Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Beer scene to me is less bizarre because it's explainable as Stallone's idea of a badass moment to show how totally not concerned Cobretti is by this shootout. I can't reason out what he could've been thinking with the pizza except for like I said before, maybe trying to be like an eccentric noir-style detective? I dunno that's probably being generous.

I know what the beer scene was supposed to do, but the execution is so loving weird. He moves to that corner, within sight of the villain, with a clear shot, and instead picks up the beer. It's not like he casually grabs it, or nonchalantly scoops it up, he very specifically moves to a position that's otherwise useful, and uses that position to open and drink beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My dream sequel to Cobra would be a sequel that takes place exactly one year later, and nobody makes mention of how old Cobretti now looks.

It would make about as much sense as anything else in the movie.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I mean, if anybody would do that movie it's Sly, so hold out hope!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Some people do cut pizza with scissors, just not... like that. So maybe Sly heard about people doing it but didn't realize how and nobody wanted to point out how weird it was

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

So I got high and watched Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear based solely on the name, and I dunno what I expected but it owned. I remember seeing the movie this was based on back in the day, but its ultimately unrelated except for the concept of ninjas. The story is about as boilerplate as you can get, but that only added to its charm in my estimation. Basically, it's the most 80s movie I've seen made this millennium. The key lighting, fight scene poses, montages, and as I said before, narrative all scream 80s action flick. The film knows it too, and plays it totally straight and leans into it. A standout aspect to me is how dynamic and choreographed the camera is. It moves around fights and is as snappy as the fights are. Lots of action gets accentuated by the camera movement. The fights themselves weren't anything to call home about, but the whole package is well put together and its a great movie when taken lightly.

It gets an A- from me.

Here's a few gifs I took from it for reasons unrelated to this post:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Cobra has so many great/bizarre touches.

• The guy in the suit and tie at the serial killer meeting. "Coming for a beer, Bob from accounting?" "No, I'm, uh... meeting my mom. With these axes."
• Stallone's car going as fast backwards as forwards.
• The Night Slasher grabbing a nurse by the throat while he's still hiding under a bed.
• The random steel mill in the middle of an orange grove.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 13, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a couple of memories I have of movies during the 80s/early 90s that I'm genuinely sad that younger people won't get to experience.

Seeing Willow and knowing it was directed by Ron Howard and not much else and the the initial kind of slow intro into a more idyllic setting followed by the segue into Mad Martigan boasting "I am the greatest swordsmen who ever lived!" and then getting clowned for 45 minutes before the actual reveal of "YOU ARE GREAT!!!!!!!"

Seeing Return of the Jedi 3 days after it opened with my mom and knowing deep down in my heart that it was all over after this one and being absolutely euphoric when I walked out of the theater and felt it had the perfect ending to the series.

Total Recall's ad campaign just being a bunch of weird poo poo that really didn't tell you anything about the movie and coming after a string of Arnie disappointments and comedies (Kindergarten Cop and Twins are fun, but they aren't exactly primo Arnie material) and the crown erupting when the movie finally showed its hand and revealed it was A Fuckin' Arnie Action Movie

Die Hard, a friend recommended it to me, all we knew is that the Moonlighting Guy was in it and it, my friend and I rode the bus and walked for like 30 minutes to see it, I remember the part where John is about to jump off the building and my friend leaned over and said to me "I cannot loving BELIEVE how good this movie is!" (I hear you buddy)

And my mom pulling my brother and I out of school to see Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on opening day. Bless her.

I probably watched Willow every day of my life when I was around 6-7 years old. I really miss that dirty 80s fantasy aesthetic and I can't believe that in our current zeitgeist of all 80s all the time, that particular area has gone overlooked.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Ninja 2 is so much fun. Scott Adkin's Japanese pronunciation is so horrid it veers right into comedy. Plus it has Kane Kosugi! Really great fight sequences and I'm glad the director was smart enough to just let the camera hang back and let Adkins and the rest of the stunt team do their thing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, Ninja 2 is a lot of fun. I actually haven't seen the first one, but they do a good job of selling his character. After the Undisputed and Universal Soldier films it's probably my favourite Adkins.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Ninja 1 is a bit different, it's like an episode of Xena crossed with Power rangers

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ninja 2 sounds like what we really wanted movies like American Ninja and Samurai Cop to be when we were kids.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

exquisite tea posted:

I probably watched Willow every day of my life when I was around 6-7 years old. I really miss that dirty 80s fantasy aesthetic and I can't believe that in our current zeitgeist of all 80s all the time, that particular area has gone overlooked.

It really is incredible that aesthetic is being mostly ignored while the loving Miami Vice look infiltrated via VAPORWAVE. Hardly seems fair.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone ever see Sahara? I know it tanked big time but I've always been curious. Also, the main theme by Clint Mansell is an absolute banger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA8xyTfgwo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its a decent modern-day indiana jones knockoff

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Predator 2 might have the best "80s crime panic" opening ever.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I legit buy that Cobra and Predator 2 exist in a shared universe.

Laser sights for everybody!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sean10mm posted:

"Rush-hour rambos" has long been in my personal lexicon.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Specifically, the Jamaican crime panic, which also shows up in 'Marked for Death' with Steven Seagal. Apparently it was a thing for a short time, where Jamaican gangs did make inroads and were fond of dramatic, public killings, which in turn brought down a lot of focus.

Like how crime stuff from the early aughts is marked by MS-13 guys with face tattoos (which was also quite a brief thing. I mean, the gang still exists, but they stopped doing face tattoos)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Just saw Overlord, go watch it. Especially in a cinema with a good soundsystem.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Would anyone be interested in creating a new Western Megathread?

There's quite a few new Westerns every year now, and there's a new appreciation for the classics, I thought it'd be a good idea. I don't mind writing it, but I'd rather it be written by someone who loves the genre.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

Ninja 1 is a bit different, it's like an episode of Xena crossed with Power rangers

Yeah, If anyone is reading this who hasn't seen them yet watch Ninja 1 first. It's amazing going in to the 2nd one and expecting a similar movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
A Western thread has been made, for interested action-oriented cowpokes

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wanna hear y'alls' take on Creed 2, please.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmxccBt1FE

I know that the budget for these movies is whatever money Vince McMahon can find in his sofa cushions, but how on earth can you have a fight scene between two trained wrestlers and have it look so bad?

The editing is insanely bad and they move so slow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrBling posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmxccBt1FE

I know that the budget for these movies is whatever money Vince McMahon can find in his sofa cushions, but how on earth can you have a fight scene between two trained wrestlers and have it look so bad?

The editing is insanely bad and they move so slow.

Film fight choreo is a way different skill.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It really is. See any martial arts film starring actual fighters. There is no correlation between their ability to hurt people in real life and their ability to look like they can hurt people on camera.

Meanwhile, good choreography and film making can make the lead from 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' into an unstoppable killing machine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Gareth Evans was doing a documentary on silat and discovered Uwais and Ruhian that way, although it seems like Ruhian has the more natural talent for choreography because he's the one credited for it in Merantau and The Raid.

As far as martial arts go, someone like Keanu is really the exception to the rule, that an actor like that with basically no real fighting background would develop those kind of skills. Overall most successful stars in the martial arts world(so not talking your Arnolds or Stallones here) do have something legit in their history that gives them a basic skill set. It's translating that into something that looks good on screen where a lot of them fail.

Point is, pro wrestling isn't a martial art. It's a very specific kind of theater. So the skills developed there are almost completely useless for the kind of fight scene most movies are going for these days.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 22, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Gareth Evans was doing a documentary on silat and discovered Uwais and Ruhian that way, although it seems like Ruhian has the more natural talent for choreography because he's the one credited for it in Merantau and The Raid.

As far as martial arts go, someone like Keanu is really the exception to the rule, that an actor like that with basically no real fighting background would develop those kind of skills. Overall most successful stars in the martial arts world(so not talking your Arnolds or Stallones here) do have something legit in their history that gives them a basic skill set. It's translating that into something that looks good on screen where a lot of them fail.

Point is, pro wrestling isn't a martial art. It's a very specific kind of theater. So the skills developed there are almost completely useless for the kind of fight scene most movies are going for these days.

JCVD was good at movie fighting not because he's a professional fighter (apparently his fight record is a matter of dispute) but because he's a freak athlete with pinpoint control of his limbs. Ditto on Uwais and Ruhian, who have astonishing flexibility and dexterity in their legs (and bullshit hand speed)

I mean, it's not to say that pro-fighters couldn't learn how to screen fight (Jackie Chan's best fight was with Urquidez, who was a long pants kickboxer) simply that there isn't a correlation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

JCVD was good at movie fighting not because he's a professional fighter (apparently his fight record is a matter of dispute) but because he's a freak athlete with pinpoint control of his limbs. Ditto on Uwais and Ruhian, who have astonishing flexibility and dexterity in their legs (and bullshit hand speed)

I mean, it's not to say that pro-fighters couldn't learn how to screen fight (Jackie Chan's best fight was with Urquidez, who was a long pants kickboxer) simply that there isn't a correlation.

Sorry, I realize now that when I said "real fighting background" you probably thought I meant actual fighting like competitively. I meant that typically the ones who have succeeded have trained pretty seriously in some form of martial arts. It's rare to see someone just start from scratch with no martial arts background of any kind and they just step in and and do top level fight scenes. I mean, it can happen but it's the exception. So while Jackie Chan's background was in martial arts performance, not actual fights, still he had skills that regular actors don't.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Sorry, I realize now that when I said "real fighting background" you probably thought I meant actual fighting like competitively. I meant that typically the ones who have succeeded have trained pretty seriously in some form of martial arts. It's rare to see someone just start from scratch with no martial arts background of any kind and they just step in and and do top level fight scenes. I mean, it can happen but it's the exception. So while Jackie Chan's background was in martial arts performance, not actual fights, still he had skills that regular actors don't.

