Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cardiovorax posted:

If you ever stumble over where is says that again, please link it here somewhere. I find it difficult to imagine a Great One just randomly keeling over and washing up on a shore somewhere, while I can definitely imagine the church finding the hamlet, using the phantasms to call on Kos and then killing and dissecting her for study. It's exactly what they do to people, too, after all.

Kos washing up on shore is from a specific weapon description, and all signs point to the Healing Church being formed after the Hamlet, as the curse is supposed to be directed at Byrgenwerth according to a few places.

It focuses on Gehrman because the Orphan was a scared child and Gehrman was slaughtering everyone to reach it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Kos washing up on shore is from a specific weapon description, and all signs point to the Healing Church being formed after the Hamlet, as the curse is supposed to be directed at Byrgenwerth according to a few places.

It focuses on Gehrman because the Orphan was a scared child and Gehrman was slaughtering everyone to reach it.

It was the Kos Parasite: "When the carcass of Kos washed up on the coast, its insides were teeming with tiny parasites, unlike any found in humans."

We already know that Great Ones need to die to have children, so Kos being dead isn't a surprise. The real question is if the parasites are the children, or if the Orphan was.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

We already know that Great Ones need to die to have children
Isn't it that the child dies whenever they have one?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
According to the umbilical cords, the theory goes that "every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate".

But for all we know, the Orphan could very well have been stillborn anyway. There's nothing out there to suggest that the Orphan was ever alive at all in the real world- the only thing we have that refers to it comes from the guy at the start of the Hamlet mumbling about 'the poor wizened child'. The little shimmering black ghostie that appears after you defeat the Orphan could be the only remnants of the real thing, with the gross creature that fights us being just a metaphorical Nightmare-created representation of it. Hence why it cries like Gehrman, looks like an old man, fights like a Hunter, etc.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 6, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, Oedon impregnates at least one woman and it seemingly doesn't kill him, so I figured that didn't quite right.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Even stillborn the Orphan witnessed the massacre and answered the villagers cries for a curse. Also yeah the actual boss is the kind of the Orphan creating an approximation of a Hunter. Hence it has explosive tools and a “trick” weapon, it jumps around and fights like a wild beast half the time.

Notably the halfway point is when it becomes less like a Hunter and more like a Great One, it even changes resistances slightly too.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

It was the Kos Parasite: "When the carcass of Kos washed up on the coast, its insides were teeming with tiny parasites, unlike any found in humans."

In my interpretation, Kos having already been dead when the Byrgenwerth scholars arrived is a pretty significant part of the story. After all, it seems that Byrgenwerth was studying the Great Ones in hopes of finding a way to transcend humanity, to essentially become as Gods - and then they find one of their Gods washed up on some beach like a rotting fish. Even the Great Ones, the highest form of existence, turned out to be just mortal flesh. I tend to believe this realization had quite an influence on the further schisms and quasi-religious quarrels among the scholars, and it might be part of the reason why the afterimage of the Fishing Hamlet is tucked away in the deepest corner of the Nightmare where even the people who know about it don't have to see it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Your last video wonderfully encapsulated to me what's so stirring about Bloodborne's story. By the time you reach the end of the game the prevailing atmosphere isn't horror or anger or madness but regret, and to me that actually separates that from a lot of the source material. Lovecraftian characters are pitiful victims of forces they can't resist or understand whose drive by the end is reduced to sheer survival. But the narrative in Bloodborne is "We did this to ourselves." Everything that happened, from the Fishing Hamlet to the Beast Plague, is the result of people making choices and being forced to live with them, and because their only gods are just as fallible and fleshy as they, there's no grace and forgiveness, no redos. Yarnham's mistakes are irredeemable. The hell of the nightmare for characters like Laurence, Ludwig and Maria isn't physical torment but the reality of living in the falllout of their actions (or the actions of their predecessors, in Maria's case). Ludwig is a hideous freak living alone in a basement full of corpses, Laurence lies inert and burning on the alter of the church he built, and Maria watches over a research hall full of deformed, murderous lunatics and routinely kills her colleagues who get funny ideas about digging up the past.

And then Gherman, who has more regret than anyone else, is trapped in the Hunter's Dream, unable to escape or correct the errors that led him there, and relives the regret of the Fishing Hamlet whenever he closes his eyes.

Nobody is happy, and not because they're the playthings of eldritch beings. It's because of conscious choices that they made and cannot escape.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The only merciful thing you've done all game is to spare Ebrietas and kill the Orphan.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Lovecraftian characters are pitiful victims of forces they can't resist or understand whose drive by the end is reduced to sheer survival. But the narrative in Bloodborne is "We did this to ourselves."
It's kind of ironic (in the proper sense) that the Beast Plague is actually Yharnam's smallest problem. The great ones are probably the nicest of the groups in the setting, because they really didn't do anything to anyone, they were really just in the wrong place at the wrong time and made the mistake of trying to help exactly the wrong people. Two of them are bosses and neither of them will willingly attack you unless you strike first. It says a lot that you can feel safer around the tentacle-faced abominations from beyond the stars than around the average hunter.

quote:

The hell of the nightmare for characters like Laurence, Ludwig and Maria isn't physical torment but the reality of living in the falllout of their actions
Which I'm sure has no small connection to why clerics always seem to turn into the worst and largest of beasts. The plague is what dearly departed old Terry Pratchett would've called a "literal metaphor:" it makes you into exactly as much of a monster as you were by your own choices.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
What do you know, even after all this time people are still finding entire cut bosses in the game files. And this one isn't even a spoiler at this point in the LP. (CJacobs, if you'd still rather have talk about cut content in general postponed until the LP is done, please tell me, then I'll remove the link. In any case, people should be aware that the other videos of that channel are probably spoilerific)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some future content discussed on Lance McDonald's channel will be spoilers for what little of Bloodborne we have left, so I'd say peruse at your own risk if you're avoiding them. But I do recommend clicking on that one to see OMEGA SNAKE VOLTRON in action as an example of what's buried in the alpha build of the game!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 9, 2018

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Are you taking a break after this, or are you going to MAKE US WHOLE right away?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For Dead Space I'm going to wait a fair bit probably, just to make sure I have a good backlog in case commentary ends up being hard to wrangle for a while. Alan Wake's American Nightmare will be starting as soon as I am able though, once The Surge and Bloodborne are finished.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That's fair. As someone who's never had the patience to play Dark Souls-like games I've enjoyed the poo poo out of your LPs of Bloodborne and The Surge. Keep on bringing us that PREMIUM CONTENT.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dead Space 2020!!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare will be starting as soon as I am able though, once The Surge and Bloodborne are finished.
:( Can't you do something fun instead? Your old playthrough of Alan Wake is probably your only LP that I could never finish watching. It's not even your fault, the game was just so incredibly boring to watch even with a running commentary. I've had fun watching you play far worse games just because you were clearly having a blast with it, but for all its production values, I can't recall more than five minutes worth of that one for the life of me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
whaaaa what about the heavy metal lightshow? that's just about the only thing i remember from A Wake, but i do remember the gameplay being a tonne of fun

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The gameplay of Alan Wake is great, but the changes in environment and encounter design are very subtle. The Old Gods stage is a high point for sure, but there's a lot of filler inbetween. A lot of spooky industrial yards and dark forests.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alan Wake's American Nightmare is much more action packed! They actually heard out the complaint that the gameplay drags and it's been very streamlined.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blood Sally posted:

whaaaa what about the heavy metal lightshow? that's just about the only thing i remember from A Wake, but i do remember the gameplay being a tonne of fun
I can still kinda whistle Children of the Elder Gods, if that helps.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
There're a lot more weapon and enemy types in American Nightmare that actually shake things up.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've been following Poets of the Fall since they had a song in Max Payne 2, so hearing them come up in Alan Wake was great fun for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A dream is not reality, but who's to say which is which?

* Make sure you watch this episode (and all my future LP videos) with YouTube's 4K setting to take advantage of the higher bitrate they offer at that quality! Even if you only watch on a 1080p screen or smaller, you will still see the videos in staggeringly higher quality than the 1080p setting! Look here for my explanation of what I've done to achieve this and how it works!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was wondering what the solution was going to be for the spider part of Bloodborne, as short as it is :v:

What an odd boss fight Micolash is. Running away is certainly something one uses sprint for a lot but I can't recall a single time in the Souls series where to you were explicitly chasing something with it, except for the crystal lizards and equivalents.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My understanding was that it only happened recently as before Rom died the Mensis scholars were unable to pierce into the world of nightmares.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

At the same time, Micolash and his buddies in Yahargul have turned into skeletons, so his particular transference must have happened some time ago. Maybe they did the first part of the Mensis ritual before Rom was turned into a Great One bulwark.

Maybe that's why Micolash keeps trying to contact Ebrietas (whose name was Kos in an earlier version of the game). He is using her power to fight you, since he doesn't seem to have any of his own, but the connection appears to be severed. For such an important mover and shaker in Yharnam he doesn't seem very informed of the goings on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hard to stay informed when you took a nap so deep you died.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

bony tony posted:

At the same time, Micolash and his buddies in Yahargul have turned into skeletons, so his particular transference must have happened some time ago. Maybe they did the first part of the Mensis ritual before Rom was turned into a Great One bulwark.

