Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I don't work in IT, I'm a user, but this might be amusing to some of you: my company (which is the largest in its field in the US) recently decided to make us change our passwords occasionally. Actually I think it was already technically a rule, they only just bothered to start enforcing it.

That's a good thing, the funny part is that they didn't bother to announce it. After they got enough complaints from people who couldn't log in, they sent out an email with a link to the password-reset page, which would be dandy if we could, y'know, get in to read it.

Our manager eventually took a screenshot of said email and texted it to us on our cellphones.

When I finally got to the password-reset page, it didn't mention that it had a length requirement until it loaded a separate page saying "your attempt failed," that didn't have the boxes to try again, so I had to click the link at the top to go back to the original page to try again.

They did get all this done in a day and a half, but I think it could have been implemented better -- tell us it's going to happen beforehand, tell us what the requirements for the new password are on the "enter old aand new passwords" page, have the spaces for trying again on the "it needs to be more secure, dumbass" page, &c..

(also, the too-short one I tried was plenty secure, 8 characters including letters, one capitalized, and numbers.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I don't work in IT, I'm a user, but this might be amusing to some of you: my company (which is the largest in its field in the US) recently decided to make us change our passwords occasionally. Actually I think it was already technically a rule, they only just bothered to start enforcing it.

That's a good thing, the funny part is that they didn't bother to announce it. After they got enough complaints from people who couldn't log in, they sent out an email with a link to the password-reset page, which would be dandy if we could, y'know, get in to read it.

Our manager eventually took a screenshot of said email and texted it to us on our cellphones.

When I finally got to the password-reset page, it didn't mention that it had a length requirement until it loaded a separate page saying "your attempt failed," that didn't have the boxes to try again, so I had to click the link at the top to go back to the original page to try again.

They did get all this done in a day and a half, but I think it could have been implemented better -- tell us it's going to happen beforehand, tell us what the requirements for the new password are on the "enter old aand new passwords" page, have the spaces for trying again on the "it needs to be more secure, dumbass" page, &c..

(also, the too-short one I tried was plenty secure, 8 characters including letters, one capitalized, and numbers.)

Poorly implemented on your IT departments side, should have communicated better, and i would have done it in phases to test it and reduce the load on the helpdesk.

but an 8 character password is not secure no matter how many special characters you use. It can be brute forced in minutes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I mean, it shouldn’t be able to be brute forces in minutes if your system has an appropriate lockout after like 3 failed attempts

Not that I’m totally disagreeing with you

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

RFC2324 posted:

but an 8 character password is not secure no matter how many special characters you use. It can be brute forced in minutes.

Fair play.

Levitate posted:

your system has an appropriate lockout after like 3 failed attempts

It does. It's more than three, but not THAT much more.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Levitate posted:

I mean, it shouldn’t be able to be brute forces in minutes if your system has an appropriate lockout after like 3 failed attempts

Not that I’m totally disagreeing with you

Also just important to never fully trust any single step. When some bug gets introduced to bypass lockout attempts someone’s going to be drinking and/or swearing.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'm went on record with my VP that I don't have enough work to do. I can't figure out if my immediate supervisor is just so slovenly that she can't deliver me tasks, or if she's playing some kind of 4D chess and trying to make me look bad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Macaroni posted:

I'm went on record with my VP that I don't have enough work to do. I can't figure out if my immediate supervisor is just so slovenly that she can't deliver me tasks, or if she's playing some kind of 4D chess and trying to make me look bad.

I feel like no matter which way you go it seems like a bad idea. Alerting people to the fact you aren’t being utilized would seem like you are telling your employer that they don’t need you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Infosec added Firefox and Chrome to their list of things to update as part of mitigation..

Firefox and Chrome, products which generally update themselves whether you like it or not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Infosec added Firefox and Chrome to their list of things to update as part of mitigation..

Firefox and Chrome, products which generally update themselves whether you like it or not.

Eh, technically turning off updating is incredibly trivial for both products. Seems like a good idea to add it to mitigation plans. Auto updating isn't always super reliable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, actually verifying the auto update is working as intended is a good idea.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Yeah, actually verifying the auto update is working as intended is a good idea.

And to expand upon that, turning off auto updating could have a benefit if you totally discount the labor involved. For example if an update to either product showed to have an issue with software you currently use or somehow caused its own security issues. You would have to have a team constantly check/test new updates as well as deploy them though. I assume some orgs out there do that.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Sickening posted:

I feel like no matter which way you go it seems like a bad idea. Alerting people to the fact you aren’t being utilized would seem like you are telling your employer that they don’t need you.
Boss responded by giving me a stack of projects to do. Which I'm actually grateful for, don't get me wrong. Hopefully I get this all done in a timely way and manage to tell Big Boss "Huh, kinda funny that I didn't have anything to do until suddenly I did. Good thing I didn't have anything to do with that, right?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I haven't done anything with Windows clients for so long that today I managed to completely forget that group membership is only evaluated on logon. Wasted a good chunk of time wondering why removing an account from a group that was controlling access to a share wasn't having any effect.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Macaroni posted:

Boss responded by giving me a stack of projects to do. Which I'm actually grateful for, don't get me wrong. Hopefully I get this all done in a timely way and manage to tell Big Boss "Huh, kinda funny that I didn't have anything to do until suddenly I did. Good thing I didn't have anything to do with that, right?"

During a little bit of a lull in our work, I told my boss (who is a really chill guy) that maybe the three of us should apply for a second all remote technical job doing help desk or something that we can all job-share and split the salary three ways. I figure we weren't busy enough, and had the bandwidth for more tasks, might as well get paid for it.

He did not think it was funny at all.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

I haven't done anything with Windows clients for so long that today I managed to completely forget that group membership is only evaluated on logon. Wasted a good chunk of time wondering why removing an account from a group that was controlling access to a share wasn't having any effect.

You can wait for the Kerberos token to refresh (30 days :v:).

I know there's a command to purge the entire local token list. I believe it's klist if I remember correctly. Windows does not expect this so it wont ask the DC for a new token automatically (you'll get permission denied on absolutely everything). What you want after purging is to shift right click any exe and select runas and type in the domain\USER of the logged in user and their password. This will cause it to authenticate against the DC since it doesn't have a local token. It will now be updated.

It feels really hacky to do, I haven't done it in forever since people should be rebooting more often anyway. It does come in handy when you really can't log someone off and log them back in though. (think C-level with 1,000,000 things open)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

pixaal posted:

You can wait for the Kerberos token to refresh (30 days :v:).

I know there's a command to purge the entire local token list. I believe it's klist if I remember correctly. Windows does not expect this so it wont ask the DC for a new token automatically (you'll get permission denied on absolutely everything). What you want after purging is to shift right click any exe and select runas and type in the domain\USER of the logged in user and their password. This will cause it to authenticate against the DC since it doesn't have a local token. It will now be updated.

It feels really hacky to do, I haven't done it in forever since people should be rebooting more often anyway. It does come in handy when you really can't log someone off and log them back in though. (think C-level with 1,000,000 things open)

This is a really cool trick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

klist just lists your tokens, I'm thinking kdestroy is the command you're after.

But I've never worked with kerberos under windows, just unix based systems.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I think it's "klist purge" that allows you to select individual tickets to delete, then follow the above suggestion to grab a new one.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
People who use snowflake characters in usernames.

Alternately: Having to account for people who use snowflake characters in usernames and having to create strange rules and regex strings to escape them out. Chuckleheads who use ANSI strings can rot in an especially damp, dark cell somewhere.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Agrikk posted:

People who use snowflake characters in usernames.

Alternately: Having to account for people who use snowflake characters in usernames and having to create strange rules and regex strings to escape them out. Chuckleheads who use ANSI strings can rot in an especially damp, dark cell somewhere.

If my username can't have an eggplant emoji in it I don't even want to use your service :colbert:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you using Direct Routing? Teams won’t match incoming calls to contacts stored in the GAL which made us shelve the project until they sorted it.

Yeah, we're on Direct routing.

Haven't had any complaints for unmatched contacts yet from our test group. I'll do some testing tomorrow. Are these external contacts in the GAL or members of your organization?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Firewall changes at work making everything slow. Also weirdly formatted code seeming not touched since 2005.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DigitalMocking posted:

Yeah, we're on Direct routing.

Haven't had any complaints for unmatched contacts yet from our test group. I'll do some testing tomorrow. Are these external contacts in the GAL or members of your organization?

It was company staff calling into my Teams number from their mobile, the number was stored in the GAL in the correct format. It wouldn't match against my personal (Exchange) contacts either.

The latest from Microsoft was that it was expected behaviour and they were working on it as a feature update, but their support told me that, said it was in the roadmap, then closed the ticket when I asked them to highlight it on the actual roadmap presentation because I couldn't see any reference to it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that doesn’t piss me off anymore, express updates for 2016 are finally available again, so patching a server doesn’t take a loving hour+!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
It drives me absolutely nuts how many people in my organization think it's OK to open an IM conversation with "Hi <name>" or some variant of such and then take for loving ever to say anything of substance even after I respond.

Like seriously what the gently caress is going on here, why don't people just type the entire message and then send it or at least not go AFK right as they're trying to start a conversation?

Manager did it to me just now:

M: Hi <name>
(5 seconds pass)
me: Hi <manager>, what's up?
(5 minutes pass, no response)

Are they too busy to talk but wanted to try? Do they just have fun breaking my train of thought while I'm working on something else? What does this accomplish? Does it make sense to anyone else? It's like calling someone and putting them on hold as soon as they pick up the phone, as I see it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 14, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I think it's even worse when:

<person>: people talk
<person>: like this
<person>: in instant messages
<person>: This is infuriating
<person>: and I am triggered just typing
<person>: this poo poo out.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eletriarnation posted:

It drives me absolutely nuts how many people in my organization think it's OK to open an IM conversation with "Hi <name>" or some variant of such and then take for loving ever to say anything of substance even after I respond.

Like seriously what the gently caress is going on here, why don't people just type the entire message and then send it or at least not go AFK right as they're trying to start a conversation?

(5 seconds pass)

Are they too busy to talk but wanted to try? Do they just have fun breaking my train of thought while I'm working on something else? What does this accomplish? Does it make sense to anyone else? It's like calling someone and putting them on hold as soon as they pick up the phone, as I see it.

Sometimes they're engaged in like 3-4 different conversations and the other ones have a higher interrupt priority.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Whenever somebody opens a Slack convo with a greeting and then a vague statement about baseball I know they're about to ask me for something the explicitly know I'm not allowed to/can't do.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

baquerd posted:

Sometimes they're engaged in like 3-4 different conversations and the other ones have a higher interrupt priority.

I guess, but what's the point of starting the conversation before they're actually able to participate in it? Feels rude to demand someone else's attention when you have none of your own to give them, personally.

It's been 30 minutes now and the guy still hasn't responded; it's past 5pm local and now I'm wondering at what point I can log off and leave him hanging without appearing impolite myself.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eletriarnation posted:

I guess, but what's the point of starting the conversation before they're actually able to participate in it? Feels rude to demand someone else's attention when you have none of your own to give them, personally.

It's been 30 minutes now and the guy still hasn't responded; it's past 5pm local and now I'm wondering at what point I can log off and leave him hanging without appearing impolite myself.

Yeah, it pisses me off too when it happens, and more than a couple minutes is just really bad planning or playing power games.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Eletriarnation posted:

However ago 5pm was

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Eletriarnation posted:

(5 seconds pass)

How about this:

<coworker>: Ping

I've started just ignoring those.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Fortunately I haven't encountered that variant yet - I'd probably feel compelled to ignore it too.

Maybe I should give my team a presentation on the status indicator, pitching it with "so now you don't have to send people an IM just to make sure they're there! Amazing!"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably a bad person, because I have always treated IMs like short emails.

But at least I don't do the "Hey X," then wait for a response. It's always "Hey X - Could you give me some help with A?" and if they don't get right back to me, sometimes it's awhile before I get back to them.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

captkirk posted:

How about this:

<coworker>: Ping

I've started just ignoring those.

The appropriate response is “Pong”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The appropriate response is “Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss)”

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Weedle posted:

The appropriate response is “Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss)”

I'm a fan of this.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Thanatosian posted:

I'm probably a bad person, because I have always treated IMs like short emails.

But at least I don't do the "Hey X," then wait for a response. It's always "Hey X - Could you give me some help with A?" and if they don't get right back to me, sometimes it's awhile before I get back to them.

It sounds exactly like what I want people to do. I certainly don't mind anyone leading off with a salutation, but when that's all that they say I can't act on whatever they really want until they move on to something more. If they're actually responsive it's not a big deal but when you give me the salutation and then go AFK leaving me wondering why I got interrupted that's when I get annoyed.

This is doubly true for people in different shifts who see me still logged in past midnight my time, for some reason think "he's actually there" instead of "he forgot to log out before going to sleep" and send me a "Hi <name>" for me to see and ponder on when I wake up.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 15, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I think it's even worse when:

<person>: people talk
<person>: like this
<person>: in instant messages
<person>: This is infuriating
<person>: and I am triggered just typing
<person>: this poo poo out.

This is me but also on IRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't mind the
you know
fragmented typing

all that much except when I'm on mobile. I get it, you're on a keyboard, there's no real difference for you. I'm on a phone and things will be much easier if the entire message arrives at once and also jesus christ I'm on a phone give me a second to respond :argh: