Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Posting to say that I'm rocking above 100fps with a 6700k @ 4.5ghz in the latest reskin of DICE shootmans game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sormus posted:

Posting to say that I'm rocking above 100fps with a 6700k @ 4.5ghz in the latest reskin of DICE shootmans game.

I think DICE might have done something in their last update because while I was averaging like 50fps with a 7700HQ (3.4 all core) / GTX 1060 / 1080p on all low settings, I am now hitting refresh rate (60fps/hz) almost constantly on the same settings + mesh at ultra.

Supposedly mesh at ultra helps with spotting players, but damned if I've noticed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You're just old. I fail to see players on the horizon all the time, to, in games like PUBG et al.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I think DICE might have done something in their last update because while I was averaging like 50fps with a 7700HQ (3.4 all core) / GTX 1060 / 1080p on all low settings, I am now hitting refresh rate (60fps/hz) almost constantly on the same settings + mesh at ultra.

Supposedly mesh at ultra helps with spotting players, but damned if I've noticed.

Mesh on low is actually the "try hard" help you see people thing apparently. Mesh affects rendering distance of certain objects but they supposedly changed the way the setting works from BF1->BFV. I think on Low, certain buildable coverage is not rendered but players and vehicle models are.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

Mesh on low is actually the "try hard" help you see people thing apparently. Mesh affects rendering distance of certain objects but they supposedly changed the way the setting works from BF1->BFV. I think on Low, certain buildable coverage is not rendered but players and vehicle models are.

Thanks! Not that I noticed one way or the other, lol. Combat Pretzel: Is this what old age feels like?

One thing I've done is that I've set up a custom TS profile to throttle my CPU from 3.4 to 2.8 every time I touch 90c. So right now my processor is bouncing between 3.4 and 2.8 all core.

Is this a bad practice? Should I just set it to say run at a constant 3.1ghz (that way, I don't load at 90c but 89 which is kinda my 'limit')?

I'm on a laptop: Gigabyte Aero 15 with a 1060.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I suppose old age makes it harder to spot a small patch of brown moving across a different hue of brown. I kept getting owned, while I kept getting spotted crawling around. It was PUBG, I'm blaming cheating, but we know what the actual truth is.

eames
May 9, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thanks! Not that I noticed one way or the other, lol. Combat Pretzel: Is this what old age feels like?

One thing I've done is that I've set up a custom TS profile to throttle my CPU from 3.4 to 2.8 every time I touch 90c. So right now my processor is bouncing between 3.4 and 2.8 all core.

Is this a bad practice? Should I just set it to say run at a constant 3.1ghz (that way, I don't load at 90c but 89 which is kinda my 'limit')?

I'm on a laptop: Gigabyte Aero 15 with a 1060.

I think the cleaner solution would be to play with a TDP/turbo power limits so that you get roughly 90°C under sustained load. Then the CPU would dynamically throttle per core and in 100 MHz steps to meet that target, rather than bouncing between 2.8 and 3.4.

I'd like to point out that fast CPUs are a great investment in our future because as our visual acuity declines, we can run lower resolutions without noticing the image quality loss and that'll shifts the bottleneck away from the GPU.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Ultra settings for pve, lowest usable settings for pvp.

For another example; until a month or two ago in overwatch running below 100% render scale and on low settings would increase the size of the team color outline on players which can help a lot with target recognition. Overwatch also renders a lot of extra “stuff” on higher settings that isn’t actually there; usually it’s just in spawns but sometimes you can see through a plant on low settings but not on high.

Tournaments often (and LANs almost always) enforce uniform graphical settings for this reason. For example epic requires max settings to be used for fortnite tournaments.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ultra settings for pve, lowest usable settings for pvp.

For another example; until a month or two ago in overwatch running below 100% render scale and on low settings would increase the size of the team color outline on players which can help a lot with target recognition. Overwatch also renders a lot of extra “stuff” on higher settings that isn’t actually there; usually it’s just in spawns but sometimes you can see through a plant on low settings but not on high.

Tournaments often (and LANs almost always) enforce uniform graphical settings for this reason. For example epic requires max settings to be used for fortnite tournaments.

The cynic in me feels that Epic mandates max settings because tournaments are streamed a lot of the time, not for gameplay reasons

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ultra/Epic settings are worse for competitive gaming than any Overwatch settings because of all the shadows cast by the forestation.

You also get some post-processing shadow-like effect when ADSing.

Aside from the Model setting, Overwatch settings are mainly lowered for higher FPS. And I think it runs way better than Fortnite, too. Cracking a consistent 144 in Fortnite can be a tall order.

