Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Nintendo gonna come over and burn all your old 64 cartridges so they can further games roms as a service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

gently caress all these dumb console throwbacks like the mini NES and PS1 mini. I would gladly pay for old games if the whole library was available and it wasn't just on some gimmick retro thing. Newer TVs aren't gonna support old consoles forever and not everyone wants to keep a CRT around, consoles have had random backwards compatibility or a handful of games that get released as "classics" or whatever.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 14, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Everyone kept badgering Nintendo to officially make roms available, and now they're doing it, with all the baggage that it entails.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
"Hey we're gonna sue you for distributing our roms that other people have meticulously dumped for archive purposes, now we're gonna sell them using open source emulators, but only like, 9 out of 10,000+ of these"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I seriously doubt Nintendo archives things themselves to anything approaching the level of detail the preservation groups do. Within a given region there are sometimes 3-4 different revisions of a game, plus you need to get dumps from multiple carts and compare checksums to really be sure it's good. Not to mention stuff like pre-release beta builds and games that never came out at all.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Do not worry, emulation monks have all the ROMs sequestered away in earthen jars, deep in the mountains.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nintendo and Sony could just release something like a raspberry pi with internal emulators and a steam based service and it would make tons of money, but they want to resell fake version of old consoles with a few games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Nintendo and Sony could just release something like a raspberry pi with internal emulators and a steam based service and it would make tons of money, but they want to resell fake version of old consoles with a few games.

yeah and it turns out they also make tons of money like that, so what's the incentive to do your thing

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah and it turns out they also make tons of money like that, so what's the incentive to do your thing

I can't speak for everyone but I don't know of anyone lining up to buy those things and people will gladly fork over money for media when it's made convenient for them.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Elderbean posted:

I can't speak for everyone but I don't know of anyone lining up to buy those things and people will gladly fork over money for media when it's made convenient for them.

the first run of the nes classic sold out almost immediately. the snes classic still sells super well. they are very very popular products

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo was right to sue and I'm glad they did.

People who try to act like rom sites are a vital archival are dumb as poo poo, all that poo poo is already archived.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 14, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Elderbean posted:

the nes classic sold insanely well dude

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Well drat that's what I get for expecting gamers to not buy something immediately.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I seriously doubt Nintendo archives things themselves to anything approaching the level of detail the preservation groups do. Within a given region there are sometimes 3-4 different revisions of a game, plus you need to get dumps from multiple carts and compare checksums to really be sure it's good. Not to mention stuff like pre-release beta builds and games that never came out at all.

Dude do you remember the time they had to pad out the end of their E3 video in 2015 by bringing out old graphic paper they had mapped out the original Super Mario Bros. levels on? I know that developers from the old days losing source codes and development materials was a rampant occurrence and is a good bullet point to use when talking about the need for preservation...but not with Nintendo who seemingly stores everything in their underground, dragon guarded vaults.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Corps are evil and will get you whenever they can, maybe don’t be a dumb rear end motherfucker and run a publicly registered rom site

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Dizz posted:

"Hey we're gonna sue you for distributing our roms that other people have meticulously dumped for archive purposes, now we're gonna sell them using open source emulators, but only like, 9 out of 10,000+ of these"

Licensing is actually fairly complicated and expensive

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvW9-ZFp8U

Heck yea :coolfish:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

empathe posted:

There's a big difference between "I own this legally and I'm doing this for archival purposes" and "running two sites that provide ROM downloads".

empathe posted:

Damage calculations are insane, yes.
Glad someone here isn't knee jerking unlike a lot of you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Silver Snail posted:

Do not worry, emulation monks have all the ROMs sequestered away in earthen jars, deep in the mountains.

Finally, a religion I can get behind.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Dude do you remember the time they had to pad out the end of their E3 video in 2015 by bringing out old graphic paper they had mapped out the original Super Mario Bros. levels on? I know that developers from the old days losing source codes and development materials was a rampant occurrence and is a good bullet point to use when talking about the need for preservation...but not with Nintendo who seemingly stores everything in their underground, dragon guarded vaults.

And yet when they officially released NES games, they got them from ROM sites.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Licensing is actually fairly complicated and expensive

All the more reason to pirate everything, really. Tons of stuff that will never see the light of day again because of licensing fights or nobody even having any clue who owns it.

Everyone who cares about being able to play games should find a complete set from a trusted group like No-Intro, download every console ROM ever in one shot, and hide copies of it all over the place and bury a few flash drives in the back yard.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

BlazetheInferno posted:

As greedy and lovely as Nintendo can be, they still manage to be among the least-lovely big-name people in the gaming industry.

Which is a little depressing.

I got a little depressed when I read yesterday about Nintendo being really tough on gamers with disabilities, to the point where they "repeatedly declined" to work with an organization helping to create adapters for the new Xbox Adaptive Controller (a controller designed for people with disabilities) so other platforms can use it. It's weird to think that Apple and Sony, kings of walled garden proprietary mindsets, went "yeah okay let's help the disabled and support the Xbox controller" and apparently Nintendo's like no thanks.

Elderbean posted:

I really miss the era of Virtual Console and PS1 Classics.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

And yet when they officially released NES games, they got them from ROM sites.

All the more reason to pirate everything, really. Tons of stuff that will never see the light of day again because of licensing fights or nobody even having any clue who owns it.

Everyone who cares about being able to play games should find a complete set from a trusted group like No-Intro, download every console ROM ever in one shot, and hide copies of it all over the place and bury a few flash drives in the back yard.

You aren't entitled to them just because licensing is lovely. Who cares if they use ROMs from ROM sites, they own the rights.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Well drat that's what I get for expecting gamers to not buy something immediately.

A majority of the people who bought them were people who haven't picked up a controller in literal decades.

But yeah, I guess you could just buy a raspberry pi and never shut the gently caress up about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

empathe posted:

You aren't entitled to them just because licensing is lovely. Who cares if they use ROMs from ROM sites, they own the rights.

:pseudo: The law clearly states you have to own the original media when making an archive copy, and Nintendo doesn't own that ROM because they sold the cartridge it came from to someone else. :colbert:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

empathe posted:

You aren't entitled to them just because licensing is lovely.

Is there a reason I'm not or is it just because "it's illegal!"?

empathe posted:

Who cares if they use ROMs from ROM sites, they own the rights.

If they were actually keeping track of poo poo on their own, they would have used their own copy instead of downloading one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will download ROMs but only the black box NES games.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

gently caress you nintendo wheres my endless ocean 3 you cowards

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I got a little depressed when I read yesterday about Nintendo being really tough on gamers with disabilities, to the point where they "repeatedly declined" to work with an organization helping to create adapters for the new Xbox Adaptive Controller (a controller designed for people with disabilities) so other platforms can use it. It's weird to think that Apple and Sony, kings of walled garden proprietary mindsets, went "yeah okay let's help the disabled and support the Xbox controller" and apparently Nintendo's like no thanks.
Now this is some classic stupid Nintendo right here if you all need something to go on about.

vvv "Dire" loving lol

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 14, 2018

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Policenaut posted:

I really miss the era of Virtual Console

To be clear I'm with you but boy oh boy that shows how dire things have gotten

empathe posted:

:goonsay:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Heath posted:

I will download ROMs but only the black box NES games.

Be the all digital equivalent of one of those guys that has hundreds of NES carts but they're all different variants of Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Nintendo was right to sue and I'm glad they did.

People who try to act like rom sites are a vital archival are dumb as poo poo, all that poo poo is already archived.

lol

Media companies and gaming companies especially given their relative recency are awful at preservation

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I can only hope that Nintendo’s recent aggressiveness in enforcing copyright on their old games means that they’re working on some kind of incredibly dope Switch service/storefront that offers an enormous variety of games from every Nintendo system of the ‘80s and ‘90s.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Weedle posted:

I can only hope that Nintendo’s recent aggressiveness in enforcing copyright on their old games means that they’re working on some kind of incredibly dope Switch service/storefront that offers an enormous variety of games from every Nintendo system of the ‘80s and ‘90s.

i think my uncle said something about this once

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Weedle posted:

I hope that it's because they're trying to erase all but a handful of NES and SNES games from existence

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It costs a lot of money and time to get these old games working right, with a great deal of technical manpower.

Therefore, we will only issue the shittiest games that nobody asked for

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Xenoblade Chrobicles 2 is so commited to being a JRPG about friendship and I love it even though battles are sometimes incomprehensible due to the party banter and numbers flying all over the place.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Motto posted:

lol

Media companies and gaming companies especially given their relative recency are awful at preservation

There are hundreds of thousands of people who have entire rom archives of nes and SNES just sitting in their hard drive, and a bunch of torrents of said archives all over the place, and people who actually care about preservation already have all of it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I sure hope Nintendo Switch Online gives us a Spelunker / Super Pitfall / Atlantis no Nazo triple pack soon.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Post-patch today I got my first D3 crash. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Sorry, guy.