Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Outrail posted:

When's the last time Paebro made an on screen appearance?

Like, a while right? Did his stealth field just poof him from his existence?

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Our slave, Podral, who died at Ibelam?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Straight from Lefkandi Industrial Pots and Heresy Pottery, a Vase in honour of the most Noble Dog of all time, Labradorabas.
Or in True Speech, Guards-The-Urth.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lefkandi = לפקאנדי

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure we're going to be forbidden from telling this to anyone. As in, the melachim are going to pop by in a few minutes.

Telling what to anyone? What did we learn that we didn’t suspect before?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Nemo posted:

Telling what to anyone? What did we learn that we didn’t suspect before?

Preaching the idea that will and intention have direct effects on the world.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Diog: Can we recall the last conversation we had with Paebro? Are there any suspicious absences in our memory where he should have been there but wasn't?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Lmao if Amos's shock was this Epiphany we just had. It was just a letter, written and sealed in the back of our mind that says "Try doing something, with feeling, dumbass".

Now Amos is having an existential crisis about his entire life.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

There Bias Two posted:

I'm pretty sure we're going to be forbidden from telling this to anyone. As in, the melachim are going to pop by in a few minutes.

Given that the update indicated that Enkidel can't even put what he learned into functioning words, I think we'll probably be alright. If he can't clearly articulate what he's learned, how can he share that information with anyone? Sure, we could collectively vote to tell people what we think he learned from Blasphemer's Epiphany (dibs on using this for a band name), but I doubt that would ever win a vote or be able to be proven to the point where we get sworn to secrecy.

I imagine the only time and place we'll see this new-found knowledge come up is when Enkidel is working Blooded arts, in the form of a permanent "+5% to efficiency and results" modifier. His poo poo will be made better, more quickly, but not in any way where TPtB come to sign some sort of NDA with us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Unless we can use it as a 'want it to happen and it happens' force.

'I really want this arrow to punch through that norcs head, and then through the other fifty norcs in that battalion'

Can we craft a question so good even Ish feels compelled to answer? Let's work on that.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

People keep spelling my SA handle wrong. I find this amusing.

Also:Voting to freak the hell out of Uriah with a yell/curse regarding our realization.

:v:*walking around quiety*
"SON OF A BITCH!"
:supaburn:

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

Can we craft a question so good even Ish feels compelled to answer? Let's work on that.

Isn't this what question time already is? To make blooded bronze we have to reforge the item 1000 times, to get Ish to answer a question we have to ask it in 1000 different ways.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
wow who knew the setting was actually just mage the ascension

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Pladdicus posted:

...which I've never actually played, if it is similar.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We should consider giving our Blooded Stuff overcomplicated names like with Flies-Straight and Bull Dude. Seems like giving an item an identity gives it extra oomph.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Diogines posted:

...which I've never actually played, if it is similar.

It isn't really just the one bit. The magic in that setting works by putting your willpower against the consensus of reality.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Blasphemaster posted:

We should consider giving our Blooded Stuff overcomplicated names like with Flies-Straight and Bull Dude. Seems like giving an item an identity gives it extra oomph.

You mean like what we did with Snarls what Snarls did to us and the other members of Zepath and Kavodel that he cares about?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Pladdicus posted:

It isn't really just the one bit. The magic in that setting works by putting your willpower against the consensus of reality.

Willing things so hard you bend the rules of reality is a fairly standard idea in fiction, honestly.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pladdicus posted:

Was reading the Demon sourcebook and Ur could fit neatly into their Antediluvian period with various factions of Angels/Demons duking it out. It might just be White Wolf and Diog cribbing from the same set of Old Testament books though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Polgas posted:

For the city famed for its magic and healing its weird its not being swarmed with hordes of desperate people.

That's probably why they are famously isolationist and xenophobic to the point of not accepting travelers, so much so that guys from the edge of the world know this.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
are those beeches?

I got red apples but drat it is not that fuckin read

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Blasphemaster posted:

People keep spelling my SA handle wrong. I find this amusing.

Ah poo poo, my bad. I'm deducting -5 Ur points from myself in shame.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

arborem delenda est

by FEASTING!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

are those beeches?

I think it's a boxelder.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

are those beeches?

Fresh cut red cedar.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Diog, I have a question for Enkidel's smithing knowledge. Can multiple smiths work on a single piece of blooded bronze weapon/tool/armor together? Does that important part that is impossible to describe not work with 2 smiths hammering a piece of bronze into spearhead? I'm pretty sure Enkidel has tried this but I have no idea how to find this.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
we know the answer to that already, it's no.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

E: We’ll also need to make a blooded cloud. 

haha whoops

Holy poo poo

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Diog, I have a question for Enkidel's smithing knowledge. Can multiple smiths work on a single piece of blooded bronze weapon/tool/armor together? Does that important part that is impossible to describe not work with 2 smiths hammering a piece of bronze into spearhead? I'm pretty sure Enkidel has tried this but I have no idea how to find this.

Adina has helped us with some blooded bronze pieces in the past, notably the breastplate we gave to Esher as a reward for the blue stone from his Murder Tree. I'm not sure exactly how that worked out but Enkidel and Adina probably have a closer relationship than any other smiths in Ur that aren't related by blood. Even then it's not a master/apprentice relationship but instead mutual progress towards a common goal as peers.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Olothreutes posted:

I think it's a boxelder.

ShotgunWillie posted:

Fresh cut red cedar.

my shamanism training has failed me :negative:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blasphemaster posted:

I'm still convinced we can make a Blooded Bronze Bow if we keep trying, provided we learn how to make a really good one from the appropriate materials first, thus finding out all the properties we need to infuse it with.

"He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bow of bronze."

-Psalm 18:34

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Olothreutes posted:

Adina has helped us with some blooded bronze pieces in the past, notably the breastplate we gave to Esher as a reward for the blue stone from his Murder Tree. I'm not sure exactly how that worked out but Enkidel and Adina probably have a closer relationship than any other smiths in Ur that aren't related by blood. Even then it's not a master/apprentice relationship but instead mutual progress towards a common goal as peers.

Diogines posted:

And eventually it was completed. A breastplate and a back-plate in one, a new sort of armor. One made specifically for you though a large man might wear it as well. The thing is beautiful to look upon and engraved upon the front is a winged sandal, which is the symbol of your people. On the back is an image of Zepathan men trampling a horde of Bnaimokt beneath their spears, shields and feet, Adina helped you much of the finer bits of the engraving, a skill he is much better at than you and indeed Adina is at this point in his life among the preeminent smiths of your people. Still, despite the beauty of the thing and it is pleasing to look upon and despite its firmness and indeed it is very strong, the armor was much weaker than your own and thus not a replacement. You learned a great deal making it but having done so you only better now appreciate how time consuming making pieces of exceptional quality is. You are nearer to making something stronger than what you now possess, yet it is still a distant goal.
Adina helped you make it look nicer. After you finished making it.

You've tried with Adina. It felt... wrong.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

:hmmyes:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Zeroisanumber posted:

If you can make a solid bronze bull that can move as if alive, a flexible bronze bow is more than possible.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

Huh ok. So working with another smith to make Blooded Bronze equipment doesn't work too well.

Blasphemaster posted:

[effortpost]
When a Blooded Dude does it, he's telling the Spearhead that it's a Spearhead with his thoughts and actions. He does the same process, but each time says to himself "It could be MORE Spearhead-y. It's a Spearhead alright, but it could be a better one. Not another, distinct spear, but this particular hunk of metal right here." Melt it down, start it over. Keep doing it over and over and over so many loving times that he's essentially convinced himself, the Spearhead, and the laws that govern reality that it's a Really loving Spectacular Spearhead that does Spearhead Stuff Really loving Well. And thus a Blooded Bronze Spearhead is made.

Which also goes to explain why you can't up the bloodedness of someone else's Blooded Bronze or even really collaborate on forging a single item. Unless everyone's thoughs are perfectly in sync throughout the entire process, the imparting of will into the item will be inconsistent and the result flawed.

So clearly we have to obtain leave from our tutor to get a Ball Trance going on with Adina and our other Blooded Smiths for like 8 hours a day for a bunch of years and BAM replacement armor for Tudiya BAM Entry Level Blooded Gear for all the Balls BAM city walls plated in Blooded Bronze BAM automated palanquin for Snarls BAM Bronze Age Metal-Clad Warships BAM ET CETERA.

[/effortpost]

The bolded part is an interesting explanation for why 2 smiths can't make a piece of Blooded Bronze equipment together. We would need to have our will and intention and thoughts coordinated in some way to make cooperative Blooded Bronze Smithing work. Also, I think there is an example of groups of people in Ur coordinating like this, and I am not talking about Ball Trance. I'm thinking the Old Tales are meant to accomplish this across the entire population of Ur.

gently caress. Is this why tradition is important? The Old Tales being told by word and memorized by everyone, all those unshakable traditions, they help keep everyone in a city coordinating their wills and intention on how the city should be? Ah god drat it the House of El probably know this poo poo. Is this why Zebanetha is so anguished when Tudiya changes anything, like raising taxes?

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 17, 2018

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cornuto posted:

If you can make a solid bronze bull that can move as if alive, a flexible bronze bow is more than possible.

You'd think that we'd have figured that out around the time that we met an arrow with an AI in it, but we're an unimaginative bunch.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The Old Tales being told by word and memorized by everyone, all those unshakable traditions, they help keep everyone in a city coordinating their wills and intention on how the city should be?

This is why Kavodel is so great, because Enkidel is willing it to be an awesome place full of happy, prosperous people.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is why Kavodel is so great, because Enkidel is willing it to be an awesome place full of happy, prosperous people.

gently caress yeah.

Everyone is dropping these truth bombs on us and freaking out that it will gently caress up our super-make-people-awesome-will and we are like "nah, I that's cool. I'm doing my own thing."

:shrug: to horrible poo poo is probably Enkidel's greatest power. It let's us ignore people's terrible paradigms and make our own awesome Kavodel.

amok: IM UR GOD AND UR GONNA BE A DEMON
enki: :shrug:

Ish: check this poo poo out
Enki: :shrug:

amos: not everyone goes to paradise
enki: :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Diogines posted:

If overwhelming will is the key part, its probably impossible to have proper collaboration. You'd need to have the same will and desires, and that's likely not compatible with being independent beings.