Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I'm not yet convinced that fight isn't cursed like Ferguson-Khabib

But I hope that it isn't and that Max rips Ortega's steroid-using rear end a new one.

I don't know much about his juicing, but there is certainly something I don't care for about him.

Eh, don't want this to be a lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marching Powder posted:

vendetta probations

It's not a vendetta probation. Mainly because when you post the r word, after Jerusalem has said on more than one occasion it's probatable, you get probated for it. That's him enforcing that rule. If this is such a hugely egregious form of forum moderation, take it to the Admins in QCS. It's literally what that forum is for.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

I hope Holloway is good to go now. He's had to bow out of his last 3 quasi-scheduled bouts

I am trying not to have really, really bad feelings about Holloway continuing to fight and I am failing miserably.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I don't want Holloway to end up permanently like he was during that one scary interview, so hopefully the guy is ok now.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheKingslayer posted:

Oh hey. First time looking at the full UFC 231 card and it's looking pretty nice.

Yeah it looks rad.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Holloway vs Ortega is going to be very good

I'm worried it'll get cancelled, again. It's too good of a fight to let happen.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I wanna keep talking about how cool Max is.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CRISPYBABY posted:

Shoutout to fatherdog not probating me the time he was holding a dumb petty point in an argument and I told him he was dying on a frankie edgar sized hill.

FD would seldom if ever probe you but he would also bring up like heroin dependency from your past or whatever in an argument which also wasnt very cool imo, what im saying is mods are human and its ok to have opinions about it while simultaneously shrugging bc who gives a poo poo really

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Allegedly Holloway had to pass more medicals than usual for the AC to license him.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoespn/status/1064602472004481024?s=21

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I wanna keep talking about how cool Max is.

Both those fights are so loving good. The most impressive part to me is that Aldo looks about as good as he ever has in both. He might have lost a touch of speed from his early fights, but he's patient, meticulous and accurate in both, but Holloway just loving jumps on him the first time he makes a mistake. Then in the second, drags him into what looks like a wild exchange, but still picks his shots and avoids damage.

Holloway is really something special

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I hope that we can get Max vs TKZ some day.

Bluedeanie posted:

FD would seldom if ever probe you but he would also bring up like heroin dependency from your past or whatever in an argument which also wasnt very cool imo, what im saying is mods are human and its ok to have opinions about it while simultaneously shrugging bc who gives a poo poo really

I always found it interesting that he could post for 6 pages straight by only quoting his older posts.

I wonder how he's doin'.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Max seems really good at knowing just where to be when hooks are coming.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Fatherdog is fine, manyak and dunc dont use any internet associated witj their something awfuls because people were trying to use fyad stuff to impact their careers, and keven is trying to save all his creative juice for stand up/writing.

The toronto card looks awesome. I like bektic and i hope they get someone to replace him because moicano would be great to watch

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

david carmichael posted:

Fatherdog is fine, manyak and dunc dont use any internet associated witj their something awfuls because people were trying to use fyad stuff to impact their careers, and keven is trying to save all his creative juice for stand up/writing.

The toronto card looks awesome. I like bektic and i hope they get someone to replace him because moicano would be great to watch

I hope Dunc is ok, he was cool off of SA as well, I had something important to ask him the other day but he deleted his whole Twitter and everything that we used to talk off of outside of SA.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah that 231 card looks pretty great, is Joanna vs Valentina for the Flyweight Title?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that 231 card looks pretty great, is Joanna vs Valentina for the Flyweight Title?

Yep

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Appears so. Wonder what Joanna's cardio will look like without the hard cut? She wasn't having much trouble before of course. Just wonder if her output will be higher.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The good news is that because Joanna never admitted she's lost she becomes a two division champion with a win

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's just simple MMAth

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think this is a tough one for Joanna, Shevchenko has three muay thai wins over her and is the better grappler.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I know in MMA things change a lot from straight kickboxing but I think you're right. Joanna might find herself in a weird spot after that fight.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Here's the posture guy's post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651602&pagenumber=17&perpage=40#post432435333

The UFC 161 GDT is archived but if you can see those here's that too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554738&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post416540360

Yeah, it was the Rashad/Hendo card which was one of the worst UFC PPV cards ever from a fight and buy rate stand point so he rightfully did not watch it or visit the forum at the time.

