Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm sorry that story missions made the downes' ranch abandoned because it was close to the trapper and the only place I know of to get oxen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Krinkle posted:

I'm sorry that story missions made the downes' ranch abandoned because it was close to the trapper and the only place I know of to get oxen.

Emerald Ranch and the farm near it have oxen sometimes

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I watched a man get kicked to death by his own horse while he was trying to fix it's shoe. I watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs yesterday and the line, "Things have a way of escalating out here in the west" seems to ring very true in RDR2. Also, throwing a head at a serial killer and then kicking his rear end and tying him up to take him to jail, only to have him try and eat the sheriff and taking a bullet to the neck was pretty cool. I hung around afterwards to read the jail ledger and got a 10 dollar disturbing the peace bounty. Is there any other good creepy side stuff like the spoilered bit?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Untrustable posted:

I watched a man get kicked to death by his own horse while he was trying to fix it's shoe. I watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs yesterday and the line, "Things have a way of escalating out here in the west" seems to ring very true in RDR2. Also, throwing a head at a serial killer and then kicking his rear end and tying him up to take him to jail, only to have him try and eat the sheriff and taking a bullet to the neck was pretty cool. I hung around afterwards to read the jail ledger and got a 10 dollar disturbing the peace bounty. Is there any other good creepy side stuff like the spoilered bit?

Yes, that mission, so I'm tied up, I assume, and he's saying all the things he's going to do to me, and I get the option to "throw head".
That's a weird way to say "head butt him when he gets close enough" but okay. I am tied up so clearly it doesn't meant "pick up a head with my hogtied hand and throw it"
Well I shouldn't do it now he's not in headbutt range. He is still gloating. I would just throw my head against nothing and he wouldn't lean in for a good head butt later. Oh it took the option away. Oh I just let him murder me. Oh my hands were free and I could have struggled in literally any way including my idea rather than just sit here and scream and he flenses me.

I am not going to say my interpretation of the button press option made perfect sense but I wasn't confident enough to risk it so I died.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Chapter five sucks and the mission into chapter 5 is devastating. I want to reload my save and just stay in chapter 4 forever and hunt and fish.

ive been playing this game since the day it came out and im still in chapter 2. i just roam around hunting and such, occasionally shooting or getting shot at by those irish dudes, but mostly just chillng in the wilderness. its nice. ive done a few of the story missions but mostly stay far from the camp

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 17, 2018

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I brought Lenny a pocket watch like he wanted, but as soon as I hit the button to hand it to him he stood up and walked away. It seemed really abrupt. Was he supposed to say anything? Even "thanks, Arthur"?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Can you free roam play the game after you finish the main campaign?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Just reached chapter 6, thinking of getting a new war horse, tired of my easily spooked Arabian. Which would you consider the best available?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

My current horse (not sure what breed) does a weird stutter step occasionally so I can't time it's gallop properly. Cassadega is a good horse but I think I'll go back to Arienette, Lua, or Supriya.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

God this night time encounter in the Bayou is such bullshit. Where there's a crying lady and you get ambushed by a bunch of knife wielding assholes.

I can take a bunch of health items to have golden bars and cores and still get put down to near death and then the next hit is just fatal. Can't just shoot her beforehand either because it just gives you honor loss.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnknownMercenary posted:

God this night time encounter in the Bayou is such bullshit. Where there's a crying lady and you get ambushed by a bunch of knife wielding assholes.

I can take a bunch of health items to have golden bars and cores and still get put down to near death and then the next hit is just fatal. Can't just shoot her beforehand either because it just gives you honor loss.

Knives are totally brutal in this game, it's kind of ridiculous. Pump action shotgun is my "always equip in the bayou in case of nite folk" weapon.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Aranan posted:

I brought Lenny a pocket watch like he wanted, but as soon as I hit the button to hand it to him he stood up and walked away. It seemed really abrupt. Was he supposed to say anything? Even "thanks, Arthur"?

Yeah that's a bug, he's got some lines. I had the same bug happen with Jack.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Knives are totally brutal in this game, it's kind of ridiculous. Pump action shotgun is my "always equip in the bayou in case of nite folk" weapon.
I'd joke "They learned from you that a knife is an instant kill!" But during "Magicians for Sport" I ended up stabbing an enemy with a throwing knife 20+ loving times before he died :stare:

Now, the guy BEFORE him? Instant death via throwing knife melee. And a guy after him out of spite Inspired by Danaru's hatred of snipers. So god only knows what quirk lead to the most knife resistant man in the country between em.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 17, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Section Z posted:

I'd joke "They learned from you that a knife is an instant kill!" But during "Magicians for Sport" I ended up stabbing an enemy with a throwing knife 20+ loving times before he died :stare:

Now, the guy BEFORE him? Instant death via throwing knife melee.

Whoa what the gently caress

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Whoa what the gently caress
My top theory is that it was attempting to transition into a fist fight, but the throwing knife in my hands and unyielding flurry of slices made something go screwy. Given how "gently caress it, pull a knife" has always lead to an instant win when I was in the Punch Zone (Though I figure that defaults to the regular melee category), and canned murder animations have always worked with my little baby throwing knives outside of boxing matches.

It would be smarter to just throw em. But it feels hilarious to successfully rush down people with shotguns via tiny knife.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 17, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Been looking for a single male Moose of any star quality for its antlers for a solid 2 hours now. None of the spawn points have them. gently caress me life

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Been looking for a single male Moose of any star quality for its antlers for a solid 2 hours now. None of the spawn points have them. gently caress me life

I went the whole game without seeing a single male moose, despite attempting several hunting trips for just that purpose.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.
How do you pull a knife/gun during a fist fight? I've tried opening up the weapon wheel during fights but the button does nothing. One time I managed to pull out my revolver while fighting 2 dudes and just straight up pistol whipped both of them but have never done it again.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Yeah I looked like half the day yesterday and didn’t see a single drat moose. Got a lot of other trapper stuff knocked off my list though! That spot in the far NE where there are supposedly moose sometimes is a great hunting ground.

Also there was a guy panning for gold by the river and I hung around until he got a nugget and started to take off and I robbed him.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

DrNutt posted:

I ended up parking my horse right next to the lady and as soon as the stabbing animation finished I jumped onto my horse and shot the ambushers with the semi auto shotgun in Deadeye. Helped that this time there weren't a bunch of trees in the way at the encounter location.

If the guide hadn't told me that finishing this encounter unlocks a stranger mission I would've just shot her and be on my way.

Aranan posted:

Yeah they're all supposed to have dialogue after you finish one of their requests but it's pretty generic thank you stuff. I had Charles bug out on me in a similar fashion when I gave him oleander for poison arrows.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

popewiles posted:

I went the whole game without seeing a single male moose, despite attempting several hunting trips for just that purpose.

They're real, and they're incredible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnknownMercenary posted:

If the guide hadn't told me that finishing this encounter unlocks a stranger mission I would've just shot her and be on my way.

Well my anxiety levels sure just spiked. Gotta see all that content :f5:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

How do you pull a knife/gun during a fist fight? I've tried opening up the weapon wheel during fights but the button does nothing. One time I managed to pull out my revolver while fighting 2 dudes and just straight up pistol whipped both of them but have never done it again.

... should just be the normal way through the weapon wheel. Alternatively just try tapping the button so you can unholster? Haven't really run into this issue outside of certain things that are supposed to be fist fights so you can't pull out (drunken bar brawl scene, maybe that giant dude in the mud in Valentine dunno didn't try).

But yeah it's pretty fun pistol whipping someone then when they stumble back in pain/surprise if you pull the trigger again Arthur sticks his gun up under their chin and fires.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DrNutt posted:

They're real, and they're incredible.

I'm making a 100% save from scratch and saw plenty the first run, none this time.

Google says missing moose are fairly common so it might be a bug :v:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

CBJSprague24 posted:

What's the difference between the standard game and the PS4 Steelbook edition? Walmart apparently has the Steelbook for $60 for Black Friday and that's going to be the "deal". Does it come with any freebies or is it just a cashgrab by R* by selling you a game in (presumably) a metal box.

It has everything from the special edition plus some online content including a couple of outfits, a black Chestnut horse, a saddle, a theme for your camp, a level booster, and free access to the preorder guns from single-player (pump action, volcanic pistol, etc.)

E: provided that "steelbook edition" is the same thing as the ultimate edition. All the extras are for red dead online so if your not into that then there's no point unless you really want the steelbook

titties fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 17, 2018

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Braithwates also got oxen.

Anyone else think the complete lack of backstory for him suggests RDR3 will be young Uncle in the old old west?

Sadie, Josiah or Charles would be cooler. But Uncle just seems more likely given the blank book past and him being old enough to have lived in the peak of the west which seems like where they'd go next.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK7F0J3Vv0c&t=607s

Man, there's extra bits of backstory dialogue you can see from the Aberdeen Pig Farm 'couple' that kind of explains more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On Chapter 6 now and nearing the end of the stroyline. Game is still beyond amazing and my favorite game of the year. Possibly one of my top 5 favorite games ever? I think I'll need to wait for Red Dead Online to determine that though.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Are some of the legendary fish somewhat...unremarkable? Specifically thinking of the Legendary Chain Pickerel and the Legendary Perch. Is it possible to catch ones of those that are bigger than a few oz.? I know some of the other legendary fish are huge.

client
Aug 19, 2010

Untrustable posted:

Is there any other good creepy side stuff like the spoilered bit?

Some of the creepy poo poo I've seen:

Aberdeen farm
The Murfee brood cave
The weird noises and voice coming from the barn at a place called Firewood Rise (still haven't figured this one out)
The outhouse on the Braithwaite property
Everything night folk related
A random encounter with a hunter way in the north who needs help finding his friend (stick around after helping out)

Game does horror stuff really well

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Steak posted:

Are some of the legendary fish somewhat...unremarkable? Specifically thinking of the Legendary Chain Pickerel and the Legendary Perch. Is it possible to catch ones of those that are bigger than a few oz.? I know some of the other legendary fish are huge.

The legendary sockeye salmon in lake isabella is huge, around 25 kg. Only fish so far that was able to snap my line (first try). Muskie is pretty big, but not nearly as heavy as the sockeye.

Was preparing for a long struggle during my second try with the salmon, but I got lucky when it hooked relatively close to shore and then second time it struggled made a beeline towards me and the “shore” (ice float). Whole thing was over in less than 30 seconds.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 17, 2018

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

client posted:

A random encounter with a hunter way in the north who needs help finding his friend (stick around after helping out)

poo poo, I did this one but I don't think I stuck around after. Care to spoil?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

client posted:

Some of the creepy poo poo I've seen:

Aberdeen farm
The Murfee brood cave
The weird noises and voice coming from the barn at a place called Firewood Rise (still haven't figured this one out)
The outhouse on the Braithwaite property
Everything night folk related

Game does horror stuff really well

I haven’t seen it myself, only on a video but apparently there’s a ufo and it’s framed really creepily from inside a half torn down cabin

client
Aug 19, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

poo poo, I did this one but I don't think I stuck around after. Care to spoil?

while he's crying over his dead friend a grizzly bear charges out of nowhere and absolutely mauls the gently caress out of him.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Holy poo poo you can get struck by lightning.

https://youtu.be/Cy8RzrnrrfU

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

I lost a good horse because I boarded a train, it followed and went flying off a bridge trying to chase the train.

New horse, if I hitch it and then board a train, horse still follows the train, I don't want it to die. I've also tried telling the horse to flee, but still does his best to run along side the train. Any way to get him to stop?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

BigHandsVince posted:

I lost a good horse because I boarded a train, it followed and went flying off a bridge trying to chase the train.

New horse, if I hitch it and then board a train, horse still follows the train, I don't want it to die. I've also tried telling the horse to flee, but still does his best to run along side the train. Any way to get him to stop?

Try targeting him and telling him to stay.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I spent a week in-game away from camp hunting birds and eventually Bill came to find me and asked me what the gently caress was going on. This game. :allears:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

The Fool posted:

As of today "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" is on Netflix.

this movie is almost as good as simply playing RDR2 iteself lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thief posted:

this movie is almost as good as simply playing RDR2 iteself lmao

It's so good. It's like a series of Coen brothers RDR stranger films. I loved the gold prospector one.