Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They could make Fallout: New Jersey. It would be easy to make since New Jersey after the Apocalypse would look exactly the same.

Speaking as a lifelong New Jerseyian, this is pure horseshit libel. The roving bands of marauders would be much better drivers, so you'd see fewer accidents as you drove down the turnpike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Does Hitman 2 still have that weird thing where native speakers from a nation have a completely bland American accent when they talk? Like, in Hitman (2016) a Moroccan man will walk up to me and say in a very plain American voice "oh didn't see you there " and its jarring as all hell.

No, everyone has local accents now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Speaking as a lifelong New Jerseyian, this is pure horseshit libel. The roving bands of marauders would be much better drivers, so you'd see fewer accidents as you drove down the turnpike.

:laffo: jesus christ

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I just started Hollow Knight for PS4 and while I think it's a beautiful and fun game, Jesus H. Christ the map system is so annoying! I totally get what they're going for; in a way I sometimes like the feeling of being lost when I get to a new area, but I disagree with a lot of how they decided to go about it.

I think the most obnoxious thing is that there is no (in game) way to map your progress before you buy a map that can only be found in the area in question, but that the map that you purchase is incomplete and you then have to fill it in yourself. I would have much prefered to be able to map the area myself prior to buying the map and then having the option to purchase a version of it that might have info on rooms I haven't found yet.

It's also a little irritating how you have to equip a trinket that uses one of your EXTREMELY valuable slots if you want to know where you are on the map. Again, I see where they're going eith this, but the frustrating part is that figuring out where you are on the map really isn't difficult, so it's hard to justify wasting the charm slot, but it takes several seconds ("okay, I started from that bench and went left, then down..."), so it becomes annoying pretty fast.

Smaller annoyance: the fact that the map doesn't reflect the paths that you can take, but just the general shape of the room and its exits, which makes it "videogame-y", like if there's a path winding up and down and expands into a maze with multiple dead ends and exits, it'll just show up as one big rectangle because for the game it's just one "room".

It's still an amazing game, it just feels like they tried to fix something that wasn't broken by remaking the standard Metroid-style map.

Edit to add: I'm also not a fan of how you lose a third of your soul when you die and the only way to get it back is to get to your corpse, because I played a bit this morning and died a few times to the same boss and decided to go do something else, but unless I go all the way back to the boss room, I'll never get that soul back. It's not a big deal, since I'm guessing that if I kill myself and run THAT corpse it'll be fine, but it seems odd.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Nov 21, 2018

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I'm enjoying the Let's Go game as an interesting spin mechanically on an old classic but this game should have come out for the Gamecube in 2005. The series as a whole has been making such tiny increments in quality with each generation that it's only recently made enough advances that it feels like they are vastly improved. But they aren't, not compared to modern games that are similar, they're only vastly improved compared to R/B through 20 years of effort and even though I know this I still got suckered and still like it all the same.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

CordlessPen posted:

I just started Hollow Knight for PS4 and while I think it's a beautiful and fun game, Jesus H. Christ the map system is so annoying! I totally get what they're going for; in a way I sometimes like the feeling of being lost when I get to a new area, but I disagree with a lot of how they decided to go about it.

I think the most obnoxious thing is that there is no (in game) way to map your progress before you buy a map that can only be found in the area in question, but that the map that you purchase is incomplete and you then have to fill it in yourself. I would have much prefered to be able to map the area myself prior to buying the map and then having the option to purchase a version of it that might have info on rooms I haven't found yet.

It's also a little irritating how you have to equip a trinket that uses one of your EXTREMELY valuable slots if you want to know where you are on the map. Again, I see where they're going eith this, but the frustrating part is that figuring out where you are on the map really isn't difficult, so it's hard to justify wasting the charm slot, but it takes several seconds ("okay, I started from that bench and went left, then down..."), so it becomes annoying pretty fast.

Smaller annoyance: the fact that the map doesn't reflect the paths that you can take, but just the general shape of the room and its exits, which makes it "videogame-y", like if there's a path winding up and down and expands into a maze with multiple dead ends and exits, it'll just show up as one big rectangle because for the game it's just one "room".

It's still an amazing game, it just feels like they tried to fix something that wasn't broken by remaking the standard Metroid-style map.

Edit to add: I'm also not a fan of how you lose a third of your soul when you die and the only way to get it back is to get to your corpse, because I played a bit this morning and died a few times to the same boss and decided to go do something else, but unless I go all the way back to the boss room, I'll never get that soul back. It's not a big deal, since I'm guessing that if I kill myself and run THAT corpse it'll be fine, but it seems odd.
I am very near the end of Hollow Knight and it's pretty darn great. I hated the map system at first, but in the end I... actually kind of like it. It creates a nice sense of unease and hostility when exploring a new area. The compass is stupid and superfluous, though.

