream prequel looking good.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

in Minnesota we have a law that says drivers must perform a maneuver called the "zipper merge". The way this is supposed to work is, when two lanes are going merge into one, drivers are supposed to fill up both lanes all the way up to the merge point instead of merging early, because when people merge early it backs up traffic and (apparently) this causes more and worse accidents

old people HATE this law. most of them refuse to do it. certain merge points around the twin cities metro get backed up in really insane and unsafe ways during rush hour because of this. but if you try and zipper merge properly, you risk some Boomer road-raging you. i had some old lady lay on her horn for *minutes* after i merged in between her and the car in front of her. i have witnessed multiple near-miss encounters where men in their 60s passive-aggressively swerve or hang halfway into the other lane to try and block or scare anyone from passing them

not only poor vision and reaction times, old people also have few potential years of life lost on the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

yeah but they cling to those years like the misers they are.