Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot it came broken up like that originally. Man yeah I could see how you could burn out on a map pretty fast.

Edit: 2 isn't episodic right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This brings me back to one of my favorite things about this game - it's so open and happy to give you choices. The briefcase is broken? Then don't bring it. Level's too hard or too easy? Difficulty levels. Levels are giant puzzles where you're encouraged to approach things in many different ways, with almost no restrictions.

This extends to the UI, too - you can turn off opportunities, hints, the HUD, etc. You can turn it on. I love that the game just says to you "I trust you. Make this the best game you want it to be."

...mind you, this makes the scoring system stand out more as a frustrating judge (it's still so silent assassin focused!) and things like the single exit in Colorado, but - for the most part, this is a very open game and that makes me very happy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Maybe it's just the fall leaves but I keep thinking of Haddonfield from the Halloween movies when I see the preview pic, and now I'm really wanting to get a suitable disguise to do a kill everybody run. But what to wear... clown

There's a fun outfit inside the level that works great as a serial killer outfit, imo!

mods changed my name posted:

Oh yeah I forgot it came broken up like that originally. Man yeah I could see how you could burn out on a map pretty fast.

2 is not episodic. It's a complete game. There are two bonus DLC maps coming up, but buying Hitman 2 gets you a full set of maps that are out and you can play them today, right now.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Ok excellent, thank you for answering my lazy and easily Googleable question :)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Right, 2 has 5 full maps out the gate, one new smaller tutorial map, and one sort of minigame "Sniper Assassin" map. They're still going to be adding new escalations and elusive targets over time available to all players, though, plus there's a "season pass" that promises 2 more brand new locations and some unknown number of new missions occurring on existing maps (which could end up playing very differently than the original missions if the alternate ones from Hitman 2016 are any clue)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Cojawfee posted:

To be honest, I have no idea what the story is. Something about a shadow broker and two secret groups fighting each other. Blah blah, who cares. The fun part of this game is replaying the levels over and over again to find new ways to kill people.

:same:

I like that I hear the same corporation names around and about but that's about it. This toybox comes with a ton of toys.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I like that they included Sniper Assassin, I'm enjoying after playing a bunch just doing a single sniper game before quitting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

elf help book posted:

I like that they included Sniper Assassin, I'm enjoying after playing a bunch just doing a single sniper game before quitting.

I thought it was dumb the first time I tried it but then I realized how many cool interactions and chain reactions there are in it, and it's awesome they managed to capture that Hitman Feel by just sticking you in a single post with a sniper rifle

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You know what I miss? I actually miss Ave Maria as the de facto "theme song" of the series. I don't recall hearing it since Blood Money but I could be mistaken.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

:same:

I like that I hear the same corporation names around and about but that's about it. This toybox comes with a ton of toys.

This is where I've been pleasantly surprised! The plot morphed from "illuminati vs shadow client" to "gently caress da police" over the course of 2 and y'know what, I adore 47 as an "Eat the Rich" type of guy. Feels good to see a game take a political stance, especially in this political climate.

King Vidiot posted:

You know what I miss? I actually miss Ave Maria as the de facto "theme song" of the series. I don't recall hearing it since Blood Money but I could be mistaken.

Play Hitman Go, it's brought back there!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

there's a perfectly good balcony right there and she pukes in the loving fireplace

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

You need to spend some more time on the Isle Of Svgali my friend. it even gets called out by name when 47 requests someone plays it

edit: also there was a sniper rifle in hitman 2016 that played it when you looked down the scope but it's not there anymore in hitman 2

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 15, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I must say I wish the AI behaved slightly more realistically when poo poo's hitting the fan. Janus literally gets blown up in his backyard and 15 minutes later his guards are still patrolling around and talking about him as if he was still alive.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Top points for me so far:

Miami: While waiting for the target as the mascot, the guard who is obviously a furry who tries to make small talk about the suit.

Vermont: The nurse opportunity where for once they get suspicious of you and they don't just wave you in to a perfect assassination closed room.

Sgail: The NPC conversation talking about the incident at a red carpet Paris event where 70 people all walked into the same electrified puddle.

Overall really enjoying it. I dunno that any map is quite as perfect as Sapienza, but there are no duds like Bangkok and Colorado were. Even the tutorial level at the beach house felt really polished and cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

^^^ that vermont thing totally caught me off guard lol. it's an insanely good twist

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Is there like a way to make the race in the miami level longer or something? I know there's hits you can do while she's racing and it seems almost impossible to do them

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

KungFu Grip posted:

Is there like a way to make the race in the miami level longer or something? I know there's hits you can do while she's racing and it seems almost impossible to do them

No. You've got like 10 or 15 minutes, figure out in advance how you want to do them, go directly to it, and it's not too hard.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

elf help book posted:

No. You've got like 10 or 15 minutes, figure out in advance how you want to do them, go directly to it, and it's not too hard.

alright well i learned throwing an explosive onto the track doesn't seem to work so now i'm disappointed i can't just do that quickly.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

alright well i learned throwing an explosive onto the track doesn't seem to work so now i'm disappointed i can't just do that quickly.

It works for sure it's just really hard to aim/time. I had my best quick assassination luck sniping her through her car window-- also the race naturally ends at exactly 21 minutes after starting the map, unless you do certain things that trigger it to end sooner

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Yeah I saw the challenge 'cause enough accidents so the race cannot continue.' Cue me dumping clips from a sniper rifle into all the cars not 1st/2nd place and throwing down explosives onto the road and none of it having any impact.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Yeah I saw the challenge 'cause enough accidents so the race cannot continue.' Cue me dumping clips from a sniper rifle into all the cars not 1st/2nd place and throwing down explosives onto the road and none of it having any impact.

I didn't try it with the loadout explosives but you can definitely throw a bunch of propane tanks and fire extinguishers onto the track for the effect you're looking for

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Xanderkish posted:

Specifically, "47, that man you just eliminated was the Maelstrom."

You'd think I'd get a little bit of surprise for that. But maybe I should be surprised that Diana's not surprised about me killing random people who may or may not be the target. Just "Oh hey, good job, chum, by the way, you actually did the thing we're paying you for, just fyi."

WTF is this? I was just walking around the level and some guy noticed me committing a crime, so he obviously has to go too. Then Diana is all "You did the thing, congrats." You'd think they'd make it a bit harder to find him.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

WTF is this? I was just walking around the level and some guy noticed me committing a crime, so he obviously has to go too. Then Diana is all "You did the thing, congrats." You'd think they'd make it a bit harder to find him.

His identity is randomized every time so I think you got pretty lucky. There are a few different ways to ID him that i've seen so far tho

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can 100% take out the cars with thrown explosives and all forms of gunfire (yes, even pistol rounds), but the cars move fast (because, y'know, they're race cars) and are kind of far away from you in most vantage points with a view of the track, so you need to time detonations to take into account the lag before the explosive actually blows in order to clip cars and cause them to crash, or lead with bullets (sniper rifles don't need to lead too much, but you can still miss if you're not leading a little).

Try shooting the cars on the approach and aim for the bottom of the front of the car. They'll usually drive right into the sniper round and crash out.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Good to know, I have only a few challenges left. Mainly finding Cowboy hat racer guy and becoming him.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
this game keeps crashing on the cutscenes for me :(

edit; now it's crashing on launch

dc3k fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 15, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Well, I finished Sapienza for the first time and yeah I can definitely see myself spending some time on this game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Well, I finished Sapienza for the first time and yeah I can definitely see myself spending some time on this game.

Honestly I haven't spent as much time with it as I did Hitman 2016 but i'm willing to say based on my experience so far that every Hitman 2 level is as good as Sapienza or better. They're definitely going in a good direction with the series and know what works and what doesn't

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah another question. Some of the challenges are like "kill a target by pushing them down the well." If the target isn't specified does that mean I can accomplish it in another game mode like escalation or contracts?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Oh yeah another question. Some of the challenges are like "kill a target by pushing them down the well." If the target isn't specified does that mean I can accomplish it in another game mode like escalation or contracts?

Yes if the challenge doesn't specify a named character. Some challenges are only possible through contract mode (and you'll often find searching the challenge name will bring up ones with appropriate targets)

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Cool, thanks!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blasmeister posted:

Yes if the challenge doesn't specify a named character. Some challenges are only possible through contract mode (and you'll often find searching the challenge name will bring up ones with appropriate targets)

I kinda hate this sorta stuff. They make challenges that can only be done via contracts, but most contracts are either way too easy (because they're designed for that challenge) or way too hard (because they're not). There's not much leeway.

Thinking of stuff like the ninja/motorcyclist challenges for Hokkaido. Couldn't be done in the main story mission, any contracts designed for it are just killing like the 5 nearest easy to isolate guys in the morgue, any contracts not designed for it meant trekking through areas extremely difficult to get through as a ninja/motorcyclist.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bakanogami posted:

I kinda hate this sorta stuff. They make challenges that can only be done via contracts, but most contracts are either way too easy (because they're designed for that challenge) or way too hard (because they're not). There's not much leeway.

Thinking of stuff like the ninja/motorcyclist challenges for Hokkaido. Couldn't be done in the main story mission, any contracts designed for it are just killing like the 5 nearest easy to isolate guys in the morgue, any contracts not designed for it meant trekking through areas extremely difficult to get through as a ninja/motorcyclist.

From what I've seen so far from Hitman 2 (miami/colombia) there's none of that sort of challenge, so they might well be aware of this.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There are a few in Sgail, but actually doing them is fun as poo poo, so I'm down.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I like the idea that you can possibly kill at least 5 different people with the robot in the miami level with the pictures you find laying around. How you get them up into that room, i got no idea

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

StrixNebulosa posted:

This brings me back to one of my favorite things about this game - it's so open and happy to give you choices. The briefcase is broken? Then don't bring it. Level's too hard or too easy? Difficulty levels. Levels are giant puzzles where you're encouraged to approach things in many different ways, with almost no restrictions.

This extends to the UI, too - you can turn off opportunities, hints, the HUD, etc. You can turn it on. I love that the game just says to you "I trust you. Make this the best game you want it to be."

I think it mostly works because there are achievements for every possible playstyle and many activities. And achievements are main focus of the game, because simply completing missions is more or less trvial, especially if you turn on help.

In an RPG or a strategy game broken balance may kill the game. People sometimes say something like "if that spell/tactic/unit is broken then just don't use it" but it doesn't work if your goal in the game is just to murder a final boss, the game won't even acknowledge your self-imposed challenge. There are exceptions to that like Fable 1 where you could take special challenges for mission or Pillars of Eternity 2 where you can turn on special challenges. But here in Hitman it's all about challenges and curious situations: you have your clean murder through story, you have death from accidents that doesn't rise suspsicions, you have invisible suit only silent assassin, you have sniper challenge, you have all kinds of death by irony, you have wrecking chaos and murdering targets with the trap in their panic room/escape vehicle, you have posing as victim's unfamiliar acquaintance... Every single approach will have unique challenges and reactions, and then it's all amplified by higher difficulties, escalation contracts and so on. Every level is a hundred puzzles and it's great.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

dc3k posted:

this game keeps crashing on the cutscenes for me :(

edit; now it's crashing on launch

I had crashes on launch due to enabled RivaTuner software. I use it to limit FPS to 60 but they say that Nvidia panel Vsync=Fast does more or less the same so I'm using that.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Rookoo posted:

Did anyone ever manage that Tuppence A Wish challenge in bangkok? I think you need to bounce the coins off the fountain mirror, but I can't get a definitive answer if it requires 13 coins or just for the coins to hit the rocks inside the fountain.
I know someone answered this but there's tons of misinformation about it because they patched it at some point.

As far as anyone can tell it unlocks with the rock bounces *or* 13 coins. So you get people reporting they unlocked it at X coins and people reporting it took all 13.

And if they tried it before the patches they reported it drove them to despair.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 15, 2018

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

I like the idea that you can possibly kill at least 5 different people with the robot in the miami level with the pictures you find laying around. How you get them up into that room, i got no idea

Doing a run where I kill half the map just so I can drag the unconscious bodies of the mascot and hot dog vendor to the robot unimpeded is high on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Correct me if I'm wrong but do your challenge completions from 1 not carry over into the legacy levels?