Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Donovan Trip posted:

How man days until the few people who bought this realize it's a bit off? A week? I read a review from someone who started playing in the Xbox beta (arguably the most experience with the game) that stated "it was easier for me to acknowledge that I'm an alcoholic than it was to admit to myself I do not enjoy the new fallout game"

I think everyone here has realized this, but are still having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It is literally fallout 4 without an awful story.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pretend i brought up the modern warfare 2 boycott but instead it's a screenshot of everybody on my friends list not playing fallout 76

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I miss Cyberpunkey Monkey's posts

I really liked it when he got super mad any time the thread started talking about New Vegas

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

lol metacritic score.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Bought it, played about a dozen hours.

Seemed like it might be fun, and there's the makings of something genuinely good here.

But the bugs and some of the design decisions and lovely enemy AI ruined any chance I would've had.

Not the worst game I ever bought, but it sucks and I wish I hadnt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tenzarin posted:

yeah. and everything i hear is the story(the backround lore and places) is pretty fun and interesting.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

kedo posted:

So I foolishly bought this game but have only played it for a couple of hours. A question for folks who have played longer, does it ever get even remotely difficult? The biggest, most intense fights I've been involved with were... just bad.

If you're up against leaders and legionaries it sometimes can be. The lack of meaningful death penalty makes it a bit moot though.

The closest thing to meaningful death penalty are some dungeons and nuke silos though that if you die in it you need to run back down a ways into it to get your poo poo.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 17, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is better than Fallout 4, but that's a very low bar, and it's only better because it doesn't even bother with the aspects of Fallout 4 that really sucked (the NPCs and "HAVE YOU SEEN MY SON?"). A Fallout-themed Rust, that's accurate. It's not a game you should buy at $60. It needs mod support, and private servers where you can put those mods, badly.

The human interaction you were supposed to get is nil if you didn't bring friends along, which I imagine most posters here didn't. Players typically avoid each other unless a bounty is involved, which can happen accidentally in my experience. Someone took the time to chase me down after I got a 10 cap bounty from I don't even know how. It's possible I damaged a mine someone owned when I threw a grenade, or something.

It's got some early kinks that need to be fixed/modded out, but they aren't horrific.

It's a decent exploration experience, but a lot of the dungeons are balanced for a group of at least 2-3 people to hit, so be prepared for a lot of ghouls with guns.

The game starts as being more difficult than any other Fallout game (monsters that are usually an afterthought are a serious concern, all your poo poo breaks, and you need to consume food/water pretty consistently), but the supplies you need will just fall into your lap after following quests for a while. Now that I have lead belly 3 the experience is very chill. Before long you'll have effectively infinite hunting rifle ammo, and it's really not hard to boil water.

The missing NPCs are a very big gap, and they aren't even really gone--you just have a ponderous number of voice recordings that sound like they were made 10 minutes before you got there, and even robot vendors and allies. The lack of NPCs feels more like "this is what survival game players expect, so we can save budget by leaving NPCs out" than a real design choice.

The new leveling system is more interesting than in previous 3D fallouts, for what that's worth, but it's not incredibly intuitive at first. I also don't know that it has a ton of replayability. Forced real-time combat makes the jank of 3D Fallout's combat more of an issue than before.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah my feelings on this game are weird. Like it’s objectively not that great and definitely like a 6.5/10. I stand by my review earlier that it’s the worst Fallout game and it’s maybe ok as a game at best. But at the same time I can’t stop playing it because it scratches an itch to explore, loot, and homestead in the wasteland. It’s definitely more than the sum of its parts, but I definitely wish they’d skipped the “multiplayer” bit and the excuse decision to not have human NPCs. The passive world building is well done and the desolate atmosphere is cool, but at the same time it just feels weird knowing that there are literally no other survivors besides other players that you almost never see. The lack of human NPCs also doesn’t feel organic, whoever said everything feels like you just missed everyone by 10 minutes was spot on.

If they’d just done a more traditional single-player Fallout with some NPCs and less MMO-ish jank (minimum levels on weapons lol) it’d be a solid 8+. It feels like they had to sacrifice too much in order to integrate multiplayer into Fallout.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FairGame posted:

Bought it, played about a dozen hours.

Seemed like it might be fun, and there's the makings of something genuinely good here.

But the bugs and some of the design decisions and lovely enemy AI ruined any chance I would've had.

Not the worst game I ever bought, but it sucks and I wish I hadnt.

Do you want to own a Tesla?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My favourite thing about Fallout games is wandering around desolate areas and learning about what happened there so in that way I love this game

In every other way, ehhhhhhh

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The two things I genuinely like about this game are that many of the holotapes are legitimately good once you get past how bafflingly bad they are implemented in the game and the perk card system is actually super fun and a good balence between railroaded development and total randomness.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Killing a Wendigo dressed as a Clown is the best Quest

Heck, there should be a dead clown right outside the Vault so you can start the game off right

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Tenzarin posted:

After playing for, I don’t know, long enough to hit level 19-20, a part of me is actively thinking “gently caress, it’s maybe time to just play Fallout 4 again” and I can’t imagine that’s what they were going for.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had fun and will probably have more! but it definitely doesn’t scratch the same itch. Even exploration occasionally pisses me off. I’ll see some landmark on the map, get all prepared to go aaaand gently caress. There’s already somebody there. Guess I’ll try to switch servers? (I don’t want to be somewhere somebody’s just been/currently is goddamnit.)

Conversely, there’ll be an event going on that’s clearly designed for a team and I can’t do it because nobody else is interested. I’m not sure if they just expected random people would naturally converge on that poo poo or what but I haven’t personally seen it happen outside of the starting areas.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Really really dumb costumes really do facilitate conversation.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

KirbyKhan posted:

I get lots of comments about my clown costume and frequently other players stop to stare at my feet in game.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

KirbyKhan posted:

its sad finding suitcases that normally always had clothes in them in fallout 4 and instead apparently everyone was a scientist carrying around suitcases full of beakers

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My new least favorite thing: if you are playing PC on the controller and get to a text prompt like naming a blueprint you have to go to the keyboard to type. I have my computer in an entire different room from the tv I play controller PC games on.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Hakarne posted:

I stand by my review earlier that it’s the worst Fallout game and it’s maybe ok as a game at best.

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Yeah I read about that, but I can't find developer confirmation whether that was the intended effect or not. I mean, I think it was a mistake, but then why wasn't it patched? Blind ghost people would completely change how the dlc played, it's hard to imagine they wouldn't have caught it even before release.
I would guess it was originally an accident but was kept because it improved the atmosphere of the whole DLC. Is RopeKid still around? He might know.

Terminal autist posted:

I believe console exclusive red dead redemption 2 has an fov slider so id imagine another triple a developer would be able to implement it
*smugly modifies ini file*

kedo posted:

So I foolishly bought this game but have only played it for a couple of hours. A question for folks who have played longer, does it ever get even remotely difficult?
I've died a bunch of times by rushing into confined areas with no idea of how drastically I was going to be swarmed and not had time to reload my shotgun; the other situations were being ~L15 and shooting at two L50 Super Mutants before realizing that there were actually a mob of 10 L50 super mutants, half of them legendary, or being swarmed with much higher level bloodbugs and not having a melee weapon on me.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Plasma weapons still pass through enemies doing zero damage. Insane to me how this got past Q&A.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Prophecy120 posted:

Plasma weapons still pass through enemies doing zero damage. Insane to me how this got past Q&A.

hahahaha you think they QA it.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

The inventory limitations are really torturous, I play fallout games just hoovering everything up, just throwing junk and ammo on the ground is killing me.

One fun quirk I've found is that you can store all your power cores in the frame so they dont take up space in your inventory.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I'm afraid to say that I agree with the "Do Not Buy This" camp :-(
I had been incredibly lucky (it would seem) all through the "beta" phase, and only had the water texture bug (either no texture, or solid white) which was fixed.
Since release, holy poo poo.
CTD's, game won't exit, terrible storage cap etc etc etc

I've been trying to make the best of it, and just enjoy the Fallout feel. I've been enjoying wandering about, doing quests and expanding my camp (industrial water purifier ftw!).

