Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Hobo Clown posted:

Ran into the Mexican shooting dude a second time and he challenged me to a rematch. As soon as I shot my first bottle he screams "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU" and opens fire at me. I won in the end and maybe that was the challenge all along?

I had a white guy challenge mentioned bottle shooting and he shot the last bottle a moment before I fired, so he obviously registered my poo poo as being hostile and tried to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

I am sure its been said many times here, but I just finished Chapter 6.

I have never really once in my life given two shits about a video game story or its characters at all. It all feels like Shenmu. You want to get into the characters and story sometimes, but just can't because the writing just isnt there, or the character creation in RPGs is so open, you have to make up some BS personal lore story.

I laughed out loud at parts of this game, had moments where I yelled "WTF", was gob smacked by how cruel and unforgiving some self inflicted situations were, and actually welled up and shed some tears at the end of chapter 6. I feel like this game is a better story than what I consider to be the gold standard films. I am just in awe at the perfect balance of player freedom and story telling that it presents. I know things will change after chapter 6, and much of the experience I had in the main story is a singular event that I will never experience like the first time and the whole thing might be just another game in online play.

But mother of god, that is some absolutely phenomenal story telling, and character development. It was so amazingly easy to suspend my disbelief through most of the playthru.

Well said, just finished it myself. Also I'm really happy this thread didn't spoil anything major.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I think songbirds are the first thing in this game that have really made me feel anything negative about it. gently caress songbirds.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Why bother with em? Just for the hat stuff?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kalsco posted:

Why bother with em? Just for the hat stuff?

Trying to study every animal in the game, idiotic full completion nonsense.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Where's the clothes you can get for having max honor?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Where's the clothes you can get for having max honor?
Max honor is only a bump to 50% discounts, thankfully

It's some of the general store/tailor presets (Like the Gambler set in Rhodes). If your honor is too low you should see the red lock/error message "Your honor isn't high enough to buy this!". A real killjoy after your very first 'You get to pick ANYTHING, for FREE!' award.

You unlock some outfits at basic 'good', and the second honor locked outfits somewhere past the 25% discount threshold.

EDIT: Quick copy/paste of the outfits you are allowed to buy.

1st: the Bulldogger, the Chevalier, the Corson, the Cumberland, the Cowpuncher, the McLaughlin, the Roscoe, and the Valentine.
2nd: the Deuville, the Drifter, the Dewberry Creek, the Farrier, the Faulkton, and the Gambler.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 16, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Max honor is only a bump to 50% discounts, thankfully

It's general store presets (Like the Gambler set in Rhodes). If your honor is too low you should see the red lock/error message "Your honor isn't high enough to buy this!". A real killjoy after your very first 'You get to pick ANYTHING, for FREE!' award.

You unlock some outfits at basic 'good', and the second honor locked outfits somewhere past the 25% discount threshold.

Does each store have one?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Does each store have one?
Usually two (I think some might only have one outfit?), one for each rank up of "Now you are nice enough to buy CLOTHES!" Generally presets you won't see anywhere but that store. Like Rhodes having The Chevalier, and The Gambler.

That said? None of the presets you can buy from stores SEEM to have anything you can't put together piece by piece yourself (and even give you all the individual parts to the wardrobe). The main draw aside from fashion hunt, is that you can only make 4 saved custom outfits tops. It's nice to be able to grab a full outfit that caught your eye without having to reassemble it.

Maybe some of them have unique colors?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 16, 2018

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Section Z posted:

Usually two (I think some might only have one outfit?), one for each rank up of "Now you are nice enough to buy CLOTHES!" Generally presets you won't see anywhere but that store. Like Rhodes having The Chevalier, and The Gambler.

That said? None of the presets SEEM to have anything you can't put together piece by piece yourself. The main draw aside from fashion hunt, is that you can only make 4 saved custom outfits tops. It's nice to be able to grab a full outfit that caught your eye without having to reassemble it.

I hit max honor some time within the last few missions in chapter 6. You really get to rack it up there if you are a not a sociopath character. It ding'd an achievement for "extreme personality" which I think will occur if you max or min honor. But always had access to all the outfits because I was always somewhere between 60-80% the whole time.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

CharlestonJew posted:

There's a town near Saint Denis named Lagras, there's a bait shop there that sells the special lures for like $20 each

I'm not sure you can buy those until after you meet with with Ol' Gill.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ICMB posted:

I'm not sure you can buy those until after you meet with with Ol' Gill.

this is true

also idk they might keep you from hitting max honor but i've been hanging out at just one level below that since chapter 2

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Can you rob banks outside of missions?

e: I tried to rob the Valentine bank on my own and the "rob" button is greyed out on the teller and threatening them doesn't do anything.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 16, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hosed up attacking the kkk by only having shotguns when I attacked and only having a few shells. I realized my mistake too late and tried to get back to my horse while under fire but goddamn Mr. Bristles just wanted to run around in circles while I’m trying to call him. I ended up finishing them off with my bow since I couldn’t catch the fucker but drat was that a pain.

Are there horses that don’t turn into useless bitches when there’s a little gunfire?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lexorin posted:

I've found that you need to greet a LOT of people (like 10 to 20 groups of three) to offset one murder.

Murders are like calories.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
last night I beat the poo poo out of a handicapped man then chased an exploding midget through the swamp

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Gay Horney posted:

last night I beat the poo poo out of a handicapped man then chased an exploding midget through the swamp

That chase was FANTASTIC. I chortled thoroughly.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Basic Poster posted:

Camp chores give you non-trivial honor. Also, donating items 1 item at a time to the camp ledger rather than money boosts you. And helping out all the radiant quest things.

Also, any duels where you shoot the pistol out of the opponent works.

donating fish at the camp gives a shitload of honor for some reason. also stealing somebody's salmon is a bigger drop than murder

fish are serious business

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

That chase was FANTASTIC. I chortled thoroughly.

Having there be literal magic and creatures and spookies but played straight and having Morgan just going "well alright then" to it all is definitely one of the things I adore about this game. Like (St Denis hidden side quest spoiler) the vampire just being straight up some Nosferatu lookin bloodsucker. Tres bien!!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
So I was sitting around the campfire listening to a few of the gang talk, and Lenny mentioned how he'd lost his watch and needed a new one. A little pop-up indicated this was an actual fetch quest, and as I had some watches spare I went right over and pressed the button to give it to him. The game went into soft-cutscene mode as Lenny stood up and walked over to take the watch. Through the campfire.

:) Thanks Arthur! :supaburn:AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE AAAAAAA:supaburn:. :) You're a good man to have done this for me! :supaburn:OH GOD AAAAARRRGGHHHH HELP ME AIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE:supaburn:. :) Well, goodnight!

10/10, GOTY, etc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there any resolution to the whole Emerald Ranch rumour mill? So many people mention the daughter and weird poo poo but after creeping around looking at things I can't work out if it's a red herring. Seems weird if it is.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Snowy posted:

Are there horses that don’t turn into useless bitches when there’s a little gunfire?
War horses. The ones labeled as Race horses are super skittish. I'm not sure about Work horses though because I've avoided them since they're all just generally low tier horses.

Mustangs, Turkomans, Hungarians, Ardennes, and Andelusians are of the War variety with the Turkoman being the rarest and "best" but my trusty Mustang "Dog" has been by my side since chapter 2 and he doesn't give a gently caress about dem bullets :clint:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I will say that the "mission" where you tag along with Lenny to the bar is the funniest bit any video game has ever done. Totally got a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas vibe from it the whole time. I also think it can play out in like 3 ways depending on what you do outside.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

I will say that the "mission" where you tag along with Lenny to the bar is the funniest bit any video game has ever done. Totally got a Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas vibe from it the whole time. I also think it can play out in like 3 ways depending on what you do outside.

I've only seen two, what's the third?

You successfully run away, wake up miles away and puke.
You get arrested with Lenny, wake up in the Valentine jail, Lenny posts bail for you both

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I got challenged to a fight last week and when I won I got the guy's coonskin cap. I assumed all the hats in the game were going to come from picking bar fights but I accept every drunk brawler I can and nothing. Not a hat income source.

I'm trying to do the sharpshooter challenge to kill someone at 660 feet. This is difficult because I do not believe there is a way to sight distance, and also, I am shooting with the gun that has the highest range stat, my long scoped springfield, at the distance where they disappear if I walk back any further, and it isn't counting.

If that "range" stat is, like, relative? And the answer is "just use a rolling rock" then i'll be sad.

e: they disappear when I take even one step back from where i'm shooting and it isn't counting. I'm at the o'driscoll base wh ere they spawn forever so I can test this kind of thing.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 16, 2018

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Fool posted:

I've only seen two, what's the third?

You successfully run away, wake up miles away and puke.
You get arrested with Lenny, wake up in the Valentine jail, Lenny posts bail for you both

I had the first thing happen, saw a video with the second but what if you successfully drown the guy in the water trough?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

I got challenged to a fight last week and when I won I got the guy's coonskin cap. I assumed all the hats in the game were going to come from picking bar fights but I accept every drunk brawler I can and nothing. Not a hat income source.

I'm trying to do the sharpshooter challenge to kill someone at 660 feet. This is difficult because I do not believe there is a way to sight distance, and also, I am shooting with the gun that has the highest range stat, my long scoped springfield, at the distance where they disappear if I walk back any further, and it isn't counting.

If that "range" stat is, like, relative? And the answer is "just use a rolling rock" then i'll be sad.

e: they disappear when I take even one step back from where i'm shooting and it isn't counting. I'm at the o'driscoll base wh ere they spawn forever so I can test this kind of thing.
I'm pretty sure it might indeed seem to require you to use one of the Rolling Block style long scope rifles, yeah. That said? The distance feels pretty huge. Waiting for enemies to flee across lakesides and shooting at the vague outline of a man was only getting me 500-550 range.

Weird poo poo like despawing (I had a TRAIN despawn after ignoring a half dozen red crosshair dot explosive ammo shots at the rear door guard), and hanging out on convenient mountain and hilltops refusing to spawn NPCs in the distance, is why I resorted to kidnapping the first guy to talk poo poo in response to HOWDY PARTNER :haw: and leave them hogtied to the back of my horse.

Parked my horse a train safe slight distance to the side of one end of the Bard's Bridge train bridge. Sprinted to the other end with my Rolling Block. My brave horse put up with me waiting until I was confident in my trigger pull to be a red crosshair dot, but NOT while the name of my horse was popping up on screen. (Use a horse you don't care for if you are not confident, I did just fine :clint: )

Try the more sane hilltop/mountaintop sniper method first though. I only gave up on it because the game was refusing spawn anybody within the very long line of sight when I tried it despite it normally being a fairly busy area. 'Guy tied to your horse' seems more contractually obligated for the game to consider a valid target. Even when they are farther away than when the game decides "gently caress it, despawn a train"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 16, 2018

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Krinkle posted:

You can get past the 660 ft range by posting up at the highest point on the taller butte between Twin Stack Pass in the Heartlands. From there, scope out the farthest rider you can see through the Rolling Block with scope (with the biggest scope upgrade). I'm just not sure the Springfield s scope can see that far. Also, butte.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Man, I just found out you can get a scene with the Murfree Brood if you camp in their area.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’ve been riding between the NE trapper and where the legendary elk is for like an hour now and haven’t seen a single cougar much less a perfect one. It’s the last pelt I need too.

I did get the L. elk and a perfect black bear so it hasn’t been a total waste. I also found the meteorite house.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zaa Boogie posted:

Man, I just found out you can get a scene with the Murfree Brood if you camp in their area.

I got two scenes with them, and then I got a murfee lady who asked if she could join me and I said yes and it was interesting and I hope she's ok.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I’ve been riding between the NE trapper and where the legendary elk is for like an hour now and haven’t seen a single cougar much less a perfect one. It’s the last pelt I need too.

I did get the L. elk and a perfect black bear so it hasn’t been a total waste. I also found the meteorite house.

try even further north, try the legendary moose area.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, I got super lucky with a cougar about half an hour ago. When I started all I'd needed was a cougar, a badger, a beaver, a panther and an iguana.

I was riding south of Annesburg after I'd just fought some Murfrees when a red blip pops up on my map and my horse starts getting scared. Figured it was just a snake and it was.

Then *another* one popped up near the water at the beach. I thought it was another snake until I whipped out my binoculars and looked.

It was a goddamn cougar just strolling about, nowhere close to where I thought they'd be. And a three star one at that.

Right now I just need a panther and an iguana!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Krinkle posted:

I got this at the Heartland Oil Fields by riding up the hill top to the northwest and looking at a guard through a long scoped Rolling Block so he wouldn't despawn and then walking back as far as I could and eventually got it. This challenge is a total pain in the rear end because it's so hard to get it without the game just going "no we're just gonna despawn poo poo/not even render it because it's too far away".

RDR2's challenges really making some of the bullshit from RDR1 seem super tame in comparison.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Yeah, I got super lucky with a cougar about half an hour ago. When I started all I'd needed was a cougar, a badger, a beaver, a panther and an iguana.

I was riding south of Annesburg after I'd just fought some Murfrees when a red blip pops up on my map and my horse starts getting scared. Figured it was just a snake and it was.

Then *another* one popped up near the water at the beach. I thought it was another snake until I whipped out my binoculars and looked.

It was a goddamn cougar just strolling about, nowhere close to where I thought they'd be. And a three star one at that.

Right now I just need a panther and an iguana!

You can get an iguana before New Austin if you go to the big island off of where the third camp is!

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm 29 pages behind but wanted to share a story about a blind man I ran across. So I'm hanging around Saint Denis and decide to give a blind fella 50 cents. after giving him the money I accidentally pull a pistol on him and he almost immediately tells me he's not blind, apologizes, and then runs off with my change. Of course I can't allow this travesty upon my compassion to stand so I chase him down, hogtie him like the pig he is, and then take my money back. He ain't very good at beggin cuz he only carrying the money I gave him. As an added lesson I throw him into a lake and give him a good scare. After all that I let him free to go tell his friends not to ever gently caress with Arthur P. Morgan.

This game is goddamn amazing.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

I got this at the Heartland Oil Fields by riding up the hill top to the northwest and looking at a guard through a long scoped Rolling Block so he wouldn't despawn and then walking back as far as I could and eventually got it. This challenge is a total pain in the rear end because it's so hard to get it without the game just going "no we're just gonna despawn poo poo/not even render it because it's too far away".

RDR2's challenges really making some of the bullshit from RDR1 seem super tame in comparison.

I dunno, they haven't sent me to kill a few bears with a big Marble's hunting knife. gently caress, now I want to try cleavering a cougar but I can't normally get that close.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Since the final Bandit challenge requires me to rob some trains I'm experimenting a little. It definitely feels like they'll hit you with bigger bounties if you keep repeating crimes. I got a $50 bounty and no loot because the first train I hit was a freight train. Then a passenger train in the same region got me up to $290 but I barely broke even with the loot. For train robbery number 3 in New Hanover my bounty is now up to $970 and I swear it jumped up by like $500 as soon as I was reported for robbing another train.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

So let me tell you about the time I caught two three star steelhead trout by having them swim up on the beach and then flop over.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I figured out a way to make a decent amount off of train robberies. If you take the train from Saint Denis that seems to get you passengers with more money and valuables on them. Saw from a Youtube video that passenger trains take a tunnel through the Grizzlies so what I did was board on Saint Denis to Annesburg, and then ride ahead and jump on inside the tunnel. I don't know if it's because the Grizzlies doesn't really have any settlements for lawmen or if the tunnel just bugs them out but you'll get hit with a "crime reported" message but be able to loot the train at your leisure. Passengers will hold out on you so if you don't mind the honor hits you can kill them after robbing them for more loot; normally this would increase your bounty if not for the tunnel/Grizzlies weirdness. Made ~$250 from it and that's before fencing the valuables.

I think I'll try robbing another one just in the Grizzlies region but not in the tunnel and see what happens. Also I'm definitely thinking the 'repeat offender = higher bounty' is totally a thing because I got a copy of the official guide and it's saying train robbery's only a $50 bounty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Train arriving at st Denis also lots of loot. Made over $200 on it. It's a good one too because the swamps make for easy escape.