Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

BobKnob posted:

Do pelts you give the camp for crafting count for the outfits and saddles that the Trader makes?

No. Completely separate. Shame that camp upgrades (other than satchel) are worthless, I spend approx 1 second out of every hour in the camp. Wow. A fancy rug. Yes let me grind for hours looking for perfect pelts for something I can't even wear :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Is there any way to peacefully resolve those random encounters with (usually) one person in a camp in the wilderness who says something like "I don't like strangers, get outta here"?

I've tried hitting the 'defuse' chat button many times but they always end up with holes in their forehead.

Also, semi-auto shotgun is loving beast mode for all indoor gunfights.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Junior G-man posted:

Is there any way to peacefully resolve those random encounters with (usually) one person in a camp in the wilderness who says something like "I don't like strangers, get outta here"?

Yes, there is a peaceful way top resolve those encounters. You leave and get on with your business.

Do you mean "Is there a peaceful way I can go and take his stuff?" Then no. Just man up, shoot him and accept that you're hella evil.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Junior G-man posted:

I've tried hitting the 'defuse' chat button many times but they always end up with holes in their forehead.

still very early in the game but doesnt seem like it to me. also after getting ambushed a few times in an area with no cover and getting wrecked in like 2 seconds i instictivly just start shooting first.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I've encountered one campsite where one dude was: get away you fucker! :argh:
But the other went: no wait, maybe he can help us.
And then they actually started talking to me. So don't shoot too fast? Idk

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You got ages to figure out if a camper is friendly and the ones that don't want you will just start yelling.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are there any friendly campfires? Pretty sure in the original you could stop at many of them to save, now they all seem to be hostile?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are there any friendly campfires? Pretty sure in the original you could stop at many of them to save, now they all seem to be hostile?

Plenty of people will say take a seat, but the majority feel like campers not interested in friends (which is fair enough).

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

I've encountered one campsite where one dude was: get away you fucker! :argh:
But the other went: no wait, maybe he can help us.
And then they actually started talking to me. So don't shoot too fast? Idk

Yeah - I think that may be the moonshiners, they're a repeat random encounter who are looking for plants (minor spoiler). They're the first people I met coming out of the mountains and prologue, and I still love them.

Funso Banjo posted:

Yes, there is a peaceful way top resolve those encounters. You leave and get on with your business.

Do you mean "Is there a peaceful way I can go and take his stuff?" Then no. Just man up, shoot him and accept that you're hella evil.

No I justed wanted to have a chat with him and share my chewing tobacco or something. Plus, as above, some of them end up offering you miniquests or something.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The moonshiners have been the only friendly camp I've encountered. Pretty much every other time it's people who will aggro on you if you stay too long.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yes

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Finally got me a good chapter 4 souvenir; the Lemoyne Raider officers' hat - the shiny one that stays in your inventory.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I guess I'm too slow at random camps. I'll walk up, they'll tell me to gently caress off, and I'll get on my horse and go away only for them to start shooting at me while I'm a good distance away. It hurts my honor but I make it a point to to back and brutally murder them.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

There's a couple other camps that I'm not sure are random or not where there's a hunter who says he usually doesn't hate people but ok fine you can stay. He then started talking to me about some crap but then while I was just sitting on a chair he kind of got upset about something, maybe my horse bumped into something, and he got up and onto his horse and rode off. I'm not sure if it was just a random camp or if something bugged out. I don't remember seeing a grey dot on the map, but I don't use the radar and just the companion app so I'm not always looking.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Actually never mind I did find a camp that was friendly and it turned out the guy was a peeping tom. I thought it might've been a house robbery tipoff but I wasn't paying close attention.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it still fun to play high-honor? I know I've heard a lot about how the game's wanted system and NPC reactions make it a huge pain in the rear end to try to go for high honor (and not in a way that feels like an intentional statement about the price of playing fair) but I'm not sure if that's overblown. Just got to Valentine so I'm super early on.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I met a random camper near Rhodes who was a CW vet and had PTSD. I say with him while he drank himself to sleep.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is it still fun to play high-honor? I know I've heard a lot about how the game's wanted system and NPC reactions make it a huge pain in the rear end to try to go for high honor (and not in a way that feels like an intentional statement about the price of playing fair) but I'm not sure if that's overblown. Just got to Valentine so I'm super early on.

going for high honor is exceedingly easy and offers the only rewards, it's staying at low honor that's a pain in the rear end because you are endlessly besieged by waves of psychic lawmen whenever you have a high bounty in a region

just don't go all Joel Glanton on innocent settlements and you'll be fine

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

going for high honor is exceedingly easy and offers the only rewards, it's staying at low honor that's a pain in the rear end because you are endlessly besieged by waves of psychic lawmen whenever you have a high bounty in a region

Oh huh, I thought I heard that it's really easy to accidentally do a crime and be hounded by lawmen forever but if you go low honor you're also hounded by lawmen but now you get to rob people all the time

Not sure where I got that impression though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Harrow posted:

It's fine yeah. I've been doing high honor. Honor is really easy to get (and lose) so if you decide to go on a crime spree and lose a bunch of honor you can just get it back quickly by donating to camp or all sorts of other poo poo (just ride through St. Denis saying hi to everyone or catch and release fish or something.) Plus by the time it matters, Chapter 6, there are a fuckton of sidequests that open up that can bring you from full dishonor to full honor without issue.

If you really care about keeping it super high ALWAYS NONSTOP it'll be a bit frustrating for you, so my suggestion is "don't worry if it dips, it's easy to bring back up."

Edit:

Harrow posted:

Oh huh, I thought I heard that it's really easy to accidentally do a crime and be hounded by lawmen forever but if you go low honor you're also hounded by lawmen but now you get to rob people all the time

It is easy, but just go pay the loving bounty off or turn yourself into the sheriff if it's not a terrible bounty and then it goes away. And don't shoot your way out of trouble if you get into it, just get on your horse and ride the gently caress away if some bullshit happens and you're suddenly wanted. By the time you're done with Chapter 3 you'll have more money than you can ever reasonably spend even with paying off bounties that you accidentally get here or there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

It's fine yeah. I've been doing high honor. Honor is really easy to get (and lose) so if you decide to go on a crime spree and lose a bunch of honor you can just get it back quickly by donating to camp or all sorts of other poo poo (just ride through St. Denis saying hi to everyone or catch and release fish or something.) Plus by the time it matters, Chapter 6, there are a fuckton of sidequests that open up that can bring you from full dishonor to full honor without issue.

If you really care about keeping it super high ALWAYS NONSTOP it'll be a bit frustrating for you, so my suggestion is "don't worry if it dips, it's easy to bring back up."

Oh cool, if it's really swingy then I won't worry about it so much. Hey, if nothing else it seems in-character for Arthur to slip up even when he's trying to be nice :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Untrustable posted:

I guess I'm too slow at random camps. I'll walk up, they'll tell me to gently caress off, and I'll get on my horse and go away only for them to start shooting at me while I'm a good distance away. It hurts my honor but I make it a point to to back and brutally murder them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

the main issue is that you can get the law on you for a number of very petty reasons up to and including Looking At Me, Pardner, and if you happen to just gun down someone in the wilderness then the game nearly always insta-spawns a witness nearby to run off in horror and contact the police with fearsome prairie telepathy

for all the game's tiresome focus on realism the omnipresent psychic cops are the same as ever and it's very jarring

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Harrow posted:

Oh cool, if it's really swingy then I won't worry about it so much. Hey, if nothing else it seems in-character for Arthur to slip up even when he's trying to be nice :v:

It was bothering me a lot early in the game until I realized it wasn't a big deal. And yeah it does make sense. Just make sure to understand that self defense is not an excuse in this game, if a bunch of O'Driscolls start shooting you in town, don't shoot back. And don't loot bodies where anyone might see you (and don't loot innocents at all because it's an honor hit on top of a possible crime).

Edit: Also the mask/bandana is effective on anyone who isn't considered "law enforcement" so just make sure to gently caress off out of the area before any show up if you were wearing the mask while committing crimes. Some crimes it won't help at all, though, I think. But you can shoot someone in the face with witnesses while wearing a mask and so long as you're gone from the area before lawmen show up, you won't be identified. The confusing bit is that anyone counting as a lawman can see through the mask, and that includes like train guards and such. They are also on some sort of hive mind so even if you shoot them right after they identify you and before they could tell anyone, you have a bounty.

ssb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 19, 2018

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

the main issue is that you can get the law on you for a number of very petty reasons up to and including Looking At Me, Pardner, and if you happen to just gun down someone in the wilderness then the game nearly always insta-spawns a witness nearby to run off in horror and contact the police with fearsome prairie telepathy

for all the game's tiresome focus on realism the omnipresent psychic cops are the same as ever and it's very jarring

The only time I felt I genuinely deserved was when I was exploring along the northeast river near the fall for the first time in the pouring rain, got into a gunfight and thought it'd dispose of the body over a ledge. Turns out the ledge was just steep enough to roll the corpse on one of the main roads just below. So I intimidated the witness, but then there were two witnesses for me beating on some rando and the whole thing snowballed from there.

It was only much later when I found the original corpse on the road that I realised what I'd done.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So i just decided to do some treasure maps and the one you get in limpanny is loving worth it. gently caress ever worrying about money goddamn

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Killed Billy Midnight on top of the train as it rode into St. Denis. Explored the city a bit, fixed up my guns, and then I’m riding back to camp through the bayou and my attention is drawn to some strange fruit swinging from a tree... and I suddenly get mobbed by loving zombie swamp people who promptly stab the poo poo out of me.

Holy crap. This game is great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

It was bothering me a lot early in the game until I realized it wasn't a big deal. And yeah it does make sense. Just make sure to understand that self defense is not an excuse in this game, if a bunch of O'Driscolls start shooting you in town, don't shoot back. And don't loot bodies where anyone might see you (and don't loot innocents at all because it's an honor hit on top of a possible crime).

I'm assuming shooting back if some O'Driscolls attack you in town would be a crime but not an honor hit? But looting innocents would be bad for your honor but only a crime if someone witnesses it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I came across a dude camping and he invited me to sit with him and told me about what I assume is the Aberdeen pig farm. Still haven't found it on the map, but he was really nice. There was another camp where a guy told me to take whatever I needed. Friendly people out there.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

shortspecialbus posted:

Edit:

It is easy, but just go pay the loving bounty off or turn yourself into the sheriff if it's not a terrible bounty and then it goes away. And don't shoot your way out of trouble if you get into it, just get on your horse and ride the gently caress away if some bullshit happens and you're suddenly wanted. By the time you're done with Chapter 3 you'll have more money than you can ever reasonably spend even with paying off bounties that you accidentally get here or there.

I'm pretty sure you can turn yourself at a police station no matter how awful the bounty is just by walking up to a cop and antagonizing them a few times; it's only that after a certain point cops will shoot to kill (or if you already have your weapon drawn). It doesn't work if you put a town into lockdown though (the area is marked in red on the map) because cops will be instantly aggroed. This also applies to bounty hunters to a certain extent; I let a group wander up on me at a $400 bounty and because my gun was holstered they gave me the option to go peacefully, which I did not take.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I came across a dude camping and he invited me to sit with him and told me about what I assume is the Aberdeen pig farm. Still haven't found it on the map, but he was really nice. There was another camp where a guy told me to take whatever I needed. Friendly people out there.

These dudes generally leave a perfect pelt or two hanging in the camp btw. Semi easy to miss

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

UnknownMercenary posted:

The moonshiners have been the only friendly camp I've encountered. Pretty much every other time it's people who will aggro on you if you stay too long.

There’s a real friendly house where a brother and sister live...you’re welcome to stay as long as you like, come on now friend stay a while have a drink

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

These dudes generally leave a perfect pelt or two hanging in the camp btw. Semi easy to miss

I saw pelts and it gave me the option to cut them down. Didn't realize they were perfect. I left them alone.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Harrow posted:

Play as low honor as you wish, chapter 6 is where you really decide whether Arthur's a good dude or not
E: poo poo i really should refresh before posting

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Somebody in Saint Denis randomly died and I get blamed for it. I've killed tons of civilians but don't loving ding me for one I didn't do.

e: I had 2 horses full of pelts to sell to the trapper and even though I was sticking to the roads I guess the horse following me trampled someone somehow? That'd be my best guess but still that's incredibly lovely. loving shithole city.

Seems people just got a habit of dyin'round you, pardner.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm assuming shooting back if some O'Driscolls attack you in town would be a crime but not an honor hit? But looting innocents would be bad for your honor but only a crime if someone witnesses it.

Pretty much yes although I think it can turn into an honor hit if you run from the law that will inevitably spawn on you. I'm not positive on that, it's kind of confusing. It's not worth worrying about though.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm pretty sure you can turn yourself at a police station no matter how awful the bounty is just by walking up to a cop and antagonizing them a few times; it's only that after a certain point cops will shoot to kill (or if you already have your weapon drawn). It doesn't work if you put a town into lockdown though (the area is marked in red on the map) because cops will be instantly aggroed. This also applies to bounty hunters to a certain extent; I let a group wander up on me at a $400 bounty and because my gun was holstered they gave me the option to go peacefully, which I did not take.

That sounds right, yeah. Do you know how much money they'll take if you didn't donate it all to camp or spend it before you do this? I always got rid of my money before doing it so I don't actually know.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

shortspecialbus posted:

Pretty much yes although I think it can turn into an honor hit if you run from the law that will inevitably spawn on you. I'm not positive on that, it's kind of confusing. It's not worth worrying about though.

That sounds right, yeah. Do you know how much money they'll take if you didn't donate it all to camp or spend it before you do this? I always got rid of my money before doing it so I don't actually know.

Running from the law doesn't ding honor: fighting back does.

How much money you lose will also depend on who gets you.

If it's the actual law you'll just lose a portion of your money. Think it could be 5 to 20% or just what your bounty is, not sure.

If bounty hunters get you their looting you of all your cash.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

My dumb level 4 Arabian seems to be in a constant state of panic lately. She's constantly snorting and whinnying no matter how many brushes she gets or how many oatcakes I cram in her mouth.

Any fun alternatives? I'd like a new horse with some weight. Are the warhorses only in the deluxe edition or can they be found/bought in the standard version?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hobo Clown posted:

My dumb level 4 Arabian seems to be in a constant state of panic lately. She's constantly snorting and whinnying no matter how many brushes she gets or how many oatcakes I cram in her mouth.

Any fun alternatives? I'd like a new horse with some weight. Are the warhorses only in the deluxe edition or can they be found/bought in the standard version?

No, you can find war horses in the wild. It's just the one you get for the expensive edition comes with really good stats.

Any Hungarian Halfbred, Mustang, Turkoman, Ardennes or Andalusian is considered a war horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Turkoman is the "best" War Horse. You can get them fairly regularly from that spot in St. Denis. Be warned that the named horses can show up in that spot (and you won't be able to keep them), and if you're early enough in the main story when you do this, there will be like a Gold Dappled Turkoman that won't have a name but you won't be able to keep it. You will be able to keep the Gold Turkoman though if you find it.