Maybe that's why Micolash keeps trying to contact Ebrietas (whose name was Kos in an earlier version of the game). He is using her power to fight you, since he doesn't seem to have any of his own, but the connection appears to be severed. For such an important mover and shaker in Yharnam he doesn't seem very informed of the goings on.

On the other hand you see flash-mummified corpses all throughout Yahar'gul, often fused into the very walls as they desperately fled from whatever unspeakable force was unleashed.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Kibayasu posted:

I was wondering what the solution was going to be for the spider part of Bloodborne, as short as it is :v:
Basically a Micolash impression right before actually encountering Micolash.

LP commentary isn't quite the same as Micolash talking though. Maybe if there was an "ah, dong, or as some say, dragon dildo" or so in there.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah the implication to me is that the Mensis Scholars were mindwalking for a while. Whilst the rest of Yahar’gul got taken over by the Pthumerians, and then it all goes to poo poo when you kill Rom and the Ritual finishes, petrifying nearly everyone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And as I mentioned, the Nightmare of Mensis is plainly visible from the Nightmare Frontier, which we visited before confronting Rom in this very let's play! It's possible that the Mensis college was vanished from the waking world long ago, with the Lecture Building serving as a transport, and its appearance in the Nightmare is totally independent of the ritual. The ritual itself already happened and resulted in the "stillbirth of [the scholars'] brains" by the time we are able to gain access, but now that the timeline has been twisted into knots by the cthulu invasion it's hard to know when the "already happened" actually refers to. I personally think it happened during the events of the game, and when we reach the Nightmare time has 'passed' such as it does thus that Micolash is the only living soul left. Everyone else is dead, insane, or a spider.

edit: And that isn't a joke either, the spiders really are the remnants of the Mensis scholars, meaning Patches evidently was one! We'll get very unfortunate further evidence of this in the next episode.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 23, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I literally just put the words Kosm and Cosmos together.

gently caress.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I have to know CJacobs: did you not notice the eye spiders, or do they not bother you because they don't move?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh I noticed them alright. There's a reason I sit cross-legged without my feet touching the floor when I play through this part!

edit: I'm goddamn glad they don't move though. See the SOMA stream for an example of how I react when things like that actually scuttle.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Holy poo poo I actually really like spiders and even THAT was like "are you kidding me, game!?"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In your eagerness to get away from the spiders you completely ran away from Edgar, Choir Intelligencer (the NPC hunter). He's proof that the Choir is aware of what the school of Mensis is doing, since he's there to keep an eye on things. He's not a very good spy, however, since he sticks out like a sore thumb and just kind of stands there like a lemon.

Here's a good and fun PvP trolling video starring everyone's favorite pencilneck: HERE

Philippe fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 25, 2018

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

* Make sure you watch this episode (and all my future LP videos) with YouTube's 4K setting to take advantage of the higher bitrate they offer at that quality! Even if you only watch on a 1080p screen or smaller, you will still see the videos in staggeringly higher quality than the 1080p setting! Look here for my explanation of what I've done to achieve this and how it works!

I'd love to take advantage of that, but the 4K video is like 3.8 GB compared to the 1080p video's ~0.9 GB, and my typically Australian Internet access (slow, limited and expensive) just isn't up to it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

bony tony posted:

In your eagerness to get away from the spiders you completely ran away from Edgar, Choir Intelligencer (the NPC hunter). He's proof that the Choir is aware of what the school of Mensis is doing, since he's there to keep an eye on things. He's not a very good spy, however, since he sticks out like a sore thumb and just kind of stands there like a lemon.

Here's a good and fun PvP trolling video starring everyone's favorite pencilneck: HERE

Edgar could be a member of the School of Mensis who gathered intelligence on the actions of the Choir, but then he’s still bad at his job because he’s in the Nightmare instead of Upper Cathedral Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antistar01 posted:

I'd love to take advantage of that, but the 4K video is like 3.8 GB compared to the 1080p video's ~0.9 GB, and my typically Australian Internet access (slow, limited and expensive) just isn't up to it.

Yeah, that's the one stopgap I can't get around unfortunately. Some people just don't have fast enough internet or good enough computers, which is a bummer, but 1080p doesn't really look any different than usual with the new method so it's not a big deal. Another fun statistic: When I render the videos in the first place, a 1080p video is about 2GB. A 4k video on the other hand is 9 GB :suicide: