Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One thing I did on my first playthrough for each level this time was NOT looking at the overall map. Feels more chaotic and interesting not really knowing where you're going and what you might stumble upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There was a pretty good LP thread for Absolution a while back that had a lot of detail on the design of the game that was pretty interesting. The short version is they threw a million different ideas into the game, tried to tell a narrative but kept changing what that narrative was, and wasted countless manhours crafting stuff that either didn't make it into the final version or won't be seen by most players.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know why the main tower in Sgail has so many places to hide using the Knight armor, considering that you can't vault, climb, or take cover in that outfit and it's hostile everywhere.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

King Vidiot posted:

Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Contracts were way closer to Blood Money than Absolution. The first Hitman is maybe comparable to Absolution, since it a lot more linear than the other Hitman games and more action-oriented. But the first game and Absolution are outliers, and when people think Hitman they typically think of Blood Money, Contracts and Silent Assassin. The new ones carry on in the tradition of the "formula" introduced in Hitman 2: SA.

I disagree. While Hitman 2 had some big open ended levels like Blood Money, a large part of them were very linear. Contracts is the same way. Several of the levels in Hitman 2 really only give you one way to complete the mission unless you start getting into glitches and stuff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You can get either Blood Money or Absolution out of Hitman 2's level design, emphasizing different elements. The levels didn't have as many options as the current games might, you could think of them as basically being one or two of Hitman '16's "Opportunities". Traditions of the Trade, which is in 1 and Contracts, is definitely the ur-Hitman level though.

e: Basically what Blood Money really honed in on was social stealth in a public setting. Otherwise I'd say the level design of Contracts was mostly on par.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 13, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arist posted:

I don't know why the main tower in Sgail has so many places to hide using the Knight armor, considering that you can't vault, climb, or take cover in that outfit and it's hostile everywhere.

I haven't looked at the challenges for Sgail yet, but I bet there's some that require you to wear the knight armor and those hiding places are a small consolation to make it somewhat doable.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Arist posted:

That area was a bit disappointing. From a distance it looks like there's some spooky mysterious stuff there since it's so contrasted with the old ruins, but when you get up there it's nothing but a cube shaped room with armors and an iron maiden.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So in your guys' estimation, would you say Season 2 is generally more challenging than Season 1? It's a little hard for me to be totally confident, as I'm still learning the ropes of these levels, but it does feel like they've made it more difficult to get easy assassination. Certain assassination opportunities are timebound, the areas seem more densely populated with guards, and a few scenarios seem designed to gently caress with players who are used to the mechanics of the first game (Mumbai in particular rings of this, what with You having to poison the Queen's tea only AFTER her servant has tasted it, and the Maelstrom looking like a different randomized NPC each game).

I mean, just to compare, in the Sapienza level from Season 1, I'm able to score an easy kill on Silvio Caruso by shooting through the window of the pantry door at the chandelier in the dining room, going completely unnoticed and not even having to expose myself in any sort of way. I see less opportunities for tricks like that in Season 2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This game so far seems very unstable, hopefully they patch it soon

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I liked Absolution fine tbh

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Regarding the series overall, the stories were always kind of off in terms of quality. Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 are loving masterpieces compared to the dumpster fire that is Absolution but even if you disregard Absolution entirely, they are still an above-average Hitman story. Codename 47's story was quite clumsily executed, Silent Assassin's was confusing and anti-climactic in regards to the bad-guy's motivations, Contracts was a simple "47 is thinking about stuff while he bleeds out, this is an excuse to remake the first game" and Blood Money was serviceable but clumsy with some of the details. Hitman S1 and 2 manages to be fairly coherent and not overly ridiculous in comparison. Manages to not completely poo poo all over the loose lore developed by the previous iterations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Absolution had the really dumb leather nuns you had to kill, right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also while the plot is whatever the dialogue is insanely good in hitman 16

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mp5 posted:

Just put Diana in the field and have 47 be the handler, they're a team

47: Diana, now's the perfect opportunity. He's in a sealed panic room 400 feet away from you and is surrounded by 25 armed guards and you have a toothpick right in front of you.... it's like he has a deathwish :geno:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

You having to poison the Queen's tea only AFTER her servant has tasted it, and the Maelstrom looking like a different randomized NPC each game

I tried to poison one of the twins by serving her poisoned sushi and she refused, on the grounds that she works best on an empty stomach

I worked hard for that stupid corset waiter costume and this ruined my night.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Rirse posted:

Yes. We... try really hard to not think about Absolution and aside from a few references here and there, IOI tries not to think about it either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jerusalem posted:

47: Diana, now's the perfect opportunity. He's in a sealed panic room 400 feet away from you and is surrounded by 25 armed guards and you have a toothpick right in front of you.... it's like he has a deathwish :geno:

Personally, I wouldn't even put Diana in the field. I like her as the snarky voice on the radio. Simply introduce a new female character who's just as capable as 47, it's not like in these modern games 47 has much personality anyway. Or if you must, a female product of the same experiments that created 47.

Though it occurs to me that one of the obstacles with a female assassin option is that women in these games have much more diverse appearances than men. Tall, muscular, pasty white dudes who are either bald or wear hats are everywhere, but female NPCs have much more variety in their builds, skin tones, hair colors, and hair styles. The hotel manager lady in Bangkok springs immediately to mind as a good disguise for a hitwoman on that level, but it's hard to imagine the same woman posing as her and also say one of the runway models in Paris or staff girls in Sapienza.

All challenges that could be overcome by redesigning the levels - say by giving the Hitwoman short brown or black hair and remaking the levels to suddenly feature a number of women with similar builds and brown or black hair - but certainly something to consider.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So isn't the GOTY Legacy Pack for the last Hitman owner supposed to be free? Do I have to just wait for IO and Sony to fix their poo poo on PSN?

edit: I guess I had to actually start up Hitman again and download it through there? all i know is i got the first maps in the new game now

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 13, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

blackguy32 posted:

But the writing in these games were never their strong suit. Even the story to Hitman 2016 is garbage.

The writing in 2016 and 2 is really good, actually.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

I think it was just a case of them wanting to do something different with the franchise. I think they wanted to make it a little more accessible.

I had a great time with it, but so many people were expecting Blood Money 2 when instead they got a game that was similar to the Hitman games prior to Blood Money.

But the writing in these games were never their strong suit. Even the story to Hitman 2016 is garbage.

I really could not care less about the writing in these games. Just give me more mans to hit and more esoteric skills for 47 to casually show mastery of

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

So isn't the GOTY Legacy Pack for the last Hitman owner supposed to be free? Do I have to just wait for IO and Sony to fix their poo poo on PSN?

edit: I guess I had to actually start up Hitman again and download it through there? all i know is i got the first maps in the new game now

Weird that it would be free on Playstation and Xbox at the same time? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hitman-pack-legacy-goty/c1g7pjrnd95c?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

Regardless, I'm glad it introduced me to the game. I think I'll have to pick it up now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

You having to poison the Queen's tea only AFTER her servant has tasted it, and the Maelstrom looking like a different randomized NPC each game).

I don’t think the Maelstrom is randomized. He looks the same in both my playthroughs and all the videos I have seen. He does look a lot more NPC like than other targets in the game though (especially if you avoid the lover Mission Story: in that he puts on a unique outfit but in the others, he’s literally in jeans and a t-shirt)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mantis42 posted:

There was a pretty good LP thread for Absolution a while back that had a lot of detail on the design of the game that was pretty interesting. The short version is they threw a million different ideas into the game, tried to tell a narrative but kept changing what that narrative was, and wasted countless manhours crafting stuff that either didn't make it into the final version or won't be seen by most players.
That thread's thisaway, I was responsible for the horrifically detailed effortposts on the why and how of Absolution. I'll use that dubious expertise to answer some questions about it here.

Rirse posted:

How did Absolution happen anyway? Was it just Square meddling?

While it's often popular to attack publishers, the short version is that the vileness of it seemed to have all been IOI. Square Enix gave them really free rein and a large budget, then checked in much later to discover IOI had spent that time and money making a drastically incomplete snuff film instead of a game. SE intervened (possibly multiple times), forcing them to get the game out the door and axe many of the worst parts.

Lareine posted:

Regarding the series overall, the stories were always kind of off in terms of quality. Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 are loving masterpieces compared to the dumpster fire that is Absolution but even if you disregard Absolution entirely, they are still an above-average Hitman story. Codename 47's story was quite clumsily executed, Silent Assassin's was confusing and anti-climactic in regards to the bad-guy's motivations, Contracts was a simple "47 is thinking about stuff while he bleeds out, this is an excuse to remake the first game" and Blood Money was serviceable but clumsy with some of the details. Hitman S1 and 2 manages to be fairly coherent and not overly ridiculous in comparison. Manages to not completely poo poo all over the loose lore developed by the previous iterations.

If you look closely, the past games in the series have always had bad writing- both in terms of racism/misogyny and structural quality. The limited rnarrative resources and jank of earlier games just made it easier to hide. Contracts was the only game that really did anything stylistically bold, or internally consistent, or inoffensive with it- and it's retconned several ways immediately afterward.

Rirse posted:

Yes, though I believe they were based on concept art originally designed for Blood Money.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I think I'm finally ready to admit defeat on these last few Miami challenges and see if anyone else knows how to get or hint me towards any of these as I've run out of obvious ideas to try(names listed below)

-hot shot
-tanked
-deja deu
-last words

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hitman 2016/2018’s dialogue really is super good even if I couldn’t care less about the main plot. It’s an old gimmick but I still love it every single time you have a target in a precarious position where you can kill them with a single button press and they deliver the perfectly ironic line.

“You have no idea what it’s like to have thousands of people out to kill yoSNAP”

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Blasmeister posted:

I think I'm finally ready to admit defeat on these last few Miami challenges and see if anyone else knows how to get or hint me towards any of these as I've run out of obvious ideas to try(names listed below)

-hot shot
-tanked
-deja deu
-last words

There are a couple of challenges related to the chili shot, off the top of my head Hot Shot is the one where you have to spike Sierra Knox's drink with the octane booster. No clue on the last three.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Hitman 2016/2018’s dialogue really is super good even if I couldn’t care less about the main plot. It’s an old gimmick but I still love it every single time you have a target in a precarious position where you can kill them with a single button press and they deliver the perfectly ironic line.

“You have no idea what it’s like to have thousands of people out to kill yoSNAP”

I particularly enjoyed 47's back and forth with the target in Colombia's sub opportunity.

Both for the ironic bit where the target yells at you to up the revs that immediately kills him and for the completely accurate yet misleading "I guarantee this is the fastest submarine I've ever worked on, Mr Delgado."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Miami had me actually laughing out loud, some of these menacing dadjokes are just so perfect (talking about the doctor kill)

All in all I think 2016 had better geometry level design (Paris, Sapienza and Hokkaido are better than 2018, but then the rest of 2016 is worse), and there aren't any variations to the standard opener which is a wasted opportunity (I really liked Colorado and Hokkaido boxing you in with game mechanics).

Can't wait to replay this over and over.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is this live now on the Xbox does anyone know? Might leave and "work from home" if it is.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Goa Tse-tung posted:

All in all I think 2016 had better geometry level design (Paris, Sapienza and Hokkaido are better than 2018, but then the rest of 2016 is worse), and there aren't any variations to the standard opener which is a wasted opportunity (I really liked Colorado and Hokkaido boxing you in with game mechanics).

Intro level sort of has a variation on an opener: you get there while the location is still empty. I saw some people requested something like that with you preparing for the mission before the target is there. But it's a tutorial mission you probably do just one or two times to get all achievements.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Ripper Swarm posted:

I particularly enjoyed 47's back and forth with the target in Colombia's sub opportunity.

Both for the ironic bit where the target yells at you to up the revs that immediately kills him and for the completely accurate yet misleading "I guarantee this is the fastest submarine I've ever worked on, Mr Delgado."

My favorite was in Whittleton Creek when 47 (as the realtor) talks about the rooms.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
There's a story in Hitman 2016?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I have no clue what's going on in the overall story and don't really care to find out, but I love all the reoccurring characters and little bits and pieces you hear on the TV. Like the Hokkaido cowboy being a member of ARK now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Discendo Vox, I really appreciate your effort posts. I've never played or cared about Absolution until after I played 2016, and you've taught me a lot. Great info.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I had a strong negative reaction to hearing that one loving song by The Class again

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I 100%'d Absolution, a real hitman isn't afraid of a bit of dirty work.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Hero feat in Columbia is really funny, I wish every map had a do-gooder checklist like that

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Discendo Vox posted:

That thread's thisaway, I was responsible for the horrifically detailed effortposts on the why and how of Absolution. I'll use that dubious expertise to answer some questions about it here.
Hey thanks for those effort posts. I've been playing the games since the first one and though I don't care about the lore I do mostly know it just by having played the entire series. Those posts reminded me of so much poo poo I forgot.

Also drat Absolution I had no idea I missed so much misogyny in that game. I mean I remember the tortured stripper snuff room but somehow missed all the references to women as bitches and guards talking about screwing their female bosses/hostages. I've said many times how it seemed like they were going for grindhouse without understanding grindhouse and it feels like your posts confirm that.

Thank god they were all fired. Hopefully IOI doesn't slowly slide back into that now that they've cleaned house.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

My two cents, but I'm sure what happened is that some director at IO had a hard-on for explotation/grindhouse cinema. Because not only they made Hitman Absolution... before they did Kane & Lynch and Kane & Lynch 2. Three attempts of making a game with that edgy, dark, b-series style. I don't think that's random coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I get the overall picture that a large section of IOI resented being stuck in a rut remaking and refining the same game over and over again with Hitman. Kane & Lynch was their "way out", and it was an action-oriented cover shooter inspired by Michael Mann movies. But it basically flopped after two installments, so their hand was sort of forced to return to Hitman. I imagine Absolution was the way it was because they didn't want to go back to making nothing but Blood Money over and over, so they essentially made another Kane & Lynch game but with Hitman's gameplay elements tacked on. Square stoked the fire by handing them a ton of money to let them go hog wild.