Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

But Cry Wilderness... I will always remember the first appearance of the tiger and the riff "I'm as surprised I'm in this movie as you are, folks" as one of those rare and precious "I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe, no seriously I CAN'T BREATHE" moments.

Big Foot just showing up and shouting that Paul's father needed help was that moment for me, because it 's so out-of-nowhere that it just makes you laugh all on its on, then the "I've been to three different boarding schools!" riff makes it even funnier.

The only time a movie took me more weirdly off-guard is that moment in The Forgotten in which people just start flying off into the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I don't really understand the crammed riff complaint. Just rewatching Cry Wilderness last night, you saw that there are portions of heavy riffing, yes, but also plenty of moments of slow riffing or just letting the movie breathe.

More than a few people complained about it so it must be something that exists, it's just that for whatever reason I'm either not noticing it or I'm fine with it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
'Deus lack of machina" is probably one of my favorite riffs from the entire series.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its not so much that its fast as they're clearly recorded separately and crammed together in post. It doesn't sound natural. Still loved S11.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ashpanash posted:

I don't really understand the crammed riff complaint. Just rewatching Cry Wilderness last night, you saw that there are portions of heavy riffing, yes, but also plenty of moments of slow riffing or just letting the movie breathe.

More than a few people complained about it so it must be something that exists, it's just that for whatever reason I'm either not noticing it or I'm fine with it.

Reptilicus in particular was overstuffed, and first impressions are powerful. After rewatching a bunch of Mike episodes afterward, I realized that my perception was a little off regarding how much more jam-packed it was, because there were a lot of riffs then too, at times. So I'm not sure if it was the timing of the riffs, or something like it felt they were a little rushed trying to get their lines in and didn't get it to sound more natural in the same way the older show did with the riffers having a little more continuity and experience, or just because the voices are different and I don't like change, or some ineffable combination of factors.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Reptilicus in particular was overstuffed, and first impressions are powerful. After rewatching a bunch of Mike episodes afterward, I realized that my perception was a little off regarding how much more jam-packed it was, because there were a lot of riffs then too, at times. So I'm not sure if it was the timing of the riffs, or something like it felt they were a little rushed trying to get their lines in and didn't get it to sound more natural in the same way the older show did with the riffers having a little more continuity and experience, or just because the voices are different and I don't like change, or some ineffable combination of factors.

They do a lot of "bits" with the riffs, so the way that they talk is sometimes a little rushed. It does feel more rehearsed, even if it's actually just as rehearsed as the Mike and Joel days. Some of it is that the riffing is edited in and the shadow segments are a little more polished, it's not like when you could see Joel's glasses if you looked carefully as he looked down at the floor.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I've been watching season 9 episodes lately and you can usually see Mike's headset

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
It fluctuates, but there are times where it’s distracting. I complained about it specifically yesterday early in Cry Wilderness when there are parts where it was non-stop and they literally left no gaps between riffs. When they do this, I feel like you can’t really appreciate the riffs and it seems like they are using a ‘throw everything against the wall and see what works’ approach.

I watch other riffers beside MST3K and Rifftrax, and the constant riffing works occasionally, but it has to be banter and used seldomly. each voice throwing out one-liners rapid fire has rarely, if ever, worked. If they are playing off each other, or doing things like taking turns naming a beefcake, then it can be great.

Overall it’s great and doesn’t ruin the movie or riffing, I’m glad they are slowing it down though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

I've been watching season 9 episodes lately and you can usually see Mike's headset

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I never noticed it watching as a kid, but it's obvious in almost every episode whenever I watch now.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
That probably has more to do with the better fidelity of modern TV's/computers compared to 90s televisions than growing up. You didn't notice because it wasn't really visible before.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think about the fast paced riffs - when they stood out to me the most, it sounded like a stand-up bit - like all the sudden they go on a slightly extended riff about something. So you had the pacing issues but also the content issues.

That's just my observation. The only thing I'm a little down about with the new season is the fact that the episodes have one less host bit. But hey, maybe it works really well? I rather have two host segments in a movie that are really good than 3 were Mike claims to be Urkle.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Powered Descent posted:

But Cry Wilderness... I will always remember the first appearance of the tiger and the riff "I'm as surprised I'm in this movie as you are, folks" as one of those rare and precious "I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe, no seriously I CAN'T BREATHE" moments.

For me it's Gypsy saying "MERRY BIGFOOT!" that sums up why the movie is so absurd.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure that Paul was in Little Big Foot, which is yet another ET knockoff.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 19, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think about the fast paced riffs - when they stood out to me the most, it sounded like a stand-up bit - like all the sudden they go on a slightly extended riff about something. So you had the pacing issues but also the content issues.

That's just my observation. The only thing I'm a little down about with the new season is the fact that the episodes have one less host bit. But hey, maybe it works really well? I rather have two host segments in a movie that are really good than 3 were Mike claims to be Urkle.

This has probably been discussed to death, but weren’t some writers contributing jokes remotely (this may have been a kickstarter reward)? Not having a writers’ room to workshop gags could leave some of them feeling disconnected.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Breadallelogram posted:

The puppet version of Mike in Prince of Space also wears a headset.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Action Jacktion posted:

The puppet version of Mike in Prince of Space also wears a headset.

I'm sorry Mike, I only take orders from Willie Tyler and Lester. :laugh:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

So when does The Gauntlet become available this Thursday?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ringu0 posted:

So when does The Gauntlet become available this Thursday?

I'm going to *guess* midnight PST

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm going to *guess* midnight PST

Netflix stuff usually drops midnight EST.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Netflix stuff usually drops midnight EST.

No it doesn't :confused: Literally every show I have watched does midnight PST, it's why I always have to wait until the next day.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Last season was midnight pst, as I remember.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bicyclops posted:

No it doesn't :confused: Literally every show I have watched does midnight PST, it's why I always have to wait until the next day.

That’s weird. I specifically remember Marvel stuff and even Bojack dropping at that time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm sorry Mike, I only take orders from Willie Tyler and Lester. :laugh:

That one always kills me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fun interview with Jonah about the new season from my local paper.

Some highlights:

quote:

I know you’ve been working with Joel Hodgson for a couple of years now, but does it still feel strange to work and riff alongside him?

It’s so fun. It’s so funny where you’re like, "This guy’s my hero and I’ve looked up to him for so long." But it’s still a working relationship where we’ll be riffing side by side and in my head I’ll be thinking, “Hit your mark! Do your line!” And I’m sure he’s doing the same thing to me. It’s funny how fast that happens, and I think that only really comes from a mutual appreciation.

Compare where you are in your head now, just before Season 12 is released, to just before Season 11 came out.

Man. I’m a lot more relaxed and more excited. I was so scared (before Season 11). Even seeing now some of the next season and seeing my performance, compared to last season, I don’t think I realized it at the time that I was scared the whole time. I was worried and I was trying my best.

And it’s not like I was some novice. I had been writing and performing comedy for a decade before this show. But I really, truly felt the weight of what it would mean if I wasn’t good at it.

But now that it came out and seeing people really embrace me as part of the show, having seen a few of the episodes completed, looking at my performance, I’m clearly more comfortable. Everyone is way more comfortable in their parts. Everyone’s having more fun with each other. We rebuilt the machine in Season 11, and now we can enjoy the machine.

Did doing the live tour in between, and getting that immediate response from fans, help?

That was really huge. Writing the shows for the live tour last year really helped me learn what the audience responds to. There are certain jokes that are funny, but there are not good live jokes. There’s a rhythm there that you kind of learn from a live audience, and that really taught us a lot.

I actually gasped when I saw you were doing “Mac and Me.” That’s one of the pinnacles of cheesy cinema.

Yeah, when I heard we were doing “Mac and Me,” I was like, "Is this too big of a movie for us to do?" It’s a movie that people have seen and know the jokes about it. I always describe “Mac and Me” as the most capitalistic movie ever made. It feels like Mr. Burns putting on civilian clothes and going to Moe’s Tavern and trying to fit in. I was psyched to do it.

The one movie I really wanted to do that I kept pushing for was “Maximum Overdrive,” Stephen King’s one attempt at directing his own material. But they weren’t able to figure it out. It’s also a very violent movie, a hard “R” in a lot of ways.

The fact that it’s coming out on Thanksgiving is good, because it gives families a solid eight hours to do something besides talk to each other.

Exactly. If there’s anything that ‘Mystery Science Theater” can do this holiday season, it’s drive families into silence.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Maximum Overdrive would also be a licensing nightmare I suspect given the soundtrack.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Maximum Overdrive would also be a licensing nightmare I suspect given the soundtrack.

At least it would only be one band's music (it was all AC/DC, right?). That said, I doubt they'd be super cheap or anything.

I remember watching Maximum Overdrive on the FOX Saturday Afternoon Matinee or whatever it was called, so they could do the TV edited version and have some fun with that.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've always wanted a "MST3K After Dark" where they can riff on R-rated movies. Maximum Overdrive would be a great choice because the first 20 minutes are pretty good but then it turns into a big pile of crap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hobgoblins: Unrated and Extended Cut

Now with 90% more rake fights

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

Hobgoblins: Unrated and Extended Cut

Now with 90% more rake fights

I'd only ever seen this on MST3K, so I just looked at IMDB's parental advisory to see what might have been cut and lmao at the first entry:

quote:

Nudity: none Also the girl on the cover picture for this page does not appear in the movie

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
If the riffs for The Gauntlet are as strong as the ones in the live tour, we’re in great shape.

Also my hot take: I much preferred the tour Servo and Crow.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
*Looks up Hobgoblins on IMDB*

Um...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Interesting. I wonder if it's genuinely bad or Birdemic 2 "James Nguyen's in on the joke and being tryhard so it's cringe" bad.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
It is funny that before the first episode of Sunday's marathon, Joel said that the riffing was "...more slow paced than you're used to in Moon 02..." but the pace in it is what I remember the pace being. On subsequent episodes in the marathon sometimes the jokes came as fast as they can in season 11. I think in my mind I just remembered them as being slower or perhaps because I know them so well it doesn't seem as quick because I know the lines already. In any case, when they went to Cry Wilderness in the marathon I considered going to bed but I stuck around despite having seen it like 4 times already. Guess what? I laughed more at that riff than any of the other 5 I had seen that day.

Conclusion: Season 11 was amazing (BANG!). Can't wait to come back from Thanksgiving and dig in to season 12. I've never seen Mac and Me and laughed *every time* I saw that dumb puppet driving a powerwheels car being chased by dogs in THE GAUNTLET ad they kept running.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Interesting. I wonder if it's genuinely bad or Birdemic 2 "James Nguyen's in on the joke and being tryhard so it's cringe" bad.

He was basically only able to make it because a bunch of people discovered Hobgoblins through MST3K, lol.

He thinks he was in on the joke for the first movie and none of the actors came back for the second, so it's probably quite awful, but it is apparently intentionally very 80s-looking, complete with fake ads for other 80s stuff. Personally, I wouldn't even watch it to to riff, because once someone thinks they're in on the camp for something they obviously made seriously, it ruins all of the fun. It's like when Ted Cruz tries to make the joke about him being a serial killer - it doesn't really accomplish anything besides kill the joke even deader than it already was.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

He was basically only able to make it because a bunch of people discovered Hobgoblins through MST3K, lol.

He thinks he was in on the joke for the first movie and none of the actors came back for the second, so it's probably quite awful, but it is apparently intentionally very 80s-looking, complete with fake ads for other 80s stuff. Personally, I wouldn't even watch it to to riff, because once someone thinks they're in on the camp for something they obviously made seriously, it ruins all of the fun. It's like when Ted Cruz tries to make the joke about him being a serial killer - it doesn't really accomplish anything besides kill the joke even deader than it already was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrQbBULQT3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XhFWOCskh4

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

CaveGrinch posted:

If the riffs for The Gauntlet are as strong as the ones in the live tour, we’re in great shape.

Also my hot take: I much preferred the tour Servo and Crow.

Tour Servo was great, he dropped a Coheed and Cambria reference during the QnA.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the current cast, but Tour Servo is really good. Tour Crow is his puppeteer, I think, who's great in general, but he doesn't have the delivery down IMO. Hampton is a big part of what made last year's tour better.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Old lady: I've fallen into the sixth level of purgatory and I can't get up

Tv's Son: Are you a glutton, ma'am?

Old lady: No, I was slothful...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

Or an Asylum flick. That might be the movie I'm 'worried' about the most in the Gauntlet. (And I'm sure it'll be fine, but Asylum movies are just so dull. They're like Corman films without the charm of Beverly Garland.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 21, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dawgstar posted:

Or an Asylum flick. That might be the movie I'm 'worried' about the most in the Gauntlet. (And I'm sure it'll be fine, but Asylum movies are just so dull. They're like Corman films without the charm of Beverly Garland.)

Corman films are "great." There's usually some ideas that is executed poorly, but with love, because he's going for some metaphor or parable. He made cheap films quickly, and he tried to give them something different.

Asylum is just trying to make quick films. Like Sharknado was just boring and bland. It seemed like the sole reason for existing was the absurd idea, but it just never really did anything.

Plus, Corman gave us The Undead, a film with no zombies but lots of bizarre medieval speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ugh, I hate the Sharknado people, I didn't know the Pacific Rim knock-off was from them. That episode might end up being pretty joyless.