But I have to say, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be bothered. Everything is just so tedious, and I'm getting fed up with hoping the server synchs with my progress before it crashes.

I just had a colossal fight with super mutants and robo-vertibirds, even managing to loot the cargo-bot and GTFO, until.....<server is not responding, controls frozen>......repeat....repeat.....<you have been disconnected>
All the loot....gone. There's nothing there to show what happened; no smoking debris, no corpses.

In honesty, it's not that I lost the loot...it's that I had this amazing game sequence, got through by the skin of my teeth; it was tense and exciting....and then....nothing. It never happened as far as the game is concerned.

In short, wait for Fallout 5. You're not missing much.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Prophecy120 posted:

You are the QA, drongo

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

so to be clear do all plasma weapons just straight not function? lol

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Namaer posted:

The inventory limitations are really torturous, I play fallout games just hoovering everything up, just throwing junk and ammo on the ground is killing me.

One fun quirk I've found is that you can store all your power cores in the frame so they dont take up space in your inventory.

No no no no no no no, no! I've seen threads where people lose all their cores like this. Not sure what it was but don't do it :p Test it with 2 if you really have to

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
I assume no Steam (to avoid the wave of refunds) and no early review copies (bad movie release scheme 101) point to the same amount of faith in this + desire to soak up sweet pre-order cash. I wonder at which of Gabe's holiday wallet destroyers this will be $20 trying to lure us into some DLC nonsense?

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Idk, was working fine earlier. Power cores aren't really a valuable commodity when you memorize where the frames are and you can just go pick up more whenever.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Hey so- The only thing stopping me from getting this is hearing that there is a significant lag/decrease in quality in the ps4 pro. Was I just hearing things? It seems like a game I'd enjoy but not if it's a stuttery mess. :ohdear:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Some time in 2010 we were all locked into a vault and wired up to an alternate reality matrix in which video game companies are doing an experiment to see how little content they can provide for maximum price and profits. We have been living in this simulation since that time, unbeknownst to us. The companies are laughing as they perform these calculations and write things down on clip boards. I have no wallet and I must pay to beta test.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

How man days until the few people who bought this realize it's a bit off? A week? I read a review from someone who started playing in the Xbox beta (arguably the most experience with the game) that stated "it was easier for me to acknowledge that I'm an alcoholic than it was to admit to myself I do not enjoy the new fallout game"

We realize it already, but it’s not like this is the first awful game I’ve got hooked on.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This game seems like a disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZM18ZK9mOY

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I get the feeling this is the sort of game that I'd waste a lot of time on really trying to enjoy it because it should be my ideal game but just getting more and more frustrated by how poo poo it is.

Can anyone recommend some decent, relatively unknown and chilled streamers who stream this game so I can let someone else get frustrated for me?

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The only way this is an ok game is if you treat it like FO4 and borderlands had an ugly baby. Bring some buddies and play it like FO4 and you'll have a fun time, otherwise, unless you really enjoy stuff like the Cambridge Polymer Labs, skip this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What really bugs me is it was only announced 6 months ago.

Like they had to know it wasn't going to be ready in 6 months.

What exactly did they have in their hands 6 months ago to say "yup, this is going to be a $60 product in 6 months"?

It just feels like pure cynical greed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol, if your Power Armor is running low, quitting to the main menu and rejoining will refill your Power Core to max.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

toiletbrush posted:

I get the feeling this is the sort of game that I'd waste a lot of time on really trying to enjoy it because it should be my ideal game but just getting more and more frustrated by how poo poo it is.

Can anyone recommend some decent, relatively unknown and chilled streamers who stream this game so I can let someone else get frustrated for me?

Oxhorn is streaming it rn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqNmnyt7SMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I just freed watoga. My problem with the inventory is now x80 times bigger than before. I have a lot of freaking cool weapons, and nowhere to put them, so I have with me all the time.

Now that I have a full upgraded t-60 armour... is actually kinda useful. I trough I would hate it, but I am using it all the time to increase my survavality. So much that when I am outside, is like spoiler mode in warframe.

As for that... I can be invisible just by not moving. I have stacked a lot of "rogue" powers on my charater.