There was a huge outcry over it, too.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Green Gloves posted:

Gigabyte did out out a z390 overclocking manual so that definitely helps out a bunch. I highly recommend that for anyone being confused with the wonkiness.

Thanks for the heads up! :) For reference, this is it: https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/multimedia/2/file/525/946.pdf

I just got an Aorus Ultra Z390 on sale; not sure which processor I'm going to buy yet (depends on potential sales tomorrow), but I'm leaning towards the i7-9700k. I haven't done any overclocking in years, so I'm wondering: Would I really have to follow this guide step by step or is it not simply enough to slightly increase the multiplier?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Please don't gently caress your consumer electronics

Tesla thread leaking again

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Wengy posted:

Thanks for the heads up! :) For reference, this is it: https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/multimedia/2/file/525/946.pdf

I just got an Aorus Ultra Z390 on sale; not sure which processor I'm going to buy yet (depends on potential sales tomorrow), but I'm leaning towards the i7-9700k. I haven't done any overclocking in years, so I'm wondering: Would I really have to follow this guide step by step or is it not simply enough to slightly increase the multiplier?

If that's the same as it was at Z390 launch, it's not something you want to follow for a daily overclock. It's okay if what you're doing is trying to squeeze out every last point of a benchmark score in a one-off record attempt, but I think that's not what most people want. For a daily overclock you should use adaptive mode for your vcore voltage (allowing the CPU to use a lower voltage when it's at light or no load), you should not disable power management features such as speedshift/speedstep and C-states, and you should definitely not raise Tjmax from the default setting.

For running all cores at 5 GHz on a 9700K, enabling XMP and setting the LLC to some medium setting should be a good starting point. You might not need to muck around with manual voltages at all. Using an AVX offset (making the CPU clock down slightly under AVX loads) is probably a good idea too. For further details :justpost: in the overclocking thread.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 25, 2018

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

TheFluff posted:

If that's the same as it was at Z390 launch, it's not something you want to follow for a daily overclock. It's okay if what you're doing is trying to squeeze out every last point of a benchmark score in a one-off record attempt, but I think that's not what most people want. For a daily overclock you should use adaptive mode for your vcore voltage (allowing the CPU to use a lower voltage when it's at light or no load), you should not disable power management features such as speedshift/speedstep and C-states, and you should definitely not raise Tjmax from the default setting.

Thanks, that's very helpful!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
WCCF, so take it with a whole container of salt, but seriously, if it's true, it's just embarrassing: https://wccftech.com/intel-comet-lake-10-core-processors-rumor/

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

TheFluff posted:

For running all cores at 5 GHz on a 9700K, enabling XMP and setting the LLC to some medium setting should be a good starting point. You might not need to muck around with manual voltages at all. Using an AVX offset (making the CPU clock down slightly under AVX loads) is probably a good idea too. For further details :justpost: in the overclocking thread.

Whats wrong with running the same voltage and lets say a reasonable 4.8 ghz on all cores all the same time given the vcore (maybe 1.30 like the guide suggests) and thermals are within normal ranges? Does it degrade the cpu? The z390 Aorus has the supposedly has the best midrange vrm for boards under $200 and I assume it should be able to handle a reasonable overclock.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Green Gloves posted:

Whats wrong with running the same voltage and lets say a reasonable 4.8 ghz on all cores all the same time given the vcore (maybe 1.30 like the guide suggests) and thermals are within normal ranges? Does it degrade the cpu? The z390 Aorus has the supposedly has the best midrange vrm for boards under $200 and I assume it should be able to handle a reasonable overclock.

You gain almost nothing in stability by disabling power management features and adaptive voltage these days. All it does is make the CPU run unnecessarily hot at idle, using more power than it really needs. It doesn't really wear on the CPU much, but since you don't really gain anything either, why do it?

eames
May 9, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WCCF, so take it with a whole container of salt, but seriously, if it's true, it's just embarrassing: https://wccftech.com/intel-comet-lake-10-core-processors-rumor/

haha! what's with the dual ringbus rumor though, are those two buses in one Die or are they somehow gluing two 5C 8700Ks together?

also :v:

eames posted:

10 core Sky Kaby Coffee Lake in July 2019, calling it now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

HEDT CPUs with higher core counts had dual ring buses. That's how it was with Xeons. It'll probably introduce similar latency bullshit as with the Threadrippers, because ring hopping was apparently slow.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Holy poo poo

A rumble in Amazon's jungle: AWS now rents out homegrown 64-bit Arm server
processors

https://www-theregister-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2018/11/27/amazon_aws_a1/

eames
May 9, 2009

I did not know that Amazon acquired Annapurna Labs in 2015, they designed ARM chips for the lower end Synology NAS appliances.
Article states that the cores are based on Cortex-A72 (2015).
In-house designed processors for AWS are a very big deal. These CPUs will get faster and more competitive over time (think Apple A12X) but we will never be able to buy them on the open market, only as a cloud service through Amazon.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
That's cool but when can I buy an arm server for like $100 that can run unmodified centos?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

eames posted:

I did not know that Amazon acquired Annapurna Labs in 2015, they designed ARM chips for the lower end Synology NAS appliances.
Article states that the cores are based on Cortex-A72 (2015).
In-house designed processors for AWS are a very big deal. These CPUs will get faster and more competitive over time (think Apple A12X) but we will never be able to buy them on the open market, only as a cloud service through Amazon.

Mikrotik uses them: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB1100Dx4

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:discourse:

eames
May 9, 2009

German computerbase.de posted pictures of a new roadmap :iiam:

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-12/intel-cascade-lake-x-glacier-falls-pch-mainboard/

Q3/19 Glacier Falls PCH (Cascade Lake-X)
rumored 9-series "-KF" without iGPUs, curious if binned with disabled iGPU or cost-saving with smaller die
Z390 and Z370 (!) listed all the way to Q4/19 which is interesting in light of the 10C dual-ringbus rumors.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
My overclocked i9900K is at 4,9 GHz allcore and under the Corsair H150i it’s not breaking 75 Degree Celsius in the Firestrike CPU Benchmark.
This seems to be way cooler than expected? Which is good, I guess ?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

My overclocked i9900K is at 4,9 GHz allcore and under the Corsair H150i it’s not breaking 75 Degree Celsius in the Firestrike CPU Benchmark.
This seems to be way cooler than expected? Which is good, I guess ?

I don't think firestrike is too thermally taxing.. if you wanna see heat it's prime95 with avx

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
AVX Prime will be hotter than any real app, it depends on what type of stability matters to you if it matters or not. If you reboot every day, probably not, if you leave your computer on for weeks at a time, probably.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

craig588 posted:

AVX Prime will be hotter than any real app, it depends on what type of stability matters to you if it matters or not. If you reboot every day, probably not, if you leave your computer on for weeks at a time, probably.

A decent compromise is disabling AVX in the Prime95 config files (CpuSupportsAVX=0 in local.txt) and running various size FFT tests. Here's a good reference (ignore the version recommendations, use the most recent version and disable AVX as mentioned): https://overclocking.guide/stability-testing-with-prime-95/

Also, Asus' RealBench uses an AVX load which uses a much more realistic mixture of AVX instructions vs. the pure AVX torture test that Prime95 uses. This is probably the best one-stop test for stability, as several newer games use some AVX instructions. Nothing uses AVX like Prime95 so it's probably not a great test with AVX enabled, unless your workload is literally just finding mersenne primes.

AIDA64 and Intel Burn Test are also good for testing your cooling solution. IBT in particular will light your CPU up.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
IBT v2 is my go to cpu stress test app. 10 minutes of that is worth about 2 hours of prime95

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
I read randomly scattered that IBT could “harm” systems. I guess this is bollocks?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you have poor cooling and are not monitoring temperatures, sure. If it jumps to 90C in less than a minute and the cooler is overwhelmed it could cause damage if you leave it running. I wouldn't worry about any of the stability tools while monitoring temperatures.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
The 9900K will throttle at 100 degrees anyway and throttle or does IBT override this?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Mr.PayDay posted:

The 9900K will throttle at 100 degrees anyway and throttle or does IBT override this?

IBT definitely overrides voltages, but unless you're already at chip-killing levels, it won't damage anything in the short term. Most consumer motherboards won't let you even select the kind of voltage that kills chips in the short term (except for a few with physical "LN2" switches that you have to physically engage). It doesn't override thermal protection.

Also just want to stress that IBT is a *cooling* test, not a stability test. Overclocks that are actually 24/7 stable in 99.999999999% of workloads can/will fail in IBT.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2018

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Thanks for the clarification :cop: after spending some grands on this fps addicted gaming rig I don’t wanna risk anything

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9EMlxdCrM

Finally the review we've all waited for.

Wild how well the 2600k still holds up after 8 years.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

OhFunny posted:

:chloe: frame hitching

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

OhFunny posted:

My 2500k is still holding up fairly well but I'm only aiming for 1080p or 1440p at 60fps with a GTX1070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

spasticColon posted:

My 2500k is still holding up fairly well but I'm only aiming for 1080p or 1440p at 60fps with a GTX1070.

Same with my 2500k@4.4Ghz and a 980Ti. I also only run 1080p@60Hz. But I hardly have time for any gaming anyway. It's amazing that this PC holds up fine 7 years later with only a GPU and SSD upgrade.