I didn't remember I was in the SMV thread that was great... however the worst post of that thread is the one that says "Roy will never not rule".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If Joanna doesn't win, she's gotta be in a rough place because I doubt she could get a third match against Rose in Strawweight

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

If Joanna doesn't win

I'm sorry... the what now?

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Marching Powder posted:

i look at this poo poo and can't help but shake my head.

a trip down memory lane has powerfully reinforced how much this place has changed. look at all these pieces of poo poo posting how much they love pithy vendetta probations - every single one of them incapable of posting anything anyone could even pretend to give a gently caress about.

enjoy yourselves

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

fatherdog was cool despite being convinced ronda would beat up male bantams

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

If Joanna doesn't win, she's gotta be in a rough place because I doubt she could get a third match against Rose in Strawweight

Y'know, I'm not sure. She probably SHOULDN'T get a third shot at Rose, but from the UFC's perspective she's still the most marketable challenger at 115 unless Waterson can finally crack the top 5, I doubt they'd have any compunction about doing Rose/Joanna 3: This Time In A Shark Cage.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

old.flv posted:

fatherdog was cool despite being convinced ronda would beat up male bantams

I thought he argued the opposite...

Dammit that would have been a perfect Nope reply

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

kensei posted:

I thought he argued the opposite...

Dammit that would have been a perfect Nope reply

nope.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I saw there were like 140 posts and it turns out it’s some weirdo having a meltdown. I though jones had actually killed someone or something

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CarlCX posted:

Y'know, I'm not sure. She probably SHOULDN'T get a third shot at Rose, but from the UFC's perspective she's still the most marketable challenger at 115 unless Waterson can finally crack the top 5, I doubt they'd have any compunction about doing Rose/Joanna 3: This Time In A Shark Cage.

I'm thinking about it from the perspective of Ronda/Miesha, where Miesha was the clear top contender for Ronda but couldn't get the match because she'd already been beaten by her more than once. Of course Ronda's implosion against Holly Holm and Nunes makes me wonder if maybe Miesha wouldn't have ended up getting a win on her after all, given that until that point she was the one who had given Ronda the most trouble in fights.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Automator posted:

I saw there were like 140 posts and it turns out it’s some weirdo having a meltdown. I though jones had actually killed someone or something

It'd have been a lot more than 140 if that happened

poo poo, didn't the thread get around 200 after the Jones wreck/flee/arrest before it was even revealed the victim's last name was Sonnenberg

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

actual good ufc thread things - that fozzy weirdo got banned after toxxing for conor

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I absolutely regret not being around live for Jones' CSAC Hearing, what an absolute clusterfuck that was.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Jerusalem posted:

I'm thinking about it from the perspective of Ronda/Miesha, where Miesha was the clear top contender for Ronda but couldn't get the match because she'd already been beaten by her more than once. Of course Ronda's implosion against Holly Holm and Nunes makes me wonder if maybe Miesha wouldn't have ended up getting a win on her after all, given that until that point she was the one who had given Ronda the most trouble in fights.
Not really comparable, since there's a fair few contenders Rose hasn't matched with yet in the division. Andrade and Suarez comes to mind, both of whom can probably give her trouble.

And you could argue Carmouche gave Ronda more trouble than Miesha ever did, considering she did manage to dislocate her jaw in their fight while Miesha never really threatened anything.

Speaking of, why is Carmouche not in the 125 discussion? She's dropped down and already has a win over Valentina.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

TheKingslayer posted:

I know in MMA things change a lot from straight kickboxing but I think you're right. Joanna might find herself in a weird spot after that fight.

Joanna herself said pretty much the same thing when asked about those fights recently: it was a long time ago, they're different fighters now, it's not going to be a kickboxing fight (I think it will be though, just in the cage). The reporter did seem to strike a nerve by asking about it though, so maybe she's motivated to prove she can beat Valentina. In any event it's a more compelling match up than Sijara Eubanks and they're crazy for ever having cancelled this fight in favor of that one.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

They probably think there's a better chance of Valentina being a star than Liz. They probably aren't wrong.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's a little different--overarchingly because WME-IMG is a lot less picky about title fights and Ronda was a megastar who popped interest no matter who she fought whereas Rose, while cool as hell, is still only really known to people who already closely follow fighting--but mostly Ronda was also kind of spoiled for credible challengers: McMann, Zingano, Holm and Correia were all undefeated with good highlight reels and 3/4 of them were champions in other sports, and Alexis Davis was on a really solid tear, whereas right now women's 115 is actually kind of a mess, if you go down the top ten:
  • Joanna's #1 but already got beat by the champion twice in a row
  • Andrade is the clear contender and will almost certainly get the next shot, but also got beat by Joanna
  • Gadelha's only won 1 fight, which was a super-close split decision against Esparza, and just before that got beat by Andrade
  • Suarez is a potentially solid contender but needs a top 5 win
  • Kowalkiewicz just got knocked the gently caress out by Andrade
  • Tecia just got dropped two in a row
  • Waterson is on her way back but just got beat by Torres and Rose a year ago
  • Esparza just dropped two in a row
  • Herrig just dropped two in a row
  • what is a Cortney Casey

So you've basically got one obvious contender and one obvious prospect, and then down in the lower ranks they would love to market the poo poo out of Mackenzie Dern if she could make weight and win a couple ranked fights, and that's sort of it. So if their options are "a fresh matchup with a contender barely anyone cares about who's only sort of credible" or "do Joanna again because she's still beating top contenders and more people know her than any other alternatives," I feel like they'll go :shrug:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ufc is coming to town, and I have the day off anyway. anyone been to one of the weigh-ins, or open workouts before? I can't find any info on where it'll be for ufc 231

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

CarlCX posted:

I think it's a little different--overarchingly because WME-IMG is a lot less picky about title fights and Ronda was a megastar who popped interest no matter who she fought whereas Rose, while cool as hell, is still only really known to people who already closely follow fighting--but mostly Ronda was also kind of spoiled for credible challengers: McMann, Zingano, Holm and Correia were all undefeated with good highlight reels and 3/4 of them were champions in other sports, and Alexis Davis was on a really solid tear, whereas right now women's 115 is actually kind of a mess, if you go down the top ten:
  • Joanna's #1 but already got beat by the champion twice in a row
  • Andrade is the clear contender and will almost certainly get the next shot, but also got beat by Joanna
  • Gadelha's only won 1 fight, which was a super-close split decision against Esparza, and just before that got beat by Andrade
  • Suarez is a potentially solid contender but needs a top 5 win
  • Kowalkiewicz just got knocked the gently caress out by Andrade
  • Tecia just got dropped two in a row
  • Waterson is on her way back but just got beat by Torres and Rose a year ago
  • Esparza just dropped two in a row
  • Herrig just dropped two in a row
  • what is a Cortney Casey

So you've basically got one obvious contender and one obvious prospect, and then down in the lower ranks they would love to market the poo poo out of Mackenzie Dern if she could make weight and win a couple ranked fights, and that's sort of it. So if their options are "a fresh matchup with a contender barely anyone cares about who's only sort of credible" or "do Joanna again because she's still beating top contenders and more people know her than any other alternatives," I feel like they'll go :shrug:

Andrade will crush thug rose and the division will be functional after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It still blows my mind to think about how effortlessly Ronda beat Zingano, but Zingano beat Nunes who would later on destroy Ronda.

I'll never be a MMAMathematician at this rate :smith: