Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thank god the console works and I can disable stuff I dislike. Shame about the FO76 players who can't tcl out of terrain glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That is also acceptable

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I installed the living desert mid game and now crash regularly lol. About once every 15 min, usually on loading saves or transitioning areas.

This sure is a way to play the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I installed the living desert mid game and now crash regularly lol. About once every 15 min, usually on loading saves or transitioning areas.

This sure is a way to play the game.

Big mods like that are usually bad to install mid-game.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

At least it only adds cosmetic things and npcs. I just disabled the stuff that bugged me and otherwise have enjoyed the mod for making the wasteland a bit more lived-in.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why are people so mad at the guy for having the dead legion soldier at the NCR outpost?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's a little bit on the edgy side for what is a trafficked outpost, I suppose, but as far as modding additions go, it's extremely mild, honestly, and honestly doesn't ruin the atmosphere for me.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Why are people so mad at the guy for having the dead legion soldier at the NCR outpost?

Bullfrog posted:

and by far the stupidest addition is that the mojave outpost has a dead legion soldier hanged from the monument. Traders pass through there for gently caress's sake, why would they hang a corpse from the monument.

Probably because of that. The Mojave Outpost is the major point of access for traders and travelers from NCR territories into the Mojave and having a rotting corpse hanging from a major monument directly in the path of said traders and travelers would be insane and completely out of character with how the NCR is presented. It would be like House sticking the heads of people who tried to get past the North Gate on pikes or something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't see it as out of character at all. It's an NCR outpost, the NCR really dislike the legion. I guess we'll just have to disagree. As an side, I'm actually surprised that House doesn't have heads on pikes by the north gate.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
True its an NCR outpost, but it also doubles as the major checkpoint for traffic into the Mojave so it has tons of civilians passing through. Plus, the NCR doesn't allow prisoners of war to be beaten by NCR personnel (Carrie Boyd, the commanding officer of the NCR MPs at McCarran, talks about this), so having the bodies of enemies hanging like that would be a tad weird. But yeah, agree to disagree. And as always, the good old console is the easiest way to get rid of stuff like that, providing that the rope somehow didn't get added to the statue model itself, otherwise Sgt. Kilborn will have to find some new shade.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Actually the thing that struck me as most odd was how did they get that guy up there? Some sort of pulley? Wouldn't there be excess rope?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I could see the NCR having a gallows set up right next the monument. It's not the act of a civilized and bureaucratic nation, which is what the NCR feels itself to be, to hang a dead body off of a monument. It's the connotations of the act which rub people the wrong way. It's not just barbaric, but it's also not correct according the the NCRMJ, and you didn't fill out form 26a (Disposal of Enemy Combatants.) (Yes, neither of those things are in game, but do you really think that the NCR wouldn't have them?)

Incidentally, I feel that a big part of the reason that there are relatively few quest/content mods for New Vegas is just how good the game is, any flaw looks ten times worse just for the backdrop it's up against.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Also even if you disable it in the console the asset is still lurking there taking up system resources in secret for no actual reason.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

I don't see it as out of character at all. It's an NCR outpost, the NCR really dislike the legion. I guess we'll just have to disagree. As an side, I'm actually surprised that House doesn't have heads on pikes by the north gate.

I mean lets be honest now, if you are going to hang a Legion soldier plenty of lamp posts to due it now further down behind the checkpoint.

It's just not very subtle. Plus goddamn you'd need a tall ladder to get up that statue.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Also even if you disable it in the console the asset is still lurking there taking up system resources in secret for no actual reason.
That's because disable isn't meant to remove things. Its purpose is to temporarily hide something from the player.
If you want something really gone you use MarkForDelete (or start up FNVEdit and just remove the reference). Though what are you even doing that the memory that single asset takes might be a concern?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Would a bunch of grunts go out and do it for a laugh? Absolutely. Once the sun was up, would the officer in command leave it there? gently caress no.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Would a bunch of grunts go out and do it for a laugh? Absolutely. Once the sun was up, would the officer in command leave it there? gently caress no.

It's also a memorial with the super elite hard asses of said army and I imagine no NCR grunt would like to be chewed out by an officer with a hard on/was in either of the Rangers too.

Assuming of course they haven't morosely shot themselves in the head over fatalism of the Wasteland politics that is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I just figure one of the caravans might make a stink. What if his arm rots off and falls on our heads? We don't like to be reminded that we're coming into an active war zone. Etc

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
A corpse there is weird when an Oblivion gate makes so much better sense in that location.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Agents are GO! posted:

I could see the NCR having a gallows set up right next the monument. It's not the act of a civilized and bureaucratic nation, which is what the NCR feels itself to be, to hang a dead body off of a monument. It's the connotations of the act which rub people the wrong way. It's not just barbaric, but it's also not correct according the the NCRMJ, and you didn't fill out form 26a (Disposal of Enemy Combatants.) (Yes, neither of those things are in game, but do you really think that the NCR wouldn't have them?)

