Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Fuzzykins posted:

Launch times:

aw hell yeah time to cancel that youth soccer game i was gonna ref

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Fuzzykins posted:

Wait for new content. Prett ymuch the same you'd do any game when you finish it? xD

Other games have raids or more competitive PVP. This game has nothing even remotely similar that I've seen. They did just announce "faction PVP" so we'll see what that means.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
What's the point of different release times for different regions in an online game where all they do is open up the servers?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What's the point of different release times for different regions in an online game where all they do is open up the servers?

They are basically the same release times from what I can see, Taipei is like 1 hour ahead of us and a day ahead of us so looks similar. Moscow is like 4 hrs off? Not sure how this is all going to work out, a little weird I guess. Sydney is like 8 hrs off so lol

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Attempting to manage server load would be my guess, since the day one killer for like every MMO is too many people logging in at once

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

SwitchbladeKult posted:

If I had to wait for midnight US I'd have to leave for work

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If 76 doesnt have server issues day on one hand thats great, on the other hand that might read as 'no one bought this'. Similar to stock earnings reports, hitting exactly expected isn't great news.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Wasn't Bethesda saying this was the most pre-ordered game they've ever done? I've been under the impression this is going to sell like hotcakes but admittedly I haven't really based that on much other than like one headline I saw somewhere

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zelder posted:

Someone in a marketing department just chuckled to themselves and they're not sure why

Oh I understand how using the established brand is working on me to prompt my interest. It's one reason I'm unhappy about this. I know intellectually that it may look so much like fallout but it would just be so empty for me. It's elder scrolls online all over again. drat you bethesda

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

AwkwardKnob posted:

Wasn't Bethesda saying this was the most pre-ordered game they've ever done? I've been under the impression this is going to sell like hotcakes but admittedly I haven't really based that on much other than like one headline I saw somewhere

If you preordered the game you got to play the full game for about 40 hours and could cancel the preorder and still play for free.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
Pre-loading should be available for all systems now, but I'm not getting any option for this on PS4, just the usual countdown timer. Anyone know how this works?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

HFCS posted:

Pre-loading should be available for all systems now, but I'm not getting any option for this on PS4, just the usual countdown timer. Anyone know how this works?

Maybe is already preloaded? before it showed for me a "[x] download as is available".

On my copy it also say (in details) Download status: completed.

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

Tei posted:

Maybe is already preloaded? before it showed for me a "[x] download as is available".

On my copy it also say (in details) Download status: completed.

That's interesting. I see that too now, only if I go to my device storage menu. I have no notifications that it downloaded/updated anything. Sneaky! Hopefully that's all there is to it.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I'm real glad I didn't delete my BETA install because my copy shipping from Wal-Mart will probably just barely get delivered by the time I get home on Wednesday.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Akumos posted:

I have some serious concerns about the endgame in this. With the state of PvP and there being like no human NPCs in the game I'm really not sure what you're going to do once you launch a nuke and get the best gear.

Yeah, I fear that bethesda may have done the stupid thing that a lot of 'open world mmo-ish' games do and not have a substantial endgame. (A mistake that helped seal the fate of Destiny 2, among other mistakes it made.)

There is potential there for an endgame - from epic raids in high-level dungeons with tough bosses to team PVP territory-control battles with max-level characters. But I haven't seen any examples of the former yet (they could be there, just people haven't run into them yet) and the latter is severely underdeveloped.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

surprised, coming in to this thread late, not to see more comparisons with Ark

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
there are at least 6ish or so unopened vaults in the game and if old school UO people have anything to do with the PVP system which seems likely given the direct rip off of the murderer mechanic, hopefully they flesh it out with some factions and it'll be a hoot.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Spacedad posted:

Yeah, I fear that bethesda may have done the stupid thing that a lot of 'open world mmo-ish' games do and not have a substantial endgame. (A mistake that helped seal the fate of Destiny 2, among other mistakes it made.)

There is potential there for an endgame - from epic raids in high-level dungeons with tough bosses to team PVP territory-control battles with max-level characters. But I haven't seen any examples of the former yet (they could be there, just people haven't run into them yet) and the latter is severely underdeveloped.

part of the problem for an 'endgame' is that the game still has no idea what it is

like a normal game would be focused on loot, so if you add a 4 person dungeon it's obvious at the end that you'd get a sweet new gun. but there's nukes to deal with, and crafting is a core part of the game, so maybe you just get a blueprint for a new gun? then where do the mats drop? earlier in the dungeon, or from nuke sites maybe?

but base building and capturing sites are also core elements since there isn't a neutral Home Base area, so maybe they add Weirdshitium deposits and the extractor's blueprint also drops from the dungeon and you need some of that to make your gun? so you grind the dungeon a couple times to get all the loot?? nothin like watching your friend loot a sweet pip boy launcher their first time in the dungeon while youre settle for the same loving stupid cosmetic super mutant hat for the sixth time in a row. or an ugly rear end 70's lawn chair

on top of the reward structure being insanely stupid, grinding a dungeon over and over is extremely UnFallouty and a lot of people just like the feeling of exploring new things, so even the idea of A Dungeon has a lot of arguments against it. the fact that bethesda has no loving idea how to do a boss should also give everyone pause since they'd just go "a mutant, but 50 times the health!!!!!!!". also holy hell, imagine trying to manage ammo if you did anything but melee

nothing about this game makes sense so nothing they can add makes sense

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

mormonpartyboat posted:

part of the problem for an 'endgame' is that the game still has no idea what it is

[snip]

nothing about this game makes sense so nothing they can add makes sense

This is the crux of the problem, yeah. The game currently feels like it lacks a vision beyond 'fallout 4 creation engine, but online.' Which admittedly is something I had hoped for when doing stuff in fallout 4 but now that we're here, it's a question of where do we go from there after the novelty wears off.

