Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Moonshine, commercial or not, is only worth buying under $10 and it's never that cheap. At $15 you're getting into sippable bottom shelf bourbons. Most of the commercial moonshines are in the $25-30 range which is decent bourbon, tequila, and rum territory. Who in their right mind wants a $30 white dog or cheap liqueur? It's like paying $20 for Mad Dog when you can get a decent wine at that price. Only inexperienced drinkers who don't know better. Crazy, I don't know how they get away with it. Same for many of these new bourbons, they taste like rear end but are selling for $45, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah that's ridiculous. It's fun to get a jar of moonshine for curiosity but that's about it and you should never pay 45 earth dollers for it holy poo poo

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's literally the word "moonshine." For better or worse (and I lean toward worse) US drinkers are not educated. Marketing and novelty will win nearly every time versus quality.

I've had good white spirit before (I even make good white spirit!), but anyone making good new-make is probably also getting ready to put it into good barrels. Buffalo Trace sold some white dog a few years ago in very limited quantity to spirits geeks, but if you're making good whiskey, then there is no room to half-rear end it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had a good amount of Ole' Smokey moonshine left that I needed to figure out something to do with. I ended up taking some Russian kiwi soda I had bought in NYC and pouring it into the jar to create alcoholic kiwi soda. Best decision of my life.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Weltlich posted:

It's literally the word "moonshine." For better or worse (and I lean toward worse) US drinkers are not educated. Marketing and novelty will win nearly every time versus quality.

I've had good white spirit before (I even make good white spirit!), but anyone making good new-make is probably also getting ready to put it into good barrels. Buffalo Trace sold some white dog a few years ago in very limited quantity to spirits geeks, but if you're making good whiskey, then there is no room to half-rear end it.

I had some GREAT new make spirit in Scotland on various distillery tours. Given that most whisky is very much cask driven it's interesting to taste the fresh distillate

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 6, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In other news, I had some leftover bushmills white label, some generic supermarket Irish whiskey and a finger or two of bushmills 16. I mixed them all together in a decanter to see if I can use the good whiskey to lift the other two. Gonna give it a go in a week or two when they've married a bit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

EW single barrel cork broke, so I had to try to work it out with a knife and then strain it to get rid of the larger bits. Then I canted it into the only empty bottle I had, highland park, I should probably drink it quickly before I forget and get very confused when I'm wanting a scotch.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Which one of Compass Box's offerings would you guys suggest try? I've tried Peat Monster and I've enjoyed it a bit, but not as much as Laphroaig 10.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If any of you guys drink a lot of Lagavulin, costco has it 3 bottles for 150$ which is a good deal if you want three bottles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hakimashou posted:

If any of you guys drink a lot of Lagavulin, costco has it 3 bottles for 150$ which is a good deal if you want three bottles.

It's $100/bottle here, state liquor stores.

I remembered to check, at our local ABC store, 101 has a handle, 81 doesn't. I realize both of those are 101. :shrug:

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So where does everyone draw their own personal lines re: "craft" distilling?

I mean, you hear/read a sentence or two about a product and you have the option to taste it at a reasonable-for-your-market-rate to get a pour of it at a bar.

Do you automatically ignore any distilleries that buy neutral grain spirit, or unaged corn/rye/specific grain spirit? Do you draw the line at distilleries that buy already mashed grain they just load into their stills? Guys who blend grains/malts they source from wherever? The weirdos that do their own malting? Or growing their own ingredients? Guys who are at any particular of these levels but produce out-of-typical region spirits? (New Jersey Rum, Washington State Tequila etc.)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Can I talk to the person who actually distilled/blended it? If so, that's craft enough for me.
Not the brand ambassador, or the head of the distillery, or even the CEO of the company. But the person or people who actually make the cuts etc.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I have no idea how the gently caress you are supposed to define "craft" when it comes to liquor if it doesn't mean you source the grain and the barrels and from that craft the end spirit.

Independent is probably a more useful label. It's all a form of marketing anyway.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sextro posted:

I mean, you hear/read a sentence or two about a product and you have the option to taste it at a reasonable-for-your-market-rate to get a pour of it at a bar.

Do you automatically ignore any distilleries that buy neutral grain spirit, or unaged corn/rye/specific grain spirit? Do you draw the line at distilleries that buy already mashed grain they just load into their stills? Guys who blend grains/malts they source from wherever? The weirdos that do their own malting? Or growing their own ingredients? Guys who are at any particular of these levels but produce out-of-typical region spirits? (New Jersey Rum, Washington State Tequila etc.)

My personal line is that it's a distillery that starts with raw ingredients, owns and operates a fermentation system and a still to turn those ingredients into a spirit, and then outputs finished, labeled bottles. So hilariously enough, I consider Wild Turkey to be more of a craft distillery than someone like Whistlepig.

The "legal" definition of a craft distillery is something silly like 100k proof gallons of alcohol sold per year. Which ends up being something on the order of 500k to 700k bottles, depending on the bottling proof of the spirit. The differences in scale between distilleries can be huge, and I tend to ignore the output size and consider their methods and practices more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I tend to drink what I like. It's a little different from beer because Anheuser-Busch and other macro companies produce a lot of really lovely products and they've had a long history of engaging in bullying and downright illegal practices to corner the market while loving with the craft beer companies they purchase, which I don't know of any major players like Brown-Forman doing.

As such, while I appreciate craft distilleries and I've thought about starting one myself, I don't really feel the same need to seek out small time producers as I do with beer. The difference between Budweiser and Chimay is a hell of a lot wider than the difference between Evan Williams and Maker's Mark.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I live in Philadelphia and until my most recent neighborhood change I lived within walking distance of 5 different distilleries that fell all across my earlier mentioned spectrum, so it's something I've been contemplating more than necessary probably.

Honestly regardless of any vague definitions as long as the local product isn't paint thinner I'm always going to heavily favor it over anything else because keeping money in the local economy is really good!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

When it takes 5-10 years for a good product to age, and 15+ years for a really premium one to, it kind of makes "craft" distillers not that great. No matter how good you are, you can't have barrels you filled in 2004 in your warehouse if you open up shop today.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Infinite Karma posted:

When it takes 5-10 years for a good product to age, and 15+ years for a really premium one to, it kind of makes "craft" distillers not that great. No matter how good you are, you can't have barrels you filled in 2004 in your warehouse if you open up shop today.

The best option for a true craft distiller is probably to start out by putting whiskey away to age and then selling unaged or barely aged spirits like vodka, gin, eau de vie, and liqueurs. Buying MGP whiskey to rebottle is just cheap.

I've thought it would be cool to have a distillery that also produces more unusual or international spirits domestically like soju, grappa, aquavit, and applejack.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

The best option for a true craft distiller is probably to start out by putting whiskey away to age and then selling unaged or barely aged spirits like vodka, gin, eau de vie, and liqueurs. Buying MGP whiskey to rebottle is just cheap.

I've thought it would be cool to have a distillery that also produces more unusual or international spirits domestically like soju, grappa, aquavit, and applejack.

There's a lot of distilleries around here that are selling truck loads of vodka, gin and "white whiskey" or quarter cask 1/2 year aged whiskey to basically fund their more fun adventures that need to sit in barrels. One distillery I know of their current long term projects are a series of eau de vie and fruit brandies that they sold a tiny portion of unaged and the rest of the product is barreled up for the next 1-7+ years.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 8, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, make liqueurs! There's a place in Chicago I want to check out that makes a rose hip liqueur, which sounds incredibly interesting to make cocktails with. I have a stroopwafel liqueur that isn't too great, but tastes kinda like caramel corn. There's a huge world of potential liqueurs you can make if you've got an eye for taste.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Weltlich posted:

My personal line is that it's a distillery that starts with raw ingredients, owns and operates a fermentation system and a still to turn those ingredients into a spirit, and then outputs finished, labeled bottles. So hilariously enough, I consider Wild Turkey to be more of a craft distillery than someone like Whistlepig.

The "legal" definition of a craft distillery is something silly like 100k proof gallons of alcohol sold per year. Which ends up being something on the order of 500k to 700k bottles, depending on the bottling proof of the spirit. The differences in scale between distilleries can be huge, and I tend to ignore the output size and consider their methods and practices more.

Yeah but you of all goons can't have a neutral :dadjoke: opinion on this.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Off topic on American craft distilleries, parents brought home a bottle of Bunnahabhain with them in thanks for watching their cats. It's really interesting - I've not had an extensive list of Islay Scotches, but it's, for lack of a better term, heavily peated but milder? Wonder if there's any other opinions on it, I definitely am enjoying it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mekilljoydammit posted:

Off topic on American craft distilleries, parents brought home a bottle of Bunnahabhain with them in thanks for watching their cats. It's really interesting - I've not had an extensive list of Islay Scotches, but it's, for lack of a better term, heavily peated but milder? Wonder if there's any other opinions on it, I definitely am enjoying it.

I like it, but not enough to pay $70 for a bottle.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
First time trying since the change, but... The new black maple hill is so drat bad lol

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

mekilljoydammit posted:

Standard Bunnahabhain is completely unpeated. Going from memory if the bottling has ‘Moine’ in the name it is a peated expression.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

2DCAT posted:

First time trying since the change, but... The new black maple hill is so drat bad lol

I've never had it either way, but what was the change?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

slothrop posted:

Standard Bunnahabhain is completely unpeated. Going from memory if the bottling has ‘Moine’ in the name it is a peated expression.

Yeah, this is correct, most Bunnahabhain is completely unpeated. The peaty versions are called either Toiteach, Moine, or Ceobanach, but I forget which one of these is the one they actually added to their core range.

I don't think any of them are quite nearly as heavily peated as some of the other Islays though, or at least Bunna's sticky, toffee-like sweetness tampers it down somehow. I've only had the Ceobanach though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sextro posted:

I don't even think about it except as a marketing term to ignore. Put a gun to my head and I would probably say, 1 distillery whiskey. Same people buy the grain, ferment, barrel, age, taste, and bottle; and those people know what they are doing, not just cashing in on a fad. I have that bias toward everything in life -- I prefer products that are designed and manufactured by one company, preferably a company that has been around for decades, both are increasingly rare.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

slothrop posted:

Yeah Moíne is the peated . It's Gaelic for "smoke" or something. The standard NAS Moíne is one of my favourites but they also have some cask finishes and stuff but haven't had a chance to try any. They also have a "lightly" peated NAS called Toiteach.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 9, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
BenRiach cask strength (batch 2 I guess) is extremely good. It's like a flavorful bourbon with more earthy/nutty elements.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
As far as the craft distillery stuff goes, there's an outfit here in Oregon called Stein that actually grows all their grain. That and their distillery are all out in North Eastern Oregon I think, but we did a tasting of their stuff in Beaverton and it was pretty drat decent. I think they have some older aged stuff coming to market soon, but I'm not sure if that's also their own home grown grains.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Yamazaki 12 worth it for $60?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

It's worth it for a bottle to check it out once, I don't know if I'd keep it on the shelf forever at $60.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yamazaki 12 officially retails for 8500 yen, but even in Japan it's quite rare to find it at that price these days. $60 is a steal.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Yeah probably worth a look at that price. I’ve never understood the hype about it. It was a decent whisky when you could buy it for ~$100 AU (Australian prices are always high) but it currently retails for $250ish and gently caress that noise.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's Japanese. That's the hype.

It's a fine whisky but way overpriced. $60 seems about a good a deal as you're gonna get.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

obi_ant posted:

If you don't think so buy it anyway and i'll take it off your hands. I can only find it one place in my area and they want 250 USD for it

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

It's Japanese. That's the hype.

It's a fine whisky but way overpriced. $60 seems about a good a deal as you're gonna get.

This. It's getting increasingly difficult to find decent Japanese whisky at a reasonable price. I've got some decently priced Chichibu recently, but the main Suntory/Nikka malts are crazy prices. I was getting Yamazaki 10 for around £25 in Tesco 4 years ago.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just picked it up; looking forward to trying it. What the ideal temperature to store the drat thing? My place is small so there aren't many options for me. I've kept my other whiskeys in the box and the room usually fluxes between 68-74F (20-23C).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

obi_ant posted:

Just picked it up; looking forward to trying it. What the ideal temperature to store the drat thing? My place is small so there aren't many options for me. I've kept my other whiskeys in the box and the room usually fluxes between 68-74F (20-23C).

Room temperature is fine and also send it to me please thank you