Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
You know, that may sound stupid, but people are always suggesting that hugely fat people "just stop eating" as if that wouldn't gently caress their bodies up. (Your body stores calories efficiently in fat; micronutrients not so much.)

I assume that the letter-writer had received that brilliant advice. Fortunately he or she at least had the sense to check with an actual doctor, even a newspaper doctor.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1008864025269145602

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

You know, that may sound stupid, but people are always suggesting that hugely fat people "just stop eating" as if that wouldn't gently caress their bodies up. (Your body stores calories efficiently in fat; micronutrients not so much.)

I assume that the letter-writer had received that brilliant advice. Fortunately he or she at least had the sense to check with an actual doctor, even a newspaper doctor.

No one has ever suggested that a fat person should stop literally intaking any food until they become thin.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

GrossMurpel posted:

No one has ever suggested that a fat person should stop literally intaking any food until they become thin.

:wrong:

In 1965 a man suggested he do this to himself. He dropped from 486 lbs to 180 lbs.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

GrossMurpel posted:

Absolutely they do. Not anyone with a brain cell to spare, but you see it all the time in the idiotariat. And then there's this delightful variation.

Yes, under medical supervision. You can't just wing it.

Even under medical supervision, there were sudden deaths during the brief time that medically supervised starvation was advocated as a treatment for obesity. This article discusses one possible explanation. A contemporary look at complications.

By the mid-70s, "therapeutic starvation" had given way to medically supervised very low calorie diets, usually supplemented by micronutrients. These absolutely can be successful for highly motivated people.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Nov 16, 2018

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

haha see you assholes at nurnberg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Former DILF posted:

haha see you assholes at nurnberg

so you refuse to see them :confused:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:barf:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/16/teens-are-now-getting-drunk-on-boiled-tampon-juice/

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Jenkem 2.0

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

They are getting a buzz from the the go to poison gas from the First World War... chlorine. :350:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

not sure about boiling drunk sanitary pads (which would literally remove any last drop of alcohol if even any had made it through the digestive tract) also there used to be a joke in my country about soaking a tampon in pure alcohol and then jamming it in your rear end.

i was later told that sockless rubber boots full of booze were more effective because of the thin skin between your toes

jeez, really... my soution is maybe just drink it idk

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Krankenstyle posted:

not sure about boiling drunk sanitary pads (which would literally remove any last drop of alcohol if even any had made it through the digestive tract) also there used to be a joke in my country about soaking a tampon in pure alcohol and then jamming it in your rear end.

i was later told that sockless rubber boots full of booze were more effective because of the thin skin between your toes

i used to date a chemistry major who used to talk about wanting to fill a bucket with DMSO and everclear and have people stick their hand in it

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
For those of us who don't know what DMSO is this is what Wikipedia has to say

quote:

Use of DMSO in medicine dates from around 1963, when an Oregon Health & Science University Medical School team, headed by Stanley Jacob, discovered it could penetrate the skin and other membranes without damaging them and could carry other compounds into a biological system.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Krankenstyle posted:

If you read the article, they are basically getting high of the chlorine in the pads used to keep them sterile. Thus the World War One comment.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The one weird trick to getting drunk in high school! The Kaiser hates this!

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Sex Hobbit posted:

i used to date a chemistry major who used to talk about wanting to fill a bucket with DMSO and everclear and have people stick their hand in it

I would totally volunteer for this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always did like the smell of a swimming pool.

Well, most of them. Saltwater swimming pools are a thing. They're quite nice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The characteristic smell of a swimming pool isn’t chlorine itself. You’re smelling the chloramines created when chlorine reacts with urine, sweat, and some other things.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dulce et decorum est pro inebriata labori

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Counting the days until someone figures out how to get high off my vomit.
I'll be one sick billionaire.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

dulce et decorum est pro inebriata labori

My limited latin informs me this translates to "it's a beautiful thing to be drunk at work"

don't ruin this for me nerds

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://people.com/politics/donald-trump-maureen-scalia-medal-of-freedom-joke/

Trump gives award to Scalia’s widow, makes crude joke about their sex life

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

https://people.com/politics/donald-trump-maureen-scalia-medal-of-freedom-joke/

Trump gives award to Scalia’s widow, makes crude joke about their sex life

If anyone deserves to be mocked in death it's Scalia

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Turkey who became mayor of town is wanted by police for chasing schoolchildren

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Another elected official outed as a pedo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually misread that as being about a Turkish mayor at first and it was way less funny

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Phlegmish posted:

I actually misread that as being about a Turkish mayor at first and it was way less funny

Love it when it's not just me lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Love it when it's not just me lol

:same:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

I dunno the idea of a Turkish mayor literally chasing a group of schoolchildren down the street like pedo Pepe la Pew is kind of funny in the abstract

His handlers all being like “Mr Mayor!! Not again!!!”

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

yeah I'm not Googling that.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
https://twitter.com/CNET/status/1060980106687139840?s=19

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I knew it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KBAndersen/status/1064336373803610112

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Production assistant, in green room: Can I get you anything, maybe a coke?
High lady: No thanks, I brought my own.

~Fin~

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Terminally woke person: Furries are people too

Furries: No we're not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos