Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Dino Bosco didn't deserve to be murdered but the longer you spend on that level listening to his nonstop whining, the less bad you feel about it.

Fun fact, that guy's voice actor was originally meant to voice 47 in Absolution which is actually referenced in some NPC dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The hilarious part is the movie studio finds hiring 47 to murder the director is cheaper than paying out his contract or letting him keep filming.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

the least evil target is the actor that plays Jasper Knight because he's literally just an actor who gets blown through the ceiling of an aircraft hanger during what is supposed to be simulated training

doesn't Diana say something along the lines of "Good thing he's wearing a parachute."?

Of course that's ignoring the head trauma from blasting through the roof :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Winklebottom posted:

doesn't Diana say something along the lines of "Good thing he's wearing a parachute."?
Yeah, they snuck that into the Hitman 2 version.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

Dino Bosco didn't deserve to be murdered but the longer you spend on that level listening to his nonstop whining, the less bad you feel about it.

Fun fact, that guy's voice actor was originally meant to voice 47 in Absolution which is actually referenced in some NPC dialogue.

Just think of him as the Chris Roberts of movies. Because he basically is.

Also I gotta remember that when I do the Icon again in 2. I didn't know that about his voice!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

another fun little voice actor thing is that 47 and pre-Absolution Diana have done Christmas cabarets in Copenhagen for the past 35 years

I've seen them a few times. They're... not good (great voices though)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Winklebottom posted:

another fun little voice actor thing is that 47 and pre-Absolution Diana have done Christmas cabarets in Copenhagen for the past 35 years

I've seen them a few times. They're... not good (great voices though)

Please somehow get this as a costume for 47. Even just the wig. Please

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The Narrator posted:

Please somehow get this as a costume for 47. Even just the wig. Please

Google "Crazy Christmas Cabaret" if you want to see David Bateson in increasingly silly costumes

He was Space Trump last year

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

One of the militia members in the barn upper floor lays it out pretty well. Rose is a psychopath who obsessively seeks symbolic causes that will give him a justification to kill people. He really doesn't care what the ideology is, he'll get swept up in anything if it means people will die.

It appears that a writer for Hitman has probably written the Hitman 2 target description entries on the hitman fandom wiki. They're in prose and contain a number of details that aren't anywhere in the game. This is not a good sign about the quality of writing in the future, because it means this person is working off of an extensive self-documented canon that is only partially communicated to players in the actual games.

Those descriptions are copy pasted from the target Intel on the pause screen /mission briefing (just select the target on either and there will be a prompt for "view Intel"). Alma Reynard and Wazir Kale's profiles can even only be viewed once the game designates them as targets during their levels. And I thought I was kidding for saying I was a bigger lore nerd than you for reading those things earlier in the thread, lol.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh hey, a 1.2GB update.
Oh hey, servers are down for maintenance.
Can elusive targets be taken down while in offline mode, or do they require server connectivity?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1064838400031842304?s=19

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alright, so like 1.5 hours more, then.
I was going to ask how the game is in offline mode but wow.
Everything is locked off, can't even see challenges or masteries per map.
Items are still unlocked and usable, but I can't smuggle things in because those mastery unlocks are online dependent.

How utterly bizarre. I'm kinda worried that things won't unlock properly if I do bother to play right now. (Was thinking of doing a last couple laps on Miami before doing the elusive target. )

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i liked hitman blood money, and hitman season 1.

I was really hoping they'd do away with the always online poo poo after ditching square or whoever.

I guess I'll begrudgingly get this on sale just because season 1 was fun but I would feel better about it if they got rid of the always online, would even be enticed towards paying full price and getting the gold edition, rather than waiting for the inevitable $20 for the lot edition.

The best thing about hitman to me, is having everything going horribly horribly wrong and trying to get away with it anyway.

Did they fix the hint system and make it so you don't get gps to the next press a to win spot?

I know you could disable it in season 1 but it was very hard to make any sense of what the game expected me to do without it on, but it was definitely more fun without it. If they made it so you could figure out how to do the cool assassinations partly with your brain and partly with some good hints that would be badass.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Rock Puncher posted:

i liked hitman blood money, and hitman season 1.

I was really hoping they'd do away with the always online poo poo after ditching square or whoever.

I guess I'll begrudgingly get this on sale just because season 1 was fun but I would feel better about it if they got rid of the always online, would even be enticed towards paying full price and getting the gold edition, rather than waiting for the inevitable $20 for the lot edition.

The best thing about hitman to me, is having everything going horribly horribly wrong and trying to get away with it anyway.

Did they fix the hint system and make it so you don't get gps to the next press a to win spot?

I know you could disable it in season 1 but it was very hard to make any sense of what the game expected me to do without it on, but it was definitely more fun without it. If they made it so you could figure out how to do the cool assassinations partly with your brain and partly with some good hints that would be badass.

The mission stories system can be set to full, off, or minimal, which tells you the next step of the opportunity (if you find the start point) but no ingame waypoints telling you where to find things/who to follow

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I haven't finished my playthrough of the season 1 maps and I'm wondering about Colorado: does it still force you to take the bunker exit when you play it in story mode? Am I going to have to play it in contracts to get the challenges for the other exits?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Most exit and starting location challenges seem to be gone from the base missions, I assume that's also true for Colorado.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Veotax posted:

I haven't finished my playthrough of the season 1 maps and I'm wondering about Colorado: does it still force you to take the bunker exit when you play it in story mode? Am I going to have to play it in contracts to get the challenges for the other exits?

yes

i hope they'll change it to be like the last season 2 level where that objective becomes optional

e: for anybody who used the intro skip thumbs.dat file before, i *think* i've fixed it so it works with the new patch

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hSVyKt4OExopWAQ1a2CDKVxSwh_mFyme

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 20, 2018

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

if a target finds their bodyguard's unconscious body approximately two seconds before they get shot in the head, does it ruin your silent assassin rating?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

if a target finds their bodyguard's unconscious body approximately two seconds before they get shot in the head, does it ruin your silent assassin rating?

