Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

This one's just ripping off Burn Notice:

Seriouspost: Not if that spy did their basic training, i.e. read this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast
no hes totally right shiny shoes = cop lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's the law that cops and spies gotta have shiny shoes

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

leethasbro posted:

Cops get discounts and vouchers for stuff from stores that sell tacticool equipment and clothing. They can't resist the Oakley's eyewear and boots.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Besesoth posted:

Huh, neat. And the sentence keeps working without the cultural knowledge, too, since "endeavor" as a verb just means "to work with purpose".

Nah, I made all that up, sorry.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hehe... shoes, huh? Wow that's... really. Excuse me

*struggles to crop pompoms off boots using comically oversize scissors*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just like cops, if you ask a spy if they are a spy they have to tell you. Otherwise it's entrapment and all the secrets they've gathered can't be used. So the easiest way to determine if someone is a spy is to simply ask them.

Heads up though, they are all really good at sarcasm, so even if they say yes it may sound like they really aren't.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

MariusLecter posted:

Cops get discounts and vouchers for stuff from stores that sell tacticool equipment and clothing. They can't resist the Oakley's eyewear and boots.

A childhood friend of mine is a cop and this is completely true. We gently caress with him about it all the time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

leethasbro posted:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

idgi, what's funny about this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

The fact that the job of "aerialist" still exists.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There's a lot of people that absolutely should get training on how to be aware of spies that don't, mostly civilian contractors for the government. These are people that have to be told that no, they can't go out to lunch and openly discuss classified work in a city known to have multiple companies with high level military contracts. They think spies only exist in movies and all carry pens that turn into guns, when really they're just randos paid by foreign governments to sit around places important people are likely to be.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
poo poo, how do I get that job?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

When I lived in Germany, the US TV station was run by the armed forces. One commercial I remember is one where kids in a cafe are saying things like "Dad's going to Sicily this week" while a shifty character takes notes.

Operational security: its everyone's job.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's a lot of people that absolutely should get training on how to be aware of spies that don't, mostly civilian contractors for the government. These are people that have to be told that no, they can't go out to lunch and openly discuss classified work in a city known to have multiple companies with high level military contracts. They think spies only exist in movies and all carry pens that turn into guns, when really they're just randos paid by foreign governments to sit around places important people are likely to be.

It's the same with hacking. A good portion of it isn't just some nerd sitting in front of a computer crackin l337 warez, it's doing stuff like leaving an innocuous USB full of trojans outside an office building where people are likely to find it. Or just looking up the name of someone suitably high-up (and suitably gullible) and targeting them with a real-looking email for their financial details.

Part of what makes Mr. Robot so good is it's actually built on how real hacking works rather than generic TV hacking.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of the Chelsea Manning tweet about spotting feds. Actual spies tend to try to look as unassuming as possible and fit in with everyone else around, usually slightly shabbier. Key thing is to check the shoes.

Tom Wolfe wrote about that in The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test iirc.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

When I lived in Germany, the US TV station was run by the armed forces. One commercial I remember is one where kids in a cafe are saying things like "Dad's going to Sicily this week" while a shifty character takes notes.

AFN, Armed Forces Network. In the early 90's I was raised on that for a lack of other options.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

lol if you wouldn't betray the US government for almost no reason

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Gritty is the best thing to happen to the NHL in a long time.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

poo poo, how do I get that job?

Start out small and sit around in places where important people are extremely unlikely to be, and take notes about everything, in excruciating detail.

poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Where did you find this picture of me?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dat rear end

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Tree Bucket posted:

Help, what does "you can Endeavor to find other means of moving your dirty waka" mean? Is the capital E significant?

Waka is Maori for "canoe". Endeavor is the name of the British ship that discovered New Zealand. So this might be a not-so-subtle "primitive savages vs cultured empire" racist slur.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

C O M M U T E

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, I made all that up, sorry.

Aw :smith:

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/3BqQhbj.mp4:nws:

e: maybe nws? Just in case

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Besesoth posted:

lmao that poor dude after his haircut looks like Snoopy

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Besesoth posted:

Me, on my way to steal your man.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Besesoth posted:

Somehow making the borat swimsuit joke pretty funny.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Besesoth posted:

Add on a mustache and he could be the asian Gallagher.

"Alright, who wants me to smash this durian with this here giant mallet?! You do! Well alright then.... right after 20 minutes of vaguely racist political 'humor'."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Did you miss the bit where the bald shirtless dude comes soaring in on supports designed to look like angel wings, like some horny middle aged Mormon woman's ideal American Jesus?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Did you miss the bit where the bald shirtless dude comes soaring in on supports designed to look like angel wings, like some horny middle aged Mormon woman's ideal American Jesus?

It was just some Cirque du Soleil looking poo poo, not funny in its own unless you're against the arts or maybe a repressed homophobe.

It's a bit goofy in context I guess, but I don't see why it's hilarious

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

e: every loving time I forget the "t" these days

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It was just some Cirque du Soleil looking poo poo, not funny in its own unless you're against the arts or maybe a repressed homophobe.

It's a bit goofy in context I guess, but I don't see why it's hilarious

You don't have to be homophobic or hate the arts to recognise the incredible cheesiness in the aesthetics of that moment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless