Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:allears:

Edit: oh crap, page 750. FLASHBACK POST

Arc 1

page 25: you had just met the gang leaders in the Deeps

Arc 2

page 50: quint and tanya had just been introduced
page 75: meeting kozilek for the first time
page 100: knitting circle with sincera
page 125: the olympus

Arc 3

page 150: amacita’s wedding planning
page 175: talking to dwarf about factions
page 200: talking with eldar
page 225: fusion bomb incident
page 250: saving limosa
page 275: deathskull orks

Vacation Arc

page 300: tugboat
page 325: talking with cryonic lady
page 350: the manor on agatha’s world

Arc 5

page 375: meeting the motherfucking emperor
page 400: titan. 16,000 posts, we’re a real thread!
page 425: mars, space grandpa
page 450: luna and amacita
page 475: pilgrimage and shrine-cities
page 500: high lords
page 525: FABIYAN. and anna
page 550: marsfed citizenship!
Page 575: huron and the button

Interregnum Arc

Page 600: interregnum. day one
Page 625: sebekh’s time travel episode
Page 650: blowing up the earth
Page 675: conspiring at Titan
page 700: introducing omega to loki
Page 725: anna’s coup
Page 750: oneoh’s introduction
Page 775: aboard oneoh’s flagship

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Not confirmed totally yet but im pretty sure Huron is actually Fabyian from another time loop, turned to chaos to stop Ohone from becoming Anna. There were a lot of looping plots going on but we flipped that table and are palying a new game now so ???

Im hoping basically to reset everything at the end so the galaxy isnt a big mess of bargaining souls in the post creation war aftermath. To that end it only matters that one vision get to "The End" with the power, tools and vision to fix it all.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

Oh Wow.

There is so much I've forgotten about this story over the years.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

As far as I'm concerned, all this anti-Fabiyan talk is the real heresy.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Butt Discussin posted:

As far as I'm concerned, all this anti-Fabiyan talk is the real heresy.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Loel posted:

And what a road it's been. Here's to the next 750 pages!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Esper posted:

Are we sure Fabiyan won't identify with Oneoh's endgame more than Ohone's? I mean, he's the Eidoleon of Devotion, but to what, exactly? Us or Humanity?

Holy poo poo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Esper posted:

Are we sure Fabiyan won't identify with Oneoh's endgame more than Ohone's? I mean, he's the Eidoleon of Devotion, but to what, exactly? Us or Humanity?

yooooooooo don't ruin the big twist!!!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Fabian is gonna pull the trigger on us but Anna makes it do absolutely nothing.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Blasphemaster posted:

Fabian is gonna pull the trigger on us but Anna makes it do absolutely nothing.

Yes, so lets just head off the sad betrayal and expensive execution and just use him as the nuke he always was meant to be and blow up Acheron.

Its not like we cant just bend time and get a new Fabs from before we modded him.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

Its not like we cant just bend time and get a new Fabs from before we modded him.

I think we finally found the original 'Anna'.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Man, it took forever to find the right music. Todays music is Iron Maiden.

12,851 of 25,000.

Number of the Beast

The ship before you was huge, monstrous. Easily the size of a small moon, your eyes slid off the edges of it, trying to take it all in. You yourself had orbitals in your fleet - Luna and Titan - but those had been carved out of the living rock. This monstrosity appeared to be cast in iron out of nothing, designed from the very beginning with one purpose.

Hundreds - thousands - of ships were flying around it like so many flies, even as your sensors noted that they were the size of the original Beast. At this range you couldn’t identify individual shuttles or fighters, but you were sure they numbered in the tens of thousands.

Even worse, the sensors were repeating similar readings across the sky. None so big as this moon, perhaps, but many that were of similar kind, all with the hungering swarms about them. Given the methods you knew of Mars, it would take decades, even centuries to build anything close to this, and your industry had far outstripped the old Hegemon.

You had the uneasy feeling of seeing someone else the way others saw you.

Your voice was a murmur. “Hera, can we get any information on capabilities? Weapon systems, fleet speed, things like that.”

She nodded soberly. “This is Mars Federation tech, absolutely. Some of it the older style, before they knew what they were doing, but some of it has the lessons of the Last War. Biggest thing to note is the temporal weapons.”
You pursed your lips. “That … does not sound encouraging.”
“Yeah. Remember when I said Minds could jump back in time a few seconds, dodge attacks? Same principle.”
“What would I be seeing here?”
“Picture torpedoes that impact you before you’ve done your missile intercepts. You thought you fired them, but surprise the torpedo hit you before you reached for the control. And, extra fun, they now know your defense patterns.”

“Definitely not encouraging. How far back can they go?”
She shrugged. “I mean … the math is easy enough. And a temporal engine on a warhead going back a few seconds, that’s not too bad. It’s diminishing returns though, after a while you need a cruiser sized engine to flip sixty seconds. That could be impact before you even call the red alert.”
You considered the size of the moon before you. “So it might have those.”
“I’m not seeing any energies that suggest that scale, but it’s possible. They might have them in cold storage, the way Navy ships due with warheads between battles.”

“Did these kind of things get used in the Last War?”
“We had hard strictures not to go back more than, mm, two minutes. Athena had the unlock key for those, and she went missing, or Loki took her place, or … whatever.” She grimaced. “If Loki has the keys now, and has been helping this Oneoh and not you, you’re in for some trouble.”

You considered the real Athena, waiting patiently in dead Hades, and said nothing.

You continued as if the thought had never occured to you. “Could Loki build those temporal weapons without those keys?”
“I … I’m not sure. Depends on how hard and well the old Mars Fed locked that part of her up.”
“Mm.” You gestured. “What are those?”

She highlighted the screen, zoomed in. “Ah … the more conventional weapon system. Omniturrets.”
“I have no idea what that even means.”
“You know how some infantry units have modular rifles? Change the barrel, change the capabilities.”
“Sure. Expensive though.”
“Yeah. These are the Naval versions. They can cycle though a lot more options, and a lot faster.”
“Like … having a hundred servitors remove the barrel and add another one? That’s probably a couple hours.” You considered your recent actions on the Beast. “Maybe one.”
“Like changes on the molecular level. Couple minutes.”
“This gets better and better. I’m guessing it’s not torpedoes or autocannons.”
“Those, as well as the railguns you are familiar with. Grasers, those radiation weapons you saw during the Magos war.”
You nodded. “Okay. Not too bad.”
“Or…” She smiled humorlessly. “Point singularity inductors, phased antimatter particle beams, and gridfire.”

“Lovely. So it’s like fighting my battlesuit the Eschatologist, except its the size of a moon.”
“That’s the right ballpark yeah.”
You tapped your fingers. “We’ve got a lot to learn, and replicate, and not a lot of time to do it in. I’m not sure how long her nativity is going to hold if I start mass producing her antimatter guns.”

-

An image of Ohone, a hundred meters high. Around her, a dozen Magi of tremendous skill and drive, floating across a sea of stars.

Oneoh dismissed the image. “So, what we do we think?”
The words travelled thousands of lightyears in a moment, transmitting across the most secure lines the Technocracy could devise. None of the ruling members of the Technocracy would meet in person, anymore. Too risky to the goal, and too risky to each other. It wasn’t that long ago that Oneoh had been enacting Sebekh’s purge.

The survivors were a practical sort, and sane enough. As such things went.

Galpurnia spoke first, wrapped in battle stations a parsec across. She hadn’t left her system since the purges, and instead spent all her vast resources fortifying. It was probably one of the top ten most secure places in the galaxy, mentioned in the same breath as Terra, Cadia, or Golgotha.

She hadn’t been one to miss those systems were gone, now. And kept fortifying.

“It’s a foolhardy quest, Oneoh. Starting a war with the last holdout in the galaxy, one that’s held for ten thousand years. And not only that, bringing in your lesser sister on board, the one who broke everything she’s touched so far.” She shook her head. “It’s both unnecessary and has unpredictable consequences.”

The others ignored her opening. She was one of the greatest minds of her age when it came to predictives, but paranoia was settling in. Oneoh on the one hand, with her purges, Ohone on the other, breaking both Hegemon and the models. It had made her almost indecently cautious.

Kakistos smiled, his worlds a charnel house of horror. “Oh, I don’t think it’s that bad. We have a quite reasonable expectation of consequences - a war unlike any seen in ten thousand years - and there is advances to be made in such a war. Why, my very own research has advanced tenfold, simply in the recent annexations. I think Ohone is a splendid addition to, if not our Consensus, the team at large.”

Haradrius shrugged, his face shifting from moment to moment. “I don’t see her, or this crusade of yours, a useful investment. Ohone has not been noted to be an innovator of Biologis - her instructor Kierra failed her in that, as in so many things - nor do the Jannissaries offer us much utility. They make an excellent breed of Nephilim, I am sure, but our own Macharae outstrip them handly. We would spend years of productivity for what, pretty borders?”

Alastor chuckled. “Pretty borders indeed. The Janissaries are the last holdout against the Technocracy, and they are the only ones who could present a plausible alternative to the universe at large. Once they are gone, it will be only us, for all the remaining years. We know how the Mars Federation fell, and we have made progress on chaining their Minds properly. Yes, let us finish this last cumbersome task.”

Oneoh looked about her. “Two against, two for … and myself as tiebreaker. Consensus achieved. We will complete the operation, and decide what to do with Ohone from there.” Nods at that. Everyone had known how the conversation would go from the beginning, but the formalities must be upheld.

14,185 of 25,000.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Temporal Acheron Void Nanites.

I think i have a way to handle Oneoh.

We have something she doesnt. We have the Empress' person tech and notes and we have void tech. Void tech is our kill vehicle, Empress tech is the way in.

The only advantage Oneoh has is Tech and Time. We trade the Empress tech for her STC. A good faith swap for a shiny toy that will obviously distract her.

We then use the STC and Annas sorecery to produce a nanite that is phased into Acheron, consumes nearby mateirals to copy itself then self destructs into a mini void bomb a few moments in the past using acheronic energy when commanded by Ohone.

We then spread that through a firm handshake.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Arkanomen posted:

The only advantage Oneoh has is Tech and Time. We trade the Empress tech for her STC. A good faith swap for a shiny toy that will obviously distract her.

Don't we have a copy of the STC as well?

Arkanomen posted:

We then spread that through a firm handshake.

So, you want to 'grey goo' Acheron? Is that even possible? I thought that was a realm of energy and chaos, as opposed to matter?

Loel posted:

Oneoh looked about her. “Two against, two for … and myself as tiebreaker. Consensus achieved. We will complete the operation, and decide what to do with Ohone from there.” Nods at that. Everyone had known how the conversation would go from the beginning, but the formalities must be upheld.

So, was the whole 'naive, let's create a better universe' pitch an act? This OneOh doesn't seem malleable at all?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Meh, overly complicated. Just warp troop carriers into the guts of these over engineered monstrosities. Sure we lose troops to the intersective kabooms but we have more and care about them less. Turn a naval engagement into guerrilla warfare on a near planetary scale. We're good at that. Each one we take, we flush its arsenal into the next and move on.

Need good coordination and a dedicated fleet of spotter craft warping in an out to give the transport fleet jump targets.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Soundtrack is XCOM Enemy Unknown

14,185 of 25,000.

Sufficiently Advanced Science

As you approached the vast ship, lines and colors suddenly danced across your vision.

You shook your head angrily to clear it. Still there. Even after a quick diagnostics of your augmented sensors … “Hera. I’m seeing a lot of disruption, EW maybe. What’s going on?”
She glanced over … burst out laughing.

You narrowed your eyes, even if you couldn’t really see her behind the blurs of color. “Not helping.”
She held up her hand, took a recovering breath. “Ahh … now that’s funny.”
“What is it?”
“Remember when you became the only seat on the Mars Federation council?” The colors began being swept away as Hera moved her hand across your vision.
“.... Vaguely? You and Loki had a big fight about it.”
“Right. Well, the position gives you all sorts of data reception if you are in Mars Federation zones.”
“I’ve been near Mars for a couple years now. Never saw this.”
“All the old displays were dead there.”
“Hera, why am I seeing them here?”

She chuckled. “Our friend Oneoh looks to be lifting a lot of the old technology. I bet you she augmented and protected her personal stuff, but for general user … plugs right in. And since you are Council member, you get full access to everything that uses the old technology.” Another laugh. “Most citizens filter what they need, you basically just drank a waterfall.”
“Very helpful.” You frowned as your vision cleared. “Is Oneoh a council member?”
“Weirdly enough, no.” She smiled toothily. “No Minds to sponsor her.”
“Ah, very sneaky. Will the systems know I’m a council member, and tell her?”
Hera made a twisting motion. “Not now. You’re basically incognito now.”

In front of you, empty space held flight markers, areas to follow and areas to avoid. You noted a lot of the no fly zones were weapon firing zones, made mental notes on their distribution. Oneoh’s obsession with protecting ‘citizen’ life was remarkably bad at operational security.

The docking bay was otherwise empty, aside from your own shuttle. You grimaced at the bright, sterile feel of the place. Behind your shuttle, the great doors slowly closed, the room flooding with air. A quick glance at the chemical readings … cloyingly perfect, with no impurities that you could pick up at all. It was the kind of air a dying great king would breathe, at the top of his Spire.

You would have liked to think it was a symbolized respect for your rank, but you were virtually certain that was not the case. No, this kind of air would be flooded throughout the ship, air purifiers in every hallway, the smoke from cookfires quickly scrubbed, Dregs given the quality of life they hadn’t earned.

Honestly, why waste that amount of resources on anything outside of an Alpha Deck?

The bay finished pressurizing, and Fabiyan nodded to you. “Ready?”
“I hate this place already. Promise me we can blow it up later.”
“Promise.”
Anna perked up. “I promise too.”

Hera snorted. “I’ll stay here in case of your inevitable get-away. I fully expect to see you running here followed by explosions and an army of horrors.” Her voice became more serious. “I’ve opened up the Council line between you and me. I’m not even sure Loki could break that one, so I’ve got your back there.”

You nodded. “Thank you … I really appreciate that.”

Fabiyan tapped the shuttle ramp mechanism, opened the ship to the outside world. Just as you expected, the cloying air filled the room. Even your Alpha deck wasn’t that ridiculous - it had the smells of age and grease and a thousand people in small quarters. This was just aggravatingly empty.

And, the shuttle bay too, weirdly. You looked out carefully, Anna and Fabiyan exiting carefully. You frowned. “No … honor guard, welcoming committee? Not even an ambush?”
Anna spoke, sotto voice. “It’s quiet … too quiet.”
You looked at her. “Really?”
She shrugged. “You’d be surprised. Lot of Inquisitors can’t resist a line like that. They immediately run in and start monologuing.”
“I bet.”

Fabiyan looked about him. “You know …”
“Hm?”
“This looks like a boarding ceremony. Navy style.”
“Where’s the orchestra?”
“No, not for Family. For sailors.” He nodded. “There it is.”
“What?”

He walked forward to a silver line indistinguishable from any other. “General Fabiyan, requesting permission to come aboard.”
A melodic voice echoed across the speakers in the ceiling. “Granted.”
He looked back at you, held out his palms meaningfully. “Yeah. They are giving us the generic military experience.”
You narrowed your eyes. “Are they trying to insult me.”
“Maybe. Might just be trying to give you the ‘citizen’ experience. You wanted their databanks and such.”
You pursed your lips. “I think I’m going to be insulted.”

Anna smiled. “Sounds good to me.”
You strode forward to the silver line. “Lord-Sire Inquisitor ArchMagi Ohone Konichev demands an audience.”
A longer pause, and then the same voice. “Granted.”

Anna almost looked disappointed, but pushed through it. “Anna. You know me.”
“Granted.”
She smiled back at you. “See? Didn’t even need the titles.”
“That’s why I kept them, I know you didn’t want them.”
“Wow, rude.” She looked about the empty room. “Well, now what?”

The melodic voice spoke. “Please place baggage on the walkway in front of you. Then follow the silver line to the briefing room.”

15,101 of 25,000.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This is so fun, heh. (also plz don't mix grey goo and acheron that sounds like about the worst possible idea in a thread filled with the worst ideas on SA)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Hera flipping to Oneoh worries me a lot more than Fabs, in the short term at least. Love and peace are right up her alley, and it's not like she's ever been thrilled with our management strategies.

Do some sniffing around, quietly, using our Counsel privileges for anything that makes the Technarchy look bad. Human experimentation, Linnaeus protocols, what have you. Make sure Hera knows that, while we may not be the good guys, the other side doesn't exactly smell of roses either.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Soundtrack is Deus Ex HR

15,101 of 25,000.

Briefing Room

The silver line lead to a small opening in the wall, just wide enough for you in your armor. You strode forward, heavy metal boots clomping with each step, and idly ranged what explosives would do to whatever it was on the other side. You were starting to feel like you were being played with, and explosives were generally the best response to that.

Keep em on their toes.

The other side was a wide open hallway. T intersection, left and right and forward. People and mechanical devices were following along lines - blue, red, yellow - and seemed unbothered by your sudden presence. One thing you immediately noticed, almost jerking you back in surprise by the strangeness, was that all of the people were beautiful.

Not the augmented beauty of the ruling class, where gems and cybernetics were the indicator of all things worthwhile (class, standing, and wealth). No, this was the aesthetic beauty of the propaganda films, airbrushed and perfectly symmetrical. No scars, no limping, no old burns, and if any of the people were augmented they were perfectly disguised.

It was a strange and confusing juxtaposition to your heavy armor, Anna’s gaudy clothes and jewelry, and Fabiyan’s simple elegance. For whatever reason, though, they were far less startled by your presence then the reverse, and kept going about their business. You could only imagine that every person had been to Oneoh’s citizens’ courses, and been .. adjusted. Nothing human looked like this.

You briefly considered if Oneoh had been subverted by the Great Enemy - one, in particular, loved this kind of decadence. Amacita had started that way, with her human health and fitness cult. This looked like something along the same track, and you felt a moment of disgust seeing their perfection. There was just something deeply wrong about them.

(Nothing was wrong with Fabiyan’s perfection, of course, specially designed and built by you. He was a perfect man of faith, chosen by the Empress and you for uplifting, and had spent decades in the service of the Hegemon. He deserved such things. These Dregs, however … it repulsed you on a core level, to think of treating people like that so far above their destined class.)

One of them seemed to have noticed your expression, turned. Walked up to you.

“Hi!”
You blinked. He bulled on regardless.
“First time aboard the Empiricist, eh? I felt the same way when I came aboard.” He laughed briefly. “Everything is just so beautiful here, not like back home.” He shuddered. “Man, I choked every day of my life back on the home world. The air pollution, you know. I get here, I’m a whole new person.” He smiled. “Oneoh’s been really great to us.”

You didn’t say anything. Fabiyan, noticing your discomfort, edged his way into the conversation.
“Hey, how’s it going? I’m Yerrick.”
The Dreg blinked in startlement. “Where are my manners. Name’s Valerio. One of the technicians aboard.”
They shook hands. Fabiyan continued. “What kind of technician?”
“Hydraulics. Ship this big, has to get water everywhere.”
Fabiyan nodded. “Big tanks? I bet they are ocean sized.”

Valerio chuckled. “You’d think so! No, it’s all chemical synthesis. Oxygen from the tree farms, hydrogen from hull scoops. We make as much as we need, and the recyclers take it from there.”
“Bet that keeps the quality high.”
“You bet. Best air, water, everything here. Nothing compared to back home.”
“Where you from?”
“Vendade.”
Fabiyan shrugged. “Haven’t heard of it, but I know the type.”
“Right? And you? Where all of you from?”
“I’m from Oceania. These two are voidborn.”

Valerio nodded commiseratingly. “Man, I’ve heard about those ships. Five thousand years of recycled air, stink to all heaven. I bet this is a real treat.”
Anna smiled. “It’s something.”
“Anyway.” He chuckled. “I have to get back to the pipes. You know where you are going?”
Fabiyan spread his hands. “Silver line.”
He nodded. “That’s the one. They’ll hook you up to the augmented reality, do a cleaning for you. Any old scars, leftover viruses, twinged knees. That sort of thing.”
“And then?”
“Well, you look like soldier types. They’ll probably send you to one of the barracks from there.”

15,819 of 25,000.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
This is an insult.

Implant kill viruses and attack/subversion algorithms into every system we pass using our clearance. Begin to rip every deop of data we can and feed it to our nasty Technomages, Omega and Null and the rest to optimize our attack vector for this ship.

Im thinking chemical attack into the atmosphere, reactor Scramming to shut down the weapons and locking Oneoh out of all her systems followed by subversion of all her command structure to our name. We send a breif message to Huron and his consort to remind him he still has an agreement with us and to stand aside.

Well go on Oneohs little tour and when we meet her we pop off our attack and void gun blast her into nothing

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I cannot beleive Oneoh let Ohone on when Ohone has ROOT ACCESS.

If she wasnt so naive I'd think this was a trap.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean, they clearly expect all of that and were resolved just to use our help in whatever plan's going on before doing (X) with/to us. Keep things rolling along and just take it all in for now.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Gwaihir posted:

I mean, they clearly expect all of that and were resolved just to use our help in whatever plan's going on before doing (X) with/to us. Keep things rolling along and just take it all in for now.

Nothing stopping us from implanting control programs invisible to OneOh while we are in Admin Incognito mode?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Council authority probably includes that, yea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Soundtrack: Baldurs Gate 1. Gf is playing it for the first time :3:

15,819 of 25,000.

Dunh da da dunh da da da daaaaaaaah da daaaaah

The silver path lead to an … odd little conference room. Cloth swivel chairs, tables made of fake wood. It oozed cheap camaraderie, and you wondered how many people fell for it. When people in your circles wanted to welcome someone, they used the last wood harvest from a dead world. That shows style and appreciation, but this …

It was a calculated insult.

You remained standing, while Fabiyan sat like a soldier, expressionless, his wings taking up most of the table. Anna, meanwhile, sprawled out on two chairs and put her boots up on the table. You half expected her to break out a cigar, or something more hallucinogenic. To be honest, if you were kept waiting any longer, you would start some fires.

A simple display burst into light on the far wall, an image of Oneoh in all her waifish glory. “Greetings! And congratulations! You are one of the very few who have passed loyalty and personality tests to be brought aboard the finest ship in the Technocracy. In the old days of the Hegemon, your apprenticeship would take months or years. Here, we can update you in a matter of seconds. Please, place your hand on the table in front of you.”

You frowned at it. <Hera, what am I looking at?>
<Nanotech interface. Fairly standard, it will give you the civilian version of what I already got you.>
<Will that interfere with it?>
<Nah. It will … give your program a new coat of paint to viewers, basically.>
<Anything else in it?>
<Almost certainly. I’m over here with the most aggressive defense matrix AI has ever seen, we protect our Counselors more than anyone.>
<... Alrighty. Can I do the reverse?>
<Hack them?>
<Yeah.>
Her voice turned smug. <You’ve got Counselor credentials in stealth mode. You’ll be auditing them so deep you’ll find the things they haven’t even eaten yet.>
<You have such a way with words.> You reached out with your hand, touched the table palm down. Nothing happened.

<Hera?>
She sounded strained for a moment, then paused. <Okay, that’s the last of them. Oneoh built a really nasty little infiltration package. She limited it though, tried to keep it subtle. Tricky bit for me was also pretending I’m not here.>
<So we’re good?>
<Yeah.>

The voice on the screen continued, uninterrupted. “Thank you, welcome guests. Ship schematics of public areas, as well as areas dedicated to your speciality, have been installed. Just think of them like you would try to think of a memory, and they will appear. You can also ask maps to generate in front of you, or leave notes to yourself. And welcome to the Empiricist!”

<Okay. I’m in their systems now right?>
<Correct.>
<I want to collect everything I have access to, that won’t get me noticed.> You had a thought. <Actually. Let me collect everything I can without using Counselor-Stealth, and then we’ll go from there.>
<Sounds good.>

The information flooded into your mind.

-

Huron looked blandly over at Oneoh. “How’d it go?”
She grimaced. “Like throwing a tomato at a brick wall.”
He shrugged. “She’s not going to be one of the locals you can puppet. Trying to stealth your way past her systems, when that’s her number one priority and focus? Not going to happen.”
“I know. It would have been nice to get lucky though.” She made a face. “I was expecting … something. Even a rough sketch of how her defenses worked. I got past the Beast easy enough.”
“Beast is one thing, her personal protection is another.”
“Yeah. It was like kicking a mountain. It didn’t notice and my foot hurts.”
“What’s she doing now?”
“About what we expected. Using the citizen-ID to download everything that is available. Star maps, sociological data, civilian knowledge of weapon systems.”
“So she’s seeing the Machaerae and Erinyes programs.”
“Broadstrokes, yeah. She couldn’t build them. And nothing on the public networks about Athame or Perfecti.”
Huron nodded. “And she hasn’t found her way into those yet, I assume.”
Oneoh shook her head. “They are physically separate from the civilian net. She’d need to physically find one of the terminals to get in.”
He tapped his fingers. “That’ll be her next move, unless we find something to … distract her.”

16,575 of 25,000.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

We already have root, no need to destroy too many of our own resources. If we need to blow stuff up to take command, sure, go for it, but otherwise killing dregs whose lives should be spent on the war is just as wasteful as this decadence.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

16,575 of 25,000.

Some strong dwarven ale

<They notice me?>
<Oh yeah.> Hera’s voice was amused. <Five bell alarm over here.>
<Oh good. I’ve got everything on this tier, correct?>
<Yes. Want me to send it over to our staff?>
<Yes.>
<Done.>
<Good.> You considered. <She’s got seperate networks for her military gear, I assume.>
<Correct.>
<Can I access it?>
<If they are using the old networks, yes.>
You smiled. <Are they?>
<In fact, they are!>

Lights flooded your vision.

quote:

The Machaerae are shock troopers first and foremost, capable of gross spontaneous biological changes intended to make them utterly self-sufficient on the battlefield. A Machaerus could be dropped behind enemy lines with nothing, sourcing materiel he could not generate biologically, and is capable of surviving hard vacuum much in the same manner as a Nephilim. Machaerae can synthesise corrosive and explosive toxins utilising the secretions of various glands, as well as biological plasma generation using gut enzymes. Armour plating can be synthesised from calcium, silicon and carbon, as can various blades and spikes. The Machaerus may also extrude filament-like hairs so fine that they utilise the weak nuclear force for grip and suspension much in the manner of spiders. Muscle mass is variable and modifiable to a degree roughly equivalent to quality powered armour, and a Machaerus can imbibe the flesh of a kill, learning from its genetic memory. Machaerae are larger than baseline humans, possessing an exceptional physique and a super-dense skeleton capable of supporting the much higher stresses their role requires.

quote:

Athamé are shapeshifters possessing many of the same modifications as Machaerae, albeit in a much more "ordinary" human physique. Special muscles and cartilaginous zones allow the imitation of essentially any human physiological configuration and through the conscious manipulation of glands just beneath the skin they can alter the firmness, texture and colour of both skin and hair.

quote:

Perfecti are full nanoconversion cybernetic organisms that operate in Maniples of five with incredible efficiency and remarkable effectiveness in many different roles, from spies and infiltrators to security and full-scale warfare. Physically they are a polyalloy endoskeleton with nanoforge capability allowing self-repair from all but systematic and almost total destruction so long as a single nanoforge node is still operational. A full assistive intelligence, wired reflexes, spontaneous weapon generation, quantum communications, teleport nodes, hyperblade generators and a wide range of sensory and nanoinfiltration options.

quote:

Erinyes are 2.5 to 3 metre tall, winged post-human females possessing a vastly modified genetic template which are then subjected to full nanoconversion with a Seraph Pattern polyalloy frame. They are augmented with quantum electronics, nanoforge and effector capability far in excess of Perfecti. Until a viable breeding pool is achieved, they undergo long, difficult and excruciating chromosomal and retroviral treatments along with an exhaustive, rigorous syllabus of specially formulated exercises both physical and mental that could be likened to prana bindu and other similar mind/body unity practices. Special psitech implants work in tandem with the nanoforge and effector tech to allow for considerable feats of psychokinesis and other psionic disciplines. The same tech enables biochemical and bioelectrical manipulation of the thoughts and bodies of others, and is coupled with pheromones and infrasound to create individuals of immense powers of persuasion and domination. Male Erinyes are rare and presently serve as sires to entire lineages.

This, and so many others, passed through your mind.

<Hera.>
<Yes?>
<I’m not seeing much on naval combat, state level doctrine, grand strategy. Ship to ship, and a lot of the planet doctrine, but nothing above that.>
<They’ve locked it down with newer codes, Oneoh’s work. You’d have to do a hard knock to get it, physical access, same as if she tried to hit your labs.>
<... Alrighty. That’s probably enough for now, send it over to the staff, let’s see if we can replicate any of it.>
<Done and done.>

17,224 of 25,000

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Could we literally pull the rug out from under all her automated universe if Oneoh is using Mars fed tech that will recognize us as the true leader or would we need hera and loki to "oust" her?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Karia posted:

Do some sniffing around, quietly, using our Counsel privileges for anything that makes the Technarchy look bad. Human experimentation, Linnaeus protocols, what have you. Make sure Hera knows that, while we may not be the good guys, the other side doesn't exactly smell of roses either.

What makes you think Hera isn't already snooping around looking for dirt? She is a Mind, after all.

Loel posted:

He nodded. “That’s the one. They’ll hook you up to the augmented reality, do a cleaning for you. Any old scars, leftover viruses, twinged knees. That sort of thing.”

Loel posted:

A simple display burst into light on the far wall, an image of Oneoh in all her waifish glory. “Greetings! And congratulations! You are one of the very few who have passed loyalty and personality tests to be brought aboard the finest ship in the Technocracy. In the old days of the Hegemon, your apprenticeship would take months or years. Here, we can update you in a matter of seconds. Please, place your hand on the table in front of you.”

Hah. Think I finally understand; you know who these guys are? They're Necromongers, from that Riddick sequel.

All of this is just a fancy dog and pony show to make everyone a nanite puppet, 100% loyal and dedicated to the cause.

Each one of these 'Consensus' folks have a gimmick, and hers is some type of 'Purity Eden'.

"Hera, Fabs, Anna, we're all being infiltrated right now by her nanites. The effects will be subtle to the point of being unnoticeable. Do whatever you can to purge the infection, just don't make it obviously."

"Her gambit is solid, and, we have one chance to turn the tables when she finally springs her trap. Let her think she's succeeded, pretend her 'adoration field' is working on us."

"On my word, we turn this entire thing into gray goo."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

She's using Mars Fed for a lot of foundation, but has also branched off and added her own twist to a lot of things.

But yes, you could mess up quite a bit of her low/mid tier systems.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Don't play our hand yet. Wait until we're in position for a full decap strike. I'm figuring right in the middle of a pitched battle with the Jannissaries, it'll be so much funnier!

CourValant posted:

What makes you think Hera isn't already snooping around looking for dirt? She is a Mind, after all.

Hey, even Minds aren't perfectly logical. Sure, she'd find it, but will she decide to treat it as an outlier, or will she fit it into place as part of a larger pattern of behavior? Just wanting to make sure she doesn't look at the Technarchy and see something of the old glory days.

And if our crew isn't watching for nanites they deserve to get taken over. We don't pay them to be careless.

Wait, are we paying Anna? Check to make sure she's not drawing Edourd's payroll, Elenora would throw a fit. Gotta keep a close eye on those expenses.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

. . . Machaerae . . . Athamé . . . Perfecti . . . Erinyes . . .

This alone is enough to purge her and declare her a heretic.

Its a combination of gene-stealing Tyranid cult and Tau BS.

We're gray goo'ing this entire fleet.

Karia posted:

Wait, are we paying Anna? Check to make sure she's not drawing Edourd's payroll, Elenora would throw a fit. Gotta keep a close eye on those expenses.

Yeah, have you any idea how expensive acheronic spell reagents are??! The costs of the candles alone at a good blood orgy will bankrupt most planetary governments.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Stage a very loud, acrimonious Anna over expense reports without proper receipts. There's no way Oneoh will pass up the chance to pick her brains, and you just know that Anna would love to add another level to her double-agent score-card. An inside demon is just what we need right now.

How do you think grey goo will work when it's supercharged by Acheron?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Building up towards a big vote of

A) Work with Oneoh to attack Janissaries
B) Take advantage of her distraction to attack Technocracy space

So begin planning your arguments :D

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OP's right, we have bigger priorities right now.

Let's wreck us some smurfs!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Loel posted:

So begin planning your arguments :D

Porque no los dos?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
How about C: attack janissaries, over the course of the campaign actually come to an accommodation with oneoh, if not outright friendship, and then turn together towards the various acheron fights we have pledged -> then ultimately finishing the real final lingering conflict / big baddie at the start and end of time, Loki.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Gwaihir posted:

How about C: attack janissaries, over the course of the campaign actually come to an accommodation with oneoh, if not outright friendship, and then turn together towards the various acheron fights we have pledged -> then ultimately finishing the real final lingering conflict / big baddie at the start and end of time, Loki.

I like this as a long-term plan.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

As long as it seems possible to simply gain control of the technocracy using root council access, rather than blowing it up, we should work towards that. Also, I think it's important to remain loyal to the Empress, and that means investigating the Janissary beacon astronomican thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think they're lots of fun scenes to be had of the two halves grappling with each other's ways of doing things and thoughts when they're so close with a common starting point, plus down the line it makes for an important co equal addition to DA CREW for the largest possible conflicts we can really have in the universe as built.