Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I understand that, but I guess my central problem is that the only reason that it happened during Vicky's time period instead of eu4's is due to circumstances making the breaking point come a bit later. There is no reason conservative Europe's nightmare scenario of social revolutionary ideas spreading across the whole world couldn't happen. There was nothing so singularly special about the French revolution that would preclude other countries also falling to a similar revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's half amusing and half maddening how the AI always singles you out for any war in which you are a part of, no matter how tangential you are. I join Russia's war on Korea as Mamluks just so I don't lose the alliance and go about my business, preparing to take all of East africa....

WTH why is the whole korean army pillaging my half of Persia instead of fighting the ruskies? They either wove through a bunch of russian stacks and some 6000 miles to get to me, or crossed all of Ming, SE Asia, and 3-4 of the Indian sub-states for the express purpose of taking a dump in my corn flakes rather than fighting the guys sieging their provinces. It seems to happen nearly every time; they will let their capitals get fully sieged by a neighbor's 12-stack just so they can come to my lands and ruin my prosperity.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sephyr posted:

It's half amusing and half maddening how the AI always singles you out for any war in which you are a part of, no matter how tangential you are. I join Russia's war on Korea as Mamluks just so I don't lose the alliance and go about my business, preparing to take all of East africa....

WTH why is the whole korean army pillaging my half of Persia instead of fighting the ruskies? They either wove through a bunch of russian stacks and some 6000 miles to get to me, or crossed all of Ming, SE Asia, and 3-4 of the Indian sub-states for the express purpose of taking a dump in my corn flakes rather than fighting the guys sieging their provinces. It seems to happen nearly every time; they will let their capitals get fully sieged by a neighbor's 12-stack just so they can come to my lands and ruin my prosperity.

That was part of the AI behavior that was supposed to be changed for the Poland update, I think. Or is that change coming in the next patch? I haven't had much experience with the poland update but yeah, I've gotten this a lot with the AI. They have threat assessment algorithms but players are weighted fairly heavily in them (as they probably should be). They don't respect distance enough though and are far too willing to send their armies on six month+ excursions while abandoning more important theaters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're improving the AI in the next patch.

And the AI definitely prioritizes going after the player to a high degree. It's pretty easy to test, too. Declare war on someone and occupy a bunch of their provinces. Then call in an ally and give them control of a few of those provinces randomly. Then sit back and watch as the enemy AI takes back all of the provinces you have controlled before working on the ally controlled ones.

There's a lot of other dumb poo poo that the AI does too. Like how two countries at war will prioritize sieging over attacking armies, so they just alternate between occupying each other's territory and taking it back. Or how AI countries never upgrade capitol forts if they don't start with one. Or how colonial nations never lower their war exhaustion. It's kind of bad right now.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 19, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I understand that, but I guess my central problem is that the only reason that it happened during Vicky's time period instead of eu4's is due to circumstances making the breaking point come a bit later. There is no reason conservative Europe's nightmare scenario of social revolutionary ideas spreading across the whole world couldn't happen. There was nothing so singularly special about the French revolution that would preclude other countries also falling to a similar revolution.

Revolutionary rebels can spawn everywhere, it's just only only the one country can be The Revolution. Think of it as everywhere else at least having a 'don't do that's example to keep it from being QUITE as chaotic as the French revolution.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's a lot of other dumb poo poo that the AI does too. Like how two countries at war will prioritize sieging over attacking armies, so they just alternate between occupying each other's territory and taking it back.

That ones actually smart though, if you can take siege faster and take someone out of the war without fighting it saves you a lot of casualties. It turns into a clusterfuck when they're both evenly matched, but in that case they're probably better off with their eventual white peace than with a hellwar that leaves both winner and loser eaten by non-hellwarred neighbors.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 19, 2018

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey how come subject power isn't factored into who gets to lead the religious leagues? I've got Brandenburg and Novgorod as my subjects and I'm obviously the dominant Protestant nation in Europe, but loving Bohemia is leading the Protestant League and they're also not starting the war because ???

