Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that Jodie seems to love Mandip as much as 13 loves Yaz :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harlock posted:

This feels weird to say but I dont even know if the Daleks would even mesh with the atmosphere and tone of this Doctor.

Insofar as the season has gone I think you're probably 100% right. None of the Doctor's big bads would really fit in honestly, it's just not grim enough.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Orv posted:

Insofar as the season has gone I think you're probably 100% right. None of the Doctor's big bads would really fit in honestly, it's just not grim enough.

Time to roll oit the Chumblies :3:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh god, that reminds me of the lifesize cutout of captain jack i sent someone for dr who secret santa a few years back

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Bill+nardole > current group

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Sontarans, except they are ALL Strax.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dongicus posted:

Bill+nardole > current group

you motherfucker

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm down with this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BSam posted:

dr who secret santa

:ohdearsass: I knew I meant to do something

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Going with my earlier idea of a small-scale returning alien: Sontarans, except it's just Strax.

To be serious, I feel like there's potential in a story with a single Sontaran as a villain, but I don't know what the plot would be since we've already had an episode that was basically Predator.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

A Christmas episode this year would reveal that Meadowhall does indeed house the gateway to hell in December

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, it was Paul McGann’s birthday yesterday! :toot:

I hope he remembered. :ohdear:

I will always appreciate the fact that he now plays an evil doctor in Holby City. I dunno what he did exactly but he's a big rotter on there

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

McDragon posted:

A Christmas episode this year would reveal that Meadowhall does indeed house the gateway to hell in December

I will always appreciate the fact that he now plays an evil doctor in Holby City. I dunno what he did exactly but he's a big rotter on there

I believe his character gave someone brain damage in order to stop them disrupting his research. He'd make a decent Who antagonist.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

McDragon posted:

Just December?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Going with my earlier idea of a small-scale returning alien: Sontarans, except it's just Strax.

To be serious, I feel like there's potential in a story with a single Sontaran as a villain, but I don't know what the plot would be since we've already had an episode that was basically Predator.

The first two Sontaran stories are just a single Sontaran as the villain, mostly because they just had the one mask.

In fact, I think the only other classic Sontaran stories involve the goofy tall ones.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Soothing Vapors posted:

you motherfucker

graham is very good do not get me wrong

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

You just reminded me that series 4 had an episode where the antagonist was a techbro from the states who wasn't as smart as he thought he was, who attempted to conquer the world using self-driving cars in the interests of his interplanetary travel fixation.

truly rtd was a prophet of our age

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not only that, it was in a Helen Raynor story, just a year after she'd been raked through the coals for the impossible task of trying to write Daleks in Manhattan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

In fact, I think the only other classic Sontaran stories involve the goofy tall ones.

Yes, it's half and half: "The Time Warrior" and "The Sontaran Experiment" had the same short Sontarans; "The Invasion of Time" and "The Two Doctors" have the ones that are vulnerable against deckchairs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1063416597249957888

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Bring back Styre

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

TinTower posted:

Just December?

It just opens in December and lets all the evil out for the year

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whybird posted:

You just reminded me that series 4 had an episode where the antagonist was a techbro from the states who wasn't as smart as he thought he was, who attempted to conquer the world using self-driving cars in the interests of his interplanetary travel fixation.

truly rtd was a prophet of our age

I've softened a lot on that two-parter. It's written by the same woman who wrote Daleks in Manhattan and it has some similar "trying to do too much" going on, but at least it isn't quite so bizarrely badly designed and terrible at understanding its setting. It is really fun to watch the Doctor goad the little tech bro genius, even if all the clone batch stuff is nonsense.

I still think, though, that the RTD years, it's a huge waste to do a Sontaran two-parter and not have the cliffhanger being David Tennant, after stopping the Sontaran fleet, realiize it was a set-up and say "Oh no. Oh no! It's the Rutans!" It's exactly the kind of silly, over-the-top nonsense twist he was so good at making fun.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I've softened a lot on that two-parter. It's written by the same woman who wrote Daleks in Manhattan and it has some similar "trying to do too much" going on, but at least it isn't quite so bizarrely badly designed and terrible at understanding its setting. It is really fun to watch the Doctor goad the little tech bro genius, even if all the clone batch stuff is nonsense.

I still think, though, that the RTD years, it's a huge waste to do a Sontaran two-parter and not have the cliffhanger being David Tennant, after stopping the Sontaran fleet, realiize it was a set-up and say "Oh no. Oh no! It's the Rutans!" It's exactly the kind of silly, over-the-top nonsense twist he was so good at making fun.

But Martha was in that episode? :confused:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"...Dad being Brad." :allears:

These guys will never be able to resist the Big Finish Lunches.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's some cool stuff in that Sontaran two-parter, and a lot a lot a lot of nonsense.

But as far as I'm concerned its biggest crime is the crazy lighting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, not that Helen Raynor's writing is strong, but the direction really, really doesn't help either of her two-parters.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Has the full version of the memo where Sydney Newman suggested a female doctor ever resurfaced? I remember seeing longer excerpts in an old making of book, and in addition to the lady doc idea there were also notes about deemphasising over the top lethal alien threats (plus some harsh words about the violence of JNT era), making the TARDIS crew a kind of family unit, and doing more historical adventures with an educational bent. The reboot we have now is very similar to the reboot he suggested in the late 80s.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The_Doctor posted:

Only twice by my count? Sycorax and the Racnoss ship?

The special after that had the Doctor use the TARDIS to change the weather, leading him to comment "one of these days it'll snow for real." They might be mixing it up with that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It was ballast from the Titanic.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, not that Helen Raynor's writing is strong, but the direction really, really doesn't help either of her two-parters.

RTDera.txt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but I don't know how people could have not enjoyed the Sontaran 2-parter in season 4, it's great. The Sontarans do a haka for God's sake!

They call Bradley Walsh "dad" :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I love the crazy lighting in the Sontaran two-parter. If not in Doctor Who, then where?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I love the crazy lighting in the Sontaran two-parter. If not in Doctor Who, then where?

That nightclub in Hitchhiker's where wall nozzles spray sweat on you while robots scream at you to dance?

I do remember the lighting looking pretty bomb in the sequence where Martha gets out of that bathtub though. And I respect that it was a valiant attempt to make a lovely looking factory look less poo poo. But no, for the most part, no.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The lighting was all very Joel Schumacher’s Batman.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok, I finally nailed down my problem with this new Doctor (and its a criticism of the writing, not the Jodie). I can’t remember if it’s a canonical description of Ozma of Oz, but the phrase “she is Good, but not always Nice” is stuck in my memory. And to me that’s important for the Doctor. I know Jodie can nail it, so I want the writers to give it to her. I like her happy optimism, but I want to see more of the danger of thwarting it. She came close, in this last episode, but I want to see why you should not cross her.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Oh, I actually genuinely enjoyed the Sontaran two-parter, I just think it's brilliant that RTD somehow managed to predict Elon Musk.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

navyjack posted:

Ok, I finally nailed down my problem with this new Doctor (and its a criticism of the writing, not the Jodie). I can’t remember if it’s a canonical description of Ozma of Oz, but the phrase “she is Good, but not always Nice” is stuck in my memory. And to me that’s important for the Doctor. I know Jodie can nail it, so I want the writers to give it to her. I like her happy optimism, but I want to see more of the danger of thwarting it. She came close, in this last episode, but I want to see why you should not cross her.

After, like, four doctors who were constantly on the verge of an apocalyptic loss of temper (which, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed), I'm actually kind of glad they've backed off in favor of something different.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like there’s a bit of a Five embodiment. Almost generically nice, three companions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like there’s a bit of a Five embodiment. Almost generically nice, three companions...

Yeah, I think there are some comparisons to be made (though having watched some Five stuff recently, he's a lot more brittle around the edges than I remember).

To me, what exemplifies Thirteen so far is that she's just so drat happy to be alive and doing Doctor stuff with her new best friends. Which, coming off of Twelve's desire to just be done with everything at the end, is a really interesting direction to move in.

I love it, but I do agree that I'd like to see more of what makes this particular Doctor tick.