Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It wouldn’t be SA if we didn’t describe any time anyone gets mildly ruffled as a meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

First time GO came out, I ended up walking around my local grocery store looking for Pokémon.

I saw this guy across to the far side of the store with his phone walking around. He was maybe early to mid 30’s. He looked up at me, and then walks up slowly and points. “Pokémon Go?”

We both talked about it for a bit but it was pretty funny just catching some random dude running around the same store doing exactly what I was doing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I do actually like this one thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOXoRgykS0

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also my first probe here ever was a Pokémon go joke about a Ghastly over the “three little devils” scene from Trash Humpers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

In the sense that they're basically just a way to trigger various effects in that area of the park, yeah. Unfortunately, you can't cast Magic Missile on people for cutting in line.

lame

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

The social aspect is what makes that series so brilliant.

Pokémon is an incredibly well-designed game because it lets you get as casual or into it as you want. You can complete the game’s story, and that can be it. Or you can also do the post-game stuff, or you can complete the Pokédex, or you can do breeding and battling (which require VERY different skills from the main game), there’s a lot to the Pokémon games and it’s very well put-together.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Pokémon is an incredibly well-designed game because it lets you get as casual or into it as you want. You can complete the game’s story, and that can be it. Or you can also do the post-game stuff, or you can complete the Pokédex, or you can do breeding and battling (which require VERY different skills from the main game), there’s a lot to the Pokémon games and it’s very well put-together.

Theyve done a lot to streamline the breeding stuff the past couple gens and it's so much better because of that. *opens spreadsheet with all my high quality pokemon breeds like some kind of lovely puppy mill owner*

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

Theyve done a lot to streamline the breeding stuff the past couple gens and it's so much better because of that. *opens spreadsheet with all my high quality pokemon breeds like some kind lovely puppy mill owner*

My girlfriend was considering getting into breeding/competitive play and it sounds wild, like in Sun/Moon specifically you need to wait for the like 40th SOS Pokémon to show up in a battle to get the really good EVs and then you need to breed it and see what it’s nature is and aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My girlfriend was considering getting into breeding/competitive play and it sounds wild, like in Sun/Moon specifically you need to wait for the like 40th SOS Pokémon to show up in a battle to get the really good EVs and then you need to breed it and see what it’s nature is and aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Yeah if you have to start from scratch it can be brutal. If she still wants to theres a pokemon trading thread on sa and they are super friendly with setting people up with good breeding parents. Then it's just using items like destiny knot and everstone to pass on stuff you want the parents to pass on to the babies

E: the whole "babies inherit the same type pokeball as the parents" thing is crazy, but I'm not surprised people spend time doing that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really wish I could still be into Pokemon but there's just something about the incremental changes they made and the evolving art style that bounces me right off anything made after the second gen.

I feel so left out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish I could still be into Pokemon but there's just something about the incremental changes they made and the evolving art style that bounces me right off anything made after the second gen.

I feel so left out.

I started playing Pokemon Emerald after it being recommended in the last thread, and it's just the right mix of old and new for me. I'm really enjoying it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My favorite gen is Gen 5. (Black and White.) It was the peak of the 2D era, with the fastest battles, and a whole brand new 150 Pokemon. You don't see any old Pokemon until you beat the game. Not even Pikachu. It was pretty bold. It has a robust post-game too.

Sadly, it doesn't get much respect these days.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

My favorite gen is Gen 5. (Black and White.) It was the peak of the 2D era, with the fastest battles, and a whole brand new 150 Pokemon. You don't see any old Pokemon until you beat the game. Not even Pikachu. It was pretty bold. It has a robust post-game too.

Yeah BnW was cool. My fav is platinum tho. I loved Sinnoh and meeting the God Pokemon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remember Pokémon snap

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Remember Pokémon snap

The singing jigglypuffs :3

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CelticPredator posted:

Remember Pokémon snap

Hell yeah I love throwing pester balls

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Remember Pokémon snap

Hours and hours spent pummeling Pokemon with apples.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only got to the first level and took it back to blockbuster soon after haha

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A new Pokemon Snap was literally the one thing that could've given the Wii U a reason to exist. smh

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

I blame the crappy Exp. Share system, which makes leveling up a balanced team so much more difficult and time-consuming. I think Let’s Go is getting rid of Exp. Share as an item, and it’ll just always be in play, which could be interesting.

CelticPredator posted:

Remember Pokémon snap

Pokémon snap ruled

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was going to post that clip from the Simpsons with Bill Cosby talking about Pokemon but I feel like it's not funny anymore what with his status as an unrepentant serial rapist being revealed to the world.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pokemon go? More like "Pokemon, go away!" am I right you guys?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pokémon owns

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Pokémon owns

I prefer Digimon.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

CPL593H posted:

I prefer Digimon.

Haha and you have the gall to complain about what other people like!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I blame the crappy Exp. Share system, which makes leveling up a balanced team so much more difficult and time-consuming. I think Let’s Go is getting rid of Exp. Share as an item, and it’ll just always be in play, which could be interesting.

Yeah, that thing was never my favorite. I do miss Gen V's Switch battles. Those were tactical as hell. The meta-game of anticipating who your opponent could switch in was exciting.

CelticPredator posted:

Pokémon owns

Hell yeah it does. I'm looking forward to Let's Go. I'm getting the Pikachu version, and I bought my girlfriend the Switch Eevee bundle for Christmas. I can't wait to see the look on her face when I give it to her when we go on vacation next month.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I prefer Digimon.

The newer Digitmon games are Persona-lite and I wanna give them a shot someday but I'll never have enough time to finish my backlog unless I get fired or laid off or something.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I played Pokemon but watched Digimon, i'm that kid

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Digimon taught me about 666 being the number of the beast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When it comes to adults not leaving behind childish things, I have infinitely more patience for something like pokemon than, for example, my ex who is almost 40 and just sent me a link to their "poetry blog" on which everything is written in that specifically early-college word salad/hippie platitude style. And then asking me to critique it. All I could say politely is that it's a style I've long since moved past and so I have no real input as to whether it's good or not.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pokemon Go back to GBS

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat Widows was great. It reminded me how good movies are to the extent that I bought a ticket for Wildlife and am now waiting to see that.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If Nintendo doesn’t make Pokémon Snap VR then they don’t deserve to exist as a company.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Digimon taught me about 666 being the number of the beast.

Digimon season 3 was amazingly hosed up for a children’s show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Harry Potter replaced Pokemon for me and I was into Harry Potter for longer. I have nostalgia for both of them but with Pokemon it's pretty much just for the trading cards (which in my school were the most popular part of the craze) and the first season or two (?) of the anime series; pretty much up to Ash competing in the Pokemon League.

I didn't think of the Pokemon cartoon as an anime series, though. Pokemon was just another cartoon to me - just part of the craze along with the games and the card game and everything else - and Dragon Ball Z was the first "proper" anime series to me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hell yeah it does. I'm looking forward to Let's Go. I'm getting the Pikachu version, and I bought my girlfriend the Switch Eevee bundle for Christmas. I can't wait to see the look on her face when I give it to her when we go on vacation next month.

I’m also getting the Pikachu version, and my girlfriend’s getting the Eevee version, and we’ve basically slotted our this whole weekend for Pokémon.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

Pokemon go? More like "Pokemon, go away!" am I right you guys?

Pokémon Go to the polls

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I’m also getting the Pikachu version, and my girlfriend’s getting the Eevee version, and we’ve basically slotted our this whole weekend for Pokémon.

Is this actually going to be part of the main series of games? I know it ties into the mobile game a bit so I was hoping it wasnt gunna be part of the core titles. Is pokemon bank usable with it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this actually going to be part of the main series of games? I know it ties into the mobile game a bit so I was hoping it wasnt gunna be part of the core titles. Is pokemon bank usable with it?

Let's Go is not considered a mainline title, and only connects to Pokemon Go. They've said there will be a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch next year, and some way to transfer your pokemon from 3DS games to it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

precision posted:

That's awesome

Also James was gay

You don't say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJDyRZ0c7yQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

I don’t know, I don’t even know if Pokemon Bank is available on Switch. And as far as I can tell it’s only the original 151, plus Alolan variants, plus Meltan/Melmetal, the new legendaries.