Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I wanna see a release of the OT on Blu-ray that places all 10+ different versions on the same disc via seamless branching and randomly picks a different one to play each time you put in the disc. That'll gently caress with Star Wars nerds real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

I wanna see a release of the OT on Blu-ray that places all 10+ different versions on the same disc via seamless branching and randomly picks a different one to play each time you put in the disc. That'll gently caress with Star Wars nerds real good.

:yeshaha:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I really wouldn't mind them pulling a Blade Runner and putting all of the major cuts (pre-97, 97, 2004, 2011) in one big box set. Half the reason to preserve the originals is historical importance, and that argument still basically applies for any of the pre-2011 versions at this point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if seamless brancing exists in the VOD world, or if they just store however many versions needed as it's negligible to do so.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I wonder if seamless brancing exists in the VOD world, or if they just store however many versions needed as it's negligible to do so.

The latter, with each cut as a different digital SKU. The number of titles for which branching would be desirable is not worth the developer resources needed to implement it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see the various reactions to a release of the real original OT, with the huge matte lines and the vaseline under the scooters and all that. Yea 30 and 40 something nerds would be fine with that but there are just as many who have no desire for any of that stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

xarph posted:

The latter, with each cut as a different digital SKU. The number of titles for which branching would be desirable is not worth the developer resources needed to implement it.

Blade Runner obsessives gonna be out of a whole load of cash!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've felt it's a bit absurd how the OT has had such a slapdash video history compared to other franchises.

Fox's Alien Blu-ray set is a thing of beauty. All four films with reference quality remasters, multiple audio options, commentaries, branched cuts, and every possible archival supplement included.

Meanwhile, even the 9-disc Star Wars set omits obvious stuff like trailers or even the feature-length making-of on the DVD. Didn't even include From Star Wars to Jedi. It's just ridiculous because it's not like there's budgetary limits. And then you see labels like Indicator, Arrow, and Scream Factory doing stuff like four cuts of a semi-obscure horror movie with ten hours of extras.

It's not even like a restoration of the original cuts would be a huge problem. Criterion was able to justify a 2K restoration of loving Heaven's Gate from 35mm color separations.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 14, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

but there are just as many who have no desire for any of that stuff.

Those people can gently caress off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I am starting to wonder at which point the Star Wars well becomes poisoned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Get yourself the Star Wars Silver Screen edition which keeps all the 70s color timings and poo poo. Looks great.

Image is a little soft sometimes but it's a small price to pay.

I grew up with the THX "Faces" VHS release and the Special Editions not long after, so I've never had a huge issue with Lucas's changes to the OT (aside from the awful blu-ray release stuff like Obi-Wan's yell), but earlier this year I shelled out $90 for the blu-ray editions of Harmy's Despecialized. They're a great set and they come bundled with just about every Star Wars documentary imaginable, including a bunch of contemporary docs and tv specials that are fascinating snapshots of the fandom before it became an embarrassing toxic mess. I highly recommend them. I'd link the store I bought them from, but I'm not sure if they technically count as :filez:.You can find them with a cursory google search.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Iron Crowned posted:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I grew up with the THX "Faces" VHS release and the Special Editions not long after, so I've never had a huge issue with Lucas's changes to the OT (aside from the awful blu-ray release stuff like Obi-Wan's yell), but earlier this year I shelled out $90 for the blu-ray editions of Harmy's Despecialized. They're a great set and they come bundled with just about every Star Wars documentary imaginable, including a bunch of contemporary docs and tv specials that are fascinating snapshots of the fandom before it became an embarrassing toxic mess. I highly recommend them. I'd link the store I bought them from, but I'm not sure if they technically count as :filez:.You can find them with a cursory google search.

It's kind of shameful that the official releases of a major franchise owned now by two different (or one different, I guess?) media conglomerates are totally out classed by a bunch of bootlegs.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Okay, what do you think is more believable?

That Disney would release the Unaltered Trilogy as part of the 'Complete Saga' release post-Ep 9, including both Rouge One and Solo. With them breaking up the set on a yearly basis, so the following year would be the 'budget' release of just the numbered episodes, then the trilogies in their own distinct packaging, then each of the movies piecemeal.

-Or-

That Disney would instead release each episode on a yearly (or bi-yearly) basis in a ridiculously lavish box set. The unaltered trilogy, the theatrical Special Editions, 2000's DVD and Bluray alterations as branching paths. With pretty much every special feature and every supplemental additions they can conceivably add over a number of discs. Pretty much each movie being the equivalent to the LotR Extended Edition box set. Maybe even a couple feelies to keep the value up. This would command a premium price, pretty much the equivalent of purchasing either of the trilogy sets now. Barebones releases wouldn't come out until well after, likely in time for a new series of Star Wars films.

Also, I can't imagine Disney doing anything but a theatrical release of the unaltered trilogy first. With the right kind of a marketing blitz, I can't help but imagine Disney making even the most apathetic members of the public excited about a 'new' Star Wars even ("available for the first time in over 20 years"). It could act as a yearly stop gap for whatever is happening after Episode 9 and whatever comes afterwards.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

We're waaaay past that point.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could you email me where to get those blu Rays? disneyquesting @ iCloud

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They're on eBay. One seller is even using Criterion cases.

Star Wars '77 alone has over 20 audio tracks with various sound mixes, dubs, commentaries, and isolated tracks. :psyduck:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh my Christ give them to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you don't need them to be on actual discs, just google them and download them for free. I'm gonna guess the people selling them are just assholes profiting off other peoples work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

According to the site they say you have to have the Blu Ray copies to buy this one, whatever that means. Could be a legal thing or they could be like “gimme pics bitch” which hopefully you have a friend handy who owns those wretched things.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CelticPredator posted:

According to the site they say you have to have the Blu Ray copies to buy this one, whatever that means. Could be a legal thing or they could be like “gimme pics bitch” which hopefully you have a friend handy who owns those wretched things.

I mean it’s still illegal because it’s the distribution that is the problem, not whether or not the recipient legally owns a copy.

Having looked around at the community itself, I can tell you that it’s just an ethical standard of the community with no otherwise legal basis.

Of course an individual trafficking in these things could actually ask and refuse to sell if you couldn’t provide proof of purchase... But that doesn’t make it any less illegal for them to distribute them even if they literally were present to watch you purchase the legal Blu-rays.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Okay, what do you think is more believable?

That Disney would release the Unaltered Trilogy as part of the 'Complete Saga' release post-Ep 9, including both Rouge One and Solo. With them breaking up the set on a yearly basis, so the following year would be the 'budget' release of just the numbered episodes, then the trilogies in their own distinct packaging, then each of the movies piecemeal.

-Or-

That Disney would instead release each episode on a yearly (or bi-yearly) basis in a ridiculously lavish box set. The unaltered trilogy, the theatrical Special Editions, 2000's DVD and Bluray alterations as branching paths. With pretty much every special feature and every supplemental additions they can conceivably add over a number of discs. Pretty much each movie being the equivalent to the LotR Extended Edition box set. Maybe even a couple feelies to keep the value up. This would command a premium price, pretty much the equivalent of purchasing either of the trilogy sets now. Barebones releases wouldn't come out until well after, likely in time for a new series of Star Wars films.

Also, I can't imagine Disney doing anything but a theatrical release of the unaltered trilogy first. With the right kind of a marketing blitz, I can't help but imagine Disney making even the most apathetic members of the public excited about a 'new' Star Wars even ("available for the first time in over 20 years"). It could act as a yearly stop gap for whatever is happening after Episode 9 and whatever comes afterwards.

Kathleen Kennedy is on record as saying that they aren't doing anything with the unaltered original trilogy, it's the Special Editions or nothing. The 4K remaster of the first movie that Gareth Edwards saw at ILM when he was making Rogue One has been confirmed to be the Special Edition.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Timby posted:

Kathleen Kennedy is on record as saying that they aren't doing anything with the unaltered original trilogy, it's the Special Editions or nothing. The 4K remaster of the first movie that Gareth Edwards saw at ILM when he was making Rogue One has been confirmed to be the Special Edition.

I couldn't find any source where she says that definitively. There's a really bad interview where she's asked a really bad question that could be interpreted as "will you make any future changes to the films." It's really ambiguous.

That being said, I'm not going to be surprised either way. But given that there's a large fan-base that would want this, and given that Disney will own Star Wars completely, I could see it happening if they think there's enough money to be made. After all, we got the laserdisc rips released on DVD 14 years ago. It's not unprecedented.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cemetry Gator posted:

I couldn't find any source where she says that definitively. There's a really bad interview where she's asked a really bad question that could be interpreted as "will you make any future changes to the films." It's really ambiguous.

That being said, I'm not going to be surprised either way. But given that there's a large fan-base that would want this, and given that Disney will own Star Wars completely, I could see it happening if they think there's enough money to be made. After all, we got the laserdisc rips released on DVD 14 years ago. It's not unprecedented.

I don't know they wouldn't though. It's perhaps the single most wanted product in the last 20 years, not only would it sell like gangbusters, but it would definitely put a lot of good will out there to anyone like me who has totally soured on Star Wars but still has a fondness for the originals.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't know they wouldn't though. It's perhaps the single most wanted product in the last 20 years, not only would it sell like gangbusters, but it would definitely put a lot of good will out there to anyone like me who has totally soured on Star Wars but still has a fondness for the originals.

I wonder if they worry at all about relying too much on the good feelings that people have for the OT. I mean, they've shown no signs so far that they worry about that, but maybe it's something that they at least think about and consider a potential risk. Like, maybe if you get people too focused on a huge new OT release their attention is diverted and that year's theatrical release will under-perform? Like they have this idea of how much nostalgia they want to give us so that it will contribute to interest in the new movies instead of taking away from it, and a big attention grabbing OT set would be too much.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Timby posted:

The 4K remaster of the first movie that Gareth Edwards saw at ILM when he was making Rogue One has been confirmed to be the Special Edition.

I assume after seeing the CGI Jabba scene in 4K he said "forget it, this franchise deserves to die"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

The confusion arose because the fan-made Despecialized Editions were floating around amongst some of the production folks. The wires got crossed leading to the rumors.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Rambo movies look drat good on UHD, and they're pretty cheap even before Black Friday. Highly recommended for anyone who saw those movies like once a week when they were on t.v. constantly in the 90s.

As usual though, and I've come to expect this from the format, there are a few select scenes where the refusal to use DNR results in some overly noticeable grain. But it's so, so worth it for the 99% of the movie that's so natural and filmic, and yet with all the definition and detail that was missing from previous releases.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Crystal clear film grain gets me hard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

Crystal clear film grain gets me hard.

:same:

Film should have grain, it just looks wrong without it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Agreed. When I refer to "noticeable" grain though, I mean uneven grain that dances around too much and becomes a bit distracting. It happens during the opening credits of First Blood but then almost immediately resolves into really nice even grain for the rest of the movie. Rambo II had even less issues there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

Again I think you're overestimating the true demand for this as well as underestimating how many units the previous blu-rays and DVDs have probably sold. I doubt very much they're hurting for sales of Star Wars video releases.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The original Star Wars trilogy would (will) sell like gangbusters because Disney will tell the public that they need to have the original trilogy in their collection.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 15, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I am so loving tired of giving a poo poo about Star Wars

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Iron Crowned posted:

What I really dislike is when it's inconsistent and varies from shot to shot. That's when it becomes distracting.

The worst is that bright white grain in a dark scene. The part in Blade Runner where Deckard is inspecting that photograph is supposed to look like a darkened room but the screen is just lit up with grain.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

TheScott2K posted:

I’m just so tired of all these Star Wars.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Titular Line Guy posted:

I’m just so tired of all these Star Wars.

Still the best sketch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TheScott2K posted:

Here's a helpful tip: Don't.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I’m surprised nobody’s brought up 4K77 (or, for that matter, 4K83) yet.

The only caveat is that there’s slightly less detail due to them scanning a theatrical print instead of the negatives, but otherwise, there’s your 4k unaltered Star Wars.

edit: Also, a few of the docs mentioned earlier (From Star Wars to Jedi and the infamous Ep. 1 doc The Beginning, for starters) are up on the official Star Wars YouTube channel

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thanks to all the discussion of all the different versions of the OT in here, I finally checked out 4K77. I've been a diehard fan of Harmy's Despecialized editions for a few years now, but I've been hearing buzz about 4K77 for a while.

I did a bunch of back to back comparisons between the latest version (2.7) of the Despecialized A New Hope and 4K77. 4K77 is undeniably sharper. I think I like the color grading of the Despecialized version more, but the picture seems kinda muddy in comparison to 4K77. I think 4K77 is the definitive way I'll be watching one of my all-time favorite movies from now on.

I absolutely love restorations like this. For a while I was watching my "faces" VHS collection and appreciating that I had that available to me, then I switched over to the Despecialized editions a few years ago and was blown away and appreciated that I had that available to me, and now 4K77 comes along and blows me away again.

It's like the recent Beatles albums that have been remixed by Giles Martin. I've been listening to the original versions of those albums literally since my first few years on this Earth, but those songs have never sounded better to me than they do now that these versions of them are available.

I appreciate the efforts of people like Giles Martin and Harmy and Team Negative so loving much because these things have been near and dear to my heart for as long as I can remember and somehow those folks are able to keep making decades-old material sound and look better and better all the time. It's like magic.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 15, 2018