Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Most bad actors are looking to land the whales, but you're also going to have people occasionally going after guppies as well. It's a big deal, because it's very probable that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg, but we're not at the wheel of the ship, so we can do little to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Wait am I the whale or Ahab this is confusing

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Inept posted:

Wait am I the whale or Ahab this is confusing

Most people looking to utilize Meltdown and Spectre will be going after big targets. But for every datacenter that gets targeted, you have to worry about compromised POS terminals at small businesses, or your grandma clicking on an .exe file that promises "the cutest kitten video ever" before buying more knitting yarn with her Visa card.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Most people looking to utilize Meltdown and Spectre will be going after big targets. But for every datacenter that gets targeted, you have to worry about compromised POS terminals at small businesses, or your grandma clicking on an .exe file that promises "the cutest kitten video ever" before buying more knitting yarn with her Visa card.

And your data and everyone else's floating around on the super servers with no oversight or accountability.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Just built my 9900k build. Great processor but drat does it run hot if you use prime 95 avx

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Most people looking to utilize Meltdown and Spectre will be going after big targets.
I think this absolutely true in the relative short term (ie. ~1-2yr) but these attacks are eventually going to get put into all the viruses/exploits which will start using them more and more over time as they get better understood and the various methods get copied and distributed among the black hats who sell the virus creator kits.

Given the way people (and offices) tend to keep computers around for as long as possible (especially in the medical IT world) and how many CPU's were sold with these vulnerabilities AND how lousy people are in general with keeping up with patches/BIOS updates I think this is one of those problems that is going to only get bigger and bigger as time goes on. Assuming that only the "big guys" will be effected engenders a sort of complacency that isn't really sensible in the mid/long term here IMO.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Rabid Snake posted:

Just built my 9900k build. Great processor but drat does it run hot if you use prime 95 avx

Got mine stable at 1.152V at the stock all core 4.7 ghz turbo, really helps cut down on the heat. I used to push my CPUs to the limit but I dont think the few hundred mhz is worth the extra heat and noise, for me anyway.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 17, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have to wonder how exploitable these things are outside a controlled environment. I'm not doubting whether it is possible, but the time required to extract the data. If your hope is to have the malicious code land on the logical sibling core than the process you're trying to exploit, and you have to keep micro-timing a lot to sort out the noise and find specific patterns, you're in for a long time on a busy system (given that threads will be core hopping a lot on a busy system). So I wonder how much an end user is going to be affected by this, assuming they regularly shut down the system.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I wonder how much an end user is going to be affected by this, assuming they regularly shut down the system.

A random home end-user is unlikely to be impacted by this anytime in the near future. These attacks are very much aimed at large server environments and persistent state actors, who have the time and resources to sit and wait and sift through whatever data they're pulling to find what they want.

Unfortunately, it's also server workloads which suffer the most from the fixes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You seem to be missing that when you convince grandma to click kitten.exe, she authorized UAC on it like she does on every other program and then the malware already has root. And then it doesn't have any need to use meltdown or spectre to attempt to grab snatches of stuff only visible by a root user.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you could always ask the sec thread..

the pocs for these sidechannel attacks generally include an ec2 example. that should give you an idea of how feasible the concept is

the latest research reinforces that the situation is worse than everyone wants it to be, and that current defences have more shortcomings than is desired.

on the plus side the most likely attack surface - your web browser - has been promoting the most effective countermeasures. the downside is that users complain about ram usage so go for the trendy browser of the week and don't listen to anyone advising against that, so they're hosed

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Don't run a system with under 8GB of RAM and you'll be ok, anyhow. RAM prices are finally starting to come back down, too, so 8/16 isn't crazy.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just got a computer and a 4K monitor from a bankruptcy auction for $100. It came with a 6700K. I'm planning on using it for gaming so I'm also going to get a 1080Ti and upgrade the PSU.

Should I keep the 6700K, swap it out for a 7700K, or replace the mobo and CPU for something like a 9700K or even a 9900K?

I only have $100 into this and it's a really nice system so I don't mind spending a bit of money on it.

- 64 GB RAM
- 512 GB M.2
- 4 x 500 GB SSDs

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 18, 2018

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just got a computer and a 4K monitor from a bankruptcy auction for $100. It came with a 6600K. I'm planning on using it for gaming so I'm also going to get a 1080Ti and upgrade the PSU.

Should I keep the 6600K, swap it out for a 7700K, or replace the mobo and CPU for something like a 9700K or even a 9900K?

I only have $100 into this and it's a really nice system so I don't mind spending a bit of money on it.

- 64 GB RAM
- 512 GB M.2
- 4 x 500 GB SSDs

I'd keep the proc you have; a 6600 is nearly as fast as the 7700, and CPU prices just went up. A lot of games won't make use of the extra cores, and for single threaded apps and games the 9x chips may actually be slower. So you'd pay a significant premium for no real benefit.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Broken Machine posted:

I'd keep the proc you have; a 6600 is nearly as fast as the 7700, and CPU prices just went up. A lot of games won't make use of the extra cores, and for single threaded apps and games the 9x chips may actually be slower. So you'd pay a significant premium for no real benefit.
OK cool, thanks. Glad I asked here first. :)

I realize a made a typo, the computer came with a 6700K, not a 6600K.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Even better, 4c/8t is a lot better than 4c/4t at this point. You got an insanely good deal and your plans make perfect sense.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just got a computer and a 4K monitor from a bankruptcy auction for $100. It came with a 6700K. I'm planning on using it for gaming so I'm also going to get a 1080Ti and upgrade the PSU.

Should I keep the 6700K, swap it out for a 7700K, or replace the mobo and CPU for something like a 9700K or even a 9900K?

- 64 GB RAM
- 512 GB M.2
- 4 x 500 GB SSDs

I think if you overclock the 6700k you are good for the foreseeable future, but I'm not 100% on that generation

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
At 4k the difference between 6700k and later i7s is virtually nil, the bottleneck at that resolution is GPU-related.

To put things in perspective as well, for gaming at all resolutions, the 6700k is still just as fast as the Ryzen 7 2700x. Don't knock it. It's old but it's still a very fast CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IistubvBOT8

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This is great info, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks everyone.

Looks like I’ll stick to my original plan of upgrading the PSU and GPU.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Buildzoid just went over the Aorus Master Z390 board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J7qnr0YNH8

The VRM situation did not get a very glowing recommendation from him, but he still calls it the best 'regular build' Z390 board he's seen, and Newegg has it for $240 after rebate at the moment.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 19, 2018

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I finally built my 9900k system over the weekend and I lost the silicon lottery again, can't do 5GHz on all cores, 4.8 is stable and 4.9 probably is too once I do some more testing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Did you mess with LLC at all?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Yep tried all the llc settings and pushed the voltage all the way to 1.39v, silicon lottery reports only 46% of 9900k can hit 5GHz.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Those numbers from silicon lottery really surprises me because that's 5 GHz with an AXV offset of 2.

I have mine at 1.28 V and 5 GHz all core with no offset. I was at 1.27 but I turned on prime and walked away for a couple hours and came back to a blue screen, and that little bump fixed it. The other couple people I know also have theirs at 5 GHz all core with no offset, though they're in the low 1.3 V.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I run 4.9 with no offset on a delidded 8700K at 1.34v (keep in mind though that software voltage readings are not entirely reliable and I think at least on Asus boards they changed how it's reported between Z370 and Z390). What I did find though was that my chip seems quite temperature sensitive, at least when running AVX benchmarks. Small sample size and some risk of confirmation bias but when I was playing around with it last time, it seemed to be significantly more stable if kept under 75-ish C. I started running all of my super heavy AVX benchmarks (OCCT small dataset, p95) at 100% fan speed on everything because of that - they're a highly unrealistic load anyway.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
The build quality on this Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro I just installed is amazing. I spent a lot of time feeling up and smelling the board. Its just that good no wonder its been stated as best value.

The Bios isnt really all bad? Have to wait on the 9700k still to put the 12+1 vrm to test.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Please don't gently caress your consumer electronics

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I do what I want.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Green Gloves posted:

The Bios isnt really all bad? Have to wait on the 9700k still to put the 12+1 vrm to test.

It's not bad really, they give you all the knobs and dials, it's just got wonky UI elements (select the numeric setting you want from this list of 2000 numbers in increments of 0.01) and a really confusing menu layout. At least if you're coming from ASUS - which, granted, is far from perfect, but they're far better than Gigabyte at putting the options in a mostly logical menu system and briefly explaining what they do and what the defaults are.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Seriously about to do it to pics of my build 🤫 dont tell my gf

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

TheFluff posted:

It's not bad really, they give you all the knobs and dials, it's just got wonky UI elements (select the numeric setting you want from this list of 2000 numbers in increments of 0.01) and a really confusing menu layout. At least if you're coming from ASUS - which, granted, is far from perfect, but they're far better than Gigabyte at putting the options in a mostly logical menu system and briefly explaining what they do and what the defaults are.

Gigabyte did out out a z390 overclocking manual so that definitely helps out a bunch. I highly recommend that for anyone being confused with the wonkiness.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Green Gloves posted:

The F4 BIOS was evidently terrible. The F5 is supposedly much better.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mr. Apollo posted:

- 64 GB RAM
- 512 GB M.2
- 4 x 500 GB SSDs

I'm gonna dissent from everyone and say shoot for an 8700K. We're very much past the days of quad cores being optimal for gaming and BFV is making oldish i5s poo poo the bed. You have 8 threads which helps but I feel like six physical cores would be better

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TheFluff posted:

You can always simply type in the value, no need to select from the list.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Please don't gently caress your consumer electronics

What are you, my warranty?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

mewse posted:

I think if you overclock the 6700k you are good for the foreseeable future, but I'm not 100% on that generation

I don’t know about the Division 2, Dying Lights 2 or the next Metro Game (Exodus) or Just Cause 4, but the Battlefield V thread already delivers strong indications and fps results that quadcores might be serious bottlenecks in the future.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mr.PayDay posted:

I don’t know about the Division 2, Dying Lights 2 or the next Metro Game (Exodus) or Just Cause 4, but the Battlefield V thread already delivers strong indications and fps results that quadcores might be serious bottlenecks in the future.

I can’t actually find hard evidence of that for BF5 at 1440p or above. The posts I’ve seen lacked good evidence and some web benchmarks showed no difference between similar 4/6 cores results. Do you have a detailed report?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Just bought a 9700K on eBay due to the PICKFAST sale. Still need a board and RAM, but I figured I won't get the CPU much cheaper than this so might as well get that out of the way. Guess I won't be able to put off this build much longer. Going to try recouping some of the costs by selling my 2600K and Z68 board since I hear people are still paying more than they should for these parts.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

pmchem posted:

I can’t actually find hard evidence of that for BF5 at 1440p or above. The posts I’ve seen lacked good evidence and some web benchmarks showed no difference between similar 4/6 cores results. Do you have a detailed report?

Here's my own: my 6600K at 4.7ghz absolutely cannot hold 60fps on some maps. It hits 100% on all cores and chokes to 45-50fps especially on Narvik, Fjell and Rotterdam chokepoints. This is on high at 4k with a 1080ti.

64 player conquest is out of the question if you want locked 60fps with 4 threads.

It NEEDS more than 4 threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Here's my own: my 6600K at 4.7ghz absolutely cannot hold 60fps on some maps. It hits 100% on all cores and chokes to 45-50fps especially on Narvik, Fjell and Rotterdam chokepoints. This is on high at 4k with a 1080ti.

64 player conquest is out of the question if you want locked 60fps with 4 threads.

It NEEDS more than 4 threads.

Meanwhile my 6600K at 4.5GHz with a 1080ti at 3440x1440 at a mix of high and ultra

Average framerate : 94.0 FPS
Minimum framerate : 59.9 FPS
Maximum framerate : 118.0 FPS

Fjell on 64 player conquest, 5 minutes of gameplay, benchmark run through Afterburner