I feel like this is American as all hell. Pretend to be a civilized nation, actually a bunch of super patriotic fanatics.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

moot the hopple posted:

A corpse there is weird when an Oblivion gate makes so much better sense in that location.

:hmmyes:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

moot the hopple posted:

:hai:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I was wondering how many people would still get that reference in 2018, outside of the hardcore Skyrim bunch.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 17, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’m a hardcore Oblivion gamer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've noticed on Nexus's media tab that Millennia has been working on some more weapon textures. I really hope he comes back and does some updates because his almost nonexistent presence in Fallout 4 modding was really felt.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I have the same problem with it that I have with all the random skeletons left lying around in various shops and residential areas: it's super weird that someone would leave a corpse in a place where people are trying to work and live their lives.

No matter how much the NCR hates the Legion they're not going to want to constantly smell rotten flesh while they're trying to fill out paper work or get sworn at by the many traders who walk under that statue everyday because a dead guy's blood or piss or bile or whatever dripped down onto their head.

Also, like you said yourself:

Actually the thing that struck me as most odd was how did they get that guy up there? Some sort of pulley? Wouldn't there be excess rope?

It's just a super dumb place to hang a person.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Is there a highlights video of ropekid playing New California yet?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hanging also seems rather labor intensive for the NCR. They're about swift justice, death by execution for crimes. Just shoot the guy and dump his body outside of town where it won't drink the place up.

It's still a minor quibble for a mod when we have contemporary mods with lines about women being cum dumpsters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hanging also seems rather labor intensive for the NCR. They're about swift justice, death by execution for crimes. Just shoot the guy and dump his body outside of town where it won't drink the place up.

It's still a minor quibble for a mod when we have contemporary mods with lines about women being cum dumpsters.

I haven't played Living Wasteland, but I understand being annoyed about the hanging stuff. You just flat out don't install the mods that have the phrase "cum dumpster" in them, so it's easy to laugh at them, but a mod you generally like and think is lore friendly having a couple things things that rub you wrong way is a lot more bothersome.

It's people on twitter dropping the n-bomb versus people here making an oblique reference to "those people."

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Agents are GO! posted:

Personally, I would picture a unit of rangers (probably the only ones capable of capturing legionnaires alive) leaving scalped Legion soldiers in plain sight. It's only a small step up from taking legion ears after all. And if it took place in backwater legion territory? Well...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is there a highlights video of ropekid playing New California yet?

It's on twitch VODs

He mercifully skirted around the worst parts.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've noticed on Nexus's media tab that Millennia has been working on some more weapon textures. I really hope he comes back and does some updates because his almost nonexistent presence in Fallout 4 modding was really felt.

In the intervening time between Weapons of the New Millenia and fo4, they were preoccupied with Fractured Space. As much as I appreciate the mods, those ships looked fantastic.

Millenia's absence and the slow progress on Battlefield 1 animation mod (not that I blame them, the engine is uncooperative) are big reasons I gave fo4 a pass. Not worth the price of entry without quality modification.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Though what are you even doing that the memory that single asset takes might be a concern?

Playing the rickety cobbled together game we all know and love as F:NV with mods enabled.

Delacroix posted:

It's on twitch VODs

He mercifully skirted around the worst parts.

What's the point of watching someone play an awful mod if they avoid the worst parts?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're game developers playing a fan project. You have to tread lightly or you can damage not only your own online presence but that of your studio as well.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Why not play one of the good mods if you're so worried about damaging the brand

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

Why not play one of the good mods if you're so worried about damaging the brand

There aren't any good story mods that are anywhere close to that extensive. Plus I'm willing to bet a lot of people online say it's good (Though I know Sawyer is a goon, so he should know better).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is New California that garbage?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bony tony posted:

Just from the screenshots posted here, an NPC slut shames a computer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You can't make good story mods in Fallout games. It's never happened. Even the 'good' ones are poo poo, and I fully expect someone to jump to the defense of at least one of them. It's probably going to be the bounties mod, where you are sent to kill a single pop culture reference and then immediately go back and repeat. And I have a pretty high tolerance for poo poo, I'm currently playing and enjoying Fallout 76.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That Puce Moose mod with the house above Novac

I don't really like the gameplay of any of their mods (fetch quests ahoy) but I still dug the story of that first one they did for NV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

bony tony posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzIpkQDtcM

Everything I've seen of it makes it seem like an incel simulator mod