Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

U-DO Burger posted:

Welp I finished Torna and oooof that's a painful ending. :smith:

You know it's gonna be bad, and it still somehow manages to get a suckerpunch in :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The whole DLC makes me think of all the scenes from 500 years ago from Xenogears so much. Especially the campfire scene in XG. I wish they could just revisit XG someday

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

NG+ should be a breeze since you can effectively completely ignore merc missions, inventory management, development levels, salvaging, most of the skill check nodes, and so on. It's also pretty fun since you have so much more flexibility with the difficulty and team levels and such, plus new character growth and goofy things like Zeke's awakening skill.

Not much to be done about rolling on the gacha but at least the upside over Torna is that there's actual team customization to play around with. I just do my rolling while I'm watching TV or whatever and it's pretty painless for the most part.

Meanwhile I'm coming from the flip side of being in the middle of playing Labyrinth of Refrain which is making me long for how good the chara7cters and outfits and especially the story is in XC2 by comparison.
The fact that Zeke's eye of shining justice becomes a real thing in ng+ is the best part of the extensive updates and DLC.
And it makes Pandoira one of the best blades in the game for that reason alone.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

The whole DLC makes me think of all the scenes from 500 years ago from Xenogears so much. Especially the campfire scene in XG. I wish they could just revisit XG someday

This is definitely Takahashi's most 'gears influenced Xenoblade game, possibly even more so than Xenosaga. I did a post about the explicit links around when it came out, including the fact that both the Solaris/Shevat war and the Aegis war took place 500 years before the main game.

I'm about 75% through Torna and it's incredibly good in a way that makes it painful to think about the game XB2 could have been if it was finished.

It also gives me a lot of hope for their next project because it identifies and addresses almost every complaint about it and fixes it without introducing a bunch of new issues.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

goddamn, I'm zooming through NG+ now and on my first playthrough, I saw Jin as a whiny psychopath. But now that I've played the DLC, I see that he's actually making really good points and I get where he's coming from 100%

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

So I finished the expansion.

I guess my first thought is that it's fairly obvious that this was supposed to be part of the main game, to the point that Takahashi has said it was originally supposed to be between chapters 7 and 8 when the party falls into the Great Void at the base of the World Tree. The worst part is that this is the first case where the game being blatantly unfinished isn't Takahashi's fault as he was working with less than half the staff and development time of XBX.

As a DLC it's packed with filler and isn't paced with the main game. It also has the disadvantage that there's less room for things to happen "off-screen". The main game's dying earth setting is supported by the idea that the Aegis War was an incomprehensably vast conflict that sank more titans than are alive today and where weapons like the Tornan warship were ordinary.

It provides a ton of stuff that re-contextualizes the main game, from essential (how Jin went from a hero who fought Malos to someone who broadly agrees with his opinions of humanity and why Mythra is so afraid of her own power) to fun (how Zeke isn't someone who's trying to be a hero like Addam and messing it up by being a scenery chewing goofball but a hero who is like Addam because he's a scenery chewing goofball). I also find it funny how Mythra viewing Addam as a father figure adds an Electra complex element that makes Rex's relationship with Pyra/Mythra into a Freudian combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

The other thing I noticed immediately is how the DLC treats blades. The main game is constantly undermining it's own point by treating blades as a harem of expendible pokemon. The DLC treats it more like two people being joined at the hip for life. No one ever disappears into a pokeball, blades and drivers take turns fighting, and everyone takes part in crafting (Lora even says something like "no one has to shoulder all the burden").

There's also a morbid enjoyment in reading the DLC as a 20 hour long joke about winning the battle but losing in the cutscene.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

goddamn, I'm zooming through NG+ now and on my first playthrough, I saw Jin as a whiny psychopath. But now that I've played the DLC, I see that he's actually making really good points and I get where he's coming from 100%

Jin correctly identifies the problem (the whole setup of the world is hosed and its god sucks) but comes up with the wrong solution (genocide). It's at least a better setup than just being evil for no real reason. His constant roasting of Mythra and being the perfect boyfriend also help.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Microcline posted:

It provides a ton of stuff that re-contextualizes the main game, from essential (how Jin went from a hero who fought Malos to someone who broadly agrees with his opinions of humanity and why Mythra is so afraid of her own power) to fun (how Zeke isn't someone who's trying to be a hero like Addam and messing it up by being a scenery chewing goofball but a hero who is like Addam because he's a scenery chewing goofball). I also find it funny how Mythra viewing Addam as a father figure adds an Electra complex element that makes Rex's relationship with Pyra/Mythra into a Freudian combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

I really liked that they ran with their dynamic being Addam with a bratty teenage daughter rather than "the old Driver/Boyfriend before Rex".

Microcline posted:

The other thing I noticed immediately is how the DLC treats blades. The main game is constantly undermining it's own point by treating blades as a harem of expendible pokemon. The DLC treats it more like two people being joined at the hip for life. No one ever disappears into a pokeball, blades and drivers take turns fighting, and everyone takes part in crafting (Lora even says something like "no one has to shoulder all the burden").

Uh... did you not pay attention to anything in the main game, least of all the sidequests? Because there are massive undertones everywhere about how most people treat Blades as people and equal partners. The only ones that do otherwise are portrayed as total assholes. If anything, Torna's the worse off for this than XBC2, because it portrays Torna as being a bastion of equality for Drivers and Blades (a rarity at the time), yet you don't see any Blades at all in the Capital.

In fact, I think you encounter maybe... three(?) that aren't in your party, and are just Generic Blade quest-givers.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... did you not pay attention to anything in the main game, least of all the sidequests? Because there are massive undertones everywhere about how most people treat Blades as people and equal partners. The only ones that do otherwise are portrayed as total assholes. If anything, Torna's the worse off for this than XBC2, because it portrays Torna as being a bastion of equality for Drivers and Blades (a rarity at the time), yet you don't see any Blades at all in the Capital.

In fact, I think you encounter maybe... three(?) that aren't in your party, and are just Generic Blade quest-givers.

I don't even know what we're supposed to be spoiler tagging anymore at this point, but anyway. I think this is probably due to the fact that Blades were considerable more rare in that time period than anything else. IIRC it was largely Amalthus's process that made the core crystals much more reliable, and absolutely his doing of ramping up distribution of them to various nations' armies and making them far more common place in general.

He's right though in that there's an odd conflict between XC2's blade collecting gameplay mechanics and how the story/sidequests actually treat blades.

Microcline posted:

No one ever disappears into a pokeball, blades and drivers take turns fighting, and everyone takes part in crafting (Lora even says something like "no one has to shoulder all the burden").

Well I mean, Brighid and Aegeon certainly turn back into pokeballs. As far as taking turns fighting, that's kind of the whole point of it, they changed from generic roles to specialized roles over 500 years because it ended up being the more efficient style of fighting. It's not like Blades don't do their fair share of the fighting in XC2, even if don't directly control them on point. And heck you've got characters like Brighid who is entirely on her own for part of the game.

As for every Blades taking part in crafting, that's far more to do with the very limited cast size plus the fact that crafting is the ONLY way to get anything in Torna. In XC2, aside from Rex/Tora/Pyra/Vess/Vale who all do have crafting skills, tons of other rare blades have all sorts of hobbies that are a direct part of their character. If anything, shoehorning everyone into a crafting role in Torna felt kind of forced to me, especially Mythra what with her food being some of the best pouch items in the game and all.

Here's a real rando XC2 question because I don't even remember when they talk about this: Addam is obviously only half-Tornan. Do they ever say what his other half was?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I don't even know what we're supposed to be spoiler tagging anymore at this point, but anyway. I think this is probably due to the fact that Blades were considerable more rare in that time period than anything else. IIRC it was largely Amalthus's process that made the core crystals much more reliable, and absolutely his doing of ramping up distribution of them to various nations' armies and making them far more common place in general.

He's right though in that there's an odd conflict between XC2's blade collecting gameplay mechanics and how the story/sidequests actually treat blades.

Well I mean, Brighid and Aegeon certainly turn back into pokeballs. As far as taking turns fighting, that's kind of the whole point of it, they changed from generic roles to specialized roles over 500 years because it ended up being the more efficient style of fighting. It's not like Blades don't do their fair share of the fighting in XC2, even if don't directly control them on point. And heck you've got characters like Brighid who is entirely on her own for part of the game.