It is very possible to craft a good endgame out of this game - but everything feels very experimental at this stage. If there's a substantial endgame coming down the pipe that isn't in yet, we're just going to have to bear with things 'till then.

The game has potential. If they had committed 6 months to even a year more of 'early access' testing, fixing, and rolling out new features before an official launch, I think a lot of players would be on board. But releasing it right now in its current state? I really think they're setting themselves up to get panned by critics and players. (To be honest they should have set the release date to 'when it's done' and just given 'break it early' access to everyone who preorders for that duration.)

I would say to anyone buying it right now - bear in mind that this game even at launch is essentially an 'early access' Triple-A game. If you want to get in on that early or would prefer to wait for them to address issues and add content to the game, it's up to you.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 12, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The solution to the endgame problem is to not expect one.

Once your stomach is full of this game, stop playing it, move to something else.

If the game happens to be more entertaining than predicted and for longer, great. If not, you did not lost.

Also is a very 2015 thing to hope for a game to replace your entire universe and live in the game, going outside sometimes to study or work on your job. All MMORPG games died, WoW ate them.

Maybe is more healthy to have a game that will be fun for 45 hours, then see what other artist can create.

Said that, I hope F76 will have a long tail, where if you want to prolong your visit to this universe, you will find many excuses, weak ones but may work for people.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
add fishing

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Fallout cannot fail, it can only be failed

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Do you understand time?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

In any case, I'm ready for the inevitable Crowbcat compilation of faults with the game cutting to the cringy rick & morty stream and Todd Howard's E3 speech announcing '76.

As well as Bethesda writing an apology letter to fans promising to fix the issues that are going to come up post-launch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9wghdk/is_it_just_me_or_does_the_bad_press_feel_over/

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
poster shot themselves right in the dick with that headline because lol if i read the rest.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Spacedad posted:

This is the crux of the problem, yeah. The game currently feels like it lacks a vision beyond 'fallout 4 creation engine, but online.' Which admittedly is something I had hoped for when doing stuff in fallout 4 but now that we're here, it's a question of where do we go from there after the novelty wears off.

i dont think they're capable of saying that the game is definitely anything because it means cutting out the $$ from the audiences that were hoping for a different answer.

also its pretty gross for them to wait until after the $60 release to figure out what part of their playerbase they'll alienate

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The press on the game is either 100% glowing or 100% negative based entirely on what happens to pop up in your YouTube recommendations, apparently.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
180 minute youtube video laying out the arguments for and against a fidget spinner being 'fun'

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Akumos posted:

I have some serious concerns about the endgame in this. With the state of PvP and there being like no human NPCs in the game I'm really not sure what you're going to do once you launch a nuke and get the best gear.

The whole launching a nuke is not as easy as it sounds, you need to find the correct launch codes, then you need to find the access cards to access one of the three silo bases in order to launch said launch codes... In all the runs we did, and I think we (the goons that I was running with), we came across several launch codes, we didn't have the correct combination to even gloat about it... because even if we had we didn't have the access key card to enter the base to launch the codes...

I realize that is going to happen sooner or later, but It's not going to happen right away, same as having the best gear... since you can find a power armor chasis early in the game, but you can't add any good armor pieces (like the T-60) until you are level 40 or so...

I think endgame in this particular game is going to be pretty expansive, and by then, Bethesda will have some other content out.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

mormonpartyboat posted:

i dont think they're capable of saying that the game is definitely anything because it means cutting out the $$ from the audiences that were hoping for a different answer.

also its pretty gross for them to wait until after the $60 release to figure out what part of their playerbase they'll alienate

Pretty much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7-YJwLANI

I mean, there is potential in this game - endgame raids & base building would be pretty sweet, and something like territory-control PVP servers would be fun. But it really does feel like it lacks a vision right now. It feels like a starting point more than anything.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJeUHqvZM4

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
No Mans Fallout is best case scenario

Worst case scenario will still be pretty hilarious to keep track of. I heard you can't uninstall the beta if you cancelled your pre order, that's a lol.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Spacedad posted:

Pretty much.
I mean, there is potential in this game - endgame raids & base building would be pretty sweet, and something like territory-control PVP servers would be fun. But it really does feel like it lacks a vision right now. It feels like a starting point more than anything.

No we know the real reason they are not publishing on Steam, to avoid the-in-your-face-reviews...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im looking at it like the division which ended up ok

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Fuzzykins posted:

We have an incredible list of updates we’ve begun work on – from C.A.M.P. building improvements, new quests and events, new Vaults opening, character respecing, a faction-based PvP system, and much more.

So nice that Bethesda has begun working on things for their 60$ game which should be in there from day one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive seen games like this before

its going to be people being cautiously optimistic, the game day will be a lot of people running around having fun, the naysayers were wrong, then like 3 weeks later the thread is going to be relentlessly negative and bitter

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Someone link me a good build I can just copy and not have to think about in game please.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

eonwe posted:

its going to be people being cautiously optimistic, the game day will be a lot of people running around having fun, the naysayers were wrong, then like 3 weeks later the thread is going to be relentlessly negative and bitter

so the division then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

eonwe posted:

I went into this expecting it would be exactly that. With the hope that it would eventually be addressed and fixed over time - because I really did want a coop fallout game that much. Plus I wanted to see what mistakes they made up close out of gamedev curiosity.