Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

this guy knows python and how to read a circuit diagram and he's convinced a bunch of people they can use their cellphones to drive their car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TDi0BHgXyo

without the corporate hype and greed this is instantly a lot cooler though

ideally they don't go out there killing people, up to that point it is some interesting stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

what's so surprising about that? their sensor suite is a pencil beam radar and a bunch of webcams. the radar evidently shits itself if there are spurious reflections (e.g. anything overhead) and the vision suite can't reliably tell a 13-ton vehicle from open road in anything other than optimal lighting at low speeds.

then since they know the autopilot can't deal with it they should flag the overpass as "autopilot should warn the user upon approach and stop the car if the user hasn't taken over"

but well "safety third"

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

there were a non zero amount of people in that thread who were saying that they didn't see the truck in the video either, that it was in shade and also wasn't a REAL semi trailer cause it was a flat bed and also and also

and a non zero amount of some people independently suggesting things like "well the truck crossed a solid white line, which might be illegal, so maybe the autopilot didn't expect it?"

someone in there was doing good work though just hammering on the "if thing is in front of car and there will be a crash, car must stop" point though. airbags style: event happen, don't leave to some bullshit machine learning excuse to make final devision (and in case of murder death by autopilot, at least they can help train the model in the future for the betterment of all humanity)

the muskets don't like it

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

also the truck maybe didn't keep its blinker on long enough so that'd also be against the rules of the road so its understandable that the car was ready to decapitate its passengers

vs like i dunno reacting to whats a constant struggle for survival full of unknowns, e.g. driving

beep boop if not in DMV manual goto the rear end of large vehicle ahead while accelerating

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Bless me r/teslamotors, for I have sinned. It has been 3 days since my last confession. today i was angry that the road noise is pretty bad. also using the touch screen for everything sucks.

your penance will be 3 "i love the cars" and 2 "the car accelerates quicks". I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Elon, and of Spacex, and IFuckingLoveScience.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
driving is a pretty stupid activity though, and society should strive to do less of it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

this guy knows python and how to read a circuit diagram and he's convinced a bunch of people they can use their cellphones to drive their car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TDi0BHgXyo

The car park chase from Tomorrow Never Dies except they're all people just trying to get home from work

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FAUXTON posted:

The car park chase from Tomorrow Never Dies except they're all people just trying to get home from work

Behind the wheel, Pierce Brosnan attempts desperately to wrestle with the autopilot wheel in one hand while stuffing a pen grenade into the console with the other.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Potato Salad posted:

Behind the wheel, Pierce Brosnan attempts desperately to wrestle with the autopilot wheel in one hand while stuffing a pen grenade into the console with the other.

the chase ends with a massive fx setpiece where he leaps from the car as it bursts into flames and homes in on the nearest firetruck, conspicuously with no input from him.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

redleader posted:

driving is a pretty stupid activity though, and society should strive to do less of it

take the bus

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/samabuelsamid/status/1064181021229416450

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another satisfied customer posted:

Executive summary: If you drive a Model S, X or 3 and the brake lights won't turn off, take this very seriously, because you might be in for a major inconvenience, or even long term battery damage.

My Model 3 was working great (except for the defective turn signal stalk and intermittently inoperable HVAC blower) for the first 11 days of ownership. Then on Halloween someone at work came by my desk to say I left my headlights on. Odd... That's not really possible. Upon inspection I found that everything was on and the doors were not locked. I shut off everything individually and locked the doors with the key card, but the center display was still on, and so were the brake lights. I called Tesla and they scheduled a mobile tech to check on the car the next day. I drove home carefully that night knowing that stuck brake lights are essentially the same as having no brake lights. I resolved to drive my beater Prius (11 years old, 191k miles, zero issues ever). While I was at work the next day the tech went to my house and found a faulty brake switch, which apparently notifies the car when the brake pedal is being pressed, and ordered a new one, which takes about a week to arrive. He said he was able to get the brake lights to turn off, but after driving the car for a few minutes they came back on. Instead of doing the reset maneuver again, he left my car sitting with the headlights and heat on when he left my house. I returned home from work at 10pm to find the battery state-of-charge (SoC) getting low. Annoying, but fine. I'll just plug it in. But when the brake pedal is pressed, the charge port door cannot be opened. That means I can't charge the battery. I tried to do a full "Power Off" but there again, pressing the brake wakes the car, so it would not power off. Resetting the computer didn't help. So I turned off the heat, seat heaters, lights and dimmed the display to 0% hoping the 49% SoC would get the car through the next week of sitting in the garage waiting for the repair. It did not. With the car fully powered up the SoC dropped by about 12 points per day, so by Sunday I was in a panic when it was in single digits. I spent a lot of time reading these forums and watching YouTube videos trying to find some way to get the thing to take a charge or power off. Unfortunately everything I found was negated by pressing the brake pedal. I was desperate because I know that when the battery hits 0% SoC and goes into emergency shutdown mode, the parking brake can't be disengaged so towing is difficult. The doors can't easily be opened. The 12v battery will drain, which will kill the lead acid cells. And leaving a lithium ion battery fully discharged for days on end is bad for its longevity. All this because of a little switch that I imagine is a pretty simple $10 part. I wonder if this potential failure was ever considered during the design of the car.

I should mention that I called Tesla at least once per day every day since this happened and they did nothing to help me. No tow truck, no emergency repair, no loaner, no calls back from my voice mails or from the people who said they would. On Saturday I thought I made progress when someone agreed to have the car towed to the nearest service center. He said he'd call me right back because he couldn't call the towing company while I was on the other line, and never did. No tow truck ever arrived. I never heard from him again. I've learned that "I'll call you back" is code for "My shift ended ten minutes ago and I'm outta here." (Do I sound like a jerk? I only say this because it has happened so many times over the years.)

So on Sunday I was desperate to get the car to either power off or take a charge before it hit 0% SoC. I figured out how to access the 12v battery (easy) and disconnected the positive lead. Weirdly, nothing happened except for a fresh error on the display. I left it this way for a couple of hours but nothing changed. I pulled the manual charge port door release cable inside the trunk and more errors appeared on the display, but the little door didn't open. I then pried open the door with a special plastic tool (a pen) and winced as its little motor kept trying to close it against my grip. I plugged in a my UMC cable and the T logo turned blue for a second, then red, then I heard a very alarming CLUNK! come from the front of the car and everything went dark and quiet. Not quite the success I had hoped for, but at least it seemed to be fully powered off at 6% SoC. With the UMC still connected (I couldn't disconnect it now) I reconnected the positive cable to the 12v battery. To my amazement the car hummed to life and the computer booted up without any errors or complaints. There was a loud hum for about 2 minutes, but that stopped and the battery was charging! The brake lights were also off. I charged it to 90% and am confident it can survive until the repair guy returns, especially since it's still plugged in.

Yes, that's long-winded, but I'm writing this more for myself than for anyone else. I was so annoyed and frustrated, then relieved that I had to tell someone who would understand. Thanks, Tesla community!

Lessons learned

- Stuck brake lights might indicate a really serious problem in a Tesla, namely, you can't power it down or charge it.
- When talking to someone in tech support or customer service, get his/her callback number! If someone says he'll call you back, he probably won't.
- If you're stuck troubleshooting your own car when it's in a severely uncooperative state, disconnect the 12v battery in the frunk and connect a charge cable to cause the car to freak out and power down. Reconnect the 12v battery and it'll boot up. This might break your car. I don't actually know for sure. Didn't seem to break mine.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I wonder if this potential failure was ever considered during the design of the car.

at no point in the design of any tesla was this a consideration for any part of it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

- If you're stuck troubleshooting your own car when it's in a severely uncooperative state, disconnect the 12v battery in the frunk and connect a charge cable to cause the car to freak out and power down. Reconnect the 12v battery and it'll boot up. This might break your car. I don't actually know for sure. Didn't seem to break mine.

tesla koan: if you're stuck troubleshooting your car on the path, break it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quote:

My Model 3 was working great (except for the defective turn signal stalk and intermittently inoperable HVAC blower) for the first 11 days of ownership.

luxury car owner doesnt care that their turn signals dont work, checks out kgob

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

flakeloaf posted:

tesla koan: if you're stuck troubleshooting your car on the path, break it

Move fast and break your $50k daily-use appliances

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

It works great, other than the air conditioning/heater

Sweating/Freezing in the lap of luxury

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

they would have to want to use them in the first place

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

they would have to want to use them in the first place

:thejoke:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:stare::fh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i guess it's good that teslas are not luxury cars, they're just prices like them.

though non-luxury car owners are even less willing to deal with that poo poo because they don't care about the ~soul~ of their car

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
it fucks me off when muskovites get all like "oh but elon's trying to save the world; that's his only motivation for making electric cars"

you wanna save the world with electric cars? make them in two sizes: "scooter" and "city bus". not this wannabe luxury car crap for rich people to buy and flaunt around like they're fuckin david suzuki all of a sudden, as if their conspicuous consumption wasn't always the problem

like,, do they really envision a world where everyone who currently drives a regular car drives a tesla instead? do they not see how that just isn't going to work?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they also sell their pollution tax credits they get for all this EV making to other automakers so they can churn out even more co2 spewing cars

so you know maybe they wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't all just greenwashing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ol qwerty bastard posted:

like,, do they really envision a world where everyone who currently drives a regular car drives a tesla instead?

literally yes

do they not see how that just isn't going to work?

literally yes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the best way to greenwash is to promise no major changes in behavior

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it fucks me off when muskovites get all like "oh but elon's trying to save the world; that's his only motivation for making electric cars"

you wanna save the world with electric cars? make them in two sizes: "scooter" and "city bus". not this wannabe luxury car crap for rich people to buy and flaunt around like they're fuckin david suzuki all of a sudden, as if their conspicuous consumption wasn't always the problem

like,, do they really envision a world where everyone who currently drives a regular car drives a tesla instead? do they not see how that just isn't going to work?
it's conspicuous consumption, op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCvwCcEP74Q&t=795s

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the a4 i used to drive had literally the exact same problem w the brake lights. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the turn stalks are from mercedes-benz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the brake lights in my ford got stuck on after a piece of rubber on the brake pedal cracked and fell apart after 14 years of use

i 3d printed a new one in 20 minutes for like a nickel's worth of plastic and it's been fine for two years

maybe you should quit buying lovely cars

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's luxury, dumbass. if you can fix it yourself it's a peasant car

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

redleader posted:

counter argument: Driving is cool and good and individual mobility is a great achievement of our societey. Its mass transit by car that sucks

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the a4 i used to drive had literally the exact same problem w the brake lights. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and the infotainment system refused to shut off so you left the engine running for days and just fed it gas regularly in order to avoid having it towed to the shop? yeah, I think we've all been there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

correction: tried to feed it gas and ended up battling the ecu for access to the gas cap, resulting in forcing the engine to shut down and reset by causing a major fault that could have destroyed the car

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

and the infotainment system refused to shut off so you left the engine running for days and just fed it gas regularly in order to avoid having it towed to the shop? yeah, I think we've all been there
quite literally yes, a bunch of models of the the audi symphony series radios have a notorious problem where they just turn themselves on while the car is parked and wear the battery down till it's dead.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

i like how your standard for luxury is a german entry level Sedan from the least luxurious of the Big 3 german Sedan makers that costs half of what the Tesla cost.

also your broken A4 brake switch would cost you 3 minutes of labour to disconnect the battery and 15,95€ for a new part. And in the case that you managed to fry the battery, 74,99€ for a new one. i somehow doubt the price range the tesla user was scared of, or amount of labour he invested is matching that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the audi symphony series radios have a notorious problem where they just turn themselves on while the car is parked and wear the battery down till it's dead.

sounds like a conductor problem

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbf audi is also known for their quality electronics

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

counter argument: Driving is cool and good and individual mobility is a great achievement of our societey. Its mass transit by car that sucks

i agree with this. keep your car for road trips and joyrides, but ban all cars from urban areas (where driving sucks anyway)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

the least luxurious of the Big 3 german Sedan makers
lmfao

Combat Theory posted:

that costs half of what the Tesla cost.
an optioned a4 is about what a model 3 costs. an optioned a6 is about what a model s costs. tesla is deliberately targeting buyers of those specific cars who are cross shopping, so its a pretty good basis for comparison

Combat Theory posted:

also your broken A4 brake switch would cost you 3 minutes of labour to disconnect the battery and 15,95€ for a new part. And in the case that you managed to fry the battery, 74,99€ for a new one. i somehow doubt the price range the tesla user was scared of, or amount of labour he invested is matching that
yea tesla should be fixing this for free under warranty, but the idea here is that these sorts of problems are what luxury car buyers have come to expect. not that this status quo is acceptable or that its acceptable that they happen on teslas, but its not out of character for a vehicle in this segment

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 19, 2018

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Kotex you are a turnip when it comes to cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

im putting that insult on my shelf next to "hot jar of mayonnaise"