As for every Blades taking part in crafting, that's far more to do with the very limited cast size plus the fact that crafting is the ONLY way to get anything in Torna. In XC2, aside from Rex/Tora/Pyra/Vess/Vale who all do have crafting skills, tons of other rare blades have all sorts of hobbies that are a direct part of their character. If anything, shoehorning everyone into a crafting role in Torna felt kind of forced to me, especially Mythra what with her food being some of the best pouch items in the game and all.

Here's a real rando XC2 question because I don't even remember when they talk about this: Addam is obviously only half-Tornan. Do they ever say what his other half was?

Pretty sure it's Leftherian. It's why the Royal Crypt's out there and Rex has the same eyes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally started Torna (because I have been busy af) and I just finished the first tutorial battle and the battle system is already amazing. I’m glad they tried something different, it paid off

Edit: I just met Addam and he is amazing. Hell yeah!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 12, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did a chain attack and I swear Hugo said “DON’T FORGET ME” when I did his attack

So that rules

Edit: I just did it again and I can confirm that this is true. Amazing.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 16, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh wow, I just discovered that you stop getting AUX crystals if your inventory maxes out. They just don’t go into your inventory even though you pick them up. So all those really good ones I just got from unique enemies might as well have not existed!

That includes the ultra rare ones you get for maxing your blades’ affinity charts! :suicide:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

The not sure about Torna, but Xenoblade 2 sold more in the United States than in Japan. It's crazy how much more popular Xenoblade 2 is compared to the other games. Nintendo really shows what having confidence and investing in your franchises does.

I wonder how much of that was coming out in the launch year that had a relatively slow release schedule (Huge, amazing games but months apart).

These days it feels like a high budget JRPG comes out every month, I dunno that XC2 would have done as well as it did if it came out after Valkyria Chronicles 4, Ys, Pokemon, World Ends With You, Every FF game in existence, etc. etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wonder how much of that was coming out in the launch year that had a relatively slow release schedule (Huge, amazing games but months apart).

These days it feels like a high budget JRPG comes out every month, I dunno that XC2 would have done as well as it did if it came out after Valkyria Chronicles 4, Ys, Pokemon, World Ends With You, Every FF game in existence, etc. etc.

It's a sequel to a beloved Nintendo exclusive, that went out of its way to advertise "it's just like the original, we promise, it's not another XCX".

It'd be like saying the next Final Fantasy would've done worse if it'd came out after all those games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah outside Pokémon and FF literally all those games are small market games so I don’t think it would matter

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 20, 2018

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I recall reading somewhere that big Japanese games selling more in the US than in Japan is starting to be the new normal (and IIRC it was the case with the original Xenoblade as well).

Xenoblade 2 had a marketing push, a solid base of old and new fans, and was on an extremely popular console so it doesn't surprise me it's their best selling game. In North America the original only got two small retailer-specific print runs (that sold out almost immediately) with no fanfare and while XBX had an actual marketing budget and a release day it was a weird half-game on a stillborn console.

The numbers I can find seem to be around 1.3 million at one year after launch, which is a bit above what Xenogears sold at the same time (1.2 million).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Microcline posted:

I recall reading somewhere that big Japanese games selling more in the US than in Japan is starting to be the new normal (and IIRC it was the case with the original Xenoblade as well).

Xenoblade 2 had a marketing push, a solid base of old and new fans, and was on an extremely popular console so it doesn't surprise me it's their best selling game. In North America the original only got two small retailer-specific print runs (that sold out almost immediately) with no fanfare and while XBX had an actual marketing budget and a release day it was a weird half-game on a stillborn console.

The numbers I can find seem to be around 1.3 million at one year after launch, which is a bit above what Xenogears sold at the same time (1.2 million).

The original game got shafted because Nintendo of America didn't really want anything to do with it. Project Rainfall was a fan effort to get Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower localized, and NoA went "yeah, no". Nintendo of Europe decided to do it though, and that's why all three games have British theater and TV actors as VA's. Xenoblade got a big release run in PAL regions, but come the US release it was made a Gamestop exclusive and Gamestop went out of their way to gently caress it up as badly as they could. On purpose.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The original game got shafted because Nintendo of America didn't really want anything to do with it. Project Rainfall was a fan effort to get Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower localized, and NoA went "yeah, no". Nintendo of Europe decided to do it though, and that's why all three games have British theater and TV actors as VA's. Xenoblade got a big release run in PAL regions, but come the US release it was made a Gamestop exclusive and Gamestop went out of their way to gently caress it up as badly as they could. On purpose.

Why would Gamestop gently caress it up on purpose?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LPG Giant posted:

Why would Gamestop gently caress it up on purpose?

iirc, they didn't want Wii games instock with the WiiU coming out, and they tried to flog off brand-new copies as second-hand for $90USD.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, they didn't want Wii games instock with the WiiU coming out, and they tried to flog off brand-new copies as second-hand for $90USD.

So why did they ask for an exclusive they didn't want? I'm assuming Nintendo didn't force them to make it an exclusive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They wanted it exclusive but since they had a monopoly they could effectively charge whatever they want and with the used copies basically did that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm so glad I picked up Xenoblade on launch day and paid a normal, sane price for a new copy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Please tell me none of you grinded up to lv 99 in Torna just so you could fight the lv 100 super boss.

I beat all the regular unique enemies but I doubt I will play through it again. Do you get second affinity charts if you do NG+? Is there any other point to it? Like hell yeah I just spent ten hours bored as hell doing menial side quests I can’t wait to do it again!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Please tell me none of you grinded up to lv 99 in Torna just so you could fight the lv 100 super boss.

I beat all the regular unique enemies but I doubt I will play through it again. Do you get second affinity charts if you do NG+? Is there any other point to it? Like hell yeah I just spent ten hours bored as hell doing menial side quests I can’t wait to do it again!!!

There are second affinity charts in NG+, and some characters that sell items that can only be bought with XP. Thats really it which is a bummer.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I didn't. I also didn't do new game plus after I found out that i'd have to do every community quest again because apparently I was an idiot and did them all in the first playthrough. Nooooo thanks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I didn't. I also didn't do new game plus after I found out that i'd have to do every community quest again because apparently I was an idiot and did them all in the first playthrough. Nooooo thanks.

But that’s the only way to max Mithra’s affinity chart, doesn’t that make sense to do it the first time and do the second chart the second time?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

But that’s the only way to max Mithra’s affinity chart, doesn’t that make sense to do it the first time and do the second chart the second time?

I think its just drivers that get NG+ charts

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I think you need max community level to unlock the superbosses in ng+ as well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I think you need max community level to unlock the superbosses in ng+ as well.

You just need to buy the notices off of the guy behind the seal in Aletta afaik. Beating them adds him to your community which gives you max level which does nothing but give you a sense of completion I guess.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the hidden affinity charts in NG+ were disappointing because you needed to grind a ton to unlock the cool stuff and I really didn't feel like grinding in NG+

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I'm so glad I picked up Xenoblade on launch day and paid a normal, sane price for a new copy.

I did too, hell it was available from Nintendo's website instead of GS at launch too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Just to clarify, I can get T-elos on my clear save before I start NG+, right? But the other six or seven Torna blades plus the ones from Challenge mode are NG+ only.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just to clarify, I can get T-elos on my clear save before I start NG+, right? But the other six or seven Torna blades plus the ones from Challenge mode are NG+ only.

Challenge Mode blades can be gotten in NG, it's just the Torna ones that are locked to NG+.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Telos is Post Game locked specifically, you can roll her as soon as you've cleared the game.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Telos is Post Game locked specifically, you can roll her as soon as you've cleared the game.

Yeah, this. I used T-elos for a good bit of post game content before starting NG+

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mythra's "spirit" design in Smash Bros. Ultimate tames up her design a bit. What do y'all think?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Her regular design was a bit too horny but that black on white is extremely ugly.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol the censored design looks better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn't have any issue if that was how she had always been, but it feel like it makes black the most dominant color which seems off. That said, I'm not sure what other color they could have used that wouldn't have felt weirder. Maybe flipping the tails on her dress to white might be enough to offset it?