Yes

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The hilarious part is the movie studio finds hiring 47 to murder the director is cheaper than paying out his contract or letting him keep filming.

All actors are insured movie to movie. The director probably is too. That's actually why Nicole Kidman and Robert Downey Jr. disappeared from movies for awhile. Both were unisurable for awhile. That's also how Marvel got Downey for dirt cheap for Iron Man 1.

Speaking of movies, I just saw The Mechanic and it's as close to a good Hitman movie we'll ever get. It even ends with a hitman.txt kill. How is the sequel?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Rock Puncher posted:

Meeeeh... I mean some of them you can do without hint markers and some you can. Like, without getting too deep into spoilers I just did one of the last level's mission stories where you have to "find a dagger" to start with. And no, they don't tell you at all where you can find a dagger and there's no way to know what to do without them pointing out the area it's in.

A great QOL improvement to the game would be turning guide markers off and on with the push of a button. Because some of them don't really require markers, just a working brain and the ability to follow clues. Others seem to just assume you always have markers turned on.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

King Vidiot posted:

Meeeeh... I mean some of them you can do without hint markers and some you can. Like, without getting too deep into spoilers I just did one of the last level's mission stories where you have to "find a dagger" to start with. And no, they don't tell you at all where you can find a dagger and there's no way to know what to do without them pointing out the area it's in.

A great QOL improvement to the game would be turning guide markers off and on with the push of a button. Because some of them don't really require markers, just a working brain and the ability to follow clues. Others seem to just assume you always have markers turned on.

Then don't follow them step by step. Mentally file away "I need a dagger to complete that mission" and just play the level more until you find it while doing other things.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The statue unveiling story mission in Colombia actually gives it away a little, if you take too long to find the band members, it just puts waypoints up to find them, even if you're on minimal :/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here's the patchnotes: https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-game-update-2-11/

Also for PC players there's a new vaguely named "Simulation Quality" option that defaults to the lowest setting. Turn it up and see what happens I suppose?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Killing a witness should erase the "never spotted" penalty. Dead men tell no tales. You're also getting a non-target penalty so it should even out rather than double up.

Wasn't there a little dog in blood money you had to shoot to get "no witnesses" bonus on the Christmas party level?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They've also revealed the Elusive Target suit unlock progression:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Known issues:

They know what's important

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

repiv posted:

Here's the patchnotes: https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-2-game-update-2-11/

Also for PC players there's a new vaguely named "Simulation Quality" option that defaults to the lowest setting. Turn it up and see what happens I suppose?

The patch merged with my legacy missions download so now i have to download 30+ gigs before i can play again :negative:
At least i can continue renovating the kitchen (probably sit on my rear end all day and watch Columbo).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Comparisons of Simulation Quality settings.

In game description.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 20, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Performance seems to have improved a lot with the new patch - previously I got about 60fps in busy crowds and 100fps in the least demanding areas, but now it's more like 75 min 130 max.

(8700k/GTX1070 running 1440p max settings, including the new simulation setting)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

repiv posted:

Imperial classic suit, you have my attention.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
For anyone who wants a tl;dr version of the patch notes, it is entirely bug fixes and setting things up for the Elusive Target later today, except for one gameplay change:

quote:

Silent Target Assassin
The knowledge of a target will no longer count against the Silent Assassin rating. To clarify, if a target spots you before you kill them, the SA rating is still awarded. However, if the target’s knowledge is shared to any other NPC, the SA rating is not awarded.

:bubblewoop:

Also, hey StrixNebulosa, good news: you’re not crazy.

quote:

Trespassing Makeover
We’ve fixed an issue that could cause 47 to be trespassing while following the doctor during the ‘Makeover’ Mission Story.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wheres the unlockable wet suit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

elf help book posted:

Wheres the unlockable wet suit

Not an empty quote, it's literally the only new suit I like.

Pirate Jet posted:

Also, hey StrixNebulosa, good news: you’re not crazy.

Haha, go figure that they fix it the day after I complain about it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's not mentioned in the patch notes, but the concealable 5mm is now suppressed like it was in the first game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Farm Frenzy posted:

Not anymore :D

Also I disagree on "find a dagger" not having direction on minimal, there are multiple NPC conversations where it's made very clear that it's in a random crate in the artifact storage room somewhere and they just don't know which one -- although I suppose that depends on what direction you tackle the mission from, because I think if you scale the walls straight into Janus's burial prep room and get the opportunity there, you miss out on all the hint conversations between other NPCs on that floor. I approached it by going through the castle, though, and picked up a bunch of foreshadowing about the dagger's location before I actually got the prompt

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

repiv posted:

It's not mentioned in the patch notes, but the concealable 5mm is now suppressed like it was in the first game.

Oh hell yeah. I never played with it in 2016 but it seemed useless in this

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

repiv posted:

I'm hyped because suit collecting kept me interested in S1 much longer than it should have, but on a side note, does anyone else think the Colombia suit basically looks like 47 dressing like an 80 year-old man? Why are his pants so high?

The gloves on the ET unlock do not help this look.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not an empty quote, it's literally the only new suit I like.

My main gripe with the wetsuit is that 47 wears what appears to be a pair of jeans over it.

Here's hoping IOI gives us a target to assassinate for that crime against fashion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm hyped because suit collecting kept me interested in S1 much longer than it should have

I'm hoping that eventually, very long into the future, when they run out of Season 2 ETs, they rotate the Season 1 ETs back in yet again and let us unlock those 6 suits as well.