Your shade should generally be recoverable without engaging the boss that killed you, but perhaps there are exceptions that I never encountered. In any case, get a simple key and open the chamber on the far right of Dirtmouth past the graveyard. Then you'll be able to trade something with no other purpose for your shade to be recovered.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Quantum Conundrum is all physics-based puzzles where you can reverse gravity, turn things light or heavy, and put things in slow motion. Real fun one to puzzle through with my young kids, as even they could help spot things to do.

The bad parts:
- A never-patched bug deletes your save if you don't go to the pause menu and click "exit game" every single time you exit.
- The ending of the game resolves nothing and just swaps two characters to try to push the DLC
- The writing was really bad. They were going for a GlaDOS vibe and utterly fell flat. Every room sounds like an alzheimer-dazed man just stringing sentences together to fill time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So is ac: unity worth a punt for ten bucks? I enjoy the historical settings and general gameplay of the series. Like syndicate was fairly fun for me. Do you get to gently caress around in the old louvre and storm the bastille?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ilmucche posted:

So is ac: unity worth a punt for ten bucks? I enjoy the historical settings and general gameplay of the series. Like syndicate was fairly fun for me. Do you get to gently caress around in the old louvre and storm the bastille?

You're mostly fighting against the people who stormed the Bastille, because it turns out the revolution was an evil templar plot duping the citizens into turning against the benevolent wise nobility lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nostradingus posted:

Or maybe gamers are just awful people who can't like anything

This sounds about right. I think people just want another mainstream Pokemon game and didn't realize that this isn't it, nor was it ever meant to be. It's a more casual version of Pokemon.

My gf, who also plays the regular Pokemon series, Bioware games, AC games etc, also likes it incidentally. I can tell it's not really a game I'd be super into though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Bring wild Pokémon appearing on the map and having your Pokémon run around outside of the Pokeball into the main games, thanks.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Bring wild Pokémon appearing on the map and having your Pokémon run around outside of the Pokeball into the main games, thanks.

The latter was in HeartGold and SoulSilver and I loved it. I have no idea why they didn't bring it back until now.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I think the Go style catching could be fine if motion controls were divorced from it and you also had the option to hit the "gently caress it, time to fight" button. I imagine it's even easier to run from a random encounter if you don't have to spend 10 seconds waiting for your Pokemon to exit the ball first, since you'd only release them if you wanted a fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The latter was in HeartGold and SoulSilver and I loved it. I have no idea why they didn't bring it back until now.

Schubalts posted:

808 Pokemon. Gotta make a model of them from every direction floating/rolling/charging/flying/etc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

808 Pokemon. Gotta make a model of them from every direction floating/rolling/charging/flying/etc.

and then when they did make those models it was on a portable that chugged like hell during battle at times so they waited until the switch to do it for real

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game since Ruby on gba. They all just feel like the same game repackaged with a new roster and tiny little qol improvements. Even turning off animations battles still just take forever. It's like a jrpg where the encounter rate is through the roof and battles take at least twice as long as they need to

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Whatev posted:

Your shade should generally be recoverable without engaging the boss that killed you, but perhaps there are exceptions that I never encountered. In any case, get a simple key and open the chamber on the far right of Dirtmouth past the graveyard. Then you'll be able to trade something with no other purpose for your shade to be recovered.
You're right, it is (or at least it's always been so far), but when i wrote that I was getting stomped by Mawlek, which was (still is!) at the end of a path where I have nothing left to do, so if I wanted to do something else I had to go down to the bottom of the Crossroad then climb back up and then go somewhere else, which I didn't do. It really wasn't that big a deal since I got the soul back after dying to the miners in Crystal Peak and getting that shade back, it just seems a bit weird that you'd lose something so... intrinsic every time you die and that it's so difficult but at the same time easy to get back that it feels a bit useless.