If you go to the religious war screen and mouse over the leader it will show their power score and what power you need to become the leader. They became the first leader because they were the first elector to flip, and then for another leader to take over they need significantly more power (i think its like 30%?). You probably just need to build a few more units or tech up once.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've been watching some videos of animal kingdom in the new CK2 dlc, Ottermen when?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

If you go to the religious war screen and mouse over the leader it will show their power score and what power you need to become the leader. They became the first leader because they were the first elector to flip, and then for another leader to take over they need significantly more power (i think its like 30%?). You probably just need to build a few more units or tech up once.

Thanks for explaining things I already knew and wasn't even complaining about :thumbsup:

My mil score is evenly matched with Bohemia's, so getting 30% more can't be solved by just building a few more units. The issue is that my subjects' power doesn't contribute to the score at all.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks for explaining things I already knew and wasn't even complaining about :thumbsup:

My mil score is evenly matched with Bohemia's, so getting 30% more can't be solved by just building a few more units. The issue is that my subjects' power doesn't contribute to the score at all.

Just buy like 30 or 50 merc infantry and let a month tick and then disband them once you become the war leader.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not asking for advice buddy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Not meaning to add to the wonderful pile of systems and rules of EU4, but it would be fun if there was an option to have mercenaries who are pillaging provinces to cost less or no upkeep.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You already get cash from looting though. It doesn't really make sense for the loot to end up both in the mercenaries's hands and in your coffers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

reignonyourparade posted:

That ones actually smart though, if you can take siege faster and take someone out of the war without fighting it saves you a lot of casualties. It turns into a clusterfuck when they're both evenly matched, but in that case they're probably better off with their eventual white peace than with a hellwar that leaves both winner and loser eaten by non-hellwarred neighbors.

A large number of the time, this results in two minor powers having siege races when one has a clear numerical advantage over the other. I've seen one province minors win against three province minors because they got luckier on their siege rolls, when the 3 province minor should've just defeated the opm's stack. This is not smart.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Especially true during subject colonial wars that you tell them to start.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It also means they take on a ton of devastation and war exhaustion, which cripples them economically even if they do win and makes them more susceptible to revolts and more likely to be attacked by other countries.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I am pretty confused by the new dev diary. Wasn't this the plot of Tropico 2?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh cool, coastal raiding is everywhere now. Definitely not going to be buying this expansion.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah when I was reading that and saw they were adding it to other government types I naively thought "oh cool I guess they're finally gonna revise that at the same time" and looked forward to see later in the dev diary what they were planning to change about it, but

Anyway that aside this seems pretty cool. I hope they'll end up adding Wako pirates later on too.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I feel like a couple of threads ago I made a joke about how Paradox are going to make pirates playable before Maori

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Playable Tonga when?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pirate Republics seems like we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here. EU5 when?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno, for an expansion giving a lot of attention to the Caribbean I think it makes a lot of sense. Pirates are one of the most famous things about this entire period really.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone else extremely milquetoast about the features announced in this DD? I have a feeling I will be continuing to speak with my wallet here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well the Spain stuff sounds pretty reasonable, and the AI work has been a long time coming for sure, but some of this marine stuff, flagships, and Pirate Republics seems like it'll be so rare as to never matter.

Honestly having played a couple weeks of M&T I really wish they'd start pulling some of the complexities of that into the base game to make country management deeper, with estates and autonony a real issue. But I know Johan hates that idea, and I have no idea if Jake has the influence or inclination to pull it in that direction.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Coastal raiding is fine as a concept, but as implemented it's not very fun to play with or against. If you have it it's tedious to keep track of the cooldown and manually move your boats around to click the button. If you're playing against it you can't do anything about it except hunt pirates, but the nanosecond you pull your fleet off that to do something else like help in a war, bam your coasts are devastated. At the very least you should get a CB on a nation that raids your coasts and having a truce should block them from raiding.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Family Values posted:

At the very least you should get a CB on a nation that raids your coasts and having a truce should block them from raiding.

Especially since there were several prominent wars against pirate nations during the game's time period.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, what's stopping players or AIs from just sending 50k troops to the pirates nation capitals and crush them the second they come out, exactly?

I mean pirates lived on the concept that it was hard to send huge amount of troops to their home bases, but in eu4 there is no mechanic preventing shipping your whole army to anywhere in the world... And don't tell me we're going to get aggressive expansion when attacking pirates, it would make even less sense. Oh look Spain killed Blackbeard and sacked his hideout, now he's not going to terrorize everyone, this makes us so mad :mad:

I feel sad saying this because I love the game, but it's really time for EU5 guys, stop tacking on silly mechanics and rethink the core game instead (and to be doubly clear, I appreciate that pirates are a huge part of the time period but this is not the way to put them in game, unless they have some special rules this is just going to either get them crushed immediately or make them an unstoppable annoyance forever like current coastal raiding. I would rather have a ton of pirate events interacting with colonies and their mother countries, and of course their rivals, than separate tiny pirate nations)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, I could see a situation where nations could do business with pirates and privateers to supplement their own fleets during wartime (and incentivize raiding their rivals in peacetime), and the more people who do this fund pirates that go out and, well, pirate trade nodes. I've always found the current piracy mission a little funky, and it often means that you don't really end up with a whole lot of pirates. Cutting down naval force limits and funding independent ships and pirates instead could potentially be an interesting change where ships are a temporary thing rather than a permanent investment.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm irritated by the fact they don't spell out that pirates themselves are paid feature. I'm almost sure they are but DD only says that you need expansion to play as pirates.

On the other hand, they might be hesitant to sell the expansion with this feature because for 99% of nations you'd only notice constant raiding. All the other features are situational, can be ignored or only affect Iberia, but that thing will haunt you wherever you are. So they might add pirates in a patch, similar to how colonial nations - another feature that makes a player less powerful - came in a patch.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

TorakFade posted:

So, what's stopping players or AIs from just sending 50k troops to the pirates nation capitals and crush them the second they come out, exactly?

I mean pirates lived on the concept that it was hard to send huge amount of troops to their home bases, but in eu4 there is no mechanic preventing shipping your whole army to anywhere in the world... And don't tell me we're going to get aggressive expansion when attacking pirates, it would make even less sense. Oh look Spain killed Blackbeard and sacked his hideout, now he's not going to terrorize everyone, this makes us so mad :mad:

It's strange. Previously Berbers had a national idea that made coring them painful. And they could take Aristocratic national ideas that made their land even more undesirable. But pirate ideas do not seem to have anything like that, or even anything about attrition and defense, which Knights have. Being Republic they're unable to get core cost modifier. It seems like they already had a good idea of implementing pirates with Berbers but here they forgot about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This next expansion is named and dated. Golden Century, releasing December 11th for $10. https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-golden-century/EUEU04ESK0000059.html

What a bizarre game this is, where "Minority Expulsion" is the top bullet point in an expansion feature set. I'm honestly surprised Paradox is openly framing and promoting the feature that way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah uh, generally I think EU4 could do a lot more in order to deal with colonialism, but I think overall it's fine since you can just play as an indigenous group and kill the invaders. But some of these xpac features are not well thought out and kinda skirt the worst aspects of the real world system that they're trying to represent in their game.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
This looks really lackluster, especially bad compared to Holy Fury.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It's a $10 "immersion pack" compared to holy fury being a $20 full expansion. And then Holy Fury is only jam-packed with stuff because it's Paradox's last hurrah for CK2 (no more expacs).

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
And had like a years of development time or so.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is the music DLC "Friedman's Epistles" only available on ParadoxPlaza? I've been missing out!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Tbh, holy fury is kinda crazy in its scope compared to pretty much any DLC for a long while, with the only one I find even vaguely comparable being the OG Old Gods

Dunno that would be in EUIV terms; I started on uhhh, the Russia one?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is the music DLC "Friedman's Epistles" only available on ParadoxPlaza? I've been missing out!

KLONG KLONG KLONG KLONG

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish johan didn't suck and would make EU more like MEIOU + taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Phi230 posted:

I wish johan didn't suck and would make EU more like MEIOU + taxes

I too think professional development studios should take a franchise already seen by some as complex and impenetrable and turn it into a comically dense puzzle box with a nonsensical UI