If they're in decent shape they can do it. Apparently Sebastian Stan did most/all of his own knife work for Winter Soldier, and the little of it I could see in that movie was impressive.

Same on, astonishingly enough, Colin Firth, who did something like 90% of his own stunts according to the stunt team on Kingsmen.

Actually, with the caveat 'top level fight scenes' i agree.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something like Kingsmen has a lot of stunts and action scenes that I wouldn't really put in the same category as a "fight scene". Just as impressive in their own way but not the same as like Rama/Andi vs. Maddog or Ip Man vs. 10 guys.

And that's kinda the point, pro wrestlers are much better suited to just be stuntmen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Snowman_McK posted:

Incidentally, Who Am I? is a good example of how being an excellent fighter doesn't necessarily make you an excellent screen fighter. Jackie hired Dutch martial artists Ron Smoorenburg for the film's rooftop fight after being impressed by his kicking skills. However, Smoorenburg had trouble adjusting to the particular rhythmic movements that Jackie and his stunt team use, so they had to double him during some of the more complex sequences.

Screen fighting seems to be much more about engaging in a sort of dance with your sparring partner than a normal fight would, which is probably why a lot of fighters can't make the transition.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

Incidentally, Who Am I? is a good example of how being an excellent fighter doesn't necessarily make you an excellent screen fighter. Jackie hired Dutch martial artists Ron Smoorenburg for the film's rooftop fight after being impressed by his kicking skills. However, Smoorenburg had trouble adjusting to the particular rhythmic movements that Jackie and his stunt team use, so they had to double him during some of the more complex sequences.

Screen fighting seems to be much more about engaging in a sort of dance with your sparring partner than a normal fight would, which is probably why a lot of fighters can't make the transition.

Is that the dude in Every Frame A Painting's analysis of Jackie Chan where Chan gets frustrated because homeboy can't hit his marks?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think a good action choreographer is maybe the biggest thing. It’s amazing how good Sammo made Louis Koo, of all people, look in Paradox.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

Is that the dude in Every Frame A Painting's analysis of Jackie Chan where Chan gets frustrated because homeboy can't hit his marks?

And he's subbed in by the tiny Australian guy on Jackie's team, the one from Gorgeous. That dude is simply amazing. Gravity does not apply to him.

Brad Allen is his name.

Something that always showed the difference to me was this knockout: https://youtu.be/bpkocQXaTVs?t=373

the first time I saw it, there was just a blur, then one guy fell over. In the replay, you can see that Rampage Jackson turns his whole body into the punch and could probably have stopped a train. But, at full speed, it's just a small turn, because he's punching efficiently, which is how you punch hard.

By contrast, those goofy arm punches Donnie Yen was throwing in Flashpoint are awful technique, but look loving amazing on camera.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

JCVD was good at movie fighting not because he's a professional fighter (apparently his fight record is a matter of dispute) but because he's a freak athlete with pinpoint control of his limbs.

I wouldn't be surprised if JCVD's talent at movie fighting is more attributable to his experience in ballet than in martial arts.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

FancyMike posted:

I think a good action choreographer is maybe the biggest thing. It’s amazing how good Sammo made Louis Koo, of all people, look in Paradox.

Louis Koo has worse fighting skills than acting range, which certainly is something.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also, check out behind-the-scenes/docs footage of fights being filmed off-angle sometime. They often look hilariously bad from any direction but the recording camera since it's, you know, a fake fight meant specifically not to hurt anyone but look really exaggerated and cool after editing. I'd imagine people with a strictly practical martial arts/fighting background would have as much trouble going through those motions as like, an Olympic gymnast would if you asked them to do their routine at half speed in a zigzag pattern.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I really don't like this Morel dudes action films. They are very sanitized R rated affairs. I was confused by the lack of good squibs in a lot of Peppermint. So many times a bad guy just drops, and when Garner shoot someone in the face point blank with a shotgun it just creates a small impact that you see for half a second. The Gunman and Taken had the same problems. It's as though the director feels just the act of shooting a gun is cool, and no thought is really given to impact. Also he somehow manages to make action films without a single memorable action beat.

When Garner takes out hammer and nails I immediately thought "They're not going to show her putting them in" and sure enough you don't. Just really bland violence that would be really easy to edit into a PG-13.

/sadist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Pierre Morel and Oliver Megaton are easily the two worst action directors around today. Neither of them can frame or block or shoot a dialogue scene that well, let alone an action sequence. I still don't know how Megaton didn't just retire after the fence jump in Taken 3. Tak3n.