Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I need a graphic scene of Wayne and the shape-shifting titty monster doing some weird knife sex with eachother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People have internalized the mindset of Sanderson's mormon fans: fiction can be either sexless or it can be erotica self-published on Amazon.

Erotic imagination is an important thing for an author to have. Umberto Eco and Italo Calvino owe a lot to Borges, but are fundamentally more exciting writers because they're not monkishly celibate in their writing like Borges.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 21, 2018

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
What kind of erotic imagining do you think would improve Sanderson's books? Can you post some examples?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Maybe BOTL could try the demon rape scene from Sword of Truth. If you don't know which one don't worry, there's too many in those books to remember them all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Goons, you keep engaging him.

Let his posts wash over you like the nothingness they are.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Proteus Jones posted:

Goons, you keep engaging him.

Let his posts wash over you like the nothingness they are.

This please.

M_Gargantua posted:

I finished Skyward in two days and it definitely left me wanting a sequel. I do think the finale was very abrupt, very little trail off back into normalcy and aftermath. But I guess that is more of a YA thing and they do expect to have the next book out next year and the final book in 2020.

All the pilots of Skward Flight felt really well done and fleshed out with good character arcs in such a short book.

Also I did enjoy the way Sanderson took the super obvious tropes and just ran with them and give them a little twist. Specifically (Major story arc spoiler) That you would quickly assume Spensa was right, her father was a hero, and that Ironsides was covering something up. Then the gut punch to her in learning that in fact Ironsides was only covering up how bad it really was to prevent her and her mom from being even worse off. But then in the very end you learn that while it really was her dad and not some illusion or doppelganger Chaser was acting on enemy induced hallucinations.

Still want to know what the hell the teleporting slug is and how that plays into hyperdrives.

I agree with every single thing in this post! Pretty excited that the second draft of Skyward 2 is already completed, so not long to wait for the sequel.

On another note, I recently decided to go back and do a re-read of Stormlight from the beginning, with the benefit of having read Edgedancer and Oathbringer since the first time. The level of foreshadowing that you start picking up is incredible. I wonder at what point in the 10 book series we'll have enough hints to dig out the ending that he's buried in the first two books.

Re: Sanderson's characterisation being poor/non-existent - I have to say I genuinely don't get this. There are many examples of great characterisation in his writing (e.g. Hrathen, Jasnah, Dalinar, Kaladin, Pattern, Spensa, MeLaan, Wayne, etc). It's not his strongest point as a writer and he's not as good at this as some others but it's a far cry from being his weakest point too. Contrast that to say, David Eddings for example. Once you've read The Belgariad/Mallorean, you've read everything.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

People have internalized the mindset of Sanderson's mormon fans: fiction can be either sexless or it can be erotica self-published on Amazon.

Erotic imagination is an important thing for an author to have. Umberto Eco and Italo Calvino owe a lot to Borges because they're not monkishly celibate in their writing like Borges.

Lamps lamps lamps.

We are all friends here.

It’s okay.

Which characters do you want to see gently caress.

This discussion can not go any further until you answer this.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Kelsier and the lord ruler

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Kelsier and Marsh.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
“We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattoed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, ‘Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy’s skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man’s skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?’ And so we threw him out, and I said, ‘Look. You’ve got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy.’

Sanderson's characters are the same as Count Magnus Wolfram. Absolutely unfuckable.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

so what you're saying is that you're gay and big bald muscle men aren't your type

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

“We had this fellow called Magnus. Count Magnus Wolfram. Who was bald, tattoed, looked like a comic book hero. And I got them all in a room, and I said, ‘Look, does anyone in this room know a count? No. Does anybody in this room know anybody called Magnus? No. Does anybody really want to be in this guy’s skin? Since this is a first person play, why would you want to be in this man’s skin? Why would you want to play [as him]?’ And so we threw him out, and I said, ‘Look. You’ve got a gay man in charge here. Bring me somebody I want to sleep with. Bring me somebody fabulously sexy.’

Sanderson's characters are the same as Count Magnus Wolfram. Absolutely unfuckable.

and that is why Undying was a good game

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The quote is also extra relevant because Sanderson has written a hundred aristocrats without ever knowing one in person.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

answer our questions, coward

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Erotic imagination is an important thing for an author to have.

No it's not

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

“This Kaladin," comes the cry from the furthest reaches of the Cosmere, and has even now been found inscribed on a mysterious deep space probe thought to originate from an alien galaxy at a distance too hideous to contemplate, "what is he, man or mouse? Is he interested in nothing more than spears and the wider issues of life? Has he no spirit? Has he no passion? Does he not, to put it in a nutshell, gently caress?”

MildShow fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 13, 2018

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Anything romantic or erotic Brandon Sanderson has written was already done in a 19th century Franco Prussian land transfer document and way better

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Frankly, the lack of a passionate and erotic sex scene between Kaladin and Adolin has ruined my enjoyment of this series. Give us what we demand Sanderson, or we're through!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Anything romantic or erotic Brandon Sanderson has written was already done in a 19th century Franco Prussian land transfer document and way better

:iceburn: on sanderson

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sazed and Tindwyl :smith:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look no one engage Lamps until he just admits who he wants to see gently caress

It’s not hard, unlike Lamps

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
He wants to gently caress Brandon Sanderson. This is his secret and the shame that gives him life.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He wants to gently caress Brandon Sanderson. This is his secret and the shame that gives him life.

So is this what they call negging?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You guys are a bunch of sick freaks. I just want to read about Shallan studying the mating habits of chulls. Maybe we can get to see some of her sketches of it, too

:barf:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Jesus christ you absolute fuckers

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Can we just ban him from the thread? Is this the kind of thing I should say in QCS or is in-thread okay?

edit: jesus christ look at the # of probes. I think I'm gonna make a thread in QCS, God help me

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 13, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mods please rename me Most Supreme BookLord

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the hubris of thinking you could ever slay the pernicious finn

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

eke out posted:

BOTL can you share which Brandon Sanderson character you'd enjoy see bone down the most?

dalinar

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished Skyward, really enjoyed it. I felt like it left some questions open, and I wonder if there will be a squeakquel.

e: lol "Skyward 2 second draft" is at 100% on his website tracker

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

mewse posted:

Finished Skyward, really enjoyed it. I felt like it left some questions open, and I wonder if there will be a squeakquel.

e: lol "Skyward 2 second draft" is at 100% on his website tracker

The trilogy is planned for one book a year.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It's actually four books. Plus the last page in my copy had an ad for the next book.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When did he upgrade it from a trilogy to a tetralogy?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I thought it was meant for ten books or is skyward not part of whatever series the rule of kings is a part of

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I don't have anything official but here's a post he made on Reddit:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Each of the books stand pretty well on their own, though the final one (this will probably be four books, not three) is a lot more reliant on the previous ones.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought it was meant for ten books or is skyward not part of whatever series the rule of kings is a part of

Nah, Skyward isn't part of Stormlight Archive. Though with all the sky and wind motifs in the latter, I don't blame you for being confused.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wait this dude has multiple thousand page series going on at once?

jesus, no wonder you guys are annoyed at GRRM

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wait this dude has multiple thousand page series going on at once?

jesus, no wonder you guys are annoyed at GRRM

I don't think skyward is multiple thousands of pages yet. Based on the thickness of the copies I saw I'm B&N, I'm guessing the first book is only some 300 pages or so.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
In between writing thousand page doorstops he likes to write lighter fare to recharge. That's how the 2nd Mistborn trilogy and the Reckoners books came about. The Stormlight books take a lot of mental energy to write and if he didn't switch it up he probably would turn into a GRRM with increasingly longer gaps between books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I like that he pulled The Apocalypse Guard to do Skyward.