Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan being an idiot is at least partially a gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

Dave burying his family is always the best

On the latest WOR Dave is talking about all the stuff he has on this weekend and then randomly remembers,"Oh yeah it's my brother's birthday too...." :lol:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

His brother shares a birthday with my dad :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Happy birthday to your dad :)

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

VJeff posted:

I don't think Dave's family does, given that time he totally buried a family vacation he went on. :lol:

I'm a new subscriber, any way I could possibly get a date on this?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DangerDummy! posted:

If someone remembers god bless them but I bet that ends up on the Best of 2018 that'll be out around Christmas.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DangerDummy! posted:

VJeff posted:

Came here to post about Dave burying his family's bad taste in vacations. :lol:

This is when I posted about it first. Check if there's any WORs around that date, I s'pose!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'll see what I can find, thanks! I'm listening to the WOR shows as they're released and going through the Retro Raw & Nitro shows now, but if anyone can point me to anything else worthwhile I'd be grateful.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Thanks to The Lapsed Fan I have had "Heaven Needed A Champion" stuck in my head all day, every day.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Thanks to The Lapsed Fan I have had "Heaven Needed A Champion" stuck in my head all day, every day.

If you love "Heaven Needed a Champion," you'll love his other hit song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV-i-H-Vbew

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

mariooncrack posted:

If you love "Heaven Needed a Champion," you'll love his other hit song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV-i-H-Vbew

I'm hearing word he wrote a song for the Von Erich boys called "My Dad Can Lick Your Dad" but haven't seen it surface online yet

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I'm hearing word he wrote a song for the Von Erich boys called "My Dad Can Lick Your Dad" but haven't seen it surface online yet

BEHOLD!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s8SbV_iOe4

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/rohanunrau/status/1062847892354949121

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1062979522813808640

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Beautiful thank you

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Great little mini bio on Lex Luger at the end of today's WOR.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

How often did Sid do a kip-up?

I saw him do one at the Herb Abrams' Blackjack Brawl show of all places, but I'm not familiar with most of his pre-1995 career to know if he did that a lot

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Which one of you is being a total rear end in a top hat to Bix on the Deadspin comments?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

EugeneJ posted:

How often did Sid do a kip-up?

I saw him do one at the Herb Abrams' Blackjack Brawl show of all places, but I'm not familiar with most of his pre-1995 career to know if he did that a lot
He actually did it pretty regularly for a long time, at least through his 2nd WWF run.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Which one of you is being a total rear end in a top hat to Bix on the Deadspin comments?
1988 Toyota Manami? No idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You know, I'm starting to suspect that Booker T is NOT one of Dave Meltzer's sources :thunk:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan fighting the good fight against Wikipedia editors ✊

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Me.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Jerusalem posted:

You know, I'm starting to suspect that Booker T is NOT one of Dave Meltzer's sources :thunk:

That was hilarious. Dave censors himself a lot but you can really tell that he is extremly bothered about a fellow journalist being killed(as he should be).

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

That was hilarious. Dave censors himself a lot but you can really tell that he is extremly bothered about a fellow journalist being killed(as he should be).

One of his best friends was Bruiser Brody who was murdered overseas.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

One of his best friends was Bruiser Brody who was murdered overseas.

Brody was also trained as a journalist with bylines in one of San Antonio's papers.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

coconono posted:

Brody was also trained as a journalist with bylines in one of San Antonio's papers.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Meltzer taking down Russo truthers yet they still persist

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1063822674068045824

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Lance went in on Dave on the Figure Four Daily today

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

dsriggs posted:

Lance went in on Dave on the Figure Four Daily today

Oh? What'd he say?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

mariooncrack posted:

Oh? What'd he say?

Disagreed with Dave that today is the best time to be a fan and went off on Dave's emphasis on star ratings & work rate.

Also Bryan saying people online are either trolls or stupid was pretty good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it really is a good time to be a wrestling fan tho. You can watch wrestling from wherever however you want to. Live, on TV, streamed to your toilet tablet, whatever makes you happy. And there's such a wide variety of wrestling available too. From lucha to puro to deathmatch to sports entertainment to comedy to wrasslin to spotfests to indie crossfit demos, there's something for everyone.

Where it really lacks is the big storylines that make even the most jaded fans forget that all this stuff is agreed upon in the back.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The only thing that I feel is missing from wrestling now is true blood feuds. It still happens to a lesser degree in NJPW, happens in Mexico, but it's really hard to have great rivalries like Steen/Generico now that everyone that gets just a little momentum ends up on the WWE radar. PWG and CHIKARA used to be the "Super Indies" but PWG has moved on to being showcase matches for up and comers, and CHIKARA is back to its roots as just a training facility.

It's not longer just the A+ King of Independent wrestlers getting signed anymore, it's the B- and C+ guys and gals getting signed up now which makes it pretty hard for any US indy to build a good roster and have a good show. Eventually the NXT/WWE bubble will explode and they'll HAVE to start releasing people en masse eventually again, right?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dunno how Lance could disagree with thinking it's the best time to be a fan but then again, he is a complete moron

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Seeing everyone you like either immediately swallowed up by the company that treats them poorly and sends them to Saudi twice a year, or waiting a few years to be more in demand to be swallowed up there, has admittedly been pretty disheartening as a fan. Doesn’t help it’s only going to escalate next year, the first full year they get to really spend said Saudi, Fox, and USA money

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
As far as access, it's never been a better time to be a wrestling fan. However, the heat and crowd reaction from the territories or even the attitude era make those shows look like they would've been so fun to attend.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Chris James 2 posted:

Seeing everyone you like either immediately swallowed up by the company that treats them poorly and sends them to Saudi twice a year, or waiting a few years to be more in demand to be swallowed up there, has admittedly been pretty disheartening as a fan. Doesn’t help it’s only going to escalate next year, the first full year they get to really spend said Saudi, Fox, and USA money
I forgot about all that, they have free reign to sign 100 indy wrestlers and a couple major NJPW stars with all that money. They're becoming WCW paying people to sit at home

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

As far as access, it's never been a better time to be a wrestling fan. However, the heat and crowd reaction from the territories or even the attitude era make those shows look like they would've been so fun to attend.
I attended Souled Out 1999, the PPV after Goldberg's streak was ended. I've read reports since that they had to mute crowd reactions because pretty much the whole loving show people were just doing the Goldberg chant and cared about nothing else.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chris James 2 posted:

They were either going to get swallowed up or retire earlier than 70s-90s wrestlers from injuries. At least with the WWE option there's a chance they can walk away financially secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

They were either going to get swallowed up or retire earlier than 70s-90s wrestlers from injuries. At least with the WWE option there's a chance they can walk away financially secure.

Except unless your the top guy the WWE money is the same and the merch money may not be as much. And NXT still doesn't pay you what you can do on the indies

WWE and Vince is not gonna spend that money on talent