I hope my post doesn't discourage anyone from playing Hollow Knight because it's an amazing game (and a freakin' bargain!), but those 2 things just feel... off.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Len posted:

I haven't enjoyed a Pokemon game since Ruby on gba. They all just feel like the same game repackaged with a new roster and tiny little qol improvements. Even turning off animations battles still just take forever. It's like a jrpg where the encounter rate is through the roof and battles take at least twice as long as they need to

I was enjoying Black but then I accidentally deleted my save of like 10ish hours and I can't manage to get through the start of the game again so that's pissed me off.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You're mostly fighting against the people who stormed the Bastille, because it turns out the revolution was an evil templar plot duping the citizens into turning against the benevolent wise nobility lol
They also think Karl Marx was Bill Clinton so maybe they aren't so bright, these writers.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Been messing around in RDR2 and found something new. Shady Confederates buying a cart full of ammo, enter guns drawn because I always forget RB is stop. Head shot them all, steal cart, and drive it perfectly to the fence 5-7 mins away...

$40 loving dollars for 2 horses, and a cart full of ammunition. Not doing that poo poo again

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
shadow of mordor is very easy, which means i hardly ever die, so the nemesis system doesn't really get a chance to shine and that's the only interesting thing about the whole game. i could make an effort to die on purpose but that's no fun either. the final mission is incredibly anticlimactic too, not just because i think i'd only seen my final nemesis once before, but it's even less challenging and dramatic than some of the missions earlier in the game.

ratbag is fun though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, probably.

The city itself looks fantastic and they used some sorcery to make it actually feel crowded with people. The story isn't that interested in the revolution (and when it is it has some bad ideas about politics and history) but if you can look past that it's fun to muck around in.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HAmbONE posted:

Been messing around in RDR2 and found something new. Shady Confederates buying a cart full of ammo, enter guns drawn because I always forget RB is stop. Head shot them all, steal cart, and drive it perfectly to the fence 5-7 mins away...

$40 loving dollars for 2 horses, and a cart full of ammunition. Not doing that poo poo again

Basically all of my money made in that game was from looted pocketwatches. I loved by time with RDR2 from start to finish, but I can't say it's not a little weird that I finished with like, none of the extra stuff completed. The extra stuff was fun but had such little tangible reward that I just didn't get into it.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

They also think Karl Marx was Bill Clinton so maybe they aren't so bright, these writers.

The implication that famous historical figures knowingly endorsed groups of assassins taking care of their enemies really starts to get sketchy as they come closer to the modern age.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HairyManling posted:

That sounds terrible. I don’t know much about programming, but is it really time or resource consuming to implement a password system like the later Soulsborne games have? Seems like something Bethesda did on purpose because reasons.. Or am I missing the point entirely and there’s a good reason you’d want random people in your game? I was thinking of getting this for my son for Christmas, but everything I’m hearing about it sounds like it sucks.

To be honest it doesn’t make much of a difference. The map is so big that you rarely run into other players and the PvP is barely there(and pretty much optional).

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

CordlessPen posted:

You're right, it is (or at least it's always been so far), but when i wrote that I was getting stomped by Mawlek, which was (still is!) at the end of a path where I have nothing left to do, so if I wanted to do something else I had to go down to the bottom of the Crossroad then climb back up and then go somewhere else, which I didn't do. It really wasn't that big a deal since I got the soul back after dying to the miners in Crystal Peak and getting that shade back, it just seems a bit weird that you'd lose something so... intrinsic every time you die and that it's so difficult but at the same time easy to get back that it feels a bit useless.

I hope my post doesn't discourage anyone from playing Hollow Knight because it's an amazing game (and a freakin' bargain!), but those 2 things just feel... off.
w
Hollow Knight is crazy good. I remember being annoyed at the map at first but as you play it you kind of get better at working out where you are and different shortcuts and the like. I don’t think you would gain those skills if you always knew where you were.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spinning Robo posted:

The implication that famous historical figures knowingly endorsed groups of assassins taking care of their enemies really starts to get sketchy as they come closer to the modern age.
It certainly gets more accurate.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

hoo boy can't wait for when they have hillary in one of these games

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
I have information that could lead to the arrest of Hillary Cl-THUNK

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well it's one thing when it's Winston Churchill or George Washington but I feel like Charles Dickens might be a stretch.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

Could someone from FF 14 come and take the lovely Behemoth out of Monster Hunter World please, its making GBS threads up the game, I love it when he casts Ecliptic Meteor and blows everyone up because either the comets shattered early or people weren't hiding behind them.

Love how if you don't have a team of dedicated friends or get very lucky in pubbie roulette that his music is just the new music of Astera now, forever, until you beat him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Drunk Nerds posted:

- The writing was really bad. They were going for a GlaDOS vibe and utterly fell flat. Every room sounds like an alzheimer-dazed man just stringing sentences together to fill time

It sucks too because it's John fuckin' de Lancie and he's just left to awkwardly flail through tedious "god I loathe you" type dialogue for the entire game.

Also for a game with a lot of platforming, the jump physics are kinda hosed.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'll fully admit this is almost 85% irrationally irritating and less of a drag-down, but since we don't really have a thread for that with regards to games, specifically:

Zombies in Half-Life 2 (and its related products) have white shirts and blue denim pants. This is because, at some point in development, the civilian body-models had off-white shirts and blue denim pants. But in-between that moment and the time the powers that be decided that the civilian outfit should be blue denim shirts and blue denim pants, and so the model texture changed. Did it change on the headcrab zombie model? Nope, everyone who gets a headcrab stuck on loses their overshirt.

Every time I see a goddamned zombie in HL2, all I can think of is Gabe what is wrong with you, why didn't you have some dude retexture this one enemy, before realizing that on the whole of scope and scale, it's not a big deal. I'm sure they didn't bother because zombies in HL1 had basically-white shirts on. But man...

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay can someone shed some light on this one

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Assassin, your target is a Templar deep cover agent simultaneously prolonging the war on terror by providing vital logistical support from a US diplomatic compound, and filtering the profits procured from ancient Templar supply sites through an esoteric online money laundering fund posing as a game about spaceships.

FULL SYNCHRONIZATION OBJECTIVE: push him down some "stairs" lmao!!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MisterBibs posted:

I'll fully admit this is almost 85% irrationally irritating and less of a drag-down, but since we don't really have a thread for that with regards to games, specifically:

Zombies in Half-Life 2 (and its related products) have white shirts and blue denim pants. This is because, at some point in development, the civilian body-models had off-white shirts and blue denim pants. But in-between that moment and the time the powers that be decided that the civilian outfit should be blue denim shirts and blue denim pants, and so the model texture changed. Did it change on the headcrab zombie model? Nope, everyone who gets a headcrab stuck on loses their overshirt.

Every time I see a goddamned zombie in HL2, all I can think of is Gabe what is wrong with you, why didn't you have some dude retexture this one enemy, before realizing that on the whole of scope and scale, it's not a big deal. I'm sure they didn't bother because zombies in HL1 had basically-white shirts on. But man...

Play HL2 enough and you really start to notice that the zombies only have one texture and one set of animations. One of the smarter things Left 4 Dead 1 did was having a giant set of textures for the infected that changed depending on where you were.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

StandardVC10 posted:

Play HL2 enough and you really start to notice that the zombies only have one texture and one set of animations. One of the smarter things Left 4 Dead 1 did was having a giant set of textures for the infected that changed depending on where you were.

Plus one out of so many zombies was Hitler

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Also that they had a very variable texturing shading system to increase variance between zombies using the same model & texture.
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/apps/valve/2010/GDC10_ShaderTechniquesL4D2.pdf

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Sky Force Reloaded

I like shmups. I enjoy the arcade experience of shooting for that perfect 1CC high score run, but after a while some change is nice.

So I got Sky Force Reloaded on the switch cause it boasted 16 stages (instead of the usual 5) and a permanent upgrade system where you buy upgrades between stages, and it had decent reviews.

But holy crap it's not a progression system, it's a grind system. You get up to 4 medals for completing objectives in a stage, and stages are locked with medal requirements (btw you have a stage select, you don't play the whole game arcade style). By stage 3 I was forced to grind for upgrades, and by stage 5 I was forced to grind for medals. Enemy health increases far faster than you get money for upgrades, and each of your ship subsystems have not 5, not 10, but 50 levels of upgrades.

The actual gameplay is fun, but come on. Let me choose to grind for the perfect score, don't make me grind stage (n-1) so I can play stage (n+1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BadMedic posted:

Sky Force Reloaded

I like shmups. I enjoy the arcade experience of shooting for that perfect 1CC high score run, but after a while some change is nice.

So I got Sky Force Reloaded on the switch cause it boasted 16 stages (instead of the usual 5) and a permanent upgrade system where you buy upgrades between stages, and it had decent reviews.

But holy crap it's not a progression system, it's a grind system. You get up to 4 medals for completing objectives in a stage, and stages are locked with medal requirements (btw you have a stage select, you don't play the whole game arcade style). By stage 3 I was forced to grind for upgrades, and by stage 5 I was forced to grind for medals. Enemy health increases far faster than you get money for upgrades, and each of your ship subsystems have not 5, not 10, but 50 levels of upgrades.

The actual gameplay is fun, but come on. Let me choose to grind for the perfect score, don't make me grind stage (n-1) so I can play stage (n+1)

It used to be a free-to-play phone game, where that kind of grind makes sense.