Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There are tons of good metal lyrics tbh all they have to do is fit the song not be literary masterpieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

That's true, and sometimes really good lyrics are being overlooked if the music is awesome enough

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite type of metal lyrics are the dumb people trying to sound smart variety where they use unnecessary big words and lots of passive voice

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most death metal lyrics are understandable if you read the lyrics along to the song, but I love how people praise Lord Worm for writing poetically macabre lyrics when it’s clear that he is not even trying to actually say those words.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Muppets On PCP posted:

who pays attention to metal lyrics they're all dumb as hell

This.

Who gives a poo poo. Hell, even in regular rock or pop, that poo poo doesn't matter for the most part. As long as it sounds good IMO.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Vintersorg posted:

This.

Who gives a poo poo. Hell, even in regular rock or pop, that poo poo doesn't matter for the most part. As long as it sounds good IMO.

That’s true, but the tough guy metal also sounds stupid. If you took pantera or avenged sevenfold and changed the words to bolt thrower lyrics they would still sound like lame posturing.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Literally the only death metal dude who's vocals I can understand without reading the lyrics are Mikael Akerfeldt(Opeth and early Bloodbath)'s growls. He had a weird way of having super brutal vocals but with good enunciation somehow. Too bad Opeth is trash now. Opeth is basically what got me into "extreme metal", so I will always love them for that at least.

I now listen to poo poo like Demilich and Dying Fetus, and can't understand a loving word but it rules anyway

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Malaria posted:

Literally the only death metal dude who's vocals I can understand without reading the lyrics are Mikael Akerfeldt(Opeth and early Bloodbath)'s growls. He had a weird way of having super brutal vocals but with good enunciation somehow. Too bad Opeth is trash now. Opeth is basically what got me into "extreme metal", so I will always love them for that at least.

I now listen to poo poo like Demilich and Dying Fetus, and can't understand a loving word but it rules anyway

Have you somehow not listened to Death? Chuck is just shouting. Most death metal from before around 1991 is perfectly intelligible.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you somehow not listened to Death? Chuck is just shouting. Most death metal from before around 1991 is perfectly intelligible.

I feel like Chuck is like pre "standard" death metal vocals though. Like by modern standards of what you would call "death metal vocals". He's easy to understand.

Death rules, don't get me wrong. But the growls got more unintelligible by bands influenced by Death.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

my favorite type of metal lyrics are the dumb people trying to sound smart variety where they use unnecessary big words and lots of passive voice

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Travis Ryan is the best 'i can somehow still understand what he's saying' vocalist imo

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

who pays attention to metal lyrics they're all dumb as hell

More or less anything written by Martin Walkyier serves as a counterexample.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Throwing Johan Hegg in the "dm vocalist that is super understandable" category. But melodeath in general has pretty audible pronunciation of the lyrics.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Frank Mullen is the king of clear death metal vocals.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm probably just being blind, but anyone know who Ghost are bringing out for tour support? It kicks off tonight and haven't seen anyone listed for any of the shows.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm probably just being blind, but anyone know who Ghost are bringing out for tour support? It kicks off tonight and haven't seen anyone listed for any of the shows.
It's just Ghost (they do play 2 sets, though).

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

A friend saw them a few weeks ago and ya it was just them with no opener.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh crazy. Better make sure my rear end turns up on time then! Thanks

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Frank Mullen is the king of clear death metal vocals.

I saw his last Suffo show in NYC this weekend, Frank loving owns.. was great to see a whole set of his own favorites. Cattle Decap and Krisiun crushed too just wish the sound guy had the volume up a little louder for them

kumba posted:

Travis Ryan is the best 'i can somehow still understand what he's saying' vocalist imo
He was really good too, there's something real nasty about his cleans as well

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Ne Obliviscaris has very clear, understandable growls. Also, a lot of Dallas Toler-Wade's stuff with Nile. Of course you still can't figure out a goddamn word Karl says without a lyric sheet.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Still fucks me up Dallas is gone. :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Marin Karin posted:

Still fucks me up Dallas is gone. :(

:yeah:

Still can’t wait to hear the new songs.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Most death metal lyrics are understandable if you read the lyrics along to the song, but I love how people praise Lord Worm for writing poetically macabre lyrics when it’s clear that he is not even trying to actually say those words.

It's all a part of the charm. I have found myself unable to care about Cryptopsy post None So Vile because the vocals have been too clear. I haven't listened to the album where Lord Worm came back, but by all accounts it wasn't as good musically.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Frank Caskelot posted:

It's all a part of the charm. I have found myself unable to care about Cryptopsy post None So Vile because the vocals have been too clear. I haven't listened to the album where Lord Worm came back, but by all accounts it wasn't as good musically.

It's pretty bland and he doesn't sound nearly as insane on it. Whisper Supremacy from the DiSalvo era is a pretty good tech death album that sounds like a completely different band. I haven't listened to any of the albums with the current frontman because the reception for The Unspoken King was so awful, but I've been told they got better.

As far as pushing the limits of the human voice None So Vile is one of the best vocal performances ever recorded.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As far as pushing the limits of the human voice None So Vile is one of the best vocal performances ever recorded.

Nothing has ever come close to that album for me. It sounds like an inhuman bestial sanity bending cacophony. I loving love it so much.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

NSV is an album that is eternally circle-jerkable and earned every stroke.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Sure thing, but I also believe Whisper Supermacy to be a masterpiece, even in the absence of lord worm

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Fenrir posted:

Ne Obliviscaris has very clear, understandable growls. Also, a lot of Dallas Toler-Wade's stuff with Nile. Of course you still can't figure out a goddamn word Karl says without a lyric sheet.

I'll be honest, I like Brian Kingsland (at least live) a lot more.

Here, check this poo poo out, any of it really but especially at 5:35. I mean goddamn, that's just beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of3KQRGjaCY

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 20, 2018

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Nazzadan posted:

:emptyquote:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

drat, NSV is actually in my car stereo right now waiting for the ride home :getin:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
this is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvYLDx2rDRU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is why I can’t hate Ghost.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's a hell of an image

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

:wow:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pretty cool that circuses are still going in the 21st century

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I saw ghost a few years back, but the new tour looks awesome. Would’ve preferred a few more older tracks in the set list but hey, I like all four albums.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ewZvhqEHw

So this is a local band(Kalamazoo, MI) I saw on Friday. I thought they were pretty cool live.

What do you guys think?

Kinda doomy/sludge stuff. I hate lyric videos though because metal lyrics are pretty much always bad, but whatever.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
:cheeky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVhdASCQJjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the goblin dude is basically the dancing guy from the